Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Why worry about how many levels there are? You can do levels 1 and 2 for a lifetime and make huge progress - perhaps more than if you zipped through 18 or however many levels. I'm sure that anyone who adequately practices the first seven levels will understand what to do next. No need to worry about this stuff, it just gets in the way of real practice.

• Like 3

Thank you alleswasderfallist, I was going to make a similar answer.

Allow me to add one thought or two :)

It is none of our business and not under our power to ask for the complete FP system. Sifu Terry will or will not release/teach the complete system at his own discretion. We are not in charge of that and have no right to demand a complete system.

Our business is to practice, practice, practice and make the most of what we have. I find my integrity in this. :)

Best, :)

• Like 3

I like this chikung and I would continue with it solely if I would know clearly how many levels must be completed and how many are going to be released? HELP! Does anyone know the answer?

Back in the thread, I believe it was posted that so far around half of the system is published, and that something more might be released in the near future too. But don't quote me on that, I might be wrong.

Bubbles, I personally can not agree with you. And my is very sorry for that. :)

Please don't make assumptions that I demand that Sifu Terry gives me something. This is not nice to distort what was asked indeed. And why not to answer to such simple query? Give me the reason for that please.

Do you have time for 324 meditations in your life? If someone says that Level 1 is somewhat complete then provide a link for that but not to say like I think that.... I appreciate your opinions on anything here but it's better if somebody very knowlegable would reply on this.

Back in the thread, I believe it was posted that so far around half of the system is published, and that something more might be released in the near future too. But don't quote me on that, I might be wrong.

No, man. That's the point. Some people only saying their believes. Somebody who is learning FPCK under GMDW said that he was said by GMDW that there are 18 levels with 18 meds in each. So it is only 1/18 has been published. Another point that levels 1 and 2 might be enough for everything good in life like walking on the sky and flying far galaxies in no dream that's another case! ;):)

This will be my last post on this.

You don't have to agree with me Antares, it is perfectly ok like that.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you.

My take on this is simple, let me rephrase it and as I say, I will not post again on any peripherical matter so that you will feel free to directly engage a discussion with Sifu Terry if you want :)

FP or SYG or any system from Doo Wai family seem to be quite sophisticated systems that require a lot of practice from people willing to master them. Reading what Sifu Terry or Sifu Garry say about that should be enough to convince anyone.

Therefore, whether they have 2, 18 or 72 levels doesn't really matter to me because I sense that thinking about that over and over will only disctract me from the practice. What matters to me is to do my best with what I have during the time I can practice.

I notice that Fu_Doggy is a business man with a busy schedule. I mean he probably has less time to practice than most of us. But to my knowledge, he is the one in this thread ( I don't count Sifu Terry of course) who has the most steady, regular and solid rock practice of FP. And guess what, he is just practicing without asking himself myriads of questions about the best system (SYG or FP or Burning Palm or God knows what) or the most doable or what have you. He is just doing FP because he found it was so beneficial to him and he obviously discarded all others ancillary questions. Correct me Fu_Doggy if I am wrong :)

Digging here and there will make small holes whereas digging everyday at the same place will make a profound hole.

I am done Antares :). I will not interfere anymore and I am sorry for my misunderstanding.

edited for spelling

Edited by bubbles
  • Like 1

Okey, Bubble, I have got you. Your might not reply anymore. In order people don't ask it again and again it is better if one who transmits a system to a public would say in the very beginning how big the system and how it can be transmitted. You do not care of this and this is fine. But others might think of this. And what is wrong you think with answering to this questions?

Regarding your example, some people can meet Sifu Terry anytime and they don't care much about what is published or not. Other people can not meet teachers in person and they want to have idea of what to practice. This is normal to clarify this in any other methods. Please read other threads on the forum where people answering questions about systems, how many levels in it, what is the goal and many other issues. Why not to answer this query in the beginning? Is it not normal or what?

If you think I can not even ask this question and if I ask then I stop posting here and probably change my practice for another one. Why you think you can jeer at me? I practice 3-4 hours every day. And I do not know what other people looking for. It's their personal choice. I can commit only in the system which can give tools for my needs. If system can not give it I can change for another one. May be you not aware of this and this is your personal choice. I don't want to compare people like you.

• Like 1

You both have valid points, Ive always said if the system resonates with you and makes sense to you on how the system/s have been made do it and do it well. Its ok to ask a teacher any question if he answers it or not his choice, also you may not get the answer you wanted sometimes. At one stage I did the same with GMDW he started teaching me just say SYG then I would have all these questions, he would simples say you do it and you tell me that frustrated me but also made me better at listening and researching my own body and all the theories of internal practice. When I "GOT IT" I would tell him and we would then talk all about the question and why I had this experience or that and he would also fill in blanks from that question that I knew I felt or had but in a different way.

Dont worry what art or method is better, maybe you could also become better and make it better than the Sifu teaching as long as u stick with the principles and methods of the said system.

No, man. That's the point. Some people only saying their believes. Somebody who is learning FPCK under GMDW said that he was said by GMDW that there are 18 levels with 18 meds in each. So it is only 1/18 has been published. Another point that levels 1 and 2 might be enough for everything good in life like walking on the sky and flying far galaxies in no dream that's another case! ;):)

I didn't express myself clearly enough I'm sorry, I wanted to say that Sifu says back in the thread, ie. that this question has been answered by him already. Eg. here:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/page-51#entry248237

so I wasn't that off with the "around half of the system".

but there are more posts from him describing the details of what wasn't published yet, and what will never be published.

Garry, that's wise reply. But I only wanted to have a hint if the material which is published enough tools or not even a close to enough. Otherwise I personally can not concentrate and start wondering... It is better to answer simplest questions. The system is good but I do not like too vast systems which would be impossible to cultivate even physically. Agree, we are not in the mountains where you can practice 10 hours akin to Ancient China times

Also I like to add Sifu Terry has shared so much with you and many here are not even his student you just bought DVDs on the practice, you know what I mean?

But this is not only about money. It is time and efforts too. You say that Sifu might not to answer questions which he does not like. Then one has choice to commit or not. In ancient times there were not choice and people just met teacher and followed him. At this times we have too much information and bigger choice. If Sifu Terry shared much that's perfect and thanks to him. But what is wronh to answer simplest question? And this is one of the major question which is normal to ask. I repeat once again if I was not clear - if you can not get tools for practice would you continue to practice it?

Understood, whats your purpose for doing FP and or SYG?

You answered before and I replied. I might have one "clever" reply of the mind and another which is only feeling which difficult to express. All people uncosciousely looking for happiness. Just good health is not big issue for me. I could do some 20 minutes yoga complex and it is enough for good health. I think I was clear with my query on comparison of neidan and dao yin. You said it's neikung akin to neidan. But you can say only about your system and it is clear how many "levels" there and how it can be transmitted. No questions to you. :) .... I just wnated to make choice between FP and SYG as I have no time for both

Okey, I have got your idea. I do not want to ask anything more. I do not want to screw it up. I do not like to oppose myself.

What was your question?

My questions were:

1) FP is neikung too or not and if those levels which will be released on DVDs are enough tools and how many "levels" one needs to cultivate.

Not so difficult questions I believe. Don't want to ask anything else. that's ENOUGH

Leif, thanks for the link.

In answer to your question: There are 6 DVD's and they represent a little more than 1/2 of the Flying Phoenix System. (I called the various DVD titles as containing "Basic" meditations (Vols. 1, 2), "Intermediate" (vol.3) and, "Advanced" (vol. 4, 5, 7) only to organize the ONE LEVEL of FP qigong by the difficulty and length of the movements in the various exercises.

For example, the DVD series teaches a total of 10 seated "Monk Serves Wine" mediations.
During my 6 yrs of training with GM Doo Wai, I was taught 24 seated MSW meditations, the 3 seated Warm-up meditations on Vol.2 and one basic but longer, 24-movement seated meditation that is the most complex of all the MSW meds, but not the most advanceed. I also learned advanced standing FP meditations beyond what I titled as the Long Form Standing meditation (in Vol.4), but have decided not to published them. (They are not the same as the material on the videos distributed on www.flyingphoenix.com.)

As to how much of the Flying Phoenix Qigong system I was officially authorized to teach by GM Doo Wai: I was authorized in writing by GM Doo Wai on March 25, 1994 to teach everything that I know that is called "Flying Phoenix" and/or "Monk Serves Wine"--as I choose. You will find a copy of the Grandmaster's letter on my website at this link: http://www.taichimania.com/3-25-94_GMDW_FP_ltr%28redacted%29.jpg

(It's hard to find this link on my Chi Kung For Health DVD catalog page because it's in small red print near end of the top paragraphs just before the DVD listings).

http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Thanks for the question.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

This is another information than I was said by someone else who is another GMDW's student. He said there are 18 levels with 18 meds in each. That is where my confusion coming from. I just thought that it would be to much. But if more than half is published it is fine. Just wanted to clarify it

Edited by Antares

Bubbles - You are absolutely correct. As Sifu Garry often says, slow and steady is the way....and that's what I try to do.

Considering the Flying Phoenix meditations, I feel there is much more to be realized if I simply do a better job of simply practicing what I know. After the two year mark, I was fortunate to have had some extraordinary experiences while practicing FP. Experiences that Sifu Terry may refer to as super-normal.

But I do not have these super-normal experiences consistently, and this tells me that the limitation is not the number of meditations that I practice, but rather the limitations are with me. I am confident that if I practice with enough consistency and sincerity that there is much more that I can gain from the FP meditations.

Speaking of FP meditations, it is now 9:30 PM in Orlando, and it's time to go practice.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I am enjoying these questions and answers. The people on this blog have well developed minds. I like Sifu Garry's question to Antares which is also a question to all of us. Why are we doing chi kung, what are we seeking? And the perfect answer belongs to Antares when he said, "happiness". That was my reason for starting on the path 40 yrs ago and that is my reason for still treading the path. There is no end to the levels of happiness. I do chi kung for the same reason I do TM, evolution of Consciousness which has unlimited levels. I am grateful for the FP and the SYG meditations that have been released to us. I do not mind not having what else is out there. I have more than enough to master from what I now have. This is powerful healing energy and our nervous systems have to take it in gradually. We will all get there when we get there. I figure that I have what I am equipped to handle. I don't ask for seconds at meals when there is still food left on my plate.

• Like 1

What is Dao Yin to you AS well Nei Dan?

Dao Yin is based more on personal consciousness. This is one out of the minor methods. That means it is for health/ healing/ martial arts / psychic power. Subsumes occult power methods and is based on postcelectial qi.

Nei Dan is based on transmission within spiritual Daoist lineage. It cultivates Yangsheng and is based on precelstial qi cultivation. 

It might look similar but it has diff approaches. And diff principles. That's why in authentic taoist scriptures high level taoists criticized methods based on personal consciousness (Yinsheng) without connection to the Tradition. 

Thus we can not say that all methods and qigong are the same. And saying "slow and steady" is not the capstone of these phenomenon.

If somebody is not aware of this here please do not attack those who wanted to clarify this. Just admit that you yourself might be limited in understanding.

Authentic spiritual lineages have they scriptures and methods. This is different approaches from qigong systems as such.

Edited by Antares

As for the levels GMDW's personal student confirmed that there are 18 levels with 36 meds in each.

18 standing and 18 seated.

This is not the system of just 2 levels with half published. Somebody is not saying truth.

And I just wanted to say that for me it is too vast system. And it seems to be huge dao yin system.

Edited by Antares

Well you are entitled to your own understanding if its right or wrong, maybe your better off with the quick quick as the kun lun mob would say and only has 3 levels? Slow and steady wins the race with me, maybe not you!

Good luck in your training..