everseeking

Microcosmic Orbit

You received some good responses. I just want to share something from my own experiences.

I had no trainging about MCO, kundalini, internal cultivation, meditation, yoga etc. when my Kundalini activated. In the process of going through that my MCO was activated plus many other orbits in my body.

What happened energetically in my body does not always mirror what I have since read in other books or traditions. What I think that might mean is the body wants to have the MCO open for better health. Whether serendipity or synchronicity play apart (in the untrained) I think it is a result of natural body wisdom if the body is supported in its wisdom.

In other words, if the body likes it and it is a natural part of being a healthy, happy individual I think it will happen. I can only imagine that no one taught the animals or trees or planets how to open the MCO and other orbits but it runs naturally. I think the question is why isn't it just naturally active in all human beings?

s

I could swear I read somewhere that the MCO IS naturally active in everyone but that it remains below the level of perception until it is cultivated.

So does practicing Zen-style shikantaza have the energizing effect to build a sufficietly large energy reserve in your dantien?

I think this question gets to the heart of the controversy regarding what was lost when Chinese Buddhism came to Japan. There are stories of Japanese zen meditators having to travel to China in order to be healed by Taoist physicians. The physical dimension of Taoist cultivation came up short in Buddhist Japan, where it became an intensely cerebral practice. I have heard that the Shaolin tradition did not let this happen, but I can't trust my memory.

Taomeow probably knows the history like the back of her hand.

I practiced Soto school "wall-gazing" for about a decade before making the Great Leap Forward into Taoism, and during that time I never got a palpable sense of any energy movement in my tantien, even though, as you know, we are supposed to sit with our hands clasped against our "hara." I guess I'm just too "Chinese" or too "Indian"; changing my mind using my mind calls for more superpowers than I can muster. Changing my mind using my body is a far more practical approach, and has given me greater mindfulness than many years of zen or TM.

I practiced Soto school "wall-gazing" for about a decade before making the Great Leap Forward into Taoism, and during that time I never got a palpable sense of any energy movement in my tantien, even though, as you know, we are supposed to sit with our hands clasped against our "hara." I guess I'm just too "Chinese" or too "Indian"; changing my mind using my mind calls for more superpowers than I can muster. Changing my mind using my body is a far more practical approach, and has given me greater mindfulness than many years of zen or TM.

Blasto,

Given your progress with the daoist practices, I think the wall gazing time wasn't wasted.

I think this question gets to the heart of the controversy regarding what was lost when Chinese Buddhism came to Japan. There are stories of Japanese zen meditators having to travel to China in order to be healed by Taoist physicians. The physical dimension of Taoist cultivation came up short in Buddhist Japan, where it became an intensely cerebral practice. I have heard that the Shaolin tradition did not let this happen, but I can't trust my memory.

Taomeow probably knows the history like the back of her hand.

Ah I see, very interesting (strokes scholarly beard). But seriously, I studied/practiced the Japanese Zen tradition for a bit and it always seemed they practiced different alchemical rituals, without really seeming to know what they were for (eg. the cosmic mudra, concentrating on hara/abdomen while counting breaths). Either a lot was lost in transit as you allude to or perhaps a lot of the knowledge was abolished/forgotten/confiscated during the Meiji Era centralized government take over/westernization.

Ah I see, very interesting (strokes scholarly beard). But seriously, I studied/practiced the Japanese Zen tradition for a bit and it always seemed they practiced different alchemical rituals, without really seeming to know what they were for (eg. the cosmic mudra, concentrating on hara/abdomen while counting breaths). Either a lot was lost in transit as you allude to or perhaps a lot of the knowledge was abolished/forgotten/confiscated during the Meiji Era centralized government take over/westernization.

I'm not the unimpeachable source, of course. I became an expert on counting to one, nothing more.

I'm not the unimpeachable source, of course. I became an expert on counting to one, nothing more.

It's ok. I was a bit harsh on Zen anyways. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

Edited by The Observer

I don't care who says what about the small universe.. I left it out of my practice for one week and did emptiness instead.. Result: most disturbing stirring of Jing.

After half an hour of small universe I feel cool and calm. I do it to Chunyi Lin's CD.. it's pricelessly functional.

I will be visiting Master Alex Wong next week for 6 days.

Ahmed - cool! - let me know how you get on. I'm always interested in 'spontaneous' practices, and would like to meet with Master Wong.

:)