32 replies to this topic

#17 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

yeah, that's basically the standard ymaa intro, there's something similar in all of them, for the most part.

#18 NeiChuan

NeiChuan

Posthumus

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1459 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

I just ordered the book.. Was deciding between this and CK.Chu's book of nei kung for awhile.

This is a good choice im sure ^_^
" To truly try is to give all you have, when you have nothing left."

#19 3L3VAT3

3L3VAT3

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:35 AM

anybody peeped the dvd?

I have some of his books, seem pretty good... thinking about getting some of the dvd's as well...
[color=#FF0000]Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation

#20 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9312 posts
  • Interests:bai hao oolong

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

I have the small circulation DVD. It's alright. I wouldn't skip the embryonic breathing book.
Tara's Triple Excellence Buddhist program

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#21 Mal

Mal

supererogate

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6416 posts
  • Interests:Tai Chi & Tong Long

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

At the moment this appears to be the most usefull Taoist book I've ever owned There is a lot of INFORMATION here. A sincere thank you to all for the recommendations.

Since Dr Yang Jwing-Min is rather prolific (turns out I've read some of his other books) my question is what is the next step?

He refers to building up and storing Qi with embryonic breathing, learning small circulation for Muscle/tendon changing, then Grand circulation for Marrow/Brain washing. (sort of hard to summarise without loosing the specifics) So I guess the next step is his "Qigong, The Secret of Youth" as Da Mo's Muscle/Tendon Changing and Marrow/Brain Washing Classic is... well..... a classic :lol: but being published in 2000 I can't help but wonder if 2006's Qigong Meditation: Small Circulation is an "update" with perhaps a Qigong Meditation: Grand Circulation to follow at some time.

Practically I wouldn't recommend jumping quickly through this stuff. A strong foundation is important and takes time to build. It was really helpful when Dr Yang pointed out that different schools have placed different emphasis on various steps of the process. That helps explain a lot of the confusion out there. And Dr Yang's steps and explanations follow what I was taught in KAP (I'm guessing most systems would/should be similar)
KAP

bye for now
Mal - artmgs@yahoo.com
You are not what you think you are. But what you think... you are.
"Don't think.....feel" Bruce Lee | "Feel.....don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

#22 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9312 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

His version of MCO is kind of interesting and different...there's a lot of back and forth clearing the channels, versus going in just one direction. I haven't tried it that way.

I haven't seen the small universe book, but I'd recommend it over the DVD anyway. His books rock.

I think it's okay to push it a little bit in training. In his DVD, he says that in the past he focused a lot on natural breathing because it was recommended as the safe foundation, but now he teaches all of his students reverse breathing right away, because it helps so much. So, it's possible to be overly cautious when you could really be making a lot of progress instead. It's enough to know that natural breathing is there as a safety to balance you out, is the impression I got from the SU dvd.

"Motivation is the key; discipline is the key; teamwork is the key" = basic training pushup mantras.

#23 TheSongsofDistantEarth

TheSongsofDistantEarth

Taoistic Traveller

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1883 posts
  • Interests:Zhan Zhuang, Consciousness, Energy, Healing, Desrt Southwest

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

Several people whose breathing accomplishment I respect have highly recommended this book. I've taken it out of my closet and dusted it off, look fwd to reading it bit by bit as I have the time.

it's an interesting thing when a book of this much importance and value ends up dusty in a closet. We all seem to be prone to the next book, the next practice, and pass on over the treasure repeatedly. Ah, but at least it gets resurrected and dusted off and the treasure recovered. I did the same thing with this book.

#24 idquest

idquest

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

The book is good but I'm not sure I would be able to actually practice from it. It is lacking clarity on practical stuff. A good example of a clear step by step practice manual could be Qigong Empowerment by S.Y. Liang. Unfortunately can't say the same thing about EB. But theory is good.

#25 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:17 AM

Since Dr Yang Jwing-Min is rather prolific (turns out I've read some of his other books) my question is what is the next step?

He refers to building up and storing Qi with embryonic breathing, learning small circulation for Muscle/tendon changing, then Grand circulation for Marrow/Brain washing. (sort of hard to summarise without loosing the specifics) So I guess the next step is his "Qigong, The Secret of Youth" as Da Mo's Muscle/Tendon Changing and Marrow/Brain Washing Classic is... well..... a classic :lol: but being published in 2000 I can't help but wonder if 2006's Qigong Meditation: Small Circulation is an "update" with perhaps a Qigong Meditation: Grand Circulation to follow at some time.

What's next? Make use of the wonderfully enhanced tool you've honed, cultivate diligently and your body gets set into a rhythm, the practice carries on when you are just sitting there, or sleeping...setting the conditions for enlightenment, fully aware at all times. Dr Yang is a martial artist and engineer, so a lot of the way he writes is geared towards "real world application."

The book is good but I'm not sure I would be able to actually practice from it. It is lacking clarity on practical stuff. A good example of a clear step by step practice manual could be Qigong Empowerment by S.Y. Liang. Unfortunately can't say the same thing about EB. But theory is good.

What do you want, a spreadsheet? :lol: These are guidelines to proper practice, I'm curious of why you'd say its lacking on practical stuff. Of course there are many things I've learned from practicing the method that arent in the book, but the book in its context is decently comprehensive, imho.

#26 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:21 AM

Actually I have both the Embryonic Breathing and the Small Circulation DVDs, both of which I've already watched and am unlikely to watch again anytime soon. As such, I should probably offer them up as Taobums Lending Library material. PM me if interested, I just ask that you return the material or pass it on to another forum member. :)

#27 Aetherous

Aetherous

only a student

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 9312 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

What was it lacking clarity on? Any specific thing you're wondering?

#28 idquest

idquest

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

I just read an introduction to Small Circulation and as I understood Jwing-Ming Yang wasn't taught it from a master but rather deducted himself from written sources. He did receive teaching for taiji and wild goose qigong from masters though.

Can anybody confirm I interpret his words correctly? And what about the embrionic breathing, was he taught the methods or deducted them from the books?

#29 dawei

dawei

Dao Bum

• Admin
  • Pip
  • 8677 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

What was it lacking clarity on? Any specific thing you're wondering?

To me, most of his Qigong books (writing style) seems to be a little more like a collection of information than an organized 'how to'. I have five of his books and tend to refer to them in order:
1. Chi Kung: Health and Martial Arts
2. Chinese Qigong Massage
3. The Root of Chinese Qigong
4. The Essence of Tai Chi Chi Kung : Health and Martial Arts
5. Embryonic Breathing

If I could only have one, it may be The Root of Chinese Qigong as a good, broad informational book; but the first one is the smallest but I think his best if one wants more like practice material (the fourth is also good for some forms). Each has something in it I really like. The EB book has the various translations which I like.

#30 Trunk

Trunk

John Dao Productions

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4779 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:07 PM

embryonic poetry, umbilical remembrances

(in the womb, umbilical pumping)
back when
the kidneys
were the grateful heart
and
the heart
just rode along

(birth, umbilical separation)
the umbilicus
gasps, subsides
the lungs
shocked alive
  • rainbowvein and joeblast said thanks for this

#31 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7696 posts
  • Interests:Nature, elixirs, trees, herbs,flowers, weeds, harmony
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

http://ymaa.com/file...736sample_0.pdf
i am re-inspired about the 5 gates breathing.
what a remarkably cool book.
fascinating coverage

no edit

Edited by zerostao, 21 October 2012 - 05:26 PM.

live like an immortal
i am a brother to dragons and a companion of owls