Sanity Check

Moon Tide analogy to Qi

As far as I know, qi development follows a course where sensory perception increases proportionally to the amount of qi a person generates and amasses.

Having more qi increases sensitivity. The way that having a larger satellite dish makes it easier to detect signals from space.

There could be a good analogy for this in the moon and tides as observed by science.

Oceans have tides, influenced by the orbit of the moon.

In some cases the difference in low tide and high tide can be 12 to 20 feet difference.

While lakes, rivers, ponds and smaller bodies of water are not perceivably influenced by the moon's gravitational forces.

Could be an interesting train of thought for those who enjoy deducing puzzles present in nature.

Edited by Sanity Check
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

As far as I know, qi development follows a course where sensory perception increases proportionally to the amount of qi a person generates and amasses.

Having more qi increases sensitivity. The way that having a larger satellite dish makes it easier to detect signals from space.

There could be a good analogy for this in the moon and tides as observed by science.

In some cases the difference in low tide and high tide can be 12 to 20 feet difference.

While lakes, rivers, ponds and smaller bodies of water are not perceivably influenced by the moon's gravitational forces.

Could be an interesting train of thought for those who enjoy deducing puzzles present in nature.

In the book white moon on the mountain peak Damo said in the beginning of neigong training a person shouldn't meditate near the river, Lake etc . By the way you started a interesting thread 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:17 AM, Chang dao ling said:

In the book white moon on the mountain peak Damo said in the beginning of neigong training a person shouldn't meditate near the river, Lake etc . By the way you started a interesting thread 

Curious, did he say why not?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, papasaturn said:

Curious, did he say why not?

I remember listening to a Scholar Sage Podcast a few years ago where DM talked about practicing near a body of water, that it's not good for when you need to build up and store qi, as some of whatever you generate is going to get absorbed right into all that water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Nintendao said:

I remember listening to a Scholar Sage Podcast a few years ago where DM talked about practicing near a body of water, that it's not good for when you need to build up and store qi, as some of whatever you generate is going to get absorbed right into all that water.

I swear there’s many videos of him practicing right next to a swimming pool

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

I had the same though!

• Like 1

Ahhhhh .... but was it low or high tide in the swimming pool   ? 

( see the OP ) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

Maybe he reached a level which makes him immune to water bodies?

• Like 1

I am not a scientist but I believe tides are a function of the size of the body of water. Lakes don’t have meaningful tides because they are too small to notice the effect - I think the biggest lakes (e.g. Great Lakes)  have measurable ones but they are only a couple of centimeters and are dwarfed when compared with effects of the wind. 

In both the Nath lineage of yoga and some Daoist internal arts there are charts showing the relationship between the phases of the moon and energy in the body. Interesting both have a relationship between the top of the head and full moon. Direction of the energy movement from point to point  during waxing and waning and many of the points are in common. Naths utilize this knowledge in their yoga practice.  There are also some practices that utilize this knowledge in Daoist internal arts (e.g. full moon practice). 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 12:12 PM, Sanity Check said:

While more qi does enable many things, I think a very important element isthe ability to soak the awareness into the body which enables one to both perceive and use qi more accurately  as well as make more qi.  I remember when I was young studying martial arts there was a lot of qi generated but my ability to internally connect with it and direct it was quite limited, more of an external application. Now more recently my practices have opened up the internal world much more through absorption of the awareness in the body (and applying the Yi Jin Jing principles) I think Freeform used to refer to the power of the absorption of awareness into the body in some of his posts and it certainly has been my experience. I think this changes one’s practice whether one is doing qi gong or martial arts or yoga. Perhaps someday this will evolve from absorption of awareness in the body to the body absorbed into awareness - this is where the game changes dramatically or so I’m told and takes one beyond regular qi to original qi.  My understanding is that this requires releasing all intention, conscious or otherwise. Not an easy thing to do. 

• Like 2