Mak_Tin_Si

Fu healings

On Talismans you can read the excellent essay by C Despeux

http://books.google.com/books?id=EXVk1tr6l...d=0_0#PPA498,M1

Let me know if some pages are not available, I can scan and post them if necessary

YM

Thanks to both YM Wong and Mak Tin Si for explaining further on these subjects.

I really appreciate the scholarly factual explanations according to your understanding of the subject.

Craig

Yes, on the school first and on the teacher/line then - meaning that even in certain lines were talismans are regularly used some teachers might make little to no use of them.

More in general, those performing rituals for the public use them all the times for treatment and during petitions so they are very much bound to them.

Those mostly in (solitary) cultivation might have never used them.

YM

Thank you. And keeping on the topic, can FU be sent (say in a letter)? Would it be possible for people to ask for a FU to bless a house, or a meditation room, and have it sent to them? Or does it have to be passed down from a hand to a Taoist to a hand of a Taoist? Of course we assume that the letter does not get opened.

I am asking this with something in mind, as I am moving (again) I might have this time a meditation room. Maybe I could prepare the energies of the room in a more traditional way.

And keeping on the topic, can FU be sent (say in a letter)? Would it be possible for people to ask for a FU to bless a house, or a meditation room, and have it sent to them?

Yes, this happens quite frequently in fact with people getting Talismans for their beloved at home.

Of course it all depends on the situation as some require a more or less simple ritual to be done on the spot by the Daoist, but in general that's feasible.

YM

Ym-Wong didnt You state in the Luk-Yum thread that talismans have nothing to do with taoism ?

No, of course I did not

YM

Edited by YMWong

Heya r.w.smith, I admire your enthusiasm and you are right that we should be held acountable for what we say. I understand you avidly support the use of talismans and rituals and I agree with you, they can be incredibly useful in spiritual development and many authentic schools of Taoism use them in varied beneficial ways.

I could be wrong here, and if I am I want to be corrected, so lets examine the facts.

In the Yuk-Lum thread YMWong commented on the videos that were posted saying:

Totally unrelated to Daoism.

This seems to be the same group now posting here at TTB.

Hong Kong is filled up with these (self-made) "daoists" who (falsely) claim Maoshan-Wudang-Whathaveyou lineages that have been passed to them during sceance.

They have little-to-nothing to do with actual daoism and simply make a living filling a gap in many people's life. When this is done without negativity, it is a (commercial) service like many others.

YM

Now I have meagre knowledge on such things so I neither agree nor disagree with YM's assertions. I can see though that he has made no comment directly that "talismans have nothing to do with taoism" and that, if I read correctly, YM's intent was to say that the "cutting rituals" were unrelated to Daoism.

Now you may be correct in saying that these rituals and talisman's are one and the same. Could it be possible that this is merely a case of miscommunication?

Edited by Stigweard

In the Yuk-Lum thread YMWong commented on the videos that were posted saying:

Now I have meagre knowledge on such things so I neither agree nor disagree with YM's assertions. I can see though that he has made no comment directly that "talismans have nothing to do with taoism" and that, if I read correctly, YM's intent was to say that the "cutting rituals" were unrelated to Daoism.

Dear Stig,

nice of you to try and pacify RW's soul.

Your reading is correct, of course, as I have already pointed out to RW in that same thread:

I'd suggest you read what people write instead of putting things in their mouths.

But, of course, you can do and think as you wish

YM

I am afraid, however, that we are now both wasting our time because RW has made up his mind already.

It is no big deal

YM

Thanks for the Support Stig. That was one of the threads & posts I was on about.

Like I stated Earlier. Taoism has an almost Infinite amount of Talismans & Mantras for every circumstance imaginable. For You (YM WONG) to say it has Nothing to do with Taoism is completely false & Clearly points to a biased opinion.

Claiming Authority & Knowledge about every single Taoist Talisman is purely Ridiculous. In essence thats what your comments meant. I highly doubt that Even the great Masters such as Wang Liping or John Chang would even make such bold claims, Yet a nobody such as yourself decides to say what Is & Is not Taoism.

Give Me a Break.

Deep down, i Feel that Wong is upset with Westerners having first hand information on such knowledge.The Luk-Yum & Various other threads proved That with His "Dont Tell Them Too Much Attitude". Something I Despise.

Regards.

Edited by r.w.smith

Here is a talisman made for me by a Taoist monk on Huashan Mountain. If some one could translate it that would be wonderful. Are the folds done in a special way as well?

FuJau001.jpg

FuJau002.jpg

FuJau003.jpg

My senior classmate gave his opinion on this talisman.

According to our lineage this talisman is for protection from bodily harm. Looks like its hand drawn but there is no seal of authority on it and also the last part at the bottom of the talismans doesnt look right. It didnt have the sealing part.

Thanks for the Support Stig. That was one of the threads & posts I was on about.

Like I stated Earlier. Taoism has an almost Infinite amount of Talismans & Mantras for every circumstance imaginable. For You (YM WONG) to say it has Nothing to do with Taoism is completely false & Clearly points to a biased opinion.

Claiming Authority & Knowledge about every single Taoist Talisman is purely Ridiculous. In essence thats what your comments meant. I highly doubt that Even the great Masters such as Wang Liping or John Chang would even make such bold claims, Yet a nobody such as yourself decides to say what Is & Is not Taoism.

Give Me a Break.

Deep down, i Feel that Wong is upset with Westerners having first hand information on such knowledge.The Luk-Yum & Various other threads proved That with His "Dont Tell Them Too Much Attitude". Something I Despise.

Regards.

So basically, you are saying that because he has first hand knowledge about this, and doesn't say what agrees with what you think, he is a racist? Way to go off the deep end buddy.

As requested from the moderator of TaoBum, I have moved to this forum : http://www.daoismworld.com right now.

So if you want to talk to me or ask me anything about Taoism, please feel free to go over to this forum and enjoy the new forum. New members for discussion are also welcomed.

http://www.daoismworld.com

Mak Tin Si

Edited by Mak_Tin_Si

As requested from the moderator of TaoBum, I have moved to this forum : http://www.daoismworld.com right now.

So if you want to talk to me or ask me anything about Taoism, please feel free to go over to this forum and enjoy the new forum. New members for discussion are also welcomed.

http://www.daoismworld.com

Mak Tin Si

Edited by Mak_Tin_Si