sean

What are you listening to?

I have some of his music but its not in my collection yet.  I just never cared for most of the songs he did.  Same thing with Hank Thompson.

Its not the artists, its me and my preferences.

Edited by Marblehead

ain't it like most people? i'm no different

we love to talk on things we don't know about

: - )

• Like 3

Switched genres of music this morning.  A collection titled "50s Oldies".  That's a collection of 1950s music other than DooWop and Rock-A-Billy which are separate categories.

50s Oldies includes stuff like this:

Spoiler

Saw him at the Evergreen Ballroom in Olympia, WA in either 1959 or 1960.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Switched genres of music this morning.  A collection titled "50s Oldies".  That's a collection of 1950s music other than DooWop and Rock-A-Billy which are separate categories.

50s Oldies includes stuff like this:

Hide contents

Saw him at the Evergreen Ballroom in Olympia, WA in either 1959 or 1960.

fats is great, i used to have a record of his laying around when I could barely speak yet, and remember being enthralled by the cover and the enthusiasm on his face.. hehe

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OldDog said:

Thinkin back to the 50s ... this came to mind.

That song was on my mind a while back and I couldn't recall title or artist.  Then suddenly appears, in that collection that was given to me, there is was.  It's now in my collection.

This song is playing here right now:

Spoiler

• Like 1

anybody like Eliott Smith? these are some of the best covers i've heard of his songs.. and the harmonies are perfection.

Edited by kyoji

The Platters are great. It is easy to see where Doo Wop evolved to in the late 50s, early 60s.  For example ...

34 minutes ago, OldDog said:

The Platters are great. It is easy to see where Doo Wop evolved to in the late 50s, early 60s.  For example ...

Yeah, great song and a great voice as lead singer.

I feel comfortable suggesting that The Ink Spots and The Platters are the mother and father of DooWop music and later of 1960s Soul music.  Then MoTown ruined everything.

4 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

The Ink Spots and The Platters are the mother and father of DooWop music and later of 1960s Soul music.

My thoughts as well. 

• Like 1

I had just about forgotten about Bo Diddley. Back in the day, there were two schools of thought ... Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley. 

Where Bo Diddley had a grounded and persistent rhythm thst tended to dominate ...

Chuck Berry's guitar just seemed to take off running.

Edited by OldDog
  • Like 3