Mal

Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha

if you talk only when it's required, not to entertain or impress others, you make it a habit to think before you speak.

I think the Buddha said (and this will be my paraphrase) in response to the question "What is the most important thing in life?" that it was "Noble friends and noble conversation." That would mean no lying I think ;)

Love,

Carson :D

PS> Sorry if I butchered the quote

Edited by CarsonZi

This is one of the reasons there is Noble Silence on retreats. The easiest way to refrain from lying, and from wrong speech, is not to speak at all.

The other thing I learned about truthfullness is that you are "lying" (bullshitting) less if you are talking less. The last point sounds rather obvious, but if you talk only when it's required, not to entertain or impress others, you make it a habit to think before you speak. If others are doing so, I prefer smiling back instead of talking nonsense back.

The main point with truthfullness as with the other precepts is to cultivate some sort of peace with the world. You let the world rest and slowly the world starts letting you rest in return, and your mind can stop thinking 'Why didn't I tell him ....? Next time!'. And morals do not only balance your mind, they're also essential for good physical health. Violent persons will always have a tensed body as they percieve so much violence and hostility around them. So without living well, you can't relax. At least I can't.

And it feels good on its own, this training in morality, at least that's my experience. I can't really meditate yet, and to be honest, I'm trying to find a teacher, but I'd also love to have someone teaching me about morals, life and especially the right attitude again like when I got my first "training" far away in India in Yoga.

When hurting others, we are not aware in this moment and we solidify the illusion of being a seperate being which we try to shatter with our practice, so it is quite obviously counterproductive when we practice at home and fight egoistic wars when out of the house. But true, it's difficult to change habits. But at least lying and hurting is just that: a habit, not your character. Best is changing your attitudes, then the habits follow.

Another cool thing about Morality being the most important training is that it is of most benefit to others / society. Concentration and Wisdom have much to offer the individual. But they are not of much benefit to others, wisdom perhaps, but not if it is presented without love and compassion :)

Here's what Daniel has to say...

About fingers:

Noticing the three characteristics is the heart and soul of practice. Now this can only be done once you have developed a certain degree of concentration. When you have enough concentration, you can look closely at anything that arises, whether a thought, feeling, or sensation, and ask three questions:

1. Does it change?

2. Does it satisfy?

3. Is it me?

Over time, this has a long term impact on how one sees the world...

Here's what Daniel has to say...

About fingers:

Noticing the three characteristics is the heart and soul of practice. Now this can only be done once you have developed a certain degree of concentration. When you have enough concentration, you can look closely at anything that arises, whether a thought, feeling, or sensation, and ask three questions:

1. Does it change?

2. Does it satisfy?

3. Is it me?

Over time, this has a long term impact on how one sees the world...

great. exactly.