#1 Fu_dog

Fu_dog

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:qigong, meditation, yoga

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

I am wondering if anyone else has practiced this system? Specifically, I am referring the the Chi Kung for Health Series by Sifu Terry Dunn.

I have been practicing qigong for about 7 years now. I have dabbled in a number of styles of qigong, but mostly have stuck to the basics.

I tried the Flying Phoenix system about 2 years ago, and for some reason the breathing sequence just didn't feel right for me. So, I discontinued.

However, about 6 weeks ago, I scheduled a private conversation with Sifu Dunn to discuss the system. I was prepared with a number of questions. The conversation cleared a few things up that I was not quite clear on regarding the practice. Sifu Dunn was very informative and displayed genuine enthusiasm for this style of qigong, BTW.

Then, I gave this system another try. It rocks! I hesitate to discuss a Qigong system I have only practiced for 6 weeks, however, I think this is worth a post. Also, I have an 7 year frame of reference.

Flying Phoenix is seriously the most powerful qigong I have practiced. For me, it generates so much qi, that I have to limit how much I do per day, as my body is still getting used to the amount of energy created with this practice.

The secret sauce here is the breathing sequences to begin each exercise. Master Dunn told me he had to get permission from his master to teach these methods. The breathing, followed by the movements of the system have provided quite astounding effects for me.

So, I am throwing this out to see if anyone else has experience with this system. If yes, I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks...
  • OldWolf, zen-bear and New2Qigong said thanks for this

#2 Dainin

Dainin

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3176 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:17 AM

I don't have experience with these forms, but would also be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with Sifu Dunn's Tai Chi Ruler materials. Thank you.
"Do your practice and all is coming" Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

"My miracle is that when I feel hungry I eat, and when I feel thirsty I drink" Bankei

"In spring, hundreds of flowers; in autumn, a harvest moon; in summer,
a refreshing breeze; in winter, snow will accompany you. If useless things
do not hang in your mind, any season is a good season for you." Mu-Mon

#3 Baguakid

Baguakid

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

This is percentage breathing in Flying Phoenix, right? Didn't he learn this from Master Doo Wei?

#4 Trunk

Trunk

John Dao Productions

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4732 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

I got a tai chi video of his yrs & yrs ago and found it clear, well produced - great for learning tai chi if you're on you're own.
  • zen-bear and rldawson said thanks for this

#5 Spirit Ape

Spirit Ape

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

Yes, he learnt it from my teacher and friend Doo Wai, I have more levels of Fei Fung Sunn Gung I havent seen Terry Dunns productions but Doo Wai said they are good.

Most of the Bak Fu Pai meditations and Chi Kung has the breath percentage, this is secret part of BFP it empowers the movements as well the 3 beaths before and after coming out of meditation.

Ill be poducing this year Maste Doo Wai's Complete Burning Palm System if you are interesting which has visualizations, stiking bags forms, standin and seated moving meditations, Elemental power, healing, all with the secret beath percentage.

http://burningpalm.webs.com/index.html

Take care
Spirit Ape
  • zen-bear said thanks for this

#6 Baguakid

Baguakid

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hey Garry,

I learned a set with breathing percentages from a guy who got it from Jim Lacy. It's called "Five Elder Qigong for health and mental clarity" if I remember correctly. It's all seated exercises. I haven't practiced it for a long time though and have it written down. Do you know anything about this one?

Thanks,

#7 Spirit Ape

Spirit Ape

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi Mate,

No neve heard of it under that name but Jim Lacy does use the tem 5 Elders as his selling pitch, unless its part of another BFP chi kung system? Most if not all meditations brings mental clarity and health its the meds and chi kung that are specialty skills of White Tiger System that makes it so fascinating. Fei Fung Sunn Gung was a specialty skill of special healing powers and abilties but there are alot of levels in FFSG system.

Was the meds you learnt static with mudras and was there 18 in the series?

Ape

#8 Baguakid

Baguakid

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Hi Mate,

No neve heard of it under that name but Jim Lacy does use the tem 5 Elders as his selling pitch, unless its part of another BFP chi kung system? Most if not all meditations brings mental clarity and health its the meds and chi kung that are specialty skills of White Tiger System that makes it so fascinating. Fei Fung Sunn Gung was a specialty skill of special healing powers and abilties but there are alot of levels in FFSG system.

Was the meds you learnt static with mudras and was there 18 in the series?

Ape

As I recall they were all seated positions with different hand positions and breath percentages. There were no mudras in this one. I can tell you more when I get home and dig out the paperwork.

Thanks.

#9 Spirit Ape

Spirit Ape

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

Yes, hand positions some of these will have mudras if they are the ones im thinking if so its not part of Flying phoenix but to another white tiger Nei Gung system which is powerful. ;) That also depends what was taught and what was put on the tapes that your friend has.

Take care
Ape

#10 Baguakid

Baguakid

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:42 PM

Spirit, I sent an email to your gmail account. Thanks,

#11 Spirit Ape

Spirit Ape

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hi Bill,

Got it and sent you one back, those are very good meds you have!

#12 TheSongsofDistantEarth

TheSongsofDistantEarth

Taoistic Traveller

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1883 posts
  • Interests:Zhan Zhuang, Consciousness, Energy, Healing, Desrt Southwest

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

I am wondering if anyone else has practiced this system? Specifically, I am referring the the Chi Kung for Health Series by Sifu Terry Dunn.

I have been practicing qigong for about 7 years now. I have dabbled in a number of styles of qigong, but mostly have stuck to the basics.

I tried the Flying Phoenix system about 2 years ago, and for some reason the breathing sequence just didn't feel right for me. So, I discontinued.

However, about 6 weeks ago, I scheduled a private conversation with Sifu Dunn to discuss the system. I was prepared with a number of questions. The conversation cleared a few things up that I was not quite clear on regarding the practice. Sifu Dunn was very informative and displayed genuine enthusiasm for this style of qigong, BTW.

Then, I gave this system another try. It rocks! I hesitate to discuss a Qigong system I have only practiced for 6 weeks, however, I think this is worth a post. Also, I have an 7 year frame of reference.

Flying Phoenix is seriously the most powerful qigong I have practiced. For me, it generates so much qi, that I have to limit how much I do per day, as my body is still getting used to the amount of energy created with this practice.

The secret sauce here is the breathing sequences to begin each exercise. Master Dunn told me he had to get permission from his master to teach these methods. The breathing, followed by the movements of the system have provided quite astounding effects for me.

So, I am throwing this out to see if anyone else has experience with this system. If yes, I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks...

He he, 'secret sauce'... but a question. Can this qigong be learned with the 'sauce' from his source materials (dvd, or whatever), or does one need direct contact with Sifu Dunn to 'activate' it like you have?

#13 Spirit Ape

Spirit Ape

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

If Terry Dunn is teaching the breath percentage for the meditations then it is authentic BFP fei fung sunn gung, you have to learn to do the breath percentage correctly and learn the meditation and movements before you do it for real (with breath percentage).

Ape
  • zen-bear said thanks for this

#14 Baguakid

Baguakid

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

Spirit Ape,

Were the percentage breaths created by Master Doo Wai to adjust his style to the common man? I thought I saw somewhere, watched a Youtube from him about that. Can you confirm?

If so, what were the original breaths like? Breath retention?

Or, are the percentage breaths original?

Thanks,

#15 Spirit Ape

Spirit Ape

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1171 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hi BK,

The name breath percentage was created by Doo Wai that is correct and how to breath in a certain way using the % as a guide to fill the dan Tian/s or body depending on the meditation or Qi Kung you are training. Retention is in some BFP methods but only on certain things which Ill not mention here. There is some meds that use Om and other mantras too!

He learnt the breathing from his father by listening and watching his breath, but found it to difficult for people to learn o understand and added percentage breathing for students to undestand it better.

Hope this helps?

Spirit Ape

P.S G.M Doo Wai been training meditation, qi kung, kung fu from his father since 3 ys old! :)
  • OldWolf, zen-bear, ridingtheox and 1 other said thanks

#16 Baguakid

Baguakid

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hi Spirit Ape,

Yes, that helps. Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users