Maddie

Transgender Q&A

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

If an enlightened person is unattached to their own male or female appearance in the world, surely they´re also unattached to the male or female appearance of others.

Oooooh 😗.... Yes!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

If an enlightened person is unattached to their own male or female appearance in the world, surely they´re also unattached to the male or female appearance of others.

I think that's why this topic tends to be so triggering for people, because it challenges the concept of our own identity and what do we cling to more then being or existence? According to the Buddha clinging to existence is the reason that we reincarnate.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Maddie said:

I think that's why this topic tends to be so triggering for people, because it challenges the concept of our own identity and what do we cling to more then being or existence? According to the Buddha clinging to existence is the reason that we reincarnate.

Just thinkin´.  This thought might help transgendered people have more empathy for the transphobic.  The fear that transgendered people must face in order to transition -- so brilliantly articulated by @surrogate corpse -- is the same fear that transphobic feel when they confront this topic.  If it was hard for you, of course it´s hard for others.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Maddie said:

No that's called crossdressing. 

We change our appearance to align better with our identity. 

You literally just sayed "we transform our appearance to fit our identity" so technically it should be called transappearance not transgender. No gender has been transformed only the appearance of the body has been transformed during the medical intervention.

Or am I missing something? 

Another thing I realized is that the only way you can be transgender is if you become enlightened. That's the only time you can shift and transform your identity into something else. 

The world is using all the concepts backwards lol. 

2 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Or am I missing something? 

Yes lol. It's not about the appearance it's about the identity.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Just thinkin´.  This thought might help transgendered people have more empathy for the transphobic.  The fear that transgendered people must face in order to transition -- so brilliantly articulated by @surrogate corpse -- is the same fear that transphobic feel when they confront this topic.  If it was hard for you, of course it´s hard for others.

Here's my issue with transphobic people though. Growing up in Texas in a very conservative and religious home I was taught that basically all lgbtq people were wrong and going to hell. As kids we just tend to absorb our parents' view so I actually thought this for a long time. This caused me to feel very sad for lgbtq people. It however did not make me want to go out and actively want to antagonize them or be mean to them. 

We can not understand something or even not to agree with something and still be polite.

Edited by Maddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@liminal_luke

I in fact do have a limited sympathy for the transphobic for just this reason.

But I make sure to distinguish fear insofar as it leads us to torment ourselves and fear insofar as it leads us to torment others.

My sympathy for fear that leads us to torment ourselves approaches boundlessness. My sympathy for fear that leads us to torment others is sharply curtailed. It begins at the moment that the person who shows such fear indicates a genuine desire to stop hurting others and a genuine willingness to confront the fear that makes them do so.

My best friend is dead because of transphobes. Nearly every trans person I know personally knows someone dead because of transphobes. I think my approach to this matter is fair.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Maddie said:

Yes lol. It's not about the appearance it's about the identity.

But I fail to see what am I missing. It is the appearance of the body that is being changed not the identity. So it's technically a trans-body-appearance. 

3 minutes ago, surrogate corpse said:

@liminal_luke

I in fact do have a limited sympathy for the transphobic for just this reason.

But I make sure to distinguish fear insofar as it leads us to torment ourselves and fear insofar as it leads us to torment others.

My sympathy for fear that leads us to torment ourselves approaches boundlessness. My sympathy for fear that leads us to torment others is sharply curtailed. It begins at the moment that the person who shows such fear indicates a genuine desire to stop hurting others and a genuine willingness to confront the fear that makes them do so.

My best friend is dead because of transphobes. Nearly every trans person I know personally knows someone dead because of transphobes. I think my approach to this matter is fair.

The worst transphobe I ever faced in my life was the one within.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Salvijus said:

But I fail to see what am I missing. It is the appearance of the body that is being changed not the identity. So it's technically a trans-body-appearance. 

Apples don't make the tree, the tree makes the apples. 😌

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Maddie said:

Apples don't make the tree, the tree makes the apples. 😌

Mmm... So? 

Why would  calling the changing of body appearance through medical intervention transbodyappearance is incorrect? It literally means. Transforming body appearance. And that literally is what happens. 

Edited by Salvijus

4 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Mmm... So? 

Why would  calling the changing of body appearance through medical intervention transbodyappearance is incorrect? It literally means. Transforming body appearance. And that literally is what happens. 

Is an apple tree still an apple tree before it makes apples?

2 minutes ago, Maddie said:

Is an apple tree still an apple tree before it makes apples?

Yes. 

So you see. Apple tree changed its appearance not it species. So it's transappearance not transspecies. 

Just now, Salvijus said:

Yes. 

So you see. Apple tree changed its appearance not it species. So it's transappearance not transspecies. 

It's called transgender not trans species LOL 😂

• Haha 1

I don’t get why you talk about the apple tree tho. 

Just look at the logic. 

Body appearance has been transformed through medical intervention or whatever else method. So what's wrong with calling it transappearance? 

1 minute ago, Salvijus said:

I don’t get why you talk about the apple tree tho. 

I know. Think about it a little bit. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Maddie said:

I know. Think about it a little bit. 

If you're trying to make me understand something. Just say it what it is. Or I will just assume my logic is correct. Calling transformation of body appearance - transappearance is actually very valid. And no amount of apple trees are going to change invalidate that logic. 

Edited by Salvijus

1 minute ago, Salvijus said:

If you're trying to make me understand something. Just say it what it is. Or I will just assume my logic is correct. Calling transformation of body appearance - transappearance is actually very valid. 

You're free to think whatever you want, I'm not the guardian of your thoughts lol. 

To those know do not say, those who say do not know.

4 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Body appearance has been transformed through medical intervention or whatever else method. So what's wrong with calling it transappearance? 

I´ll take a stab.  I´m remembering the time I dressed up as a woman for Halloween.  This, to my mind, would be transappearance.  I appeared as a woman -- well, not really -- but the change was not a deep change of identity but only wig-deep.  To change one´s gender is much more profound.  Sure, the appearance changes but the change that matters is the one that happens on the inside.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maddie said:

You're free to think whatever you want, I'm not the guardian of your thoughts lol. 

To those know do not say, those who say do not know.

I think you just don't have any valid way to show why calling transformation of the body transappearance is invalid. If you did you wouldn't hesitate to show it.

1 minute ago, liminal_luke said:

I´ll take a stab.  I´m remembering the time I dressed up as a woman for Halloween.  This, to my mind, would be transappearance.  I appeared as a woman -- well, not really -- but the change was not a deep change of identity but only wig-deep.  To change one´s gender is much more profound.  Sure, the appearance changes but the change that matters is the one that happens on the inside.

Luke gets it LOL. He just described the difference between crossdressers and trans people.

• Thanks 1

A crossdresser is like gluing lemons to an apple tree LOL

So what the difference of changing your appearance thrrough clothing versus changing your appearance through medical intervention? 

Just now, Salvijus said:

So what the difference of changing your appearance thrrough clothing versus changing your appearance through medical intervention? 

The difference is, why is one changing their appearance in the first place?

• Like 1

Just now, Maddie said:

The difference is, why is one changing their appearance in the first place?

To fit their identity. But it is not the change of identity that is happening. It is the change of appearance that is happening. The identity is the same before and after.