yabyum24

Advice for Tai Chi needed.

I'm interested in taking up Tai Chi for health and the ability to direct energy around the body - which I witnessed at first hand many years ago. There are many styles out there. Does anyone here have any experience?

I'm not looking for just those slow exercises you see pensioner's doing, nor for a hard Kung Fu system. More something in between.

Which style would most match this?

Thanks

I'm interested in taking up Tai Chi for health and the ability to direct energy around the body - which I witnessed at first hand many years ago. There are many styles out there. Does anyone here have any experience?

I'm not looking for just those slow exercises you see pensioner's doing, nor for a hard Kung Fu system. More something in between.

Thanks

I study Yang style as it has come down through Cheng Man Ching to T.T. Liang. Any good system of Taiji will be as you say "in between".

I personally find the stances in Chen to be a bit too low and thus hard on the knees in the long-term. But as I understand it, one of the common themes in any style of Taiji is the slow movements. Do not at all under-estimate the effectiveness of a style just because the movements of the form are slow.

The main thing, IMO, would be to look for a good teacher that has the whole system. Form, weapons, push-hands and chi kung. Lineage is generally considered a good thing as well, but not required for a quality teacher.

You might also look into Liu Ho Ba Fa. 6 Harmonies/8 Methods system is another terrifically effective internal style that would have what you are looking.

Thanks

If you let us know where you lived, the Taobums here may be able to point you to a good teacher close to you to get started.

IMHO, directing energy is just really down to the level of concentration. Plus, what is the rationale for you to want to direct energy around your body. If you let us know the purpose, someone here may point you in the right direction.

mouse

Chen style...

Sounds exactly like what you want. It's soft, but had parts in the forms with strong Fajin and seemingly external movements.

Check it out on youtube, it's a beautiful form.

Thanks for the replies. I've had a look around my area at the clubs I could easily reach and I've got a sort of shortlist. Perhaps if you could have a look and give an opinion?

I don't know anything about this chap but I vaguely recall getting some recommendation at some point:

http://www.cottinghamtimes.co.uk/health-&a...dy-Tai-Chi.html

I went along to one of these sessions a while ago but it was more a solid Kung Fu style:

http://www.hulltaichi.co.uk/

Another, but no idea:

http://www.eastyorkshireewta.co.uk/

Apparently some classes in my area:

http://sunstyle-taichi.co.uk/

A lady:

http://www.lfataichi.com/

Apart from those, I'm located in E.Yorks near Hull, so if by chance you know...

I feel the energy work would compliment my meditation, thus the interest.

Thanks

My advice is do it. Find a teacher who can do what you want to learn, and make sure that at least some the students of the teacher can do this too.

Beware teachers whose students never seem to excel the teacher in skill. A sign of a good teacher and system is that each generation improves in skill over the last.

My other advice is dedicate yourself to it, you will get out of it what you put into it.

There are many style of taiji, most are great if you practice diligently.

Most are worthless if you do not practice diligently.

It must be a lifestyle, not a hobby.

avoid purely soft tai chi classes. If your goal is to reach the point to where you are working with your energy in a very very conscious way, than your best bet to identify a good teacher is one who teaches you to 'stand'(zhan zhaung) for 20 minutes at bare minimum, and who obviously embraces sung-gunn, not just sung.

Hi there

All taiji styles in the end focus on moving the energy round the body, the question is more about the teacher than the style of taiji

Of course taiji styles have there own things going on as well, i fnd that becasue of the very soft nature of Yang style it attracts many people who are just wanting to move slowly without any intention

one of the most important things for what you are looking for is the standing ost exercise, the the teacher doesn't do this for a time in the class and can't link the exercise to the forms then you need to change teacher.

My advice is to go along to the classes you mentioned and watch what is happening during the session

don;t expect the teacher to go really deep in to to chi and energy with beginning students, again if he does then you might be in the worong place

good luck with you search

Old Man Contradiction has it right.

Taiji is nothing without Wuji training. If a teacher only does forms and no standing students will not progress very well (IMO)... Real results comes with 1 to 2 hours of standing a day. Then practice form, applications, etc.

The Taiji teacher, IMO, should be well rounded in that respect.

Many thanks for the discussion and replies. Though much of the terminology is completely unknown to me, I used to do Karate many years ago so one or two ideas are semi-familiar.

I'm just keen to avoid either a "mood-music" class with a group of sweet old ladies, or being holed up with a bunch of muscle-pumping kick-ass Bruce Lee wannabees. Not that I've got anything against either of those, it's just that I wouldn't fit in at all if you know what I mean.

I guess, I should go along and observe as many classes as I can, then choose which feels the best. Reading your posts has made me Google around and that's not a bad thing. If I get a general idea of the subject.

Hello yabyum24,

you say you witnessed some one directing energy around the body,what exactly did you see,if you don't mind my asking.

many thank's

sabretooth.

Hello yabyum24,

you say you witnessed some one directing energy around the body,what exactly did you see,if you don't mind my asking.

many thank's

sabretooth.

I was about 21 years old at the time and had been practicing Karate for a few years. I was in peak fitness, working out etc. Out of interest I went along to a Tai Chi class and did a session of their movements, very soft, easy and zero challenge for me, as a fit young man. The instructor told me not to be too shocked if I felt stiff the next day.

I must admit I smirked to myself as I left, as most of the guys doing it looked quite puny and I had honestly not even broken a sweat.

The next morning I could hardly get out of bed, I was so stiff.

I went once more and asked the instructor about Chi. We had been learning arm locks - the kind police use which can easily snap a man's arm. He told me to put him in one and push as hard as I wished. Bear in mind I was much bigger than this guy and I bench pressed some respectable weights back then. He said he would direct his Chi into his arm.

I had no wish to harm him so I didn't press too hard but even with this amount a normal person would have been in pain. He said to try harder, so I thought 'what the hell, the geek wants it' and I brought my whole strength to bear on his arm and wrist - nothing. Nothing at all. He was serene and completely still. I swear, there is no reason I could not have broken his arm with the combined force and the hold.

It freaked me out and I never went back. I guess I wasn't ready for that lesson. That was over 20 years ago.

I have never forgotten it and I regret now that I didn't stay. It was truly awesome and strange. I sensed I was in the presence of something I could not fathom and if I'm honest, it scared me.

Edited by yabyum24

Hello yabyum24,

thank you for your reply.In answer to your question on finding a good tai chi school you need to find an instructor that will teach coordinating deep abdominal breathing in with the form and at the same time to visualize the energy ( chi ) flowing around the body as you do the movements.

Your instructor will also explain the importance of remaining celebate in order to build up energy in the dan tia and as other's have said to do pole standing.

The instructor will also teach tai chi as a martial art.

Good luck with your search.

sabretooth.

I'm not sure if this is for real, but will post it here anyways:

V9fGiPSBUUA

To me, this is what I'd like to see from a taiji teacher who can supposedly work with qi. Real manipulation and "energy" skill. I think this is something different entirely from the martial kind of practice, that most do.

Too much "needs to teach X Y Z" = never learning. Empty your cup and see what gets in there, you can always tip it out and try again :D

this is the best advice I've heard. Of course, if you start learning Tai Chi at the local senior citizen's class at the community center, and later you find a teacher that teaches you how to issue power..... just weigh your options.

this is the best advice I've heard. Of course, if you start learning Tai Chi at the local senior citizen's class at the community center, and later you find a teacher that teaches you how to issue power..... just weigh your options.

Yes, thanks. This is what I'll do. Keep an open mind and look around.

I know of a good group in the UK - The Chinese Kuo Shu Institute. They teach Shuai Jiao (Chinese wrestling), Kuo Shu (Kung Fu), and Chen Pan Ling Tai Ji Quan. Chen Pan Ling was a very famous martial artist in Taiwan after the revolution who synthesized his own form using elements of Yang, Wu, and Chen styles. The school is run by Shi Fu Rob Simpson - he's an excellent teacher and very accomplished martial artist. Here's a link to his site - http://www.kuoshu.co.uk/Index.html

Here are two other links that might be helpful in terms of finding a school in the UK:

http://www.taichiunion.com/index.php

http://www.bccma.com/index.asp

Ultimately, I think the best way to choose the right program and teacher is to visit several, take a look at what they do and what their students are like. Talk to the teacher and students a bit and see where you fit in the best. And don't make the mistake of evaluating a school or style of Tai Ji Quan based solely on the form. If that's all you want to learn, it's appropriate to do so. If you are interested in learning the martial art, rather than just the form, there's much more involved than just practicing the form (meditation, strength training methods, two person training methods, Qi Gong, Nei Gong, etc..). Some of these other training methods are very physical, whether it be Yang, Wu, Chen, Chen Pan Ling, or other styles. Unfortunately, very few programs offer comprehensive martial training in Tai Ji Quan.

Good luck in your search, it's worth the effort!

Old Man Contradiction has it right.

Taiji is nothing without Wuji training. If a teacher only does forms and no standing students will not progress very well (IMO)... Real results comes with 1 to 2 hours of standing a day. Then practice form, applications, etc.

The Taiji teacher, IMO, should be well rounded in that respect.

Yeah, if you want to actually learn internal martial arts, you must stand at least an hour a day(around 40 minutes for health). Otherwise your just slow dancing, imo. I have never met anyone who has an ounce of skill that doesnt stand. Its hard when beginning internal martial arts to know which teachers are proficient and which are not. Usually beginners judge teachers on meaningless feats, or they think their forms look pretty. And if thats all you want to do is look good and get out of the house maybe, or you enjoy the cardiovascular benefits, then thats all you need is someone who has learned by watching videos or practiced for 5 years and are teachers, like over half the teachers in usa. I would heed old man and baguakids advice. No standing, no adjustments from the teacher(and you should be getting plenty of adjustments that put you in some pain) then best to keep searching.

I dont know how, as a teacher, one could teach a class and not give personal adjustments unless they dont understand it themselves, or they just want to keep you in the dark. Internal is very elusive to the uninitiated. I was giving some adjustments to some guy last night who had been practicing chen style for 8 years... he didnt have an ounce of skill when i pushed with him. I worked through some tensions in his arm, got him into one of his chen postures and he was eating some pain, i wish i had a camera, he looked great. He told me afterwards, "i have been studying for so long... i would have never understood what internal was without the adjustments you just gave me." he told me he never received adjustments from his teacher. I told him "that must be why your form is so bad". He wasnt offended, and we had a good time.

If you want to learn to dance why not take a dance class? This is what i tell my prospective students (i use that term loosely, in Wujifa we are all considered school brothers).