Foundit

Do you really want it?

I think I'm far enough away from it that I can't possible answer the question. I tend to not worry about "the E word" too much, since I figure that in the fullness of time, in this lifetime or another (probably another :P ) it will happen anyway. I'd rather focus on just making sure I'm getting some steady momentum going - growing every day and getting closer to reaching my full potential and living the best possible version of life that I could live.

• Like 4

What's the plan now Foundit? What will happen when you die?

Do we not die every day?  Some would say every moment. 

We go into sleep.  The body leaves the physical plane, transitioning into the world of dreams.  Then goes back and forth between dream world and deep sleep.  In deep sleep one does not seem to exist.  Then we come back to our physical body after alternating  between the dream world and deep sleep.

They talk about a 4th state, where in one is aware of all the other 3 states.  I have no clue what this is.  Except, sometimes during the dream state, I feel I know that I am dreaming.  When I die from one state and enter the other, I simply die and do not exist on that state.  Then I am born into the next alternating state.  Then I die on that state.  This cycle seems to repeat in what is perceived as every single day to me.  One day we leave this perceived body and its states and perhaps enter into another state, generally termed as THE death.  This all seem like similar transitions to me.

We can argue that during sleep the rest of the world sees the person sleeping, his heart is beating, he is breathing etc.  These are all immaterial.  To the person sleeping, during sleep, his body or the people observing do not exist.  Period. 

Edited by Cauvery

Do we not die every day?  Some would say every moment. 

We go into sleep.  The body leaves the physical plane, transitioning into the world of dreams.  Then goes back and forth between dream world and deep sleep.  In deep sleep one does not seem to exist.  Then we come back to our physical body after alternating  between the dream world and deep sleep.  This happens in what is perceived as every single day to me.

They talk about a 4th state, where in one is aware of all the other 3 states.  I have no clue what this is.  Except, sometimes during the dream state, I feel I know that I am dreaming.  When I die from one state and enter the other, I simply die and do not exist on that state.

We can argue that during sleep the rest of the world sees the person sleeping, his heart is beating, he is breathing etc.  These are all immaterial.  To the person sleeping, during sleep, his body or the people observing do not exist.  Period. 

sometimes i get the feeling/awareness that I die a small death at the end of each out-breath, and with the slow, conscious drawing in of the in-breath, i am often filled with gratitude and amazement. Some day, there will only be the one final out-breath, and thats it... probably a new gob-smacking adventure awaits. 

Edited by C T
  • Like 6

sometimes i get the feeling/awareness that I die a small death at the end of each out-breath, and with the slow, conscious drawing in of the in-breath, i am often filled with gratitude and amazement. Some day, there will only be the one final out-breath, and thats it... probably a new gob-smacking adventure awaits. 

Funny.  You think of breath.  I can only think of sleep.  :lol:

Oh, what about those naps?   Lucky, I don't do them any more.  Don't have to die one more time during the day.

Epictetus:

Never call yourself a philosopher, nor talk a great deal among the unlearned about theorems, but act conformably to them. Thus, at an entertainment, don't talk how persons ought to eat, but eat as you ought. For remember that in this manner Socrates also universally avoided all ostentation. And when persons came to him and desired to be recommended by him to philosophers, he took and recommended them, so well did he bear being overlooked. So that if ever any talk should happen among the unlearned concerning philosophic theorems, be you, for the most part, silent. For there is great danger in immediately throwing out what you have not digested. And, if anyone tells you that you know nothing, and you are not nettled at it, then you may be sure that you have begun your business. For sheep don't throw up the grass to show the shepherds how much they have eaten; but, inwardly digesting their food, they outwardly produce wool and milk. Thus, therefore, do you likewise not show theorems to the unlearned, but the actions produced by them after they have been digested.

Thanks, thats a keeper!

Funny.  You think of breath.  I can only think of sleep.  :lol:

Oh, what about those naps?   Lucky, I don't do them any more.  Don't have to die one more time during the day.

It's you and Nasty Nas of Queensbridge, you're in good company.

... It drops deep, as it does in my breath

Plus i never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death,

Beyond the walls of intelligence life is defined ...

;)

• Like 1

For that reason I led with the question asking if people really wanted it.

No matter how long you've been seeking - would you be willing to start all over again for a chance to find out what enlightenment really is - not what you just assume it is?

What ever you are expreincing right now is all you need to begin. Nothing else.

If you are already enlightened, then the question of 'wanting it' is moot. For everyone else, how can they know what it is they ask for (want)? In a sense to 'want it' is a matter of blind faith.

I know several others who are somewhat awakened (short of full enlightenment), none of them sought awakening, they just ended up there as a byproduct of another aspirations.

I don't want enlightenment per se, though by some definitions I already am. I don't see it gets me anything i desire or value. To whatever degree I am awake/enlightened, it is a byproduct of actually wanting to 'know' that which 'is'. I can say its mostly the pain of separation (from self) that drives the interest to know. Pretty much there is an implicit assumption that knowing the source of the pain will allow me to address it.

It's you and Nasty Nas of Queensbridge, you're in good company.

... It drops deep, as it does in my breath

Plus i never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death,

Beyond the walls of intelligence life is defined ...

;)

"To die, to sleep;

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,

Must give us pause: there's the respect

That makes calamity of so long life"

The melancholy Dane...

(Act III, Scene 1)

Edited by Brian
  • Like 3

"To die, to sleep;To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;For in that sleep of death what dreams may comeWhen we have shuffled off this mortal coil,Must give us pause: there's the respectThat makes calamity of so long life"The melancholy Dane...(Act III, Scene 1)

Hark! Awaken!

Dive and emerge from sinister pasture; an owl, his eyes glistening

Red hair flurries and hissing voice in the dark, spear a-shaken!

Cut air like lightning, thunders own teeth

Who could match such meter on the cousin of sleep?

This vagrant had best nap lest he,

forever loose his dreams.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth