Sign in to follow this  
old3bob

a country boy can't survive, unless...

Posted (edited)

there is that song about about how a country boy can survive, and mostly off the land.  Well there are still some places left where that might be possible but there are less and less of such places as time goes by because the Earth's eco systems are taking a beating and growing populations are rapidly consuming natural resources!  An example from the past was how plains Indians of west survived pretty well for a very long time until the Buffalo was almost completely wiped out by greed and cruel stupidity and as part of plans for genocide of American Indians!  My point: a country boy can only survive as long as there is good country to do it in which tragically is disappearing here in the US and around the world! 

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

Can't a country boy live in a house, have a 9 to 5 job, and still practice homesteader skills? 

To me a country boy enjoys quiet and outdoors but doesn't have to be a mountain man, hermit or living off the grid.  It's about the spirit of independence.  Strong, capable, resilient.. enjoying nature and having skills.  

So, imo, it's still possible, in degrees, for anyone, even city folk, who don't mind learning new things and getting their hands dirty.  It doesn't mean they can live off the land, but they can get closer to it.  Here in the US that spirit is strong in many Western states especially Alaska.  With it comes a host of possible problems, boredom, drugs etc. but many rewards too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A city boy can grow a windowsill herb garden.  The output won´t sustain a family but a snip of mint or oregano can spruce up a salad.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, silent thunder said:

If we keep spreading into the wilderness... when will we fill it and it will be city?

exactly, and which has been going on all over.  There are also huge corporations pushing for a lot of good land and even wilderness to have giant industrial sites put in those areas which would then take maybe thousands+ years for the land to regenerate once stripped!

Luke and Learner, you are right about making the incremental moves you mentioned, since few people can go back to living off any lands that might support them.  Even many of those who are off grid still have all sorts of helpful modern equipment like chainsaws, snowmobiles, various tools, supplies from town, solar power, etc...

I lived for about a year and a half in a shack out in the woods without electricity, running water,  natural gas or propane for heating or cooking.  It was not easy (especially in the winter with only an axe for chopping firewood) but I was younger, stronger and simpler back then (and dumber in some ways) !  Getting an occasional hot shower in town at a friends house was a  delightful luxury!

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 2

Ya know, today is national Deep Dish Pizza day, not kidding.  

just what the US needs, <sarcasm>

I hope we have a national Off-the-Grid weekend.  Turn off or minimize all things electric for the weekend.  What'll you do, what'll you eat, how will you entertain yourself and the kids??  Figure it out, you'll be the better for it.  

guess I'm describing the Sabbath, the one day a week when the Jews go Amish.  Orthodox ones anyway.  For the Amish I guess it'd be a day of.. What are those English playing at?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Too bad it doesn´t fall on Easter.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, silent thunder said:

We order Sichuan on Easter... and Christmas.

That sounds like such an inspired tradition, so marvelously particular to your family.  What are your favorite Sichuan dishes?

On 4/6/2024 at 10:21 AM, thelerner said:

I hope we have a national Off-the-Grid weekend.  Turn off or minimize all things electric for the weekend.  What'll you do, what'll you eat, how will you entertain yourself and the kids??  Figure it out, you'll be the better for it.  

guess I'm describing the Sabbath, the one day a week when the Jews go Amish.  Orthodox ones anyway.  For the Amish I guess it'd be a day of.. What are those English playing at?

Oh damn ... and I made a shallow dish pizza !

Off the grid weekend is coming !  Parts of Oz nearly had that last summer !   Air con overload .... and wait till it happens mass scale and peeps be realizing their brand new modern apartment does not have windows that   open !

Dont need them  .... air con !  

• Haha 1

This 'country boy' is currently flooded in .   Fortunately ( for me ) most of it went around our area .... hit some cities south .... now they got some 'country'  (no power, no lighting , sewer out etc .  )

Sydney's main water supply dam is topping over , if more rain, that could get very  '   interesting '  !

image.png.3fa2318dcc4f947942f7a2f8d095793e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1

On 4/5/2024 at 5:21 PM, thelerner said:

I like thin crust with reduced cheese now since I don't need all the carbs and fat from a super deep dish;  btw. the company that sells fresh take home and cook it yourself pizza is my favorite, more so with its 20% discount for vets!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Nungali said:

This 'country boy' is currently flooded in .   Fortunately ( for me ) most of it went around our area .... hit some cities south .... now they got some 'country'  (no power, no lighting , sewer out etc .  )

Sydney's main water supply dam is topping over , if more rain, that could get very  '   interesting '  !

image.png.3fa2318dcc4f947942f7a2f8d095793e.png

its amazing how many of us take modern conveniences for granted; electricity being a major one along with water on tap, heat from the furnace, AC, handy phones,  pc's, vehicles to drive around in, grocery stores, etc.., imagine if we all had to go back to the early 1800's without such....

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 7:38 AM, liminal_luke said:

That sounds like such an inspired tradition, so marvelously particular to your family.  What are your favorite Sichuan dishes?

Dandan noodles. Bobo chicken  Twice cooked pork or duck... the list is endless.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, old3bob said:

its amazing how many of us take modern conveniences for granted; electricity being a major one along with water on tap, heat from the furnace, AC, handy phones,  pc's, vehicles to drive around in, grocery stores, etc.., imagine if we all had to go back to the early 1800's without such....

You won't have to go back .   Soon  its all going to be  connected to the internet ... even refrigerators  fer gawd's sake  .... just need the internet to fail and  .....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Dandan noodles. Bobo chicken  Twice cooked pork or duck... the list is endless.

Did you know Sichuan 'pepper' isnt really pepper ?  Its a type of citrus .

• Wow 1

9 hours ago, Nungali said:

You won't have to go back .   Soon  its all going to be  connected to the internet ... even refrigerators  fer gawd's sake  .... just need the internet to fail and  .....

that is true, btw our oven came with Wi-Fi capability which we sure didn't need or want, imagine someone putting the wrong settings in remotely and burning up whatever is in the oven!  And if you can't operate it without certain software or wi-fi then you could be SOL when it comes time to use it.

guess i'll just have to suffice with my coal fired brick outdoor pizza oven//// no internet required,,,

it doesnt take up much space, so, i'd imagine that they would be useful in cities as well.

so yeah, most common country folk can suffice  B) appreciate ya'll's concern for us, and likewise, we country folk wonder in concern how ya'll city folk gonna be able to survive; likely, this is just a perspective thing. (during normal times, whatever those are)

regardless, surviving is one thing, surthriving is another thing,,, there are several levels of survival, further comment on this later in the post.

at the freelance artists studio; my job title is party manager, the party must go on, in fact, the party does go on :wub:

sort of self perpetuates, perpetrates, careful with that word trickery, Eugene. (it is not only crimes that can be perpetrated, although, they also can be) 

I will share a couple of country songs for illustrative usefulness

Spoiler

the second country song is for @Nungali

Spoiler

BONUS TRACK!!!

becoz i always go the extra miles for ya'll bums. (going the extra miles is useful for many things, surviving included)

One lesson I've learned this life; a hard lesson fr, and like a fool that i am, i still try to do the impossible sometimes, too often/

yet, when it comes to life, life choices, surviving, and there are widespread opinions concerning this, 

IT IS HARD< SOME SAY IT CAN"T BE DONE< DON'T EVEN TRY---TO SAVE SOMEONE ELSE (from themselves)from this world

YOU CAN ONLY LOVE THEM

oh yeah the bonus track!

Spoiler

Spoiler

If by chance, the elites pull off some bizarre crime against humanity

Hey it's not like they haven't done such in the past----

and a HOT CIVIL WAR breaks out amongst us,, STAND DOWN do not buy into it, do not be duped, Of course, you will stand your ground, defend yourself if it encroaches onto you, that is only Natural, and i send energies of success for such.

Do not join in the participation of leaving your abode to go on the offensive against your neighbors. They are only co-victims such as yourself in this. It will take great effort from ALL of US to limit the Horror and Terror.

City Folk or Country Folk, we are All Folk, and in the same boat. Careful, thoughtful, navigation of stormy waters, and maybe with a little luck, we will get through it.

the thread is about survival, there are times when surviving becomes more challenging. often, it is your state of mind that will determine your outcome. Stay focused. Stay calm.

Spoiler

the USAF showed me what I already innately knew, understood, and reinforcing, redundancy, confirming, of these ideas, was/is useful, to avoid overthinking, second guessing, indecisiveness. It takes a higher level mental toughness, if one is not Divinely protected. If you are Divinely protected, you have responsibilities to help others.

When Madness approaches have a plan, even though it's likely, 99.7% nothing will go as planned. 

Survive

Evade
RESIST

Escape

All Ya'll in the cities, know that your country cousins, wish only the best outcomes for ya'll.

Whatever arrives to threaten us, our best defense is to stick together.

this last song comes from the Heart

• Thanks 1

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinkin' I could never live without you by my side
Then I spent so many nights Just thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong
And I learned how to get along

And so you're back from outer space
I just walked in to find you here, with that sad look upon your face
I should have changed that stupid lock
I should have made you leave your key
If I had known for just one second you'd be back to bother me

Go on now go, walk out the door
Just turn around now
'Coz you're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to break me with goodbyes?
you think I'd crumble?
you think I'd lay down and die?
Oh no not I, I will survive
For as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live
And I've got all my love to give
I'll survive
I will survive
Hey hey

(I, I will survive)
Hey hey
(I, I will survive)
Every day
(I, I will survive)
Oh yeah

It took all the strength I had not to fall apart
Just trying hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart
And I spent oh so many nights just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry, but now I hold my head up high
And you see me, somebody new
I'm not that chained up little person still in love with you
And so you felt like dropping in and just expect me to be free
But now I'm savin' all my lovin' for someone who's lovin' me

Go on now, go walk out the door
Just turn around now
You're not welcome anymore
you think I'd crumble?
Did you think I'd lay down and die?
Oh as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I'll survive
I will survive
Hey hey

Go now, go walk out the door
Just turn around now
Weren't you the one who tried to break me with goodbye?
Did you think I'd crumble?
Did you think I'd lay down and die?
Oh as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I'll survive
I will survive
I will survive

00-promo-image-diana-ross-beauty-hits.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d612e4de6a4d9e7b64a0e85e228336d69d126069fe5a5676f0affec221fee118&ipo=images

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Nungali said:

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinkin' I could never live without you by my side
Then I spent so many nights Just thinking how you did me wrong
And I grew strong
And I learned how to get along

And so you're back from outer space
I just walked in to find you here, with that sad look upon your face
I should have changed that stupid lock
I should have made you leave your key
If I had known for just one second you'd be back to bother me

Go on now go, walk out the door
Just turn around now
you think I'd crumble?
you think I'd lay down and die?
For as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I'll survive
I will survive
Hey hey

(I, I will survive)
Hey hey
(I, I will survive)
Every day
(I, I will survive)
Oh yeah

It took all the strength I had not to fall apart

[original lyrics: Only the Lord could give me strength not to fall apart]

Just trying hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart
And I spent oh so many nights just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry, but now I hold my head up high
And you see me, somebody new
I'm not that chained up little person still in love with you
And so you felt like dropping in and just expect me to be free

But now I'm savin' all my lovin' for someone who's lovin' me

Go on now, go walk out the door …

I added in the quote re. “It took all the strength I had not to fall apart”.

The original lyrics have: “Only the Lord could give me strength not to fall apart”

Writer/s: Dino Fekaris, Frederick J. Perren 
https://www.songfacts.com/lyrics/gloria-gaynor/i-will-survive  

Edited by Cobie

Posted (edited)

well worth repeating by Zerostao:

"If by chance, the elites pull off some bizarre crime against humanity

Hey it's not like they haven't done such in the past----

and a HOT CIVIL WAR breaks out amongst us,, STAND DOWN do not buy into it, do not be duped, Of course, you will stand your ground, defend yourself if it encroaches onto you, that is only Natural, and i send energies of success for such.

Do not join in the participation of leaving your abode to go on the offensive against your neighbors. They are only co-victims such as yourself in this. It will take great effort from ALL of US to limit the Horror and Terror.

City Folk or Country Folk, we are All Folk, and in the same boat. Careful, thoughtful, navigation of stormy waters, and maybe with a little luck, we will get through it.

"....the thread is about survival, there are times when surviving becomes more challenging. often, it is your state of mind that will determine your outcome. Stay focused. Stay calm"

Edited by old3bob

Sign in to follow this