Sign in to follow this  
Peng Tzu

My take on the 'Taoist Cannon'

Hello everyone,

I have been a taoist philosopher for a long time, maybe ten years (i'm only 30), and as far as I was told, the only three necessary books are "Tao Te Ching' of which I have several good copies, 'Chuang Tzu's Inner Chapters' my favorite, and the Lieh Tzu.

That's it, three books.

I have a simple question: Where do you draw the line between something which is central to the concept of Tao Jia (Philosophical Taoism) and something that isn't?

I know about the I Ching (it's strange, lao tzu warned against trying to predict the future, yet both books have endured in popularity (Tao Te Ching and the I Ching). I also know several good books such as Scholar Warrior and the Shambhala Classics.

My feeling is that a lot of these books being talked about on this forum are not necessary, just like all the different types of Physical Yoga are unnecessary. Any type of yoga that involves postures and breathing techniques is Hatha Yoga. What is the difference between kundalini yoga and ashtanga? Very little.

What I am saying is, the Tao Bums seem to overcomplicate the Taoist experience. I think if one is interested in Tao, read a little bit every day from whatever book gives you insight and find the answers through introspection and observation.

My impression was that the Taoist canon is a whole bunch of books like the Christian canon only the Taoist one isn't all in one place or even fully translated.

My impression was that the Taoist canon is a whole bunch of books like the Christian canon only the Taoist one isn't all in one place or even fully translated.

Yep, 1000's of them and mostly untranslated.

I guess it depends on how deep you want to go i.e. having done a bit of ashtanga its not really like kundalini yoga :) but I get what you are saying.

I know about the I Ching (it's strange, lao tzu warned against trying to predict the future, yet both books have endured in popularity (Tao Te Ching and the I Ching).

The yijing in my opinion does not predict the future but reads the greatest potential or potentials at the moment.

I agree (if I am reading you right) that one should not confuse a discussion or scholarly understanding of process with experience. Reading about process should enhance experience not replace it.

Its is good there are allot of books as there are allot of different interests or branches and stems of a taoist life, as well as perspectives.

Dear Peng Tzu,

I have probably upwards of 35 to 40 different translations of the Dao de Jing.

Of all those, I probably only use five to read from frequently.

Really well translated DDJ's are exceedingly rare, it seems.

The Ye Jing is a good tool for helping to have a complete understanding of just where you are on The Way.

That being said, I use it these days very infrequently, because the Dao de Jing offers so much.

There are two other Daoist forums that are also very good, and I would encourage you to sample those as well:

http://members.boardhost.com/Zentao00/

http://forum.daoisopen.com/default.asp

Perhaps these two are more about 'Philosophical Daoism'.

I don't care so much for labels, but that's my take on them anyways.

It always helps to dialog with others seeking a similar Way.

If you'd like to know some well done translations of the DDJ, I'd be glad to share with you the one's that I find most useful.

Just let me know. OK?

Peace to you, gossamer

Edited by gossamer

thank you gossamer,

i particularly like the Henricks Translation of the Tao Te Ching, the one based on the Ma Huang Ti texts that were found in those famous burial mounds.

In terms of Chuang Tzu, I like Thomas Cleary's essential Tao version. While I don't like his version of the Tao Te Ching, I do like the way he interprets the Chuang Tzu. Both are in that book.

Thank you for the website links, I will look at them later.

Please share with me your experiences and insights in Tao.

Dear Peng Tzu,

Let me share a quote with you, and later this evening, or tomorrow, when I have more time, I will tell you my understanding of Dao.

"The ONLY true master is the Tao, its lessons are spoken of silently, and its gestures are stillness. Only in emptiness may one find oneness with the Tao. These are basic ideas all of which Lao Tzu believed as is written in the Tao Te Ching. Now how can a practitioner of Tao Chiao find the first Sages words to be untrue............ words are like the dust, and the Tao will always settle dust............. He who is one with the Tao is the calm before the storm, and the calm in its midst."

From 'Tranquility', from the 'Siu Tao Forum' (from Indonesia)

I love this quote!

Peace, gossamer

Edited by gossamer

That's it, three books.

YES: The Guodian Laozi book A, book B and book C :D

I have a simple question: Where do you draw the line between something which is central to the concept of Tao Jia (Philosophical Taoism) and something that isn't?

I have an simple answer: the line that can be drawn is not the enduring line :D

lienshan

Lao Tzu taught meditation and chi kung as well other healing practices!

One needs to also stay healthy so they can stay on the path to get to the next level whatever that maybe.....

Dear Peng Tzu,

I've published this on two other Daoist Forums...............see what you think.

And I'm NOT saying that Philosophical Daoism is the only kind of Daoism either.

I find having lived 56 years now, that I'm NOT interested in being "an Immortal" (much like Connor MacCloed, in the 'Highlander' movie, I'd rather live one normally spaced life, then a life of many years, and watch all of those that I Love die......) like so many are in modern 'Daoism'.

Because of where I've been earlier in my life, I really don't care about learning "magic", or Daoist ways that Westerner's would refer to as 'magic'.

I do care about the beauty of what Laozi writes, and the feelings of peace and wholeness that it gives me when I read the Dao de Jing.

'Spiritual poetry', is what I might call the Dao de Jing.

I value THAT.

I'm NOT looking for a religion of power, as a lot of modern Daoist's seem to be doing, I'm just looking for more peace in my life.

Maybe a Way to become a better human, friend, husband, and lover.

Somedays I'm tired of all the bullshit in life, and the DDJ gives me the clarity to see beyond and through THAT.

I used to be a member of Derek Lin's old 'Tao Forum', and it seems back in those days that there were more people looking for The Way as a spiritual path, then there are now.....I don't know, maybe I'm being cynical about that to a certain degree though.....I just don't know.

But that's why I care about the philosophy of Daoism, and not all the other fringe stuff.

When I read the DDJ I read it to help me understand how to try to walk out The Way, and not really for anything ELSE.

That's why I guess if I had to call myself something, I'd use that term; "Philosophical Daoist".

That seems to sum it up nicely for me at this time, in my life.

Peace, gossamer

Sign in to follow this