Jox

Breath % in BFP meditations

Bak Fu Pai meditations have a breath % sequences, for each meditation different breath % sequence. Right? There probably is/are the core formula/s behind different breath % formulas for various meditations? Anyone? 

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

The breath sequencing formulas can't be reverse engineered and each of them are linked to specific qigong movements.

Just my opinion, but these can't be grokked without transmitted tradition or very high level of yogic accomplishment.

• Like 1

I seem to recall I heard him mention (in one of his videos) that he was taught directly to do this breathing by observation (emulating what his teacher was doing by watching and listening)  and he converted them to percentages so it would be easier to transmit them.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sahaja said:

I seem to recall I heard him mention (in one of his videos) that he was taught directly to do this breathing by observation (emulating what his teacher was doing by watching and listening)  and he converted them to percentages so it would be easier to transmit them.

This is how GM Doo Wai learned the breath sequencing as it had been traditional for many generations.

GMDW eventually became so skillful that he crafted correct breath sequencing formulas to any new martial styles that he didn't inherit from his father. From Sifu Terry Dunn's writings we can see that Eight Sections of Energy Combined (Bot Dim Gum in Cantonese) is one of these.

As a closure, I want to remind everybody that Sifu Terry has brought up several times that it's dangerous to create breathing formulas on your own because it might access unhealthy energies. He also shared a personal account about Flying Phoenix advanced level that doing the movements wrong even by accident can also induce a real energy injury. Please take care and don't waste your time on yogic skills that go beyond your level.

Edited by senseless virtue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, senseless virtue said:

This is how GM Doo Wai learned the breath sequencing as it had been traditional for many generations.

GMDW eventually became so skillful that he crafted correct breath sequencing formulas to any new martial styles that he didn't inherit from his father. From Sifu Terry Dunn's writings we can see that Eight Sections of Energy Combined (Bot Dim Gum in Cantonese) is one of these.

As a closure, I want to remind everybody that Sifu Terry has brought up several times that it's dangerous to create breathing formulas on your own because it might access unhealthy energies. He also shared a personal account about Flying Phoenix advanced level that doing the movements wrong even by accident can also induce a real energy injury. Please take care and don't waste your time on yogic skills that go beyond your level.

When you say unhealthy energies what specifically are you referring to? What makes them different from healthy energies?
 The yogis talk about pranayama being approached like taming wild animals (gradually, thoughtfully, naturally) but my understanding is they are generally referring to avoiding forced holding of the  breath or forcing breath rhythms or any forcing of breathing practices. They say that forcing things or imposing things usually carries with it a price, often one you don’t want to have to pay. Is this what you are referring to? 

10 minutes ago, Sahaja said:

When you say unhealthy energies what specifically are you referring to? What makes them different from healthy energies?

This should be pretty obvious considering we talk about martial arts.

Martial energy is meant for killing human beings. Many of the advanced Bok Fu Pai meditations and their breath sequences activate that capacity.

I think you should go ask Sifu Terry Dunn or search the Flying Phoenix discussion thread if you still find my explanation hard to grasp. Sifu Terry has made numerous references to the fighting capacity of the GMDW meditative arts.

• Like 1

So I think you are saying that people might accidentally find some secret combination of breath, practice it enough, exactly enough to get some killing skills (like dim mak?) they won’t know how or be unable to handle and might accidentally or purposefully hurt or kill someone. However  the more advanced students can practice with this energy because they know how to handle it in an appropriate way.

so it sounds like energy is energy. It’s how it’s used that makes it healthy or unhealthy. 

Depends on whether it’s healthy or unhealthy water.

Fear of something without being able to name what it is or why it should be feared seems pretty unhealthy to me.

This idea came during meditation, lol ...

The breath % sequences or formulas activate specific frequency or state of consciousness. What, if the breath % actually activates chakras in a specific sequence? I did a diagram! Maybe like this, maybe vice versa, an approximation, or nothing of this ...

What do you think?

Breath %_1.jpg

Edited by Jox

On 12/28/2023 at 3:06 AM, Jox said:

Bak Fu Pai meditations have a breath % sequences, for each meditation different breath % sequence. Right? There probably is/are the core formula/s behind different breath % formulas for various meditations? Anyone? 

IMO Breathing should be just inhale and exhale with a little gap in between. It is a matter of the amount of oxygen intake that affects the human body. Alternating the breathing sequences should not have any beneficial influences. It might do less more harm than good. Why make it so complicated to distract oneself in focus?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jox said:

The breath % sequences or formulas activate specific frequency or state of consciousness. What, if the breath % actually activates chakras in a specific sequence? I did a diagram! Maybe like this, maybe vice versa, an approximation, or nothing of this ...

What do you think?

Breath %_1.jpg

You should ask @zen-bear about it, he will be able to explain better than us.

• Like 1

On the end of the day, the question maybe actually not be importatant.

Nevertheless, as simple as it is, no one does not know to explain the biopsychologically mehanics behind these breath % sequences. Just saying.

• Like 1

On 29.12.2023 at 7:27 PM, Jox said:

What do you think?

Breath %_1.jpg

If it were that simple there would not be specific static or moving meditations linked to each breathing sequence. 

For example monk gazing at moon can also be done with eyes closed using another breathing sequence from level 17. How to explain it? No idea 😊

Edited by johndoe2012
  • Like 2

There's also the fact that other systems use breathing sequences also, eg Bak fu Sunn yee gong. A breathing sequence can look like a fp breathing sequence but the energy will be something different. 

Very mysterious 😊

• Like 1