Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

I have a question about MSW 2:

when finishing one repetition, we take some resting breathes before starting a new repetition. Are the hands in the earth med position, mudra in front of dantien, or are them resting on the knees?

I'm loving this practice!

Thanks a lot Sifu Terry and all the practitioners in this forum

Please can someone help with this doubt?

Please can someone help with this doubt?

With respect to Monk Serves Wine #2 (50 40 30 20), the resting breaths between each repetition of the cycle of movements can be done with hands at the tan tien or hands on top of the knees. I prefer hands at the tan tien in the earth position.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Yesterday, after I led my Tai Chi class through extensive warm-ups and stretching, followed by two rounds of "Moonbeam Splashes on the Water" (taught on Volume 3 of the Chi Kung For Health series) before proceeding to an hour and half of Yang style solo form and sword form practice. Besides further cultivating the same FP healing energy mustered in the preceding basic standing FP meditations, the postures throughout this longer meditation are extremely powerful and over time will naturally enhance any martial art practice. For example, the rearward left leaning and rearward right-leaning postures and their transitions (three moves before the end of the meditation) greatly expands one's range of evasive maneuvers and provides strength, fullness of energy, and rootedness in postures that would be "empty" if assumed by most martial artists! This conditioning is gradual and the effects are subtle. But with diligent practice, one's unattackability is tremendously enhanced.

Just do it! -- and discover this aspect of FP conditioning!

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

With respect to Monk Serves Wine #2 (50 40 30 20), the resting breaths between each repetition of the cycle of movements can be done with hands at the tan tien or hands on top of the knees. I prefer hands at the tan tien in the earth position.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Thanks! I like the feeling of being embraced by earth when with hands at tan tien...

Isn't MSW2 breathing sequence 50 40 30 10?

• Like 1

Hi, my name is John Nesbit and have been a long time student of Sifu Terry Dunn's and of the Tai Chi and Chi Kung For Health series. I have been reading this particular (and Sifu Garry Hearfield's) threads for about 6 weeks now. My exposure to the Chi Kung for Health series started back in 2003. It is truly a multidimensional experience of transformative energy healing and life empowering cultivation, unlike any other I have seen or encountered in my 56 years. I came from a background of athletics and sports in the early 60's and 70's as a baseball, football, basketball and competitive wrestling world here in Western Massachusetts. When I was also very young I became aware of the Transcendental Meditation movement and later started practicing that in 1976. Later followed Reiki (level 3), Aikido and Zhan Zhuang. The Flying Phoenix Qigong is unique from anything I have ever done, (including many years of practicing The Five Tibetan Rites as well). My experiences have been filled with a wide range of energies and resulting effects, from mental and creative shifts of consciousness to phenomenal physical abilities in music and oil painting to downhill ski instructing. The experiences are numerous and vast in magnitude. I wish to share here in an ongoing conversation with the other members (and at Terry's request), my understanding of what The Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qigong has opened up and brought into my life.

Sincerely

John

• Like 8

Hi John,

Thank you for joining this thread and welcome here :)

We are lucky to have you in this thread as a long-term practitioner of Flying Phoenix Qigong .

Many contributors of this thread and FP practitioners are definitely looking forward hearing more about the benefits you have received from this practice.

Warmest regards,

• Like 1

A LOT of sweat here from doing Monk holding pearl and Wind above the clouds, in my city the temperature goes up to 40° in these days :P

hope it's ok to drink some water between the two exercises...

• Like 3

Thank you bubbles for the warm welcome to this forum and thread. I sincerely hope to add and contribute useful insights and support to everyone and to the teachings.

Kind Regards

John

• Like 1

Also the half lotus makes my right leg to go numb, after a while it gets unconfortable and I unconsciously speed up the last sets...

In the morning when I wake and stand up from bed my right foot hurts and my right knee feels "strange", the two symptoms subsides durning the next few hours of standing/walking... (the feeling to the knee sometimes appear during the day)

Any suggestion is well appreciated

A LOT of sweat here from doing Monk holding pearl and Wind above the clouds, in my city the temperature goes up to 40° in these days :P

It is ok to drink some water in between the exercises. :)

Edited by Healing Artist

Hi John,

As a TM teacher and practitioner I would be curious how you would compare the benefits of Flying Phoenix to those from TM. I realize this depends on how long you have done TM for.

Steve

Also the half lotus makes my right leg to go numb, after a while it gets unconfortable and I unconsciously speed up the last sets...

In the morning when I wake and stand up from bed my right foot hurts and my right knee feels "strange", the two symptoms subsides durning the next few hours of standing/walking... (the feeling to the knee sometimes appear during the day)

Any suggestion is well appreciated

I'm afraid of damaging my knee and foot so I think for the moment I'll do the sitting meditations in burmanese pose or even sitting on a chair...

Maybe I'll try to do one session of streteches a day for the hip, to reach half lotus

If I'm getting the wrong way about this please somebody stop me! :D

Hi Steve and tendou, it is a pleasure to meet you. My experiences of TM are unique and diverse in and of themselves from when I started practicing in 1976. It turned out for me personally that I was familiar with the experience of this new technique to our culture, having plumbed the depths of my own mind since early childhood. This was a spontaneous awakening of realization without fully understanding at the time what was unfolding. The benefits vary and are wide ranging for both types of meditations. Hopefully the main benefits of both lead all to a an awakening conscious awareness of that in and of itself. Yoga meditation is done while sitting and leads to a full experience of the cosmic/unity consciousness that transcends the practice and techniques. Flying Phoenix as well as Bak Fu Pai, Bat Dim Gum (and all of the other forms that Sifu Terry teaches as discussed on this thread previously, serve to bring about immediate and long lasting effects with our body, mind and emotional lives as they integrate on a gross level throughout our worldly interactions. Sitting Yoga meditation has enhanced my own experiential knowledge of Flying Phoenix and the related forms within Terry's DVD's. The actual effects of Qi Gong healing and martial energies are unfolding with me as I write this and live day to day (with diabetes). It is exciting and rewarding on a very subtle yet empowering level. "Sublime" as Sifu Terry says it so well. Applying the different meditations at varying times and circumstances brings on new and deeper insights to life and being human. The healing energies affect others as well as myself. The martial energies empower a balance of interaction with worldly as well as spiritual affairs. It is an observation that is also subtle yet very strong with awareness of things that would normally go unnoticed otherwise. My creative and athletic abilities are not only vigorously supported but surprisingly enhanced. To try and describe it to a lay person would be very challenging if they have no point of reference to relate to. It is a matter for everyone who is starting to practice and exploring the mysteries of their own being, to "just do it". The results will be healing and life supporting, but unique to one's own life experience. I know that the slower I move when practicing the Flying Phoenix and Taoist movements, the stronger the energies move through and around me. I have taken 15 min at times to even do the (90 second) 5th meditation of 80 70 50 40 30. The energies arising out of doing that in super slow motion have seemed to attempt to lift me off the floor and move me forcibly around from the standing position. How does one talk about that to just anyone else who knows not of these arts ?

To see what my creative results have manifested in the last year or so,please click on the link to my artwork and paintings on my FB page. Sifu Terry has been a great supporter to my work and images posted there. https://www.facebook.com/john.nesbit and one of several albums of my paintings as well. https://www.facebook.com/john.nesbit/media_set?set=a.10151820525574688.1073741826.590464687&type=3 These are all open to public viewing.

As for the sitting meditations "pitisukha", Sifu terry has recommended to those having trouble with the half lotus posture to sit any way comfortable and then to gradually stretch into the position over time.

Thank you for the welcoming questions tendou and Steve.

Best

John

Edited by Healing Artist
  • Like 6

i would assert it is not 'ok' it is required! there is no support in these exercises/meditations to act foolishly. Water is as essential to life as oxygen. Listen to your body, drink water when you need .

That's great to hear. So you work with kundalini and FP helps with that?

I cannot answer re kundalini and FP. But only with frontal lobe and FP. :)

Hi John,

You're lucky Sifu Terry does teach you, spiritual/martial FP and other good stuff.

I can say too, that even with the basic FP, my insights in life improve (among other things). But I did practice 3-4 hours a day on my first 3 months when I started doing my FP practice.

Quick question, you're doing DVD--Volume 5, 15 minutes each? any more experiences you would like to share on that? Because I am about to order Volume 4 and Volume 7, (and was thinking to skip volume 5)

http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Thanks!

Hi John,

You're lucky Sifu Terry does teach you, spiritual/martial FP and other good stuff.

I can say too, that even with the basic FP, my insights in life improve (among other things). But I did practice 3-4 hours a day on my first 3 months when I started doing my FP practice.

Quick question, you're doing DVD--Volume 5, 15 minutes each? any more experiences you would like to share on that? Because I am about to order Volume 4 and Volume 7, (and was thinking to skip volume 5)

http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Thanks!

Hello ShivaShakti. Yes, do not skip volume 5. As I wrote, I do the last one on there (80 70 50 40 30) in a much longer slower form often 5 min sometimes 15 minutes. I do all of them very slow because they are designed to be performed at 90 seconds or longer (time allowing). The last one is from the 8 Sections Of Energy Combined (Bat Din Gum), and has a martial energy to it. It has to be experienced. You will be glad that you did. "Tao stillness" put it beautifully above regarding volume 5.

John

Edited by Healing Artist
  • Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry,

I would like to ask, how will FP affect my energy healing practice (if at all)? Does FP have a specific medical qigong healing system or protocol? Would you happen to know whether it is compatible with healing as taught by J.A. Johnson (the system I was taught)?

As I continue to practice FP, I am noticing a tangible build-up of a particular sort of qi. Not sure how to describe it - it just has a different "texture" than my prior experiences of qi. I am wondering whether this energy can be used in healing, and whether or not it's a good idea to use it that way. In my medical qigong training, I was taught that the practitioner channels qi from heaven and earth, so as not to deplete his or her personal qi. And to provide the patient with the purest sources of qi. But qi from FP practice feels more "personal" - as opposed to energy drawn purely from heaven/earth. So, will using qi from FP practice deplete my energy in any way? And is it safe for my patients? I suspect that with continued practice and cultivation, that energy will touch my patients anyways, whether I intend it or not. Anyways, would appreciate your thoughts!

(Apologies if these questions were already addressed in this thread. I am still making my way through the 157 pages, heh.)

Best,

Slava

P.S. Just purchased volumes 4 & 5! Very excited :D

Edited by SlavaD

Hello everyone! :)

For the next two weeks I'll do:

- Monk holding pearl (20min)

- Wind above the clouds (20min)

- Wind Through the Treetops (20min)

- MSW #1 (7reps)

- MSW #2 (7reps)

- MSW #3 (7reps)

Still practicing daily straches to be able to do half lotus comfortably

When bending forward in wind through the treetops the sacrum is pointing down... does this means bending the spine at navel level, illiac crest level?

Is it normal to feel lot of pressure in the knees when doing the standing ones?

I'm doing wind trough the treetops right after wind above the clouds, are the warm ups of dvd3 still required?

Edited by pitisukha