Jonboy

Newcomer

Hello everyone.  I am relatively new to spiritual things as I have been a staunch atheist and disbeliever of things I don't know for the vast majority of my life. I had a NDE as a toddler and a couple of OBEs during my youth.  More or less suppressed that stuff and in my 40s had an awakening of sorts.  Lost 80 pounds, started getting into meditation and medical qigong and figured out how fear from my NDE was driving most of my decisions and have got through that.  Probably a bunch more crap to go through but have been happy for a couple years now and life just feels easier.  I have some trusted folks locally to talk about some of the spiritual sides of life.  Still trying to make sense of things that would happen to me when I was young, especially in the middle of the night.  

In general a seeker.  Looking into neigong but in general just searching for truth with the internal arts.  Not really married to yoga or taoism, etc.

• Thanks 1

Hi jonboy. Wow, the NDE so young. Good to hear you “have been happy for a couple years now and life just feels easier”. Welcome to the forum. :) 

Its interesting that I have read a few people who have experienced NDA, have come back with certain qualities/powers only allowed once you cross over. I wouldn't be surprised if your later OBE's are a result of the NDE.

The NDE (near death experience), that I have read about or seen on Youtube, all seem to be related to seeing light and loved ones with feelings of love. And after the NDE, those people would then not fear death anymore. To hear you have trauma from your NDE is something I have not heard about. But, I hope your life gets better and you get the healing that you need. Good luck.

Thank you Cobie. I did say I did not know it could be a traumatic experience. I am sorry for my ignorance. The stories I have heard have been positive. One person found God. Another no longer fears death. So, in my mind, death was not something to fear. Now, I am hearing something different. Personally I would rather not learn more about that side of it. I respect those who are able to find a way to survive traumatic events and possibly grow stronger from them. Namaste.

On 29-2-2024 at 2:45 AM, Jonboy said:

Hello everyone.  I am relatively new to spiritual things as I have been a staunch atheist and disbeliever of things I don't know for the vast majority of my life. I had a NDE as a toddler and a couple of OBEs during my youth.  More or less suppressed that stuff and in my 40s had an awakening of sorts.  Lost 80 pounds, started getting into meditation and medical qigong and figured out how fear from my NDE was driving most of my decisions and have got through that.  Probably a bunch more crap to go through but have been happy for a couple years now and life just feels easier.  I have some trusted folks locally to talk about some of the spiritual sides of life.  Still trying to make sense of things that would happen to me when I was young, especially in the middle of the night.  

In general a seeker.  Looking into neigong but in general just searching for truth with the internal arts.  Not really married to yoga or taoism, etc.

welcome Jonby, glad to hear you managed to recognize and overcome that fear.

On 2-4-2024 at 10:14 AM, idiot_stimpy said:

Its interesting that I have read a few people who have experienced NDA, have come back with certain qualities/powers only allowed once you cross over. I wouldn't be surprised if your later OBE's are a result of the NDE.

I had that the other way round, OBE started happening  before NDE

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

The NDE (near death experience), that I have read about or seen on Youtube, all seem to be related to seeing light and loved ones with feelings of love. And after the NDE, those people would then not fear death anymore. To hear you have trauma from your NDE is something I have not heard about. But, I hope your life gets better and you get the healing that you need. Good luck.

speaking for myself, NDE itself was not traumatic at all, the compassion and the light that are experienced are beyond words.

but how to hold that stuff once your back here, the horrible experience of being back in your body. In my time nothing was known about it. I came from an atheist family, so had nothing to hook the experience on ( like, i could not say i met Jesus in  heaven an outburst of love, light and compassion) so I never told anyone about it.

Essentially I locked up the experience somewhere, not understanding, acting as if it had not happened. As I also had some sort of visions as a kid and I knew that people who see things that do not exist are crazy and gets locked away in a nut house. I took care to keep my mouth shut about anything unusual I experienced.

also my mother was very anxious about " the crack into the unexplained"  and that fear very probably has touched on me too.

I was around 40 when I managed to get out of that circle and set my feet on the path.

long story short, the trauma can come from the reaction of society, not from the experience itself.

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first experience/conscious memory of this life was a dream that led to an out of body experience.  I was three.  I had no notion of what dreams or death was, nor even really my body or identity yet.  I was just an awareness exploring life. 

It instilled in me the unshakable vajra experience that awareness is not body dependent, nor body originated or centered.  It was a gift beyond anything I could envision or seek intentionally then or now.  Before I had even a concept of body death, I had the indelible experience that the body is not the center of awareness or of life itself.

In my late 40's I died on several occasions a few years apart.  Two I have no active recall of, but returned in an enduring and intently blissful state of gratitude that abided for months.  The other occasion resulted in two encounters of which there are memories and again a blissful abiding state of enduring devotional gratitude that returns unbidden on occasion since then...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2024 at 8:45 PM, Jonboy said:

Hello everyone.  I am relatively new to spiritual things as I have been a staunch atheist and disbeliever of things I don't know for the vast majority of my life.

As far as I know, "spiritual" has two meanings. 1 is relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things. 2. relating to religion or religious beliefs. Isn't the spirit or soul given by the deity or God? Being a staunch atheist and disbeliever, wouldn't that mean that you do not believe in the spirit or soul?

In Buddhism, there is a doctrine of no self or emptiness. Believe it to be called Sunyata. Achieving emptiness or void is to see the truth of Buddha nature. No spirit, no soul, not a spiritual matter?? Or is it no spirit, no soul, no self but it is a spiritual matter??

I am not looking to have an argument. Just putting things in perspective. Humans have the unique ability to accept many contradicting things and make it all seem to be perfectly natural. Like practicing the outer form of Tai Chi in order to manifest internal changes. Like making oneself strong by lifting weights until one feels weak. So, seeker, what is it that you are looking for?

For me, I thought it was enlightenment. However, it means no self, sunyata. Achieving emptiness and void. Practice is sitting in meditation to still the mind. I understand the practice but yet to experience anything close to enlightenment. So, what do I believe in? I live and let live. Have interesting conversations with people who are so smart and have delved so deep into the doctrines and speeches. Then I wonder to myself, is this really what the Buddha taught? So much stuff that makes my head spin? But, what else is on the menu?