markern

Building muscles in a cultivation kind of way

I feel you on this man, and I have to say.... bodyweight exercises are where it's at. Gymnasts have incredible bodies and 95% of the work they do is purely bodyweight... It's all about decreasing leverage, which increases the weight you put on your targeted muscles.
Apparently, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga is where it's at!

YY07rj9oKRQ

...and he sticks the landing into full-lotus, too!

jFF0YZ6BOdg

Ok, turning that last bridge into a f'n loop...hollyyyy! :blink:

Edited by vortex

Apparently, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga is where it's at!

YY07rj9oKRQ

...and he sticks the landing into full-lotus, too!

jFF0YZ6BOdg

Ok, turning that last bridge into a f'n loop...hollyyyy! :blink:

yeah ashtanga yoga is where it's at.

BUT I believe that gymnastics is a faster way to build abilities (like handstands and planche) and full body strength. Ashtanga is definitely better though, artistically, spiritually, and overall benefit.

Edited by Old Man Contradiction

Hm yeah Appearently flexibility is very good for all types of asanas - Makes them much much easier therefore making those muscles stronger where they need to be..

Honestly im not a muscle mass type of guy.. Dense.. also I train in qi gong after.. meditation before and after..

So lots of reps ect.. And im getting into running.. Also weight lifting in my opinion is great! As long as you add isometrics.. With the kinda've weight your lifting.. Thats where it REALLY gets interesting... Only problem I barely see anyone these days doing that.. Basically just like working with body weight it makes you mobile with the weight you can lift.

You might want to look into an early 1900s system called Strongfortism (after Lionel Strongfort). It combined bodyweight exercises with light weights:

Strongfortism for the Martial Artist

Strongfort's courses from the Sandow Plus website (This site has a lot of interesting old courses besides this, and another good one is the Maxalding site, which has the Maxick material).

A lot of the movements remind of things I've seen in yoga and qigong, with weights added.

Strongfort lived to be 92, for what's it worth.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Dainin

Can you guess what my suggestion would be :) ??

I practice at the least an hour of Circle Walking a day. If I had more time from my day I'd do more. This is a great exercise. But you may not have a bagua teacher near you.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Check out John Peterson, he is really into the mind/body connection when it comes to training, his methods are all equipment free that can be done anywhere that consists of calisthenics, visualized resistance, self resistance and Isometrics. A lot of what he teaches has roots in yoga and the esoteric traditions, basically you should approach exercise as a form of moving meditation..