Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hello Sifu Terry,

After watching the above video I am wondering if it takes a photographic like memory to be able to learn all of those movements for video 4 in your Flying Phoenix series. My short term visual memory learning disorder was one reason that I had to stop doing Flying Phoenix. It was just taking me too long to memorize so many movements and then when I was able to do so, there was then the next video in the series to learn. I found that to be stressful during the learning stage for each video.

Hello Sifu Terry,

After watching the above video I am wondering if it takes a photographic like memory to be able to learn all of those movements for video 4 in your Flying Phoenix series. My short term visual memory learning disorder was one reason that I had to stop doing Flying Phoenix. It was just taking me too long to memorize so many movements and then when I was able to do so, there was then the next video in the series to learn. I found that to be stressful during the learning stage for each video.

Steve,

Different Qigong, Yoga, and meditation systems use different alchemic methods to first integrate mind and body and then to perfect and purify the Mind-body.  FP Qigong is a concentrative meditation system, and memorizing the breath-control sequence associated with each Meditation, memorizing the postures of the basic FP Meditations, and learning and memorizing the choreographies of the moving meditations--from the simpler ones like Wind Above the Clouds to the most complex one in the system, the "Long Form Standing Med." taught in Vol.4--is the gist of the mental training.  Learning and memorizing the movements of all the meditations engages a most sophisticated form of visualization, which actually enhances and increases intelligence.  The Long Form Meditation is challenging to memorize--but no more so than learning any Tai Chi form.

Having a visual memory disorder would definitely slow down your learning process.  But it's possible to devise means to work around and compensate for that handicap.  They are rare and extraordinary, but there have been some great blind martial artists and yogis.  Visual memory is one frame of reference; you might try to learn the FP choreographies by inventing auditory and kinetic cues to teach yourself each movement.  After all, before there was television, video, and internet, the ancients used mnemonics and oral teachings and at best, illustrated manuals to preserve and transmit these arts.

Maybe after you give FP Qigong a good rest, you can re-approach it with a different perspective on the longer moving meditations.  You shouldn't be daunted.  Where there's a will there's a way.  And as Sifu Garry says, "Slow and steady is the Way."

Best always,

Sifu Terry

P.S.  Here is a new video that I just posted today on youtube:  It's my demo in Montana last April 24 of the Preparatory or Foundational Form of "Eight Sections of Energy Combined Kung Fu" (Bat Din Gum).  This yogic exercise has some physically challenging postures such as the "dragon drop" seated position which is done twice, but the rest of the choreography is done slowly and is not much more complex than Tai Chi forms.  The fact that this exercise is the Foundational Form--and not even one of the essential "Eight Sections" of the art, gives you the idea of how sophisticated and ingenious this BDG art is.  Enjoy.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

Beautiful and one of a kind movements there for sure, Sifu Terry.

I think I speak for others on this forum when I say that I would love for you to post exactly what you are experiencing internally during that routine.

• Like 1

Hi from Manila, everyone.

I waded through this entire thread in about two-ish weeks, and it was worth it.

I spoke privately with Sifu Terry via email, and as I await the arrival of my contact this Sunday to bring me the six DVDs with FP, I feel Christmas is coming early for me as I add more knowledge to learn. Currently, I'm a young professional who did his time in the Peace Corps and in various NGOs in Southeast Asia. Naturally, the easiest way to stay grounded and to serve people beyond programs and funding was speaking to the heart through qigong. I am a private medical qigong therapist here and do Liuhebafa with Yi Quan (combined as Xin Yi) and Yang 108 Taiji, and have other skills such as Pranic Healing and Reiki, multiple practices in tarot and Sanskrit mantra, and am eager to learn alongside you, fellow students.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I would like to share with you a recent email conversation with Eric Isen, the absolutely skilled medical clairvoyant and friend of tao_stillness. This was about my interest in another great art, which seems to draw me to it - besides FP. I asked him if he could assess if the Tao Tan Pai system would 1. suit me in terms of spiritual and bodily progress and 2. In what way would the above system complement my current practice of "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations".

His answers were:

1. Excellent benefits from Tao Tan Pei. Development of intuition abilities and right brain function. More subtle and refined perception. And very important cleansing and expansion of heart chakra.

2. It combines well with Flying Phoenix by enhancing everything that is being developed by that system It will strengthen and increase all the benefits of Flying Phoenix. This combination is highly recommended."

I also shared this very positive and inspiring assessment with Sifu Terry. He also gave further information for me to share with you about Tao Tan Pai and FP:

"How much of these two arts does one need to master  before "mixing" the practices? 

My posting in reply will reflect my current thinking on "mixing" the 2 practices:
My earlier orthodox view that I held for many years was that FP Qigong and Tao Tan Pai should be learned separately to a very substantial extent before mixing the two practices.  Ideally, one should learn all the FP Qigong material in Vols.1 through 4 first--just to have that much of the system established before "mixing in" Tao Tan Pai as a catalyst.  And the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Qigong should be learned in its entirety before one mixes that with FP Qigong or any other practice.  This is advised so that one has clear and undeniable experience of precisely how each of the FP Meditations affects the body and mind and how each of the TTP-31 Meditations work as well.

However, recently--and your reading by Eric Isen has made me think further on the issue, I feel that there is no harm to practice any exercises of the Tao Tan Pai 31 while one is learning the FP Qigong from scratch, or to supplement and further activate any level of FP Qigong practice.  It all depends how much time one has to practice...and how much FP Qigong practice one wants to sacrifice or trade-off for Tao Tan Pai.

However, practice of each of the higher levels of the Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung (there are 
4 advanced levels beyond the TTP-31) must be done discretely and completely with no mixing.  Otherwise, the results could be catastrophic to one's health and well-being." Quote from Sifu Terry

So, I didn't want to derail this thread in any way but just to inspire you and give you information about another great art besides FP. I will surely be continuing to practice FP but in the long run I am going to learn Tao Tan Pai also.

Greetings,
Julian
Edited by Joolian
  • Like 3

Hi Sifu Terry, I'm hoping you can also weigh in on Tao Ahn Pai and FP. Can you help me understand how FP and Tao Ahn Pai work together? Do they complement each other and if so how? 

What benefit would I get practicing both that couldn't be obtained by practicing each art exclusively?

I know in past conversations we've had offline you said they are "different energies" but can you elaborate on that as well?
  • Like 1

Hi from Manila, everyone. I waded through this entire thread in about two-ish weeks, and it was worth it. I spoke privately with Sifu Terry via email, and as I await the arrival of my contact this Sunday to bring me the six DVDs with FP, I feel Christmas is coming early for me as I add more knowledge to learn. Currently, I'm a young professional who did his time in the Peace Corps and in various NGOs in Southeast Asia. Naturally, the easiest way to stay grounded and to serve people beyond programs and funding was speaking to the heart through qigong. I am a private medical qigong therapist here and do Liuhebafa with Yi Quan (combined as Xin Yi) and Yang 108 Taiji, and have other skills such as Pranic Healing and Reiki, multiple practices in tarot and Sanskrit mantra, and am eager to learn alongside you, fellow students.

Hi Earl Gray,

Welcome to the FP Qigong thread and thanks for sharing your background with everyone.  There's a lot of support available here on this forum from many FP practitioners besides my responses to questions and comments.

I hope you have great exploration of Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations.  I kind of envy you as you're starting FP Qigong at such a nice young age.  I learned the system from GM Doo Wai when I was 37 to 41 years old.  But it feels like the timing and progression of all my personal training was pre-destined.

All the Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Hi Earl Gray,

Welcome to the FP Qigong thread and thanks for sharing your background with everyone.  There's a lot of support available here on this forum from many FP practitioners besides my responses to questions and comments.

I hope you have great exploration of Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations.  I kind of envy you as you're starting FP Qigong at such a nice young age.  I learned the system from GM Doo Wai when I was 37 to 41 years old.  But it feels like the timing and progression of all my personal training was pre-destined.

All the Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

And I have often been reprimanded for believing I started late at the age of 28 in serious Taoist practice four years ago (or six if you include the two years my teachers made me sit before agreeing to teach me) compared to my peers who started as teens or prepubescents. Then I learned T.T. Liang I believe barely started at 40 and he became quite skilled and mastered Northern Mantis.

I tried the first standing meditation the other day and already saw some blue light on my fingertips. Wow. Haven't been able to continue unless at a friend's house because I live in front of the train station and my headphones are inadequate at canceling noise. Wow, I didn't realize how sensitive and irritable i can become at noise as has been mentioned here many times when doing form.

• Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry,

I'm hoping you can also weigh in on Tao Ahn Pai and FP. Can you help me understand how FP and Tao Ahn Pai work together? Do they complement each other and if so how?

What benefit would I get practicing both that couldn't be obtained by practicing each art exclusively?

I know in past conversations we've had offline you said they are "different energies" but can you elaborate on that as well?

Hi Yuyumonk,

I will answer your questions by starting with the third question first, and then pick up the other 3.

Q#3: What benefit would I get practicing both that couldn't be obtained by practicing each art exclusively?

A.) Flying Phoenix Qigong (FPCK) and Tao Tan Pai (TTP) Nei Kung are very different methods of Qigong from very different martial art traditions. TTP dates back to the Tang Dynasty (700 A.D.) and attributes its creation to Taoist saint (Immortal) Lu Deng Bin. FP Qigong was created by Taoist Feng Dao De in 1644 and the oral tradition states that he was inspired to create FP Qigong through a visitation in the dreamstate by a Buddhist spiritual entity.

The alchemic yogic formula by which FP Qigong cultivates its purely healing energy is totally different from that of TTP, which cultivates an energy that can be either martial or healing--depending on one's shen. TTP has a very large and substantial shen qi (shen energy) component, for as you know, it as a set of meditations called the Shen Exercises.

My basic answer is: If you don't practice FP Qigong then you don't ever cultivate the remarkable Flying Phoenix Healing Energy, which channels into a supramundane current or “trunk” of energy, as GM Doo Wai put it.

If you don't practice TTP, you don't develop its excellent body mechanics, you don't cultivate its internal energy, nor learn the capacity to use one’s "shen qi' and "qing qi" together to heal others by consciously balancing their energy system(s). And you don't condition your internal organs to singularly and collectively to withstand martial blows. That is, you don't develop the skill to instinctively move protective energy from one part of the body to another to protect that part from an imminent strike to it. Not training in TTP to the end means that one does't get to experience TTP's particular manifestation of the ancient Taoist adage: "healer by day; martial arts instructor by night.

Also, if one does not do TTP to its most advanced levels--meaning learning the last two advanced yogas called "the 9 Flowers" and the "5 Dragons", one does not get to treble one's energy level (at a minimum) and does not develop one's shen, or psychic awareness, to the extent that one can literally see automatically all life forms as energy and all humans in their karmic totality-- in the same mode that Castaneda describes in his books chronicling his apprenticeship in what he called Yaqui Indian sorcery.

FP Qigong and the other Bok Fu Pai Meditaiton systems fully develop shen to this same degree, but they do not do it in what I would describe as such a "compact, speedy and efficient" manner as the TTP system does it. TTP does it entirely through the its two most advanced Yogas. The transformative effects of this higher training on consciousness and bodily energy is profound and almost surreal--in terms of a beginner's frame of reference. These particular energy effects are the transformative hallmarks of Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung.

Q#4: I know in past conversations we've had offline you said they are "different energies" but can you elaborate on that as well?

The energy cultivated by FP Qigong is purely a healing energy that cannot be transformed into a martial energy. The FP Healing Energy has a distinct tangible feel, specific salient physiological benefits, and after a certain amount of correct practice, creates an aura around and within the body of a specific color. As I've discussed over the years on this thread, this healing energy, once it is cultivated to super-abundance, has the incredibly unique and splendid quality of spontaneously "jumping off" of the practitioner and infusing into anyone in proximity who has disease or injury and for which one has positive regard. No yogic energy that I have ever encountered on earth has this ability to automatically transfer itself.

Tao Tan Pai Energy, per my experience and my observation of it others, does not have a specific color that is universally visible to every practitioner. The exception is that after practicing the most advanced yoga in that system, any person with good shen (and not necessarily a TTP practitioner) can see the effects of its cultivation as a mythic Chinese animal of residing at a particular locus in the body.

The healing methods using FP energy and those of TTP are very different because the 2 energies are so very different. As I shared in the thread, GM Doo Wai who was a friend, peer and contemporary of GM Share K. Lew, and contrasted the differences in their healing methods in a nutshell by saying: "We don't manipulate energy; we just pass our hand over." There is much, much more to the differences, but that's one sufficient elegant summation. And it absolutely does not mean that one's healing method is better than the other. It just means that the energies are different. It is the testimonial of GM Doo Wai as to the spontaneous and automatic nature of the FP Healing Energy.

Q#1: Can you help me understand how FP and Tao Ahn Pai work together?

To answer your first question, I will start by putting it this way:

• Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu inclusive of its Nei Kung stands by itself, as does FP Qigong and its encompassing Bok Fu Pai system.

• FP Qigong adds another level of healing power to the TTP practitioner.

• Practicing the TTP system at any level accelerates and enhances the cultivation process of FP Qigong and grounds it tremendously.

One’s FP Qigong cultivation is naturally further accelerated if one is also practicing any one of the Bok Fu Pai martial arts, for these arts all came from the same spiritual source (except for the arts that the Doo Wai lineage acquired before it received the teachings of Feng Dao De.

Q#2: Do they complement each other and if so how?

My final elaboration of how Tao Tan Pai greatly enhances Flying Phoenix Qigong's cultivation is in two parts:

A) Yes. As posted on this forum a couple of times, when I showed GM Doo Wai just a glimpse of the advanced TTP Nei Kung and asked him if I could continuing doing them why I was learning his system (FP), he said, knowing that I had done about 16 years of TTP training up to that point, he answered, "Yes, you can mix the two energies." So that is the answer to your question from the oldest living source of FP Qigong.

B.) My student in Germany, "Joolian", recently engaged American medical clairvoyant Eric Isen (whom Tao Stllness has worked with extensively and first brought to my attention several years ago) and asked him the very same question that you posed here. Joolian was very kind to share his consultation with me and permit me to post it here, beginning with his email's third paragraph:

I hope you don't mind me asking Eric Isen for a qigong assessment for me. This was in no way that I would have doubted the genuineness of Tao Tan Pai, but I was interested if this art would complement my personal FP practice :) So I guess you would also be interested in Eric's most positive answer:

"> The questions would be:

>

> 1. Would the Qigong System "Tao Tan Pai (also known as Taoist Elixir Method)" suit me in terms of spiritual and bodily progress?

>

> 2. In what way would the above system complement my current practice of "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations"?

1. Excellent benefits from Tao Tan Pei. Development of intuition abilities and right brain function. More subtle and refined perception. And very important cleansing and expansion of heart chakra.

2. It combines well with Flying Phoenix by enhancing everything that is being developed by that system It will strengthen and increase all the benefits of Flying Phoenix. This combination is highly recommended."

I am very happy with this answer and I am all the more inspired to learn it.

It’s my experience and opinion that TTP Nei Kung complements and enhances FP Qigong more than FP Qigong complements TTP. This is because TTP Nei Kung works with the body’s generative force (sexual energy) and thus is rejuvenating to the extent that its practice can replace sleep to a certain extent. In contrast, Flying Phoenix Qigong and none of the Bok Fu Pai internal arts, according to my experience and according to GM Doo Wai’s answer to my question.

Thanks to "Joolian" and sharing your Eric Isen reading and thanks to you, yuyumonk, for asking your questions. For they allowed me to make the above reminder to FP practitioners-- especially beginners-- of how best to learn FP Qigong and how best to learn the TTP system.

Carry on.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 5

I might have already posted in the past what I am going to say about Sifu Terry's answers in the above post.

There is no qigong teacher online or in person that I know of or ever heard of who goes to the trouble to provide such detailed, exhaustive, educational, enlightening and informative vital replies to questions about the energy arts. Many of his answers are discourses. We cannot even imagine the gem that his forth coming book will be.

• Like 5

To Yuyumonk and to All:

I decided to abstract this section of my answer to Yuyumon in Post #3659 and post it separately here because I feel it's important ot clearly define how much of Flying Phoenix Qigong and also how of Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung one should fully establish before adding or blending in another Qigong practice into one's practice schedule and life.

FP Qigong and Tao Tan Pai work together best if either one is fully or at least substantially established before the other Qigong system is started.

1.) It is best to thoroughly establish a foundation in either one of the systems before mixing in the energy of the other. That means that one should have completed--at the very least-- all the FP Qigong Meditations in the DVD series up through the Long Form Standing meditation taught on Vol.4 of the DVD series. Ideally, one should have that capstone exercise (called "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation") learned well before adding any other Qigong practice--including Tao Tan Pai. That's because having that capstone form down noticeably increases immunity and subsumes the practice of all the 7 preceding FP standing meditations. From having this key meditation under one's belt, one will have a solid yogic frame of reference in order to understand other Qigong methods.

Here again is my recent recorded practice of this Meditation in its entirety that I posted above on #3650 is done at a faster than normal practice speed, due to the dynamic energy of the elements that day alongside Lake McDonald).

2.) In order for TTP practice to have an enhancing effect on Flying Phoenix Qi cultivation, at the very least, one should have learned and practiced the four-exercise sequence within the Tao Tan Pai 31 system known as "The Power Yoga" before starting FPCK or any other qigong practice. Ideally, one should have established the entire TTP-31 system before adding another Qigong practice.

For once you have the TTP-31 under your belt or you have the first fourteen (14) Flying Phoenix Meditations taught on Volumes 1 through 4), then you will be able to clearly feel and distinguish how each system cultivates internal energy in its own very unique and powerful way, and how each system's cultivated energy works so very differently.

With regard to learning Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung properly: It is the unanimous opinion and modus operandi of all my TTP classmates who completed the course of training and my only remaining senior school brothers) that one must learn the 5 TTP Animal Kung Fu Forms in order to safely practice and derive benefits from the higher TTP Yogas: that means Six Stars, 9 Flowers, and 5 Dragons. Our rule of thumb is to not to teach anyone the last two Yogas of FFP unless the students are proficient in the TTP animal forms. This Nei Kung--along with most that i know about--just works better with a solid kung fu foudation. Of course a master of any internal system such as Tai Chi Chuan, Bagua, Xing-I, IChuan or Liu he Ba Fa, etc., can do the entire TTP Nei Kung system without having to do the TTP Animal Kung Fu Forms. Even so, there exists yoga built into the TTP Kung Fu forms that is synergistic with the TTP Nei Kung cultivation process and further intensifies and grounds it. So for beginners with no martial arts background, getting grounded in the TTP Animal forms is an absolute must. No other way around them for beginners.

In contrast, FP Qigong does not necessarily require a Kung Fu foundation in order to fully benefit from the system. Its still and moving meditations develop the bare basics of a martial arts foundation even though there is no martial intent throughout the FP Qigong training. As Sifu Hearfield described many times, the FP Qigong and the Sunn Yi gung that he preserves both have hidden martial techniques and reflexes. So one can get away with learning FP Qigong by itself as a free-standing system if one is NOT interested in martial arts at all . FP Qigong is a complete monastic medical qigong system.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Readers of this blog already know that I am not the most sensitive person when it comes to feeling subtle energies. Even so, I can attest to what Sifu Terry states about noticing the differences in energies between TTP and Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

I did volumes 1,2, was learning 3, did volume 5 and a few from vol. 7 for about 2 years daily. I recently was doing the first 4 exercises of TTP plus the Shen Candle meditation and then the Earth meditation as taught to me by one of Lew K. Share's early students from the early 1970's when he began learning from him at age 18 and over 40 years later he still does TTP regularly. In fact, I have communicated with 4 old students of this system and they all are still doing this method for the past 3-4 decades and speak highly of it as a treasure.

I am able to experience the difference in how the energies feel between FP and TTP. It is just one more example of how unique FP energy feels compared to any other type of qigong, and I have tried probably 30 different qigong methods, some are considered to be the most powerful and most effective methods that are known. My own subjective experience is that none of them feel as good to me as Flying Phoenix energy. Some give me a stronger feeling of chi in between my hands but the other methods do not create for me the feeling of being in a cloud of energy that surrounds parts of my body. I stopped doing TTP because of the time constraints due to my family circumstances. Also, there is a more physical, callisthenic effort required doing TTP which I do not enjoy as I really disliked high school gym class, LOL. In contrast, FP movements are smooth and gentle flowing that seem to just glide on their own. But I have been told the benefits from TTP make it worth doing.  

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 2

Not to divert the discussion but Tao Stillness, If I remember correctly it was you who, a few months back, discussed experimenting with the 90 second meditations on the 5th DVD, I was wondering if you ever got around to trying them and what kind of results they yielded?

Yes, I started to relearn them but just could not find the time to fit them in, was juggling too many things. But the brief time that I did them I did not notice any sensations from them. I wanted to do them again like I did a few years ago because of the wonderful benefits that Eric Isen saw them doing. I think it was a matter of just never doing them for a long enough period.

Did Eric Isen comment on how much of the FP Chi they induce, compared to the longer regular meditations in DVD's 1 & 2?

I ask because I've managed to resume a rudimentary daily qigong & meditation practice with the help of the herbal regime Eric recommended (thanks again for putting me in touch with him, by the way), but I think any of the longer meditations might be too intensive at this stage, so I'm looking for a way to integrate some of the FP practice into my daily routine without causing a recurrence of the side effects I was getting.

No, he did not since that is not a question that I ever asked him. You could ask him that question however.

Eric is trained in the oldest system of health care, Ayur Veda, so he sees things in those terms so most of his reports about what he sees from various qigong methods are reported in terms of the effects that a qigong method has on the chakras, and the organs of the body. The dan tians of TCM are not the same as chakras.

Interesting, I'll try to remember to raise the subject in my followup appointment, I'm nearly done with the first 3 month herbal regime he recommended. Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

I just checked out the link using both Safari and Firefox browsers (from a Mac) and it works fine.

You can also see it by entering this link using any web browser:

or search under  "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation Terence Dunn".

A few more videos coming.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Have just discovered this ..

watched it,  then i did the mirror image while watching the performance i.e., eyes open ...

It is faster than I have ever done the form,  not as powerful to me as my daily practice of course it lacks the breathing so I was not expecting it would be.

However,  it was quite energizing enough that I immediately did it a second time,,  that too was very 'hot'  

Thanks for this video.   

Now i have to watch and study the Eight sections videos...

Peace Charlie

• Like 1

You might want to ask Eric which herbs would enhance your practice of qigong.

I'll bring it up, but right now I'm focused on just dealing with the side effects as I establish a daily practice (on the theory that the side effects will balance out and slowly fade through proper practice on top of the lifestyle changes I've made and the herbal treatments).

Have just discovered this ..

watched it,  then i did the mirror image while watching the performance i.e., eyes open ...

It is faster than I have ever done the form,  not as powerful to me as my daily practice of course it lacks the breathing so I was not expecting it would be.

However,  it was quite energizing enough that I immediately did it a second time,,  that too was very 'hot'  

Thanks for this video.   

Now i have to watch and study the Eight sections videos...

Peace Charlie

Hi Charlie,

The speed at which I'm doing the Long Form Standing Meditation is not the optimal, super-slow, speed-of-a-shifting-sand-dune,  but is about as fast as anyone should do it to derive health benefits.

As I explained on the post, I was inspired by the majestic scenery and dynamic, roiling elements to jump out of the car, lock off the camera,  and practice a few forms on the spot.  Of course, I did the priming breathing sequences of each meditation;  I just didn't show it on each demo clip.  I simply moved in accord with the energy of the environment.

Peace,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Hello FP Practitioners,

I am posting this video as a benchmark or "tip-of-the-iceberg reference point to allude to what makes a complete internal martial art system.  This, as I described early in my postscript on Post #3652, is the Preparatory form of "Eight Sections of Energy Combined Kung Fu" (Bat Din Gum).  It is not one of the 8 Sections, or key Forms, but is a "foundational" exercise .   This yogic exercise has some physically challenging postures such as the "dragon drop" seated position which is done twice, but the rest of the choreography is done slowly and is not much more complex than Tai Chi forms.  The fact that this exercise is the Foundational Form--and not even one of the essential "Eight Sections" of the art, gives you the idea of how sophisticated and ingenious this BDG art is.

I am making this form available here also because I want to invite and encourage anyone interested in learning the Eight Sections of Energy Combined art to learn and practice this preparatory form as a first step.  If one learns this exercise properly, I will give him or her the breathing formula through private consultation.  It is an excellent primer and advanced form for practitioners of any style of Tai Chi Chuan, btw, because of the physiological effects the strenuous dragon-drop positions have.

Enjoy.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Hi Charlie,

The speed at which I'm doing the Long Form Standing Meditation is not the optimal, super-slow, speed-of-a-shifting-sand-dune,  but is about as fast as one should do it.

As I explained on the post, I was inspired by the majestic scenery and dynamic, roiling elements elements to jump out of the car and practice a few forms on the spot.  The energy of the environment was such that I moved accordingly.

Peace,

Sifu Terry

landscape and location have always  had  an importance  so  I  understand that energy  well

thanks again for these video posts

• Like 1