dwai

Tai Chi, Taoist Meditation and Psychosomatic issues

Yes, Stillness-Movement neigong can help with this as much as any other qigong or neigong system can.

In your experience, what things besides neigong might help this?

And what do you recommend a person do if they are feeling so foggy that they can't effectively do stillness movement practice?

Edited by Creation

And what do you recommend a person do if they are feeling so foggy that they can't effectively do stillness movement practice?

Possibly rebounding could help. Movement. Walking.

Dwai,

I have not taken the time to read the multitude of responses. However, I am sure many people here have offered sensible advice. In my opinion what you are experiencing can be described as the manifestations of nervous system purification; it is an inevitability of so-called spiritual practices. Be with your feelings. If it becomes too painful, do what is necessary to maintain stability. Go for a walk, a run, scream, hit something. Perhaps, you might also need to reduce your practice duration. You decide. Regarding Ego and the mental chatter of, "I should do this; or I should do that" - it is all nonsense. Rather, spiritual or psychological ideals/notions/concepts aren't entirely something to be adhered to or followed via will or mental rigidity. FUNDAMENTALLY, it is the outcome of true REALIZATION - period.

Take it easy,

Matt

The Trauma Release exercises in the other thread are quite good for grounding, I thought Taoist energetic exercises would be good for this sort of issue but it seems like they can overstimulate the shock energy in the nervous system, which can cause a negative reaction

The Trauma Release exercises in the other thread are quite good for grounding, I thought Taoist energetic exercises would be good for this sort of issue but it seems like they can overstimulate the shock energy in the nervous system, which can cause a negative reaction

Are you referring to a "mental fog" issue?

I am not sure what you mean by shock energy of the nervous system, but what I have found is that the Taoist Neigong tends to balance out the neuro system.

If someone has mental issues it could be that no qigong or neigong is going to help. I tend to talk about the movements more for a person to do if they have mental issues. I have never seen the Gift of the Tao neigong movements aggravate the nervous system.

Nervous system? You mean unobstructed Qi flow along the meridians and correct balance of the five elements in the internal organs. TCM doesn't view the nervous system as such only tension resulting from the lack of correct energy flow within the body along those elemental energies (yin and yang interaction leading to 5E). That tension creates what Western Medicine calls "mental disorders." The nervous system would be the yang aspect of the meridian system and all of the tiny connections that it generates via the auric field.

Are you referring to a "mental fog" issue?

I am not sure what you mean by shock energy of the nervous system, but what I have found is that the Taoist Neigong tends to balance out the neuro system.

If someone has mental issues it could be that no qigong or neigong is going to help. I tend to talk about the movements more for a person to do if they have mental issues. I have never seen the Gift of the Tao neigong movements aggravate the nervous system.

It seems like to me that the mental fog is caused by nervous system overload and there is a sharp energy in my body, for example I sometimes get a shock by simple things like a sudden hand movement or even someone saying my name unexpectedly seems to activate this energy or shock and my body jolts. I did Stillness Movement meditation last night from the book and the energy was shooting around as fast as lightning causing my head and neck to twitch around, it feels like a loose wire of electrify just firing off in my body, stillness movement feels better than many other qigong/neigong I have tried as it's not forcing anything to go anywhere so it's not violent but still it seems to charge this energy and nerves which can cause a negative reaction.

It seems like to me that the mental fog is caused by nervous system overload and there is a sharp energy in my body, for example I sometimes get a shock by simple things like a sudden hand movement or even someone saying my name unexpectedly seems to activate this energy or shock and my body jolts. I did Stillness Movement meditation last night from the book and the energy was shooting around as fast as lightning causing my head and neck to twitch around, it feels like a loose wire of electrify just firing off in my body, stillness movement feels better than many other qigong/neigong I have tried as it's not forcing anything to go anywhere so it's not violent but still it seems to charge this energy and nerves which can cause a negative reaction.

The movements you describe are normal.

I think that you should consider adding the Gift of Tao movements for balance. Did you do the full closure of the Stillness-Movement system? Over time, this will help open all the channels that are blocked.

Also, you may want to go outside a couple of times a day and put your palms on the Earth for a few minutes. Also "walk me out in the morning dew" qigong by skimming the grass with your bare feet.

If you feel the Stillness-Movement is causing a negative reaction neurologically then you should not do it and look to professional help. Medical qigong, done by a qualified professional, shiatsu, or other bodywork can often assist the body. If it is a medical condition then see a qualified physician.

One thing that a person could try is just the "closing" part of the Stillness-Movement for a few weeks. It can be a good qigong in itself for helping to open up channels and remove stuck qi.

The movements you describe are normal.

I think that you should consider adding the Gift of Tao movements for balance. Did you do the full closure of the Stillness-Movement system? Over time, this will help open all the channels that are blocked.

Also, you may want to go outside a couple of times a day and put your palms on the Earth for a few minutes. Also "walk me out in the morning dew" qigong by skimming the grass with your bare feet.

If you feel the Stillness-Movement is causing a negative reaction neurologically then you should not do it and look to professional help. Medical qigong, done by a qualified professional, shiatsu, or other bodywork can often assist the body. If it is a medical condition then see a qualified physician.

One thing that a person could try is just the "closing" part of the Stillness-Movement for a few weeks. It can be a good qigong in itself for helping to open up channels and remove stuck qi.

Thanks for the tips, I didn't do the full closing in it's entirety yesterday perhaps I will try doing it on it's own for a few weeks and report back. I have been trying to do grounding and bought one of those grounding straps to connect to the earth point in the plug but it seemed to make my sleep worse for some reason, but nothing beats physically touching nature for grounding.

I have never seen the Gift of the Tao neigong movements aggravate the nervous system.

Just yesterday, I started doing the first move of gift of the tao and found myself screaming "NO!" at the top of my lungs. I probably scared the neighbors. That kind of thing is not unusual for me.

If someone has mental issues it could be that no qigong or neigong is going to help.

Well shit Michael, that is discouraging.

Thanks for the tips, I didn't do the full closing in it's entirety yesterday perhaps I will try doing it on it's own for a few weeks and report back. I have been trying to do grounding and bought one of those grounding straps to connect to the earth point in the plug but it seemed to make my sleep worse for some reason, but nothing beats physically touching nature for grounding.

Never do the Stillness-Movement without doing the closing part. It is an inherent part of the system.

If someone has mental issues it could be that no qigong or neigong is going to help.

I think that is true, of course each person is unique but psychological issues can be very complex and in my experience there can be issues like secondary gain involved in many of them where you simply don't want to let go of them for whatever reason so even the most powerful qigong in the world wouldn't shift it. Or if you are using Qigong to try to get rid of part of you out of non acceptance then that will only stress you out even more and could even make you more sick. I did Qigong from a place of self hatred for many years and it only made things worse as I was trying to force change myself, but I think you only change when you allow things and accept something by letting go of your resistance to it, then change occurs naturally.

Edited by Jetsun

Just yesterday, I started doing the first move of gift of the tao and found myself screaming "NO!" at the top of my lungs. I probably scared the neighbors. That kind of thing is not unusual for me.

Your screaming "NO" at the top of your lungs had nothing to do with the Gift of the Tao movements and everything to do with your mental state at the moment.

I still suggest rebounding, walking, running, and even mild weight lifting. Perhaps one of those highly physical progressive dance classes would be something to look at. A lot of people have had mental relief with intense exercise.

There is nothing wrong with seeking professional help from a physician. Millions of people do and most actually do get benefit.

Qigong and neigong, of ANY kind, is not a one-pill-cures-all solution. We would wish it were so as these practices HAVE helped millions all over the world.

No situation is hopeless, though it sounds like you could use some help outside of yourself.

Edited by Empty_Water

No situation is hopeless, though it sounds like you could use some help outside of yourself.

Exactly.

Creation,

I wasn't trying to imply that your situation is hopeless. Things can always change. And I have seen stupendously amazing mind-boggling recoveries with these practices. I am just saying sometimes we need a little help and that there ARE things that can help you whereas the practice of qigong alone may not be enough (right now). It is ALWAYS possible that over time it could be.

Hang in there!

What's going on? I'm almost convinced form experience that whatever happens with this qi-gong stuff is just one thing less to be concerned about. I'd suggest a practice area where you won't have to give a crap about neighbours. But you sound concerned about the 'manifestations' (for want of a better word) of practice (I guess depends on what you're doing).

IME, before I 'found' practices, I spent a few months dancing pretty much every evening...just had to. Then with the KAP stuff there was a fairly long period of weird. I refer to it as "shit hitting the fan" and I wouldn't categorize it as 'mental illness' (although I'm sure some people who were used to me prior probably figured I'd lost it... I didn't let them see me dancing though :) )

I guess we could get back to the "why do practices" question. I know some people don't like it, but in hindsight, I think it's worth getting into. And this is why I appreciate the detail. So for example if I know that holding my breath increases CO2 and that leads to XYZ auditory effects, then I might do that less. But I think in some cases, the only way to know what it does for you is to be mindful.

I guess which is why one might suggest coming to "spontaneous" practices after forms?

Or learning "safety" measures if you ever find yourself in a pickle? Belly breathing, mindfulness, compassion for self...