Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

I've had so many dang hiccups in life along with so many great aspects in the last six months; which in all result in starting back with DVD ONE STANDING MEDITATIONS.

Yup! I am slow... :wacko:

Prior to realising I was not going to farm in Taiwan as I hoped (still working on that miss somamech lol) I mixed one thing I learnt in Yoga whilst doing bending the bows.

"Put your mind in the body and let it rest"

It was a teacher from the Yogendra system who said the above whilst we learnt. By combining that very thought whilst doing the Basic Standing Meditations in FP (Bending the Bows in sequence with the whole DVD) that the above thought whilst practising made for me the FP more profound.

:blush:

For anyone reading this please note that these are only my own personal experiences from a beginner's perspective. :)

Hi Somamech,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Five Basic Standing Flying Phoenix Meditations on Vol. 1. As several contributors have noted already, going back to the Basic Standing Meds after doing the more advanced FP Meditations is fine. As long as you get around to doing them all and experience their cumulative energizing effects...that's all that matters.

The instruction that you got from your teaching in the Yogendra system is a very good general one.

In any form of meditation, the goal is first to quiet the mind, to turn off the internal dialog. And this of course can apply to FP Qigong practice.

But as I've explained from the very start of this discussion thread, once you do the FP breath control sequence and the posture and movements (if there are movements in the exercise)correctly, the energizing/rejuvenating effects will occur regardless of how you focus the mind. Once you start any of the FP Meditations, you can think about anything that you want. That's one of the extraordinary features of this Qigong: once you bring the organ systems (orbs) under the regulation of the subconscious mind, your conscious mind can be doing virtually anything.

I will post his entire 1997 letter to me sometime, but a workshop student and good friend of mine, Prof. Fred Underwood,who btw was Bob Thurman's predecessor as head of Indo-Tibetan Studies at Columbia University's Department of Religion, wrote that the Flying Phoenix Qigong showed him what "the early Buddhist writings meant by 'touching Nirvana with the body'."

Again, just performing the breath-control sequence of each exercise and holding the postures and doing the slow movements will get you to this experience with Flying Phoenix Qigong. No additional breathing method, no visualizations, no concentration on any particular aspect of your body or your physiology or on the cosmos, or on any symbol, character, icon is required to gain the health benefits from FP Qigong practice.

For similar explanation, visit http://taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html and http://taichimania.com/flyingphoenix.html

I hope you realize your dream of becoming a Taiwanese farmer with your partner!

Best,

Sifu Terry

To all FP Qigong practitioners and enthusiasts:

I. Last Saturday morning, I taught my Los Angeles class the basic and intermediate levels of the standing Flying Phoenix Qigong system excluding the 20-minute Standing Long Meditation (FPHHCM) (seen on Volume 4) and concentrating on "Moon-Beam Splashes on Water" (90 60 50 20). This was the order of practice that flowed out of me:

1. "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" - 2x. First time at Tai Chi speed to teach the movements; the second round taking 20 minutes to complete.

2. Monk Gazing at Moon - 10 minutes

3. Monk Holding Peach - 10 minutes

4. Monk Holding Pearl - 10 minutes

5. Wind above the Clouds - 2 times (8 minutes total)

6. Bending the Bows - 18 repetitions over the course of 12 minutes.

7. Wind Through the Treetops - 5 times over 30 minutes. (3 repetitions of the movements only without the breathing sequence; 2 rounds done very slowly using the breathing sequence [80 50 30].

8. "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" two times: 5 minute for first round; 10 min. for second repetition.

Then we shifted gears to Yang Tai Chi Chuan forms for 90 minutes.

II. This morning, I taught a private student, 88 years old, this sequence of Flying Phoenix seated meditations in a very easy-going 65-minute session:

A. Monk Gazing At Moon from Vol.1 - (8 minutes)

B. Basic seated meditation from Vol.2: 50 30 10 -- (8 repetitions over approx. 10 minutes)

C. Basic seated meditation 50 10 50 from Vol.2 -- (12 minutes)

D. Monk Serves Wine #1 (90 50 40 30 10) 3 instructional repetitions of this 6-movement meditation without breathing sequence followed by 7 repetitions with preceded by breath control sequence. -- (15 minutes total)

E. the simple four-movement, advanced Monk Serves Wine Meditation with breathing: 20 40 90 10 (Vol. 7) - (10 repetitions over 20 minutes, taking 10 resting breathes between each rep.)

III. My general recommendation to FP Qigong practitioners who have practiced the system for one year or more as of this time: once the basic standing meditations have been established, proceed to make the moving meditations in Volumes 2, 3, 4 your second nature.

For more info on FPQ, see:

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Happy Holidays.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Hi Sihing Terry,

Here is something you may find interesting which Ive been researching just of late which is and can be part of your FP systems astrology awakening? In my YKM and Primordial Chaos One Qi Palm we also have the same names present and found some striking resemblance's.

The Phoenix Constellation from wiki - Phoenix is a minor constellation in the southern sky. It is named after the Phoenix, a mythical bird. It is faint: there are only two stars in the whole constellation which are brighter than magnitude 5.0. Alpha Phoenicis is named Ankaa, an Arabic word meaning 'the boat'.

We have the twin phoenix returns to the nest, as well 2 phoenix with other names in YKM and WY BUT the name is the same, could this be the 2 bright stars of the phoenix in this constellation??? ;)

We also have the Phoenix ascends to the sun amongst other names for movements, and as you know the phoenix after every 500yrs will die and be reborn from its own ashes according to mythology!

Regards

Sifu Garry

Hi Sihing Terry,

Here is something you may find interesting which Ive been researching just of late which is and can be part of your FP systems astrology awakening? In my YKM and Primordial Chaos One Qi Palm we also have the same names present and found some striking resemblance's.

The Phoenix Constellation from wiki - Phoenix is a minor constellation in the southern sky. It is named after the Phoenix, a mythical bird. It is faint: there are only two stars in the whole constellation which are brighter than magnitude 5.0. Alpha Phoenicis is named Ankaa, an Arabic word meaning 'the boat'.

We have the twin phoenix returns to the nest, as well 2 phoenix with other names in YKM and WY BUT the name is the same, could this be the 2 bright stars of the phoenix in this constellation??? ;)

We also have the Phoenix ascends to the sun amongst other names for movements, and as you know the phoenix after every 500yrs will die and be reborn from its own ashes according to mythology!

Regards

Sifu Garry

Hi Sihing Garry,

Thank you for the information about the Phoenix minor constellation and the use of the word Phoenix in various movements in the YKM, Primordial Chaos Palm One Qi, BFP and OBM systems.

I'm not familiar with Chinese names for stellar constellations and don't know if the ancient Chinese names for constellations have any in common with the names used in western astronomy and astrology.

Other than being used in the lofty name of our medical qigong system, "Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Meditations" (Fei Feng San Gung), in the "Red Phoenix" meditations, and appearing in some of our BFP and your OBM meditations and techniques, I am not aware of the term "phoenix" being used in any oral teachings in the FP Qigong system or in other BFP arts. I have not yet checked my notes on the 10,000 Buddhas Meditation system to see if "phoenix" appears anywhere in those 48 health/martial meditations. But off the top of my mind, I don't recall that it does. I'm pretty certain that the term "phoenix" doesn't appear in any part of the Eight Sections Combined System (BDG)--at least to the extent that GMDW simply referred to each of the 8 Sections, or "Lo", as "first", "second"..."eighth, etc.

Thanks again for your post... you just inspired me to add a new section for my FP Qigong book having to do with the symbolic and functional use of the Flying Phoenix name.

All the best,

Sihing Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hi Sihing,

In my arts the names of the sections describe certain things to make a person feel or experience what the name represents. 7 star , phoenix , fierce tiger, spirit ape observes the moon all these types of names hold many important things that one must research and develop.

I think your FP has something to do with the mythology and stars!

Regards

Garry

Happy New Year! Here is another theory. According to ancient alien theorists, early man may have had encounters with extraterrestrials beings. Early mankind thought these beings were Gods and Goddesses because they came from the sky. The monk Foe Do Duk may have had an extraterrestrial encounter which led to the creation of the FP meditations.The Doo family ancestors may have had similar encounters with celestial beings. Happy New Year!

Peace love and respect! B)

Hi Sihing,

In my arts the names of the sections describe certain things to make a person feel or experience what the name represents. 7 star , phoenix , fierce tiger, spirit ape observes the moon all these types of names hold many important things that one must research and develop.

I think your FP has something to do with the mythology and stars!

Regards

Garry

Hi Sihing Garry,

The Flying Phoenix Qigong is true to its mythological name because the tangible and at times visible healing energy that it cultivates is rejuvenating to the extent that it suspends the aging process--as practitioners such as Fu_dog, ridingtheox have reported on the thread.

The names of the many chi kung exercises GM Doo Wai taught us--"Child Praying to the Goddess of Mercy", "Jade Emperior Lifts the Golden Pagoda", "Monk Dries the Sutras", "Monk Splashes Water", "Wind Above the Clouds", "Moonbeam Splashes (Reflects) on the Water"--are often--but not always--left-brain mneumonics, i.e., words or phrases that make a movement or a form (series of movements) more easily remembered. Other more interesting (right-brain) mneumonics stimulate memory and/or imagination in the course of catalyzing supernormal power.

As you know, sometimes the name describes the nature of the meditation's movements or the form's movements or the physical appearance of the posture, or the "feeling" or emotional content and countenance to maintain while practicing it. Sometimes the name of the exercise provides (or hints at) the mental imagery that the practitioner maintains during practice. Sometimes the Chinese name of an exercise is a right-brain mneumonic device, a symbol that "tricks" the mind into allowing the body to move or to release energy a certain way (as in Tai Chi Chuan, where there are numerous oral teachings that catalyze or enable fa-jing). Sometimes the name is an oral teaching that only makes sense when it is uttered or thought of simultaneously with the execution of a technique. But sometimes the name is only a poetic Chinese name or a Chinese literary reference --with no deeper meaning or instruction.

Regards,

Terry

Hi Sihing,

Im only going off what I know from various arts of mine as well from GMDW regarding connection to names for forms or names of movements related to yin yang, 5 element, astrology. For instance in Wun Yuen Gong, the fierce tiger exits the forest has a movement that that stimulates the liver and gallbladder, wood element as in the forest and the fierce tiger is the release of energy Ging that is needed to stimulate that organ and meridan to purge it. Funny enough the same name and almost the identical move is found in Yau Kung Muns, Fierce Tiger Exits the forest. This is also attack to the persons leg merdian and pressure points that correlate with the persons organ! Now this is getting deep, same as the Sheung Hok Chuk Dong movements in YKM Internal system, the 2 Cranes exit the cave, which is opening up of the Bai Hui "crown energy or chakra" and its done at the beginning of the form and at the end of the form its the 2 cranes return back to the cave. Most moon names belong with that energy and relates to the magnetic forces of it and nature, being yin as well the water, so you having moon beam reflecting off water is double yin energy. Same goes for Wind amongst the clouds we use a visualisation method to connect with the air element in Burning Palm System.

Anyway thats enough for me for now, all the names helps one find the answer of the meaning behind each movement or meditation sections especially with my arts and I can see it in your own FP.

Happy new year of the Dragon, we at YKM have a huge Golden Dragon performance coming up as well many lion dances, I will hope to chat with you before then.

Be well my brother....

Sifu Garry

Hi Sihing,

Im only going off what I know from various arts of mine as well from GMDW regarding connection to names for forms or names of movements related to yin yang, 5 element, astrology. For instance in Wun Yuen Gong, the fierce tiger exits the forest has a movement that that stimulates the liver and gallbladder, wood element as in the forest and the fierce tiger is the release of energy Ging that is needed to stimulate that organ and meridan to purge it. Funny enough the same name and almost the identical move is found in Yau Kung Muns, Fierce Tiger Exits the forest. This is also attack to the persons leg merdian and pressure points that correlate with the persons organ! Now this is getting deep, same as the Sheung Hok Chuk Dong movements in YKM Internal system, the 2 Cranes exit the cave, which is opening up of the Bai Hui "crown energy or chakra" and its done at the beginning of the form and at the end of the form its the 2 cranes return back to the cave. Most moon names belong with that energy and relates to the magnetic forces of it and nature, being yin as well the water, so you having moon beam reflecting off water is double yin energy. Same goes for Wind amongst the clouds we use a visualisation method to connect with the air element in Burning Palm System.

Anyway thats enough for me for now, all the names helps one find the answer of the meaning behind each movement or meditation sections especially with my arts and I can see it in your own FP.

Happy new year of the Dragon, we at YKM have a huge Golden Dragon performance coming up as well many lion dances, I will hope to chat with you before then.

Be well my brother....

Sifu Garry

Hello Sihing Garry,

Thanks for your explanation and correlation of the names of forms and techniques in the YKM, OBM, and Wun Yuen Gong systems. Very interesting the close similarity of Fierce Tiger Exists Forest in both YKM and WYG.

We can only try to describe the workings of the Bok Fu Pai arts based on our experience of the truth in other arts. Even then, we have to be careful not to superimpose a different map or outside language on the unique terrain that is GM Doo Wai's Family arts. Of course, many of the names of BFP and OBM forms, techniques, meditations and other entire martial or healing art systems involve Yin/Yang, Five Elements, Chinese astrological concepts and Chinese animals simply because they are Chinese. As you know, some of the names are used in oral teachings and make sense and become effective only when the practitioner has developed his kung fu to a high enough level.

But I do know that the Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Kung system and all the advanced healing methods of that GM Doo Wai had taught me do NOT rely on meridian theory (and therefore do not involve Yin/Yang + 5 Element theory)--as I had explained very early on in this thread. To contrast his healing art with that of his friend, Taoist priest Share K. Lew (Grandmaster of the Tao Tan Pai system,"Taoist Elixir Method"), the system that I had learned many years before I met GM Doo Wai in 1990, GMDW said: "We don't manipulate energy (i.e., balance energy of one orb with that of other(s) using 5 Element Theory); we just pass our hand over."

This means--as I have experienced--that the healing energy cultivated by the Flying Phoenix Qigong and other advanced healing chi meditations under BFP umbrella is of such a potent nature that it spontaneously harmonizes a subject's unbalanced energy system (and heals the disease symptoms) without the need to specifically focus or concentrate one's shen chi.

Likewise, one of GM Doo Wai's most potent "stand-off" martial qigong methods does NOT rely one iota on meridian theory. Rather, its effective use depends on understanding the positions of the sun. In another potent "stand-off" martial qigong system, cultivation depends only on daily practice of the correct breath control sequences and meditation postures; execution depends ONLY on assuming a certain physiological focus on the target.

This is about all that I can say on a public forum, Si-hing, to make the observation that the Flying Phoenix Chi Kung system and other Bok Fu Pai internal arts--are very, very different from the internal systems of other Chinese kung-fu styles (e.g, Southern Shaolin 5 Animals, Tao Tan Pai) that I have practiced or have heard about from comparing notes with other instructors.

Happy New Year of the Dragon. Please be sure to have your students shoot HD footage of your Golden Dragon performances!

All the best, my brother.

Sifu Terry

http://taichimania.com/flyingphoenix.html

Edited by zen-bear

Great post and agree with you Sihing, Burning Palm uses the elements of nature and the breath percentages only, for its healing it uses the Burning Palm SLAP and or placing the hand/s on the body or above it as well herbs.

GMDW said also it can be done from a distance!

My breakdown was more of a medical point of view incase a student has liver problems they know that this move can help due to its move and name will pin point their method. Of course when doing the form we are in a no being state and u just do, all sections linking as one and health will come all over the body without the though of this for that and this for that just breaking down how the names relate with the medical elemental, yin yang theory through certain exercises! :)

When I look at internal arts I look at many things doing and non doing, being and no being to fully comprehend what I want to achieve, chinese kung fu is an amazing culture and all can bring good health.

Will do for the golden dragon coming, ill be doing the head of course....

Sifu Garry

It's been about a year since I first started practicing FPCK. I haven't been practicing continually in that year. I spent about seven months practicing the standing meditations and about 4 months practicing the seated meditations. The chi kung I've been doing over the past 4 or 5 months has been good (mostly simple standing and quiet sitting meditations), but I started to feel that I needed to revisit FPCK, so, for the past two weeks I have been practicing the seated meditations every day and the standing meditations about every other day.

The seated meditations have been GREAT! I can really feel the chi flowing now. So much so that it has begun to induce involuntary movements. About five minutes into my seated meditations, my hips with start rocking back and forth and my right shoulder will pop and roll all over the place (especially during the rotation section of first exercise).

The standing exercises have not been as . . . energetic, but I feel that I am learning a lot about my body from them. Monk Holds the Peach as always been one that seems to 'click' with me and it is also the most challenging (maybe that's part of the click?). The first time I did MHP it had a powerful effect on me and, considering how powerful ALL the meditations feel now, I was a little apprehensive about doing MHP. Interestingly, I felt it had the weakest energetic effect on me, but it was also the hardest to relax into. I feel like my hips need to come forward more than they are, but if I try to get them to move forward my feet won't stay flat on the floor.

I'm planning to start doing the standing meditations every day and see what happens.

I'm glad to see that this thread is still active. I hope to soon hear how everyone else's practices are progressing.

I'll start with two quotes from Carlos Castaneda's book, The Wheel of Time, then make a point about them later. Quoting Don Juan:

"The recommendation for warriors is not to have any material things on which to focus their power, but to focus it on the spirit, on the true flight into the unknown."

"The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity."

One of the things I gleaned in my 2+ years of Flying Phoenix is that for me personally, FP is one of the practices I am following in ultimate pursuit of the warrior’s path to the spirit.

FP can be an end in itself, providing the practitioner with the benefits of healing, energy and power, along with the extraordinary experience of the practice itself.

Or, it can be a means to an end. Depending on the depth of practice it can help take one along that path to the infinite that Don Juan describes in the quotation above.

I thought Sifu Terry’s advice of combining i Ching with FP to be quite valuable, as for me this sounds like an excellent and valuable addition to the practice itself. Thanks for the guidance Sifu.

Still, after two years of practice, while I can attest to the benefits of Flying Phoenix, I cannot say I understand what FP energy is, or where it comes from. I can’t say whether we all have some of that particular energy and the FP practice strengthens and refines it, or whether the practice draws that energy to us. I can say with certainty that the FP power is tangible. That said, I have heard scientists say those same things about gravity. B)

A little story: After my 100 days of FP practice, I took a small hiatus of about 3 weeks to learn some pranayama techniques. These techniques were powerful and energetic.

That said, after the three weeks, when I re-engaged in Flying Phoenix, even the simple basic seated exercises had me shaking (much like Green Tiger described) and perspiring significantly. This was an indication to me that even in that short period of time my body had lost the cleansing, healing energy that Flying Phoenix provides. The shaking and perspiration were indications that the FP energy was cleansing my system. Note: I had spent a week in Las Vegas during those three weeks, so I suppose some cleansing was in order. This experience was a not so gentle reminder to me that FP should be practice daily.

For those practicing FP, please post your progress and experience.

Fu_dog

Edited by Fu_dog

Hi, I have a quick question. Sorry if it's been answered already in the thread, I am reading through the whole thing but it's taking some time.

FPCK is described as a "healing" Qigong. Does that mean that by practicing it I am the one who is being healed? Or does it mean I am gaining the ability to heal others? Or both? And is the practice of FPCK enough to instigate this healing or is it just to store up healing chi which is to be utilized in some other practice?

Also a question about what exactly it is that FPCK heals. Does it heal cuts and bruises? Colds? Physical tension? Emotional problems? What doesn't it heal?

Thanks

Edited by AStralogic

I'll start with two quotes from Carlos Castaneda's book, The Wheel of Time, then make a point about them later. Quoting Don Juan:

"The recommendation for warriors is not to have any material things on which to focus their power, but to focus it on the spirit, on the true flight into the unknown."

"The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity."

One of the things I gleaned in my 2+ years of Flying Phoenix is that for me personally, FP is one of the practices I am following in ultimate pursuit of the warrior’s path to the spirit.

FP can be an end in itself, providing the practitioner with the benefits of healing, energy and power, along with the extraordinary experience of the practice itself.

Or, it can be a means to an end. Depending on the depth of practice it can help take one along that path to the infinite that Don Juan describes in the quotation above.

I thought Sifu Terry’s advice of combining i Ching with FP to be quite valuable, as for me this sounds like an excellent and valuable addition to the practice itself. Thanks for the guidance Sifu.

Still, after two years of practice, while I can attest to the benefits of Flying Phoenix, I cannot say I understand what FP energy is, or where it comes from. I can’t say whether we all have some of that particular energy and the FP practice strengthens and refines it, or whether the practice draws that energy to us. I can say with certainty that the FP power is tangible. That said, I have heard scientists say those same things about gravity. B)

A little story: After my 100 days of FP practice, I took a small hiatus of about 3 weeks to learn some pranayama techniques. These techniques were powerful and energetic.

That said, after the three weeks, when I re-engaged in Flying Phoenix, even the simple basic seated exercises had me shaking (much like Green Tiger described) and perspiring significantly. This was an indication to me that even in that short period of time my body had lost the cleansing, healing energy that Flying Phoenix provides. The shaking and perspiration were indications that the FP energy was cleansing my system. Note: I had spent a week in Las Vegas during those three weeks, so I suppose some cleansing was in order. This experience was a not so gentle reminder to me that FP should be practice daily.

For those practicing FP, please post your progress and experience.

Fu_dog

Hi Fu_dog,

Thank you for posting yet another very informative and detailed report of your two-plus-year experience with Flying Phoenix Chi Kung that is obviously helpful to other practitioners. Congratulations again for recently completing 100 consecutive days of FPCK practice. That is very good discipline on your part. I'm also glad that during and after your hiatus that you discovered that FPCK imparts powerful detoxification

Nice selections from Castaneda to show your mind as it relates to Flying Phoenix practice. If I may:

The flight of the spirit is one of knowing the unknowable, the Tao--each spirit according its strength. In other words, coming to the One God as closely as one can. In Taoist scriptures, this is expressed as "Embracing the One."

"infinity" = the Tao, Brahma-Atman, the Christos, Ultimate Reality, the Godhead--which is why he fears no man (as in Psalm 118)

Yes, Flying Phoenix Chi Kung is transformative physically and spiritually. It is a means to good health and longevity. Beyond that, it can be a vehicle to know Tao.[/b]

For your information: in addition to the Tai Chi Chuan, 6 Harmonies/8 Methods, Tao Tan Pai forms and Eight Sections of Energy Forms that I practice and/or teach everyday,

• I practice in the morning the Long Standing Meditation (Flyng Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation--on Vol.4) and Moonbeam Splashes on Water.

• If I have time, I end the morning practice session with the five 90-second standing FP Meditations (Vol.5). This takes less than 10 minutes, of course.

• Every evening before retiring, I practice two Monk Serves Wine meditations (7 repetitions of each)--both different than the two from the night before. (This takes approx. 20 minutes). REMINDER: Do NOT practice the MSW meditation with breathing sequence 90 80 50 20 unless wants to stay awake ALL night!!

You're welcome for the suggestion to consult the I Ching once one has been unified and energized by the FP Chi Kung.

Happy New Year of the Dragon, Fu_dog!

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hi, I have a quick question. Sorry if it's been answered already in the thread, I am reading through the whole thing but it's taking some time.

FPCK is described as a "healing" Qigong. Does that mean that by practicing it I am the one who is being healed? Or does it mean I am gaining the ability to heal others? Or both? And is the practice of FPCK enough to instigate this healing or is it just to store up healing chi which is to be utilized in some other practice?

Also a question about what exactly it is that FPCK heals. Does it heal cuts and bruises? Colds? Physical tension? Emotional problems? What doesn't it heal?

Thanks

Hello Astralogic:

Good basic questions. Here are the answers:

FPCK is described as a "healing" Qigong. Does that mean that by practicing it I am the one who is being healed? Or does it mean I am gaining the ability to heal others? Or both?

Answer: Both. The Flying Phoenix Chi Kung first heals the practitioner. Then develops the capacity for the healthy practitioner to heal others. One cannot do effective energy healing with lasting effects if one is not in good health with clean energy, of pure intent to heal, and relatively free of overhanging bad karma.

And is the practice of FPCK enough to instigate this healing or is it just to store up healing chi which is to be utilized in some other practice?

Answer: As I stated several times in the thread, if one has the compassionate nature and will to do healing work, the FP Chi Kung practice is enough to impart healing facility, instincts, and power. For as soon as one has attained vitality and strengthened immunity and cultivated a constantly increasing reserve or super-abundance of the tangible Flying Phoenix healing energy--sometimes within a matter months--that healing energy will at times spontaneously "jump off" from the FPCK practitioner to the subject of positive regard at the slightest inadvertant touch--without even having a focussed, conscious intent to heal. With the intent to heal and help, the FPCK healing energy is easily and naturally applied through whatever healing modality one is trained in. Healing with the hands (which was not given a particular name by Grandmaster Doo Wai within the Bok Fu Pai system) or an energy healing method such as Tui Na Acupressure is perhaps the most effective means of applying the FP healing energy.

I hope this adequately answers your questions. And I hope that in the third year of this discussion thread, that we have a good number of FP practitioners mastering the Long Form Standing Exercise (Vol.4) through consistent practice and thus becoming able to cross the threshold from self-healing to other-healing.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hello Astralogic:

Good basic questions. Here are the answers:

FPCK is described as a "healing" Qigong. Does that mean that by practicing it I am the one who is being healed? Or does it mean I am gaining the ability to heal others? Or both?

Answer: Both. The Flying Phoenix Chi Kung first heals the practitioner. Then develops the capacity for the healthy practitioner to heal others. One cannot do effective energy healing with lasting effects if one is not in good health with clean energy, of pure intent to heal, and relatively free of overhanging bad karma.

And is the practice of FPCK enough to instigate this healing or is it just to store up healing chi which is to be utilized in some other practice?

Answer: As I stated several times in the thread, if one has the compassionate nature and will to do healing work, the FP Chi Kung practice is enough to impart healing facility, instincts, and power. For as soon as one has attained vitality and strengthened immunity and cultivated a constantly increasing reserve or super-abundance of the tangible Flying Phoenix healing energy--sometimes within a matter months--that healing energy will at times spontaneously "jump off" from the FPCK practitioner to the subject of positive regard at the slightest inadvertant touch--without even having a focussed, conscious intent to heal. With the intent to heal and help, the FPCK healing energy is easily and naturally applied through whatever healing modality one is trained in. Healing with the hands (which was not given a particular name by Grandmaster Doo Wai within the Bok Fu Pai system) or an energy healing method such as Tui Na Acupressure is perhaps the most effective means of applying the FP healing energy.

I hope this adequately answers your questions. And I hope that in the third year of this discussion thread, that we have a good number of FP practitioners mastering the Long Form Standing Exercise (Vol.4) through consistent practice and thus becoming able to cross the threshold from self-healing to other-healing.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you Terry for answering.

I have one more question (to anyone who knows really). I just practiced the first DVD all the way through (my first FP practice) and ran into a slight annoyance. After being in the low horse stance for a few minutes my left foot seemed to constantly slide to the left making my stance get slowly wider. I needed to constantly make corrections to my stance because of this.

Will continued practice correct this in time? Also why do you think it happens? Are the muscles in my thighs and hips weak?

PS: Also, this is completely off topic but a fascinating question just popped into my mind. Does anyone know the Chinese/Taoist take on Kundalini? If anyone could link me to some information about it from a Taoist perspective (not yogic/indian) you would make my day. I feel that FPCK has the potential to re-awaken my Kundalini, but I have only known about this energy from a yogic/indian perspective, never Taoist.

Thank you Terry for answering.

I have one more question (to anyone who knows really). I just practiced the first DVD all the way through (my first FP practice) and ran into a slight annoyance. After being in the low horse stance for a few minutes my left foot seemed to constantly slide to the left making my stance get slowly wider. I needed to constantly make corrections to my stance because of this.

Will continued practice correct this in time? Also why do you think it happens? Are the muscles in my thighs and hips weak?

PS: Also, this is completely off topic but a fascinating question just popped into my mind. Does anyone know the Chinese/Taoist take on Kundalini? If anyone could link me to some information about it from a Taoist perspective (not yogic/indian) you would make my day. I feel that FPCK has the potential to re-awaken my Kundalini, but I have only known about this energy from a yogic/indian perspective, never Taoist.

Hello Astralogic,

Keeping your left foot from slipping outward while doing the "square horse" stance is simply a matter of continuous practice. The "horse riding step" is fundamental to all styles of Chinese martial arts and to virtually all systems of Qigong. The ultimate goal is to develop it to the point where one can move any part of the body naturally and effortlessly while in the stance. You just have to do it a lot. Even just practice holding the stance for long durations 10-15 minutes straight without doing any Chi Kung exercise--as all beginning kung-fu and some Tai Chi students are trained to do.

It's been a long, long time since I thought about Kundalini energy. Kundalini is the Indian description of the latent energy in the body that is linked to (the same as) the divine macrocosmic energy. Kundalini is identical to prana, according to many master yogins. Some describe it as a vital libidinal force that emanates from the base of the spine and has the potential to charge all the 7 chakras in the Indian conception or map of the human energy body, which accompanies enlightenment or attainment of cosmic consciousness, or in Taoist terms, immortality. The "awakening" of the Kundalini is what gives rise to the siddhi's, or supernormal powers. Any complete system of yoga--whether Chinese, Tibetan, Persian, Syrian, Egyptian, Taoist or Buddhist, that involves harnessing sexual energy (or tantra) is related to the concept of Kundalini. Indian yogas visualize the Kundalini as two complementary, polarized and intercoiled energies that can run along the path of the spine from its base to the crown of the head--if activated. At the base, it is represented by a serpentine form coiled 3.5 times around the lingum (cosmic egg). (Some Chinese internal alchemy maps are similar to the energy maps of the body as Indian yogas with notable variations.) Chinese tantric yogas that involve the transmutation of sexual energy into spiritual energy do not necessarily focus on the Kundalini energy specifically in the same manner that Indian yogic systems do. Some Indian masters regard undue focus on the Kundalini as an obstruction to the path of spiritual growth.

I do not refer to the Kundalini in my teachings, nor make it an object of meditative focus. None of the Taoist and Buddhist Chi Kung and Neigung systems that I am trained in--including Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi Kung and Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method)--require mental or visual focus on the Kundalini in order to evolve the human energy system and the spirit to its maximum potential, or as Castaneda put it, to "claim the Totality of oneself." Thus based on my yogic experience (and I have seen Kundalini yoga practices in the 70's), I would advise students to visualize the Kundalini only AFTER it has been awakened--when one has actually SEEN it...and not to attempt to induce its development by visualizing one's idea of it or someone else's idea/representation of the Kundalini. Chikung cultivation can range from a blunt and c crude (if not practiced correctly) to an elegant and sublime physio-psychological-spiritual process (if practiced correctly). The more elegant and sublime the transformation, the safer that system is.

Regards,

Terry Dunn

Sifu Terry,

One quick question:

"•If I have time, I end the morning practice session with the five 90-second standing FP Meditations (Vol.5). This takes less than 10 minutes, of course."

How fast do we do the breathing sequences before the meditations ?

I tend to do them as relaxed and slow as possible, but then even 3 breath sequences take at least 2.5 minutes in this way.

Update on my practice:

I am doing the long form for 1.5 years and bending the bows for 5 months, almost daily up to 2 months ago.

Then, these physical transformations occured:

A glow feeling like a white mist started flowing inside my skull on and off during the day, and stayed there on and off, for the last week it stayed with me longest, feeling like a misty glowing lake just under my eyeballs.When I close my eyes I can physically see the glow. I can also sense this glowing in my brain. At first I was scared, but it feels "right" and I got used to it.

On the bending part of the long form , while doing the stretches also in the "Wind Above Clouds", I noticed the glands under my armpits for the first time in my life, they activate and do something I cannot describe which I feel at my back as "feel very goood"

The standing exercises I am doing are like a physical sensations symphony I am conducting, there are visible glows always when I lift my arms above the throat level, and hairs standing up, happiness rising in the front and sometimes activating my heart flooding me with intense emotions (I did actually cry once during the exercise braying like a donkey :) ) , and the back currents feeling warm and something plus, all performing like an orchestra, on the 2 axis of my body ending at my heels.

I also noticed the glands underneath my chin which I was never aware. White misty glows I think are probably secretions of certain glands in my head which I can see when they circulate around my optical faculties.

These are my physical and less subjective (if there is anything as such) feelings, I am sure most of the practitioners of FP experience them, and I am still in the very beginning. I also sense my bones in a very subjective way therefore I don't want to describe.

I reduced the exercises a little because of the intensive feelings , but I am still doing them like 4 times each week and probably will never quit them.

Thank you againfor this gift,

Cihan

Hello Cihan,

How are things in Turkey?

answer: You do the breath-control sequences for the five 90-second meditations at the same speed that you do those for all the other FP Qigong meditation--as slowly and relaxedly as possible.

I am doing the long form for 1.5 years and bending the bows for 5 months, almost daily up to 2 months ago.

*Long Form plus Bending the Bows--This is a very good practice regimen*

Then, these physical transformations occured:

A glow feeling like a white mist started flowing inside my skull on and off during the day, and stayed there on and off, for the last week it stayed with me longest, feeling like a misty glowing lake just under my eyeballs.When I close my eyes I can physically see the glow. I can also sense this glowing in my brain. At first I was scared, but it feels "right" and I got used to it.

"Misty glow starting flowing inside the skull. Then under the eyeballs." Good that this is occuring on and off during the day. Yes, the FP energy effect can be "seen" with eyes closed. If you do several of the Basic or Advanced Seated Monk Serves Wine Meditations in a row, you will feel more of these sensations in the skull and head and more fully understand the MSW's healing effects. The goal is to allow the Flying Phoenix energy to totally permeate every cell in your body.

On the bending part of the long form , while doing the stretches also in the "Wind Above Clouds", I noticed the glands under my armpits for the first time in my life, they activate and do something I cannot describe which I feel at my back as "feel very goood"

**you just reminded me that I experienced the same thing with the glands in the armpits when I first learned the Flying Phoenix Qigong in 1991 from GM Doo Wai. One in my left armpit actually swelled up considerably (never experienced anything like it in my entire life up to that point [38 years at that time]). But the swelling subsided after about a month...I attribute it to other energy changes in my body brought on by FP Qigong and 3 other Bok Fu Pai internals arts that i was learning at the same time.**

The standing exercises I am doing are like a physical sensations symphony I am conducting, there are visible glows always when I lift my arms above the throat level, and hairs standing up, happiness rising in the front and sometimes activating my heart flooding me with intense emotions (I did actually cry once during the exercise braying like a donkey :) ) , and the back currents feeling warm and something plus, all performing like an orchestra, on the 2 axis of my body ending at my heels.

Braying like a donkey -- fantastic. A sure sign of the healing process taking place on many levels. In the 1970's and 1980's when my classmates and I applied energy-balancing (made possible by Tao Tan Pai neigung) to psychological counseling, we used to have to combine the Qigong practice with body-based hands-on therapy to effect this type of psycho-physiological release. The FP Qigong system in its sublimity does it all at once

One of my students named Marie Cenkner (an artist who started with me in 1996), had a natural gift for seeing colorful auras and energies and her "seeing" was enhanced profoundly after she learned the FP Qigong. I see energies but not usually in color (except for the bright sky-blue FP energy)--I see mostly transparent layers of energy textures--textures that differ with each energy's density, nature and intensity.

I also noticed the glands underneath my chin which I was never aware. White misty glows I think are probably secretions of certain glands in my head which I can see when they circulate around my optical faculties.

**The activation of the glands around the neck and face are committant with the arrest-of-aging effects of the FP Energy. Facial lines and wrinkles disappear or become much less pronounced; the skin becomes very smooth, soft and pliable. These are effects that I think Fu_dog had described during the first of his 2 years of practicing the FP Qigong.**

These are my physical and less subjective (if there is anything as such) feelings, I am sure most of the practitioners of FP experience them, and I am still in the very beginning. I also sense my bones in a very subjective way therefore I don't want to describe.

I reduced the exercises a little because of the intensive feelings , but I am still doing them like 4 times each week and probably will never quit them.

**Four times a week is a good and healthy frequency for practice.**

The "intensive feelings" that are causing you to limit or curtail practice if purely physiological cannot be amplified to any degree that would be harmful to the physical body or spirit in anyway. It is just not possible with the Flying Phoenix qigong--it only harmonizes the energies of the body. Given that you've experienced cathartic emotional release, the "intensive feelings" I suspect are emotional in nature. If that is the case, just consider those "feelings" as grist for the mill. Steady practice of the FP Qigong will steadily bring-to-surface and transform/vent time-bound psycho-somatic pains. If you can, talk to someone about these feelings and give them vent.

• If a warrior is sad and needs solace, he can pick anyone to whom to voice his pain."

--don Juan to Carlos Castaneda

• The superior man confronts his (subconscious) problems; therefore he does not experience them (manifested).

• On the path of good health and sanity--let alone spiritual growth: "processing pain is like taking a piss: when you gotta go, you gotta go."

• all the above relates to what Castaneda's teacher don Juan taught as "cleaning the island of the tonal" --in order to attain the impeccability of a warrior.

(I think in Castaneda's 3rd book, Journey to Ixtlan)

Regards,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

If I want to practice Monk Gazes at Moon for half an hour do I repeat the sequence on the video several times until half an hour is up or do I just hold the position once for the full mount of time?

In other words, do I do the three full breaths to begin, then the breath percentage sequence, then the three full closing breaths only once?