GrandTrinity

Everyone post some favorite quotes!

On 2/15/2019 at 12:57 PM, liminal_luke said:

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Winston Churchill

you remind me of one of my favorite exchanges between Churchill and Lady Astor:

Lady Nancy Astor:
"Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee."
Winston Churchill:
"Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."

• Haha 3

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without one.- very old Chinese proverb

• Like 2

Silence is a true friend who never betrays.-- Confucius

• Like 1

The only folks who don't thoroughly enjoy saying,  "I told you so.." 

are those who never have anything to tell us. 

• Like 1

"Certitude is seized by some minds, not because there is any philosophical justification for it, but because such minds have an emotional need for certitude."

"My own opinion is that belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence."

Robert Anton Wilson

• Like 1

How many times... have you encountered the saying, 'When the student is ready, the Master speaks?' Do you know why that is true? The door opens inward. The Master is everywhere, but the student has to open his mind to hear the Masters Voice.

Robert Anton Wilson

• Like 2

We must beware of the word real which, when we us it, simply corresponds to an idea that we ourselves develop, to a manner of understanding which is peculiar to us or which we have adopted on the suggestion of others.  In any case, no experimenting can put us in touch with Absolute Reality for it is with his senses that the experiementer perceives the progression of the experiment he carries out, and its results; now his senses, as has just been explained, only gives him various series of sensations which he interpretes in his own way.  It is probable that this way of understanding is always very different from the reality.  ~ Alexandra David-Neel and Lama Yongden (pg 25): The Secret Oral Teachings In Tibetan Buddhist Sects

All that we "know" is what registers on our brains, so what you perceive (your individual reality-tunnel) is made up of nothing but thoughts"as Sir Humphrey Davy noted when self-experimenting with nitrous oxide in 1819, and as Buddha noticed by sitting alone until all his social imprints atrophied and dropped away. ~ Robert Anton Wilson

Intriguing how these observations mirror each other, one from a sixties counter-culturist and the other steeped in the deepest oral traditions of Tibetan Buddhist realization.

Edited by silent thunder
added my opinion
  • Like 1

"If you want to be a more spiritual person, you don't achieve that by doing MORE of whatever activity you consider spiritual. If you want to be more spiritual, expand the definition of what you call spiritual, to include more of the activities you do in a day." -Wu De (Global tea hut)

• Like 5

I love this one ;):

"Let God kill him who himself does not know and yet presumes to show others the way to the doors of His Kingdom."

By the same author ( Gurdjieff):

"If you wish to succeed in anything then ask a woman for advice and do the opposite"

Edited by Toni

Physical science will not console me for the ignorance of morality in the time of affliction. But the science of ethics will always console me for the ignorance of the physical sciences. (Pascal)

I am much afraid that nature is itself only a first custom, as custom is a second nature. (Pascal)

"Death isn’t only about the destruction of the body. Sometimes, just like that, you extinguish one self and another is born. But every birth is violent and there’s no death without pain."

"What we believe shapes who we are. Belief can bring us salvation or destruction. But when you believe a lie for too long, the truth doesn’t set you free. It tears you apart."

"Finding truth is more than a search for data. It’s an excavation of self. You have to keep going, no matter where it takes you. Because nothing can stay hidden forever."

"When everyone lies, telling the truth isn’t just rebellion. It’s an act of revolution. So think carefully when you speak it, because the truth is a weapon."

"The moments of peace that we find sometimes, they aren’t anything but warfare, thinly disguised. And sometimes, surrender can be as savage as any attack."

"Peace is an illusion. And no matter how tranquil the world seems, peace doesn’t last long. Peace is a struggle against our very nature. A skin we stretch over the bone, muscle, and sinew of our own innate savagery."

~Takeshi Kovacs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The children of tomorrow, wear their dreams until they are born."  ~ My Father thought/said this to me as I was waking from meeting him in a lucid dream this morning.  I found him sitting in a grand reading room near a fireplace.  He stood and turned to me, dressed in a marroon pull over shirt with gold filigree.  We compared reading glasses and he shared that phrase as the dream was fading, while my body was sleeping but mind was awake and eyes not yet open.  I lay there for a time before moving into my day.

After settling in with my coffee to read and write like I do each morning, my wife walked in from the kitchen and glanced at the calender and says:  "It's your Father's birthday today."

Skol Father!

• Like 3

"Power... true power lies hidden. Like a mammoth sea creature just beneath the surface of the ocean. Nothing, but the faintest of ripples."

~Laurens Bancroft

• Like 2

Ragnar: What do you see?
Bjorn: Power, the power of a king.
Ragnar: Power is always dangerous. It attracts the worst and corrupts the best. I never asked for power.

excerpt from a scene in Vikings on History Channel

• Like 1

Nobody sees the obvious, nobody observes the ordinary. There are more miracles in a square yard of earth than in all the fables of the Church. ~ Robert Anton Wilson

• Like 2

"Judgmentalism is the vanity of all egos. Scripture says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." Also, "Judgement is mine, sayeth the Lord." Christ said to forgive. The Buddha said there is nothing to judge because perception can only see illusion. Perception is always partial and limited by an arbitrary context. In truth, no judgment is possible."

~David R. Hawkins, Along the Path to Enlightenment (pp. 82-83)

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

“Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow”. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Like 1