These imortal words, inscrived at the temple of Apollo, Delphi has ressonated and inspired countless wise men aswell as the Intellectually challenged, as my self.

It is seen by many as the only and most important «commandnent.» What does it mean to you?

• Like 1

If you go on a long journey, into the wilderness ,  you better know how to properly drive your car , maintain and repair it .

Study anthropology and psychology  - a bit of history or comparative religion as well . Going  from the human animal collectively to the individual , study mythology . Investigate various 'psychological mapping' cross cultural  . Develop personal ones .

Look at the ancients  views on the makeup of the psyche - its components .  Think how they relate to yourself .   Investigate what 'made you ' , from ancestors through to the environments you live in and any 'past life' awareness or memories .  Examine your inner and outer proclivities and determine which are natural , ' ingrained ' , part of your purpose , and which have been instilled  or programmed into you . 

Learn how to read your own natal astrology chart . Look at your strengths and weaknesses , what influences your emotions and why .

Get your internal elemental hierarchy straight and in order  ... its going to be hard with out that .

Become a psychonaut .

Oooooo !  Look !   I just found out   psychonautics has its own wiki site ! 

"documenting all aspects of psychonautic theory and practice (including meditationlucid dreamingpsychoactive substance use, sensory deprivation, ritual, etc.) from an evidence-based, academic perspective "

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Yes, it is the first requisite to philosophy and initiation .

17 hours ago, Nungali said:

Yes, it is the first requisite to philosophy and initiation .

Thought you might like this:

The soul (245c–249d)edit

He begins by briefly proving the immortality of the soul. A soul is always in motion and as a self-mover has no beginning. A self-mover is itself the source of everything else that moves. So, by the same token, it cannot be destroyed. Bodily objects moved from the outside have no soul, while those that move from within have a soul. Moving from within, all souls are self-movers, and hence their immortality is necessary.[Note 20]

Then begins the famous chariot allegory. A soul, says Socrates, is like the "natural union of a team of winged horses and their charioteer". While the gods have two good horses, everyone else has a mixture: one is beautiful and good, while the other is neither.[Note 21]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaedrus_(dialogue)

• Like 2

On 08/02/2024 at 2:22 AM, NaturaNaturans said:

These imortal words, inscrived at the temple of Apollo, Delphi has ressonated and inspired countless wise men aswell as the Intellectually challenged, as my self.

It is seen by many as the only and most important «commandnent.» What does it mean to you?

Knowing my wants, my fears, my dark side too.

Knowing my "missing parts" too, as these often manifest in partner selection.

Knowing what sensations on my body signal me and why I get the specific sensations.

Connecting bodily sensations to emotions and what these emotions signal.

Knowing the "interdependent arising" view of my own processes.

Knowing my automatic reactions.

Understanding relationships with others too 

It's a big project, still ongoing 😁

Edited by snowymountains
  • Like 1

Know thyself.

To me it means exactly what it says on the tin - know thyself. 
Simple.
Not easy.

image.jpeg.130c24dae599dd3849d64eae7196ddfb.jpeg

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keith108 said:

For.me, it means know my true self, not the delusional self.

But there's no delusional self, only parts that don't agree on everything, all of them, combined, are the true self ( here some may say that all these are empty of self ofc 😁).

Otherwise these parts will be disowned, get pushed to the unconscious and rule us from there.

• Like 1

healthy human ego serves a purpose, same as the physical body serves a purpose, making them into boogey men serves delusion...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

But there's no delusional self, only parts that don't agree on everything, all of them, combined, are the true self ( here some may say that all these are empty of self ofc 😁).

Otherwise these parts will be disowned, get pushed to the unconscious and rule us from there.

those created parts you mention are not the "true self" but working together may serve the uncreated, deathless true self...

even very long lasting individual soul (small s) are created from an Ocean of Soul/Source...(large S) thus an individual of light returns to an Ocean of light.  (where it can no longer be found as an individual when joining the Ocean which it never really left)

Edited by old3bob

11 minutes ago, old3bob said:

those created parts you mention are not the "true self" but working together may serve the uncreated, deathless true self...

I was referring to our "internal family system"/IFS.

I don't know know anything about a deathless true self, nor do I believe much survives the process of death as far as our acquired identities are concerned.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

I was referring to our "internal family system"/IFS.

I don't know know anything about a deathless true self, nor do I believe much survives the process of death as far as our acquired identities are concerned.

when death dies it is known...uncovered if you will

1 hour ago, snowymountains said:

Oy…we could back and forth for infinite pages trying to describe something that can’t be described. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keith108 said:

... something that can’t be described …

That’s your opinion. :P

8 minutes ago, Keith108 said:

Oy…we could back and forth for infinite pages trying to describe something that can’t be described. 

A self / no-self discussion is never ending 😁

The IFS point of view though is a practical.

I gather you're referring to something like Bankei's Unborn, from your phrasing but still both the Unborn and the "Born"(TM 😁) are there and neither is going away, they can only be integrated.

2 minutes ago, snowymountains said:

A self / no-self discussion is never ending 😁

The IFS point of view though is a practical.

I gather you're referring to something like Bankei's Unborn, from your phrasing but still both the Unborn and the "Born"(TM 😁) are there and neither is going away, they can only be integrated.

I think a common misunderstanding is that the Buddha taught that there is no self.

What he actually taught is that the five aggregates are not self. 

Just now, Maddie said:

I think a common misunderstanding is that the Buddha taught that there is no self.

What he actually taught is that the five aggregates are not self. 

There's no mention of the IFS in the Pali Canon ( another thing missing, ooops 😁 ), but these processes are meant to be observed and not considered a self, they're part of the aggregates from that POV.

I'd say it's good to understand there are distinct mental processes in us but not go as far as saying these are not part of self.

1 minute ago, snowymountains said:

There's no mention of the IFS in the Pali Canon ( another thing missing, ooops 😁 ), but these processes are meant to be observed and not considered a self, they're part of the aggregates from that POV.

I'd say it's good to understand there are distinct mental processes in us but not go as far as saying these are not part of self.

IFS?

1 minute ago, snowymountains said:

Internal family system 

Can you elaborate please?

1 hour ago, snowymountains said:

A self / no-self discussion is never ending …

I’m done in 6 words: I know I have a self.  :)

Obviously if you’re not in touch with yourself, then you can endlessly make up theories about it existing or not.

Edited by Cobie