Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

home from hospital/surgery last thurs couple days in hospital  ...  first attempts at FPCK  were less than great.   Breath is short and still lots of internal pressure from the CO2 in my abdomen.   Today  I did  ASMSW 4  pretty fast as my breath stayed short.   I hope to keep doing a little more each day.  Still not up for the long form and certain I will have to go pretty quickly the first few times I do practice it.

good to be back at practice even if it is short and modified significantly 

Get well soon. :)

Hello Sifu Terry Dunn, You do these 3 rounds of the long form just before going to sleep?

Have a nice day FPQ practitioners

Hi John,

No. I did it in the late morning around 10 am. 3 rounds of the Long Meditation probably would be fine in the evening before sleeping...although it would naturally be quite invigorating.

Best,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Thank you Sifu Terry Dunn for all of your wisdom on this board. Since you were talking about how the FP does not substitute sleep, does anyone know of anything than can help when you don't get a good nights rest?

• Like 2

I have posted this info previously. There is a female chi kung master called Qinway who sells chi infused teas that I have used and they do not have caffeine but supercharged me when I hardly had sleep. I tried this multiple times and had great results each time.

• Like 2

home from hospital/surgery last thurs couple days in hospital  ...  first attempts at FPCK  were less than great.   Breath is short and still lots of internal pressure from the CO2 in my abdomen.   Today  I did  ASMSW 4  pretty fast as my breath stayed short.   I hope to keep doing a little more each day.  Still not up for the long form and certain I will have to go pretty quickly the first few times I do practice it.

good to be back at practice even if it is short and modified significantly 

Hi Charlie,

I hope you are recovering nicely and are are more comfortable.  If you're not up and around as much as before yet, a good recuperative Qigong exercise is Monk Holding Pearl done lying on your back (with hands held at the tan tien, as usual.).  This is one of the exercises that I wrote into a medical protocol for a major medical center in L.A. in year 2000 (--the first Qigong protocol every established in a major American hospital...so it's been thoroughly vetted and approved by this hospital's Investigative Research Board (IRB)).

All the Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Sifu Terry,

I've recently resumed my FP practice, and I've been noticing more and more what you emphasize in this thread - that the energy it cultivates (the "blue" chi) isn't just an excess of the "regular" chi which circulates through the body, but has it's own unique properties. Most surprisingly, I've noticed that it almost seems to have a sense of awareness or volition - I could swear that during practice I can feel the energy actually adjusting my posture where it's out of alignment, or flowing towards areas of my body which are causing problems.

I was wondering if you could explain a bit more about where this energy comes from? Is it something which exists dormant in the body and is activated by the combination of breath sequences and movements? Is it brought in from some external source? Something else entirely?

• Like 2

Sifu Terry,

I've recently resumed my FP practice, and I've been noticing more and more what you emphasize in this thread - that the energy it cultivates (the "blue" chi) isn't just an excess of the "regular" chi which circulates through the body, but has it's own unique properties. Most surprisingly, I've noticed that it almost seems to have a sense of awareness or volition - I could swear that during practice I can feel the energy actually adjusting my posture where it's out of alignment, or flowing towards areas of my body which are causing problems.

I was wondering if you could explain a bit more about where this energy comes from? Is it something which exists dormant in the body and is activated by the combination of breath sequences and movements? Is it brought in from some external source? Something else entirely?

Hi Aeran,

I'm glad to hear that you've recently felt more of the unique qualities of the blue Flying Phoenix Healing Energy and I'm especially glad to hear that you were able to discern that the FP Healing Energy is not the same type of Chi that one might become aware of from doing meditation, or basic forms of Indian Yoga, or from doing Tai Chi Chuan. As I've stated throughout this thread, the FP Healing Chi is a distinctive and unique healing energy with amazing and profound properties, such as the "awareness and volition" that you described, which, as I've described in the past on this thread, is demonstrated in its spontaneous "jumping off" of one's body to heal another human nearby for which one has concern and the even slightest positive regard without having any focussed intention to heal).

My answers to your questions follow:

I was wondering if you could explain a bit more about where this energy comes from?

As I stated in Year One of this thread, the FP Healing Chi is both cultivated within one's body through the Chi Kung and it is then magnified when the practitioner's consciousness merges with and taps into the celestial "stem" (or macrocosmic "trunk") of the Flying Phoenix Healing Energy and spiritual consciousness.

Is it something which exists dormant in the body and is activated by the combination of breath sequences and movements?

No, the FP Healing Energy does not exist in a dormant manner in the body. It is not inherent nor intrinsic to the human being. As you yourself had stated in your post, FP Healing Energy is not an "excess" of the "regular chi" that circulates throughout one's body and which one can feel and become aware of in natural postures such as Wu-chi.

If one never practiced FP Qigong, one would never experience the FP Healing Chi and its healing and rejuvenating benefits. For if the FP Healing Chi is inherent or intrinsic part of the human process, one would not need to do the FP breath sequences and movements to activate it...one's aura would naturally be blue and have healing effects without requiring any special FP Qigong exercises to manifest it. The potential to cultivate the FP Healing Energy through practice of the FP Qigong, of course, exists in every human being.

The Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Kung (Fei Feng San Gung) is the gift from Heaven to mortal man to heal mind, body and soul and raise human consciousness to Heaven.

Is it brought in from some external source? Something else entirely?

It is both: (A) created within the body by way of the FP Qigong and ( B ) at some point, spontaneously merged with the external macrocosmic trunk or stem of FP Heavenly Healing Chi through the sudden consciousness that the FP Energy within is the same as that which exists without. When a practitioner becomes aware of this connection between his microcosmic energy with the macrocosmic "trunk" of FP Energy varies from person to person.

At this point in my life, the only popular Meditation tradition in the West that I know of, which has some similarities to the consciousness and structural sensitivity facilitated by the FP Qigong is the Oneness Meditation Movement conducted by Sri Bhagavan and his wife Amma, for when Steve Mehl ("Tao Stillness") introduced the Oneness Meditation's consciousness to me via this thread through the remote readings of FP Qigong exercises by medical clairvoyant Eric Isen, who is a deeksha (and initiate who has the yogic -psychic power to serve as a battery and distributor of Oneness Meditation Consciousness) in the Oneness Movement, I instantly and then repeatedly felt Oneness Meditation's very specific activation of certain brain centers, which affects a different configuration of specific brain centers than the one that FP Qigong activates. As I had stated earlier in the thread, I somehow channeled and experienced the Oneness Meditation's brain activation from simply reading an email written by Eric Isen that Steve Mehl had forwarded to me containing Eric's most accurate remote reading of the health-and-spiritual benefits of several FP Qigong exercises plus a few others that I suggested that Steve have him check out.

The origin and source of the Oneness Meditation Movement's energy channel is created and upheld by a monastic community in India. Similarly, the celestial "stem" conducting the FP Healing Energy was created at the Ehrmeishan monastery in 1644 according to the Bok Fu Pai oral tradition, which can be accessed by anyone practicing the FP Qigong correctly. The Oneness Meditation Movement / tradition is very different from the FP Qigong tradition in terms of their respective Yogas, but the supramundane consciousness of Oneness Meditation is very similar to the Flying Phoenix spiritual consciousness that was originally channeled or created by Feng Tao Teh and Ehrmeishan spiritualism (involves saintly sacrifice/devotion/compassionate action) and then access to it was impeccably preserved and transmitted down through the ages by GM Doo Wai's ancestral line.

FP Qigong, as a powerful and complete system of Yoga and meditation, if properly practiced, very quickly liberates all the senses by bringing all the organ functions under the regulation of the self-conscious mind. In other words, practice of FP Qigong naturally dissolves the control of the senses by the conscious mind, which is something that Sri Bhagavan extols as a highly desirable goal of meditation in the video clip below. Other people call it the dissolution of the ego. Similarly, you can describe FP Qigong's integrative effects as thoroughly cleansing the "doors of perception"-- to borrow the phrase of Aldus Huxley, or as turning off one's "internal dialog" (as coined by Carlos Castaneda)--the internal dialog being the conscious critical mind that names everything that one experiences according to one's cultural upbringing, education, religious conditioning, etc. As Castaneda explained as the fruit of meditation, pure consciousness: when one has turned off the internal dialog, one has succeeded in "stopping the world", the opposite of which is that undesirable human condition that Sri Bhagavan describes below as constantly "chasing after one's thoughts."

Good questions, Aeran. I hope this helps.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

I was recently at a friends house who is doing FP and he showed me the first 2 meditations from vol 7 without the breath percentage (he told me to buy the dvd to get the bp).There's only one thing that I can say after doing the 2 meds:

WOW!!WOW!WOW!WOW!!!

There are simply no words to describe the feeling----you guys this is THE REAL STUFF

I literally felt sections of my brain turning on and off depending on the hand positions

After that I felt complete LOVE with my entire body,so much that I almost raped myself in the mirror :) :)

Now,I've been reading some "interesting" stuff online about GM Doo Wai,that hes a crazy old man,he made up all the systems from the BFP and that his art is faker than  the bridge I have for sale.I have only one word for them : ****** **** ***!

I''ll be ordering the complete set as soon as I deal with my financial problems,I'm wondering if Sifu Terry is shipping to Eastern Europe

Hello Taiji Cat--

Somehow I think that I missed your posting No. 1074 way, way back in June 2013 (page 130).  My apologies.   But as I am now going back and reviewing this entire thread to make sure that I have not missed anyone's questions posted, I am most glad that I found your post and glad to read that you found the Advanced Seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations on Volume 7 to be as powerful in its very specific brain-activations as I have described in this thread.

As mentioned several times and confirmed by several practitioners, a couple of the Vol.7 Meditations will rejuvenate hair on top of activating brain centers, and return hair to its natural color, reversing the graying/whiting/drying-out process.

I relayed on this discussion sometime early last year how my experience with FP Qigong over the previous 23 years enabled me to tangibly discern the fine brain activation imparted by other authentic Meditation/Yoga traditions.  One such tradition that I acknowledge and pay respects to--after directly feeling and merging with their Consciousness energetically is the lovely and healing Oneness Meditation Movement of Sri Bhagavan and his wife Amma, which is a tradition that has its roots in a monastic community in India.  

Since you have experienced the sublime brain activation of Flying Phoenix's advanced Monk Serves Wine meditations hopefully for some 2 years since your posting, I would suggest that you simply look at any of the Youtube videos showing the deeksha meditations of the Oneness Meditation movement featuring Shri Bhagavad.  --Not the videos of his lectures, but of the silent meditations.--   You don't have to get deeply into it; you don't need to subscribe to Vedanta, etc.; just meditation a few seconds after having opened that channel by simply bringing up one of their Youtube videos.  You may be profoundly surprised as to how FP Qigong has conditioned and fine-tuned your Consciousness and overall energy system.  (As I had explained during my many exchanges with Tao Stillness when he had introduced medical clairvoyant Eric Isen's work to the thread, I was able to feel the full sublime force of the Oneness Meditation's macrocosmic stem (trunk) of energy from just reading and thinking about an email that Eric Isen had written to Tao Stillness.  It was the first clean and pure spiritual channel that i had tangibly experienced outside of the Flying Phoenix "stem" and outside of that of my wonderful Tai Chi master, William C.C. Chen.

'Glad I finally found your posting and your exclamation of how FP Qigong is THEE REAL STUFF.

All the Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S.  btw, over the past 2+ years, I have been giving very successful online (Skype) tutorials in FP Qigong and also Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung.  I am working with a number students all over the world at present on perfecting their practice of the Standing Long Form Meditation on Volume 4, which is the capstone of the FP Qigong system.  Once that key form is mastered, it subsumes the practice of all preceding standing FP Meditations.  Then I teach, as needed, other FP Exercises, such as the long, 22-Movement seated MSW meditation, and then the 5 Advanced Bok Fu Pai meditations from the old Vol.6 videocassette.  Feel free to contact me at  [email protected] if you are interested in private online instruction.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

To use the words of Taiji_cat way back in June 2013, whose posting I somehow missed and only recently discovered:   WOW!!WOW!!WOW!!

As a teacher of FP Qigong, I'm just as thrilled and affirmed as Taiji_Cat was when he/she first felt the brain-activating effects of the Monk Serves Wine Meditations on Volume 7 (And for the record, Volume 2's MSW's will also do the same thing, btw.)--but my gratification and enthusiasm at the moment is over the fact that I just found perfect corroboration and a clear and precise analogous description of the Flying Phoenix Qigong's heavenly brain-activating effects in the words of Sri Bhagavan in a 30-minute talk seen in the video that I posted above in reply (#3359) to Aeron's post, in which he describes how one deeksha experienced in the Oneness Meditation movement opens the brain centers--as opposed to the common experience (as per the by research at the Univ. of Pennsylvania) of spending years of meditation in traditions such as TM (as Tao Stillness has attested to several times on this thread) that results in no activation of brain centers and thus no expansion of consciousness towards enlightenment.

First, here is Chapter 16 of the Tao Te Ching (Legge translation), which is the Taoist expression of Oneness and Zen No-Mind:

Take emptiness to the limit;
Maintain tranquility in the center.

The ten thousand things – side-by-side they arise;
And by this I see their return.

Things come forth in great numbers;
Each one returns to its root.
This is called tranquility.
"Tranquility " – This means to return to your fate.
To return to your fate is to be constant;
To know the constant is to be wise.
Not to know the constant is to be reckless and wild;
If you're reckless and wild, your actions will lead to misfortune.

To know the constant is to be all-embracing;
To be all-embracing is to be impartial;
To be impartial is to be kingly;
To be kingly is to be like Heaven;
To be like Heaven is to be one with the Tao;
If you're one with the Tao, to the end of your days you'll suffer no harm.

These are the words of Sri Bhagavan [20:50 to 21:54 in video] that I am taking the trouble to transcribe because he is essentially saying the same thing as the Tao Te Ching chapter above--as seen in the lines in the two passages that I've color-correlated with sienna, black and green.  This synchronicity--of finding the corroborating words of Sri Bhagavan about the Oneness experience--makes my job of teaching much easier, while paying respects to this fine and authentic guru:

"So anger may come, jealousy may come, anything may come,

let them come.  So what.

...as the river flows by carrying dead corpses,

the Ganges, all kinds of things are floating in the river,

so it keeps floating and you keep witnessing.

that's all!

Even when you are awakened when you are enlightened, all these thoughts

will be traveling, There are times when there are no thoughts & there are times

when there are thoughts but you have nothing to do with them.  

They are just coming and going.

The only difference is:  you will be Pursuing those thoughts, you will be running after those thoughts.

The enlightened man would not pursue them.

they came...they went...Ready for the Next one!!

That's all!

But you are not doing that. You keep chasing them.

<< Then Shri Bhagavan humorously segues into commenting on deeksha (initiation into cosmic consciousness, bestowing of divine grace) and the concomitant activation of brain centers, which is precisely what FP Qigong so sublimely effects, as Taiji_Cat, so many others on this thread and I have given accounts of on this thread: >>

**So all these things are very beautiful to hear,

but unless we awakened your Kundalini and activated your chakras,

[you'll just keep chasing after your thoughts!]

They (chakras) have to rotate at the particular speed, they are like Switches to the brain,

each chakra controls the particular part of the brain.

So as we activate this, that part of the brain is activated or it is toned down.

Ours is Neuro-biological work, we work directly on the brain through the chakras and using Kundalini

The University of Pennsylvania was working on this and they found that even years of meditation doesn't open up some parts of the brain.  But a single deeksha can open up these parts of the brain...

Just a single deeksha.  

So that is how it works.

Similarly, as I have described numerous times in this thread, but now here describe comprehensively:  Flying Phoenix Qigong imparts health, healing and longevity by bringing all the organ systems under the regulation of the subconscious mind, inducing a perfectly body-mind integrated state known as allostasis, in which the body's natural self-healing faculties are activated and whereby very specific brain centers are activated, which is felt as a "washing" or "silent swooshing" sensation in actual the brain tissues  (my words) and as "pushing the brain back" (to use the words of Grandmaster Doo Wai) .

Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Mediation is a remarkable Yoga and true spiritual art--by which one can attain deeksha, if one has the predilection and karma--without having it bestowed by a guru.

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S.  See [20:50 to 21:54] in clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTbAmBilAmw

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Hello Sifu Terry,

I enjoyed your shared experiences with Oneness/Deeksha/Energy.

If you have made some readers curious about that energy, the best way to experience is to go online to Oneness University and get the schedule of live worldwide Oneness Meditations called OMs conducted by selected Oneness trainers who transmit the healing energy thru their eyes. The viewer just looks in the trainer's eyes, that is all that is needed and that energy then PHYSICALLY and LITERALLY rewires the brain to advance toward Awakening of consciousness which is the goal of human life.

However, not everyone experiences this Oneness energy the same. The same as experience of Flying Phoenix energy. It all depends on the condition of the individual nervous system and the energy channels that are open or blocked. It is said that regardless of what one experiences from the OMs, even if it is just boredom, it is still working on the brain.

And I again second your statement that the experience of chi from Flying Phoenix is unique. By now I have tried probably 30 different chi kung methods and only Flying Phoenix has produced this tangible cloud of energy that my hands cut through while doing some of the movements. At times doing Monk Serves Wine meditations it has felt as if my hand was resting on this cloud/pillow of energy which effortlessly supported the hand and I would actually have to softly push thru it to finish the movement. And I am generally very insensitive to subtle energies so this feels like a big deal to me when it happens and it only happens during Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

One other interesting observation. The correlation of descriptions of Oneness found in the Tao Te Ching and from the Avatar Lord Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita, and the current avatar, Sri Bhagavan in southern India are so beautifully and precisely also described in another book attributed to the writer of Tao Te Ching, Lao Tse. It is called Hau He Ching and is translated by Master Hau Ching-Ni. The book is a dialogue of questions and answers between a sage who is Awakened and a highly evolved prince from ancient China. The questions and answers reveal the differences between an Awakened man and the general populace of the unawakened. Mind blowing how similar the descriptions are to that of Bhagavan's teachings. Quite a blessing to have an avatar on this planet once again.

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 2

Recovery proceeding forthwith...  Adv.  MSW  one minimum and most days two selections  from 1-4 disk 7.   This week I have also done two repetitions of the long form  daily  a shorter set followed by a longer set  ...  11-12 min for first set and 19-21 for the second set.   I still hesitate to  up  the time >25 min,  which had been my practice prior to surgery.  

I am also doing Long form Tai ji  with my little class here in Cascabel  30-35 min  practice  which is structured  a)  wu ji standing,  b)selected pieces from 8 brocades c)  long form  abbreviated to 1st series and half the second series, d) silk reeling and concluding wu ji standing positions 1 + one of 2-5.  

I also find very nurishing  wu xing qi gong practices ... harmonizing the body meridians/elements/system.

the above discussion is out of my range of experience.  on the other hand  the Quaker experience is about universal stillness finding god/christ in group worship.  The terminology Friends/Quakers use would probably confuse most of the participants in this thread,  but is western universalist mysticism in my experience.

peace

charlie

• Like 2

Recovery proceeding forthwith...  Adv.  MSW  one minimum and most days two selections  from 1-4 disk 7.   This week I have also done two repetitions of the long form  daily  a shorter set followed by a longer set  ...  11-12 min for first set and 19-21 for the second set.   I still hesitate to  up  the time >25 min,  which had been my practice prior to surgery.  

I am also doing Long form Tai ji  with my little class here in Cascabel  30-35 min  practice  which is structured  a)  wu ji standing,  b)selected pieces from 8 brocades c)  long form  abbreviated to 1st series and half the second series, d) silk reeling and concluding wu ji standing positions 1 + one of 2-5.  

I also find very nurishing  wu xing qi gong practices ... harmonizing the body meridians/elements/system.

the above discussion is out of my range of experience.  on the other hand  the Quaker experience is about universal stillness finding god/christ in group worship.  The terminology Friends/Quakers use would probably confuse most of the participants in this thread,  but is western universalist mysticism in my experience.

peace

charlie

Hi Charlie,

I'm glad that you've developed an effective schedule of FP Qigong training to facilitate your recovery.

2 selections from Vols. 1 thru 4 and 2 rounds of the Long Form Standing Meditation is an excellent routine.

That nicely synergizes with the combination of Tai Chi and other arts that you're teaching  in Cascabel.

Don't worry about or be put off by my celebrations of experiencing another meditation tradition's brain activation (Oneness Meditation Movement).  The only real truth is the experienced truth.  The more you practice and master FP Qigong, the more you will be able to feel and discern the quality, depth, and "spiritual frequency" of other practitioners' meditative arts, and directly know how other Yogas work on the human body.

Peace out.

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

thanks for the good wishes and acknowledgements for recovery

my practice  interrupted for trip to daughter's family  but will resume tomorrow!

peace

• Like 1

finally reached a 22+ min long form today ... 

breath and energy returning nearly to pre-surgery  levels ...

sleep still irregular   beyond   what  i expect ... since sleep is always a little irregular for me!

Sifu Terry,

Chapter 16 of the Tao Te Ching is a perfect picture of not only Oneness Blessing mechanics, but it also portrays the mechanics of Transcendental Meditation. In TM one uses the vibration of a silently repeated mantra to activate specific brain centers which result in going beyond thought to the source of thought ("mother of 10,000 things"). This is the stillness that is described in all spiritual literature/experiences of mystics, Awakened/Enlightened Beings. It is pure Consciousness or the Absolute, the vacuum state or quantum state of the Unmanifest aspect of life which has no physical form but contains the potential for all manifestations, in other words, the Absolute gives rise to the changing relative aspects of life, material objects spring forth first from Consciousness. In TM one transcends the changing relative to reach the unchanging Absolute, this is the ground state of life where all is in harmony and everything at this quantum level is connected to everything else in life, hence the literal experience of being One with All. That is true Oneness produced by a physiological change in the wiring of the brain. TM eventually does this as is shown in many EEG studies since the 1970's and currently. Oneness Blessing of Sri Bhagavan makes this happen much faster. But brilliant to find the most corresponding description in chapter 16 of the Tao Te Ching.

Lao Tzu's lesser known work, "Hua Hu Ching", describes Oneness in almost exactly the same way as Bhagavan does. It is mind blowing to read this. The truth is universal. This knowledge comes from direct experience of higher states of consciousness from purifying the nervous system. There is no dogma or philosophy to this, just correct mechanics of working the human nervous system. Your blissful reaction says it all.

• Like 2

Sifu Terry,

Chapter 16 of the Tao Te Ching is a perfect picture of not only Oneness Blessing mechanics, but it also portrays the mechanics of Transcendental Meditation. In TM one uses the vibration of a silently repeated mantra to activate specific brain centers which result in going beyond thought to the source of thought ("mother of 10,000 things"). This is the stillness that is described in all spiritual literature/experiences of mystics, Awakened/Enlightened Beings. It is pure Consciousness or the Absolute, the vacuum state or quantum state of the Unmanifest aspect of life which has no physical form but contains the potential for all manifestations, in other words, the Absolute gives rise to the changing relative aspects of life, material objects spring forth first from Consciousness. In TM one transcends the changing relative to reach the unchanging Absolute, this is the ground state of life where all is in harmony and everything at this quantum level is connected to everything else in life, hence the literal experience of being One with All. That is true Oneness produced by a physiological change in the wiring of the brain. TM eventually does this as is shown in many EEG studies since the 1970's and currently. Oneness Blessing of Sri Bhagavan makes this happen much faster. But brilliant to find the most corresponding description in chapter 16 of the Tao Te Ching.

Lao Tzu's lesser known work, "Hua Hu Ching", describes Oneness in almost exactly the same way as Bhagavan does. It is mind blowing to read this. The truth is universal. This knowledge comes from direct experience of higher states of consciousness from purifying the nervous system. There is no dogma or philosophy to this, just correct mechanics of working the human nervous system. Your blissful reaction says it all.

Hi Steve,

Nice description of what i call the transcendental experience of Ultimate Reality, what others describe as "Divine At-Onement", or Cosmic Consciousness, and what Alfred J. Korzybsky refers to as awareness of the Infinite Event. Indeed, the truth is universal and it has been described by enlightened beings throughout the ages and around the world in pretty much the same way.

Alan Watts said in one of his lectures in the 70's: that Cosmic Consciousness is quite ineffable. I very much agree: it can't be "eff'd"--i.e., words are inadequate to "map" that experiential "territory".  Also, words and talking about the experience, outside of providing inspiration for one to meditate, are not necessary to attain it.  Only proper meditation is required.

But since we are all creatures of thought, and like to talk about things, especially to celebrate our human experience, if I had to describe the transcendental experience of Ultimate Reality for the western reader, i would defer the French philosopher Voltaire's definition of meditation, especially for his completeness and brevity:

“Meditation is the dissolution of thoughts in Eternal awareness or Pure consciousness without objectification, knowing without thinking, merging finitude in infinity.”

(Voltaire was France's greatest free-thinker and natural philosopher, who, btw, was initiated into Freemasonry at the Lodge of the Nine Sisters in Paris by Benjamin Franklin and other distinguished masons.)

Thanks for your reference to the Hu Hua Ching. Please send me by PM the pages that you like that are congruent to Sri Bhagavad's sayings on Oneness.

I am familiar with parts of the HCC and its history but have not spoken on it over the years because:

1. I have not read but one translation of the HHC (Ni Hua Ching's)--and that only partially a long time ago--and need (am waiting for) other translations by notable academics such as Robert Kendricks of Dartmouth to be published, in order to "triangulate" and get a better handle on its probably meanings. In contrast, I have the studied the Tao Te Ching for 43 years in all its translations (ranging from D.C. Lao's to Robert G. Kendricks to Aleister Crowley's), and have had the Tao Te Ching explained to me by my early Tai Chi master who knew classical Chinese language...all the while comparing its verses to my meditative experiences. Thus I am very comfortable to discuss Cosmic Consciousness, high samadhic states, or the transcendental experience of the Tao, Ultimate Reality, in the terms of the Tao Te Ching.

2. Because of its tone, pedantic voice, and rather obnoxious honorific title, Taishang lingbao Laozi huahu miaojing (太上靈寶老子化胡妙經, "The Supreme Numinous Treasure's Sublime Classic on Laozi's Conversion of the Barbarians" (meaning "conversion of the Buddhists"), I have my own very strong suspicions that the HHC is not an authentic work of Lao Tau but a later forgery produced for political reasons to declare the superiority of Taoism over Buddhism (as the 2 religions competed against each other to be China's state religion for many centuries)...and which is such a totally un-Taoist and unspiritual purpose to begin with. As Derek Lin accurately points out in his article, the term "Hu" meaning barbarian or outlander is quite a derogatory in Chinese culture.

https://sites.google.com/site/taoismnet/home/articles/hua-hu-ching

Also, btw, my first Tai Chi master in 1980 used the term "hu" long ago in another term, "jiang hu" to warn me against getting caught up in the phoney and useless "underworld" of made-up, superstitious malarkey and downstream hokum palmed off by charlatans as authentic Chinese internal martial art. "Jiang hu" generally means the fictional world of wu-xia (Kung-fu) movies.

3. While a few parts of the HHC were found in the Dunhuang texts and date back to the 4th or 5th century, because the HCC is so politically divisive, having Lao Tau during his "journey to West" advising a prince (insinuating that Prince to be Gautama who would ultimately become Buddha), and because HHC's authenticity and origin are questionable, I never paid that much attention to it over the years, nor did it ever come up much (if at all) in my studies or training.

My suspicions and prejudice aside, please do send me the HHC 's pages about Oneness. Because regardless of its origins, authors, or their intent, Truth is Truth. And the Tao works in mysterious ways.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Aleister Crowley had a translation for the Tao Te Ching? What a miss fit for such a wayward deviant. lol

A few weeks ago the fourth AMSW meditation has been a welcomed addition to my routine; almost feels like a missing piece of a puzzle. Also, throughout my morning routine the first three meditations from volume five, after warm-ups, have been very helpful getting things quickly moving.

Aleister Crowley had a translation for the Tao Te Ching? What a miss fit for such a wayward deviant. lol

A few weeks ago the fourth AMSW meditation has been a welcomed addition to my routine; almost feels like a missing piece of a puzzle. Also, throughout my morning routine the first three meditations from volume five, after warm-ups, have been very helpful getting things quickly moving.

Hi Rob,

I'm glad that you found the fourth Advanced MSW meditation on Vol.7 to be galvanizing importance.

If one practices the short 90-second FP meditations on Vol.5 after gaining proficiency in the Long Form Standing Meditation of Vol.4, or is advanced in frictionless Tai Chi or Tai Chi-like natural movement, one will realize and appreciate the full power and importance of these amazingly short meditations. They are more than "bon-bons".

Different FP Meditations (standing or seated) will have that effect of pulling everything together--and making alchemic sense of the whole FPCK system--for different people, depending on their yogic background, physical conditioning, and spiritual nature. I have had students who "get it" almost instantly from their first lesson in FP Qigong and who then completely dedicate themselves to practicing it. Several of these long-term practitioners and friends took a workshop I gave in 1997 at the Benedictine Center in St. Paul, MN. (Maybe it's timing or environment, or how i was channeling the FP Qigong at that particular time in my life, or the fact that Minnesotans are hard workers and serious about their meditation). Then I've had a student or two that I've trained weekly for 7+ years who don't get it at all--don't appreciate what they are feeling--even though the yogic effects of FP Qigong are manifest and working full-tilt. [such resistance to and ignor-ance of Inner Truth (as per hexagram 61) is a measure of ego, which I define as the misindentificaiton of one's being and true self with what one's idea of oneself--ilel, what one thinks or believes one is.

• Yes, Aleister Crowley actually wrote an exceptionally good translation of the Tao Te Ching, which has been reviewed most favorably by contemporary Taoists from long traditions such as Eva Wong (and myself). In my opinion and assessment after reading practically every book authored by him and written about him, Aleister Crowley was a towering genius in spiritualism (not to mention effective agent for MI-5 during WW1 in the U.S.) who left a vast trove of practical instructions in western hermetic philosophy and an invaluable spiritual legacy, who I believe (as stated a couple of years ago on this thread) got a very bad rep from his jealous and envious Edwardian era detractors and secret society rivals, and the dangerous black magicians that he undid after attracting them into his spiritual killing field by putting himself out there in the world with the moniker, "The Beast, 666". (For no black magician that I have had the misfortune to come across--or had to ferret out and give up to the Universal Power--had blatantly advertised himself as such, but rather kept himself/herself secretly hidden and cloaked in disguise--in order to do their evil undetected.)

Most Britons have recognized and embraced Aleister Crowley as one of their greatest citizens and spiritual assets in all of history: in a poll taken by the BBC in 2002, Crowley was ranked No.73 as one of the "100 Greatest Britons"--right between Henry V (72) and Robert De Bruce (74):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Britons

Personally, I don't believe that the negative characterizations attributed to Crowley in the past such as "black magician," "the most evil man in the world," or "satanist" have any validity because a black magician/satanist does not write about the sanctity of man's free will, define evil and wickedness as any taking way of man's free will to any degree, clearly define the Ego as the enemy-obstructor to the development of Divine Will, and celebrate Jesus Christ's Will-to-God (more accurately and reverently since the Gospels were written) as powerfully he has:

"...It cannot be too clearly understood that such is the nature of things:

it does not depend upon the will of any persons, however powerful or

exalted; nor can their force, the force of Their great oaths, avail against

the weakest oath of the most trivial of beginners.

The attempt to interfere with the Magical Will of another person would

be wicked, if it were not absurd.

One may attempt to build up a Will when before nothing existed but a

chaos of whims; but once organization has taken place it is sacred. As

Blake says: "Everything that lives is holy"; and hence the creation of

life is the most sacred of tasks. It does not matter very much to the

creator what it is that he creates; there is room in the universe for both

the spider and the fly.

It is from the rubbish-heap of Choronzon (a demon of dispersion, the

last temptor/obstacle to enlightenment) that one selects the material for

a god!

This is the ultimate analysis of the Mystery of Redemption, and is

possibly the real reason of the existence (if existence it can be called) of

the form, or, if you like, the Ego.

It is astonishing that this typical cry--"I am I"--is the cry of that which

above all is not I.

It was that master whose Will was so powerful that at its

lightest expression the deaf heard, the dumb spake, the lepers

were cleansed and the dead arose to life, that Master and no

other who at the supreme moment of his agony could cry,

"Not my Will, but Thine, be done."

-- Aleister Crowley, Book Four

(Please feel free to contact me by PM if you want further references to Crowley's very Christian writings.)

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Amazing insight into the Crowley matter and thank-you very much. Never would have thought, and perhaps my viewpoints have evolved from the taboo and dark images of him. Believing that the Aleister Crowley was more of an icon, and contributor, to the new age movement, further study has been deemed unnecessary. Perhaps in the future I will explore his works.

• Like 2

Amazing insight into the Crowley matter and thank-you very much. Never would have thought, and perhaps my viewpoints have evolved from the taboo and dark images of him. Believing that the Aleister Crowley was more of an icon, and contributor, to the new age movement, further study has been deemed unnecessary. Perhaps in the future I will explore his works.

Rob,

You're welcome. Aleister Crowley has been much maligned and mis-colored ever since he was alive and had streaked through the highest ranks of the Society of the Golden Dawn and then formed his secret society, the O.T.O, Order of Oriental Templars, and expounding his philosophy summed up in his Law of Thelema. But his prolific writings speak for themselves and speak to millions on different levels. And more yogically evolved one becomes, the more Truth one sees in Crowley's teachings. One of his works that I've referred to for years for its meditation instruction is his gem-packed, decoded manual that he humorously titled in self-mockery, "The Book of Lies". In it, for example, Crowley gives clear and detailed instructions as to how to visualize in meditation a sectioned Yin-Yang symbol (Tai Chi Tu) in order to effect the interpenetration of man's devotion to God with God's grace. Another excellent manual is in a Question & Answer format, called "Magick Without Tears". And in it are two chapters on the Tao--which to me are the most lucid, insightful, and compelling explanations of Taoism in the English language.

Besides his genius in spiritualism and in expounding his knowledge of alchemy in the written word, Crowley as a passionate libertine and ingenious poet (who often came across as a loon) was a tremendous contributor to art and culture by force of his poetry that brilliantly codified occult teachings. In his "Book of Lies", one finds the first ever teachings in English using "Layla", the arabic name for "night" or "dark night"--i.e., the night/feminine principle celebrated by the 8th century Persian poet Qays. Crowley died in 1947. In 1970, of course, Eric Clapton came out with his great song, "Layla", which is about his unrequited love for Patti Boyd, the wife of his best friend, George Harrison. Also, the great guitarist Jimmy Page was an admirer of Crowley's teachings after his passing (but, like Clapton, was not an initiate of Thelema or the O.T.O.), and even bought Crowley's Boleskine house near Loch Ness, and it was the Crowley influence that somehow led to, as far as I know, the first significant infusion of spirituality into rock & roll--via the Led Zeppelin song and album both titled, "Houses of the Holy" in 1973. Later, the Beatles would put Crowley's photo on the cover of their legendary album of psychedelia, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band."

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

I have read the HHC and found it insightful. Yes, the longer version with all the posturing with the young Prince is an obvious jab and the competing religion, but the lessons still hold water. Mr. Walker cuts out a lot of the story telling and renders the text down to the sayings.

I find all the talk of an "integral life" consistent with many other philosophies. For example Jesus spoke of "making the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside" from the Gospel of Saint Thomas. Flying Phoenix Chi Kung seems to promote a feeling of "connectedness" in me that I find most reassuring. The Tao De Ching promotes oneness or better yet "allness" (not even a concept of one). 

As with any document or teacher, the proof is always in the pudding. Sometimes you have to do a lot of digging to get to the gold.

• Like 1

"Making the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside"

I have also had a direct experience of that and those are the words I used to describe that state of consciousness when it happened 2 years ago after I was invited to a workshop teaching the use of Sound Massage from Germany where specially made Tibetan Bowls are placed on energy centers on the body and then tapped to make a frequency which travels thru the meridians and chakras, nadis, etc. The teacher demonstrated the bowls on me and I got up from the table experiencing total peace of mind and total peace from whatever environment I was in for the rest of the day. So once again, these descriptions of higher states of consciousness are not understandable by the thinking mind, they can only be understood by being in those higher states. There is no digging for the meaning, no trying to intellectually figure out what those words in those spiritual books symbolize. You are having the experience, so you know. And it seems from what some have described about their experiences from Flying Phoenix, that they are "knowing" what qigong is about.

• Like 2