Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Just a comment to one of Antares posts a couple of pages back. He mentioned that Terry Dunn had commented re Tibetan Yoga and FP being compatible. That is true. I have done the complete Tibetan Yoga (Trul Khor) system with one lineage and find no conflict at all between Trul Khor and FP.

I wasn't quite sure what the reference was regarding Tantra, so won't comment there.

In the TK I learned there are 40 basic postures. Then the third year consists of learning how to combine different ones of these 40 postures to cure specific ailments. The fourth year is a complete review of the first three years. Other lineages may teach differently.

Norbu

• Like 1

In a post a couple of pages earlier the "Protectors" were mentioned. I can't speak to Chinese Protectors,but certainly can attest to the strength and power exercised by Tibetan Protectors.

A few years back I had a dramatic example of their power. I had long been interested in the Tibetan Martial Art known as "Lions Roar". (No, it is nothing like the chinese imitations)

There is, for example, only one teacher in the USA who knows it and I was badgering him through emails to train me. I had learned a few moves from one of his students and wanted more. He advised me to stop practicing the few moves I knew, and only resume practice if (1) I was Tibetan Buddhist, (2) If I could be trained correctly. He emphasized that the protectors were quite able as well as willing to intervene if outsiders messed with Lions Roar.

There was, at that time, a Chinese sifu in chinatown in San Francisco who claimed some knowledge of Lions Roar. I went to chinatown and inquired around town as to where I could find this man, saying I wanted a match with him. I found where he was training but he was in Europe, and none of his students would accept the challenge from me on his behalf, so I left.

Later I emailed the man who I knew taught Lions Roar and told him about the incident and asked if he would accept my apology for my rude behavior. He said it didn't matter. The chinese man I was hunting was dead. He was practicing Lions Roar in austria and his brain literally exploded and he died instantly.

I never practiced anything of Lions Roar again. Don't ever doubt the power of the Protectors.

Norbu

• Like 1

norbu - welcome to the thread and thanks for the two strong posts.

FP seems to be compatible with quite a few different energetic systems. TK is yet one more example.

Really interesting story regarding Tibetan Protectors!

There is many monks in all sects that never attain spiritual enlightenment but they practice, all the text in the world will not matter if u do not faithfully do the practice without connection of yourself and Dao.

Attain the ultimate emptiness

Hold on to the truest tranquility

The myriad things are all active

I therefore watch their return

Everything flourishes; each returns to its root

Returning to the root is called tranquility

Tranquility is called returning to one's nature

Returning to one's nature is called constancy

Knowing constancy is called clarity

Not knowing constancy, one recklessly causes trouble

Knowing constancy is acceptance

Acceptance is impartiality

Impartiality is sovereign

Sovereign is Heaven

Heaven is Tao

Tao is eternal

The self is no more, without danger

So very true that many are called by few are chosen.

Thank you Si-hing Garry, for posting is my favorite Tao Te Ching passage that describes the spiritual fruits of correct Meditation and details the elevation of consciousness and spirit. Your translation is a very excellent one that is yogic and direct. Along with what you just posted, my favorite English translation is by Robert G. Hendricks based on the Ma-want-tui texts discovered in 1973:

Take emptiness to the limit;

Maintain tranquility in the center.

The ten thousand thing side-by-side they arise;

And by this I see their return.

Things [come forth] in great numbers;

Each one returns to its root.

This is called tranquility.

“Tranquility”his means to return to your fate.

To return to your fate is to be constant;

To know the constant is to be wise.

Not to know the constant is to be reckless and wild;

If you’re reckless and wild, your actions will lead to misfortune.

To know the constant is to be all-embracing;

To be all-embracing is to be impartial;

To be impartial is to be kingly;

To be kingly is to be [like] Heaven;

To be [like] Heaven is to be [one with] the Dao;

If you’re [one with] the Dao, to the end of your days you’ll suffer no harm.

Just a comment to one of Antares posts a couple of pages back. He mentioned that Terry Dunn had commented re Tibetan Yoga and FP being compatible. That is true. I have done the complete Tibetan Yoga (Trul Khor) system with one lineage and find no conflict at all between Trul Khor and FP.

I wasn't quite sure what the reference was regarding Tantra, so won't comment there.

In the TK I learned there are 40 basic postures. Then the third year consists of learning how to combine different ones of these 40 postures to cure specific ailments. The fourth year is a complete review of the first three years. Other lineages may teach differently.

Norbu

Hello Norbu,

Welcome to the thread. Thank you very much for confirming through your personal experience that Tibetan Yoga (Trul Khor) is compatible with Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Kung. And thanks for sharing the year-by-year content and focus of the 4-year training you undertook.

Based on my basic and partial exposure to Tibetan Yogas, my knowledge of the oral tradition that tells of the creator of FP Chi Kung traveling throughout China's western frontier and Tibet, most recent trends of thought in native Tibetan scholarly circles about the influence of Chinese Taoism on Tibetan Yoga and doctrines (in addition to the dominant influence of Buddhism and Bonpo), and based on my extensive experience in several schools of Qigong, it was my clear intuitive feeling that the Flying Phoenix art would be compatible with Tibetan Yoga.

Thank you also for your story about the Protectors of the Tibetan Dharma. I will comment on that subject in a separate posting.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

pitisukha -

I believe you are interpreting Sifu Terry's recommended training schedule correctly.

When you begin a new cycle, which in our case includes the newly learned Monk Holds Pearl and MSW#1, then you focus on those and leave the ones you were doing, but only temporarily.

However, when I was learning the basics, once or twice a week I would do everything I learned, so that I did all the basic seated and all the basic standing. It's pretty cool do get to the point that you can do all the basic standing one after the other. Same with all the basic seated. These build a lot of energy! Even now I love going back and doing the basic standing and seated FP exercises....they are quite powerful.

Later on as you progress in your practice (after you learn all the basic standing and seated), and as you learn more advanced standing and seated FP meditations, you can reduce the amount of time on each of the basic exercises to 6-8 minutes each.

Hope this helps!

Hi Lloyd,

You gave an excellent, perfectly correct set of answers to Pitisukha's questions.

Your experience from your diligent practice has become your teacher and lodestone.

Thank you for your very helpful contributions. I'm just now starting to catch up to the past 2 weeks' interesting, varied, and lively postings.

Be well. Sorry I missed you when you were in L.A. recently. I'll send you a PM about that shortly.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Sifu Terry - thank you for your kind words.

It is true that Flying Phoenix tends to provide its own feedback. For example ridingtheox posted that the advanced seated meditations seemed to provide him feedback to go slower.... I have had similar experiences.

And as such simply by practicing one can learn.

Lloyd

Edited by Fu_doggy
  • Like 2

In the videos when Sifu Terry sits in half-lotus the right foot is placed in the crease between thigh and lower leg. Is this precise position important for meditations?

In the past I used to put my right foot near my left hip, over my thigh, so my right knee can rest over my left foot...

Was reading this blog again and found Terry's words about "transmission" (projection of qi) from GMDW.

The question is why not to be fair and not to mention it when people asking about this? I do not believe it can be complete system without seeing GMDW in person.

And please do not say "you don't have to expect anything from practice...". Transmission is kinda law in Taoism and any other spiritual teaching. It cuts off years of practice. Just wanted to clarify why I was asking questions

Teacher "introduces" student to the lineage.

Correction of stagnant qi (a student of GMDW said he projected healing energy).

Increases vibrational rate of a student.

Terry posted here that all their techniques were greatly boosted up in presence of GMDW.

Sometimes when your teacher is in front of you, you also give your best performance anyhow as well like placebo effect cause u want it so bad. No stronger current of energy than u connecting to the Dao, no need for any person to say he has a transmission of energy to make u higher than anyone that is B.S IMHO. You better off doing Sun Dar Spirit Boxing in that case!

Many people say you need a transmission in a school to be part of lineage that is just dogma B.S as well and hold students back or for money these days. So far on here FP thread, everyone is having good experiences and they havent been next to GMDW or terry maybe a couple went to learn some stuff but they also having experiences before seeing him. If you have to rely on someone to say OH NOW YOU HAVE IT, then u are a fool and know nothing of Dao or your own energy body.

You also love to say "A Student of GMDW said....." pfft seriously

• Like 1

Yes, I know nothing about Dao. But I am honest. And I don't insist there must be "transmission". You can call me fool, that' ok, I am fool indeed and I am honest. :) I have been studying all this not first year and read and listen what other people say including great masters from other lineages who I can't call fools. This is reality. Having good experience with something is not the same as having GREAT experience. There are levels of gradation. Will you call Ya Mu fool who says that transmission can save 10+ years of practice? Or what will be experience of Terry Dunn if he would learn FP from DVD but not directly from GMDW?

You say "no stronger current " but students of GMDW say THERE IS strong current from him when they are together.

Of course we can get something good from DVDs. But to what extent? If somebody has decades in other practice then any other practice goes better. Another people can get excellent results after 10-15 years of practice instead of 6 months with "transmission". And I was talking of how it can be complete without seeing GM is person.

When I say "a student of GMDW" I mean somebody who is his student right now and that person tells me some info what is not disclosed here in the thread.

Do you know anybody in yoga or tantra who got "immortality " without transmission in spiritual lineage? They not even recommend to practice it without it. Try to practice trulkhor without transmission. Why is it not the case in Taoism?

Edited by Antares
  • Like 1

Will answer tomorrow when I get home from work, I know you are honest and that to me is good but there is somethings that are right in front of you & inside of you that no transmission will ever give you. But will write something tomorrow for sure, I understand you are on the path and want to know why and how but the basics are most important. Also maybe you could make a clip to show how you do the FP standing moving meditation so maybe I can or even better Sifu Terry can see what you are doing wrong or adjust for you. I can tell by just looking at someone if they have understood the basics of our BFP systems methods.

Sifu Garry

• Like 2

When I say "a student of GMDW" I mean somebody who is his student right now and that person tells me some info what is not disclosed here in the thread.

Who is this student that you keep referring to,if its not a secret?Can you share with the rest of us what kind of info?

All movements follow the laws of Rise Fall Contract Expand, these 4 are the ingredients to help circulate and pump the energy around, out and into the body.

Mind cannot understand transmission.

Only heart does.

I intended to study and the learn the movements of the above posted gold, but in the first minute, I got what I need.

Virtue and love counts more than any technique in the way.

You will get the transmission only when you are ready,

when you start seeing life through your heart as a simple habit.

I am practicing only two moving standing meds of FPCK for three years diligently with no live teachers,

only by the light I am receiving from this thread, by the two best Sifus of my life.

Please be grateful to them and ask your questions from your heart, not from any other body part .

With my sincere gratitudes,

Cihan

Edited by cihan
  • Like 4

Who is this student that you keep referring to,if its not a secret?Can you share with the rest of us what kind of info?

It dows not really matter who is that person.

For example I was said that moves must not be so slow. And I agree bc in standing moves I feel uncomfortable doing it so slow and I posted the clip before where you could see me jerking. That person says that horse stance should be shoulder width apart, not that wide. Otherwisw it blocks flow of qi. And I do with more narrow stance than ST says on DVD.

Also FP and SYG could be combined in group of meds and done together. And info about how many levels there and more other but no that much. This is examples how people can teach differently learning from the same teacher and how it is to learn from DVD. But most important is energetic influence of teacher on the student whcih no any DVD can do. And that person confirmed that but occasionally. And you can find ST words in this thread how greatly GMDW affected his training.

Mind cannot understand transmission.

Only heart does.

I intended to study and the learn the movements of the above posted gold, but in the first minute, I got what I need.

Virtue and love counts more than any technique in the way.

You will get the transmission only when you are ready,

when you start seeing life through your heart as a simple habit.

I am practicing only two moving standing meds of FPCK for three years diligently with no live teachers,

only by the light I am receiving from this thread, by the two best Sifus of my life.

Please be grateful to them and ask your questions from your heart, not from any other body part .

With my sincere gratitudes,

Cihan

But what is the heart? Have you really realized what you are saying about? It is true that mind can not understand the heart. Only teacher who realized his heart can transmitt it to you. Okey, I do not want to be too much dogmatic but lets be realistic.

You do only 2 meds for 3 years, right?

There are over 500 another meds in FP. Let's calculate how many years it will take you to cultivate all of them. Do you think this is all what you need? And did you really understand those moves?

And here: http://thetaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/?p=448954

I cited something about another spiritual lineage which was recieved by Tilopa from Buddha Vajradhara as they believe it.

The lineage of the Kagyu emphasizes the continuity of oral instructions passed on from master to student. This emphasis is reflected in the literal meaning of "Kagyu." The first syllable "Ka" refers to the scriptures of the Buddha and the oral instructions of the guru. "Ka" has the sense both of the enlightened meaning conveyed by the words of the teacher, as well as the force which such words of insight carries. The second syllable "gyu" means lineage or tradition. Together, these syllables mean "the lineage of the oral instructions."

The main method is Mahamudra there.

Mahamudra Instructions

Tilopa also gave to Naropa Mahamudra instructions:

The fool in his ignorance, disdaining Mahamudra, knows nothing but struggle in the flood of samsara.
Have compassion for those who suffer constant anxiety!
Sick of unrlenting pain and desiring release, adhere to a master,
For when his blessing touches your heart, the mind is liberating.

What do you think the blessing is?

Garry, what is on video btw? There is no any description. It would be nice if you could tell more about your video that you post here. I can't see what is that for. But looks nice