NaturaNaturans

History If the trinity

13 hours ago, Cobie said:

In the lyrics: “I gave her my heart but she wanted my soul“

What does that mean?

a control freak wanting to rule over another soul, in my interpretation.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Maddie said:

Huh I thought that was a Bob Dylan song?

it is as far as I know, they just sang it...

I like trig, and wonder if there is some kind of correlation of  trig for the the soul?

download.png.cbf08f744f1b3476aa9a24bc668db929.png

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 1

"The Law of Three is described by Gurdjieff as “the second fundamental cosmic law”. This law states that every whole phenomenon is composed of three separate sources, which are Active, Passive and Reconciling or Neutral. This law applies to everything in the universe and humanity, as well as all the structures and processes. The Three Centers in a human, which Gurdjieff said were the Intellectual Centre, the Emotional Centre and the Moving Centre, are an expression of the law of three. Gurdjieff taught his students to think of the law of three forces as essential to transforming the energy of thehuman being. The process of transformation requires the three actions of affirmation, denial and reconciliation"

• Like 1

In nondual saiva Tantra many things come in threes (particularly in the Trika sect)  - siva/sakti/nara (Nara is man)   Knower,knowing, known.    Para/apara/aparaapara (three goddesses) abheda/bheda/bhedaabheda and advaita/dvaita/visistadvaita - nondual/dual/dualnondual , iccha/jnana/kriya - powers of will, knowledge and action,  tripura - 3 cities or three goddesses in one, 3 upayas  or yogic methods -gross/subtle/highest

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, old3bob said:

I like trig, and wonder if there is some kind of correlation of  trig for the the soul?

The cosine of your soul is the sign of the angle of your intersection with Brahman.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zhongyongdaoist said:

My favorite Trinity is the Three Pure Ones, you can read about them in Wikipedia article linked below:

The Pure Ones

There are many pictures of them on the internet, such as the pretty ones below:

th?id=OIP.nunCDGlY_kJmNTppZX5UCgHaEK%26p

As to the notion that this type of practice is a religion, I have said this elsewhere:

" and its structure would be better modeled by something like Freemasonry.  "

- Ahh Donald , I can often rely on you to give me my next thing to 'look into '  , which often 'bumps me up a level '  

<  courteous bow >

many years back , a guy, senior, in the group I was in ( but  in the city ) was also into a 'kung fu school'  - I knew it was more than that though .  A couple of times he referred to 'The Chinese Masons ' , a term I never heard before . I didnt know if he meant Chinese people that where actually Freemasons ,  or it was term he used for something else .

You bring up an interesting point about the label 'religion' being applied by westerners .   I have written some stuff on this , focused on past history ; many societies  saw no such distinction , there was no 'religion' as such, by modern definition, basically ( I won't go into it here ) as they had no ' religious / secular ' divisions .

Even the famous Freemason author J. S. M. Ward would agree with this assessment and a treatment of it such is he gave the Hung Society as he gave in his three volume account of its rites and teachings.  Those who are interested can follow the links below to nice PDFs.  Personally, I have a first edition signed by the author, but these PDF are very useful for study.

Volume One

Volume Two

Volume Three

You can read about the history of the Hung Society on Wikipedia here:

Tiandihui

I am quite aware of the organization's unsavory later history, but the above information is provided here as an example of how Ritual Daoism should be regarded and treated in my opinion.

Thank you .

And... you have done it again ;   When I opened this thread this morning  I thought .... When did this trinity concept enter Christianity ? I am sure Jesus didn't invent that ... a ' Father' perhaps , talk of 'spirit' perhaps .... but I was going to ask when it entered Christian theology .... but no need now .

Now for a little historical background on the development of the Trinity concept in Chistianity, which, as will probably surprise many people has its origin in Plato, not the Hebrew Old Testament, as is made clear by the following quoted from the Stanford Encyclopedia article on the development of Trinitarian doctrine:

The whole discussion from which the above is taken, is interesting.

I could post more, but this post is long enough already.  I hope that the above material is interesting and helpful.

Yes, thanks again .

ZYD

9 hours ago, old3bob said:

Yes, but with some different  'notations '  ;

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmaat.sofiatopia.org%2Fitrine.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4ecf6bc67fa296cd51c7f66d96c0cc564e3c239bb5448348434f7252c82319e7&ipo=images

Just now, Nungali said:

... so me days a picture will just not take to posting ??? :(

I've noticed that if I try to post a picture from my phone it doesn't work and I have to use my computer.

It's been a long while since i've perceived the world in terms of duality.

Everywhere i peer among the manifest, the duality nigh on instantly reveals/shifts into triad... and the triad, the resultant myriad.

yet always arising from one source.

awareness...

endlessly fascinating

• Like 3

9 hours ago, old3bob said:

"The Law of Three is described by Gurdjieff as “the second fundamental cosmic law”. This law states that every whole phenomenon is composed of three separate sources, which are Active, Passive and Reconciling or Neutral. This law applies to everything in the universe and humanity, as well as all the structures and processes. The Three Centers in a human, which Gurdjieff said were the Intellectual Centre, the Emotional Centre and the Moving Centre, are an expression of the law of three. Gurdjieff taught his students to think of the law of three forces as essential to transforming the energy of thehuman being. The process of transformation requires the three actions of affirmation, denial and reconciliation"

yep, that is where my paper  is heading .

One interesting aspect  in managing ourselves  internally , or externally in relationships is via the metaphor of the inner  planets representing personal aspects of the  psyche ;  Mars Venus and Mercury  :  active passive and reconciling .  if you get caught up in a Mars / Venus issue you  may never solve it  when you are ON that base line ;

Mars -------------------------------------  Venus ,  it could be endless conflictual ping-pong .    You need to 'rise above , observe both extremes , and  respond , rather then react ,  from the position of

Mercury

^

Mars ---------------------------------------------Venus

The outer planets have a similar dynamic in the 'transpersonal' aspect .

I have not seen the Gurdjieff view on this before ... it seems we came to the same conclusions .  Did he also realize how the primal triad forms a fourth principle ?

There are many 'three centers or aspects' in the person  including  fire, water , air, earth : the nervous systems, the circulatory systems, the respiratory systems and the bones muscles tendons etc .

I like this :  " affirmation, denial and reconciliation" .. a fe systemns teach to  'balance opposites'  ... but then what ?

reconcile ... of course  .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sahaja said:

In nondual saiva Tantra many things come in threes (particularly in the Trika sect)  - siva/sakti/nara (Nara is man)   Knower,knowing, known.    Para/apara/aparaapara (three goddesses) abheda/bheda/bhedaabheda and advaita/dvaita/visistadvaita - nondual/dual/dualnondual , iccha/jnana/kriya - powers of will, knowledge and action,  tripura - 3 cities or three goddesses in one, 3 upayas  or yogic methods -gross/subtle/highest

I think we can start to see beyond similarities now ... all different systems have a way of seeing and working with the 'law of three'

6 hours ago, steve said:

The cosine of your soul is the sign of the angle of your intersection with Brahman.

OR

Your Sahu is the result of the angle of difference between Ka and Ba    ;) 

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnrich.maths.org%2Fcontent%2Fid%2F6843%2FEgyptian%20DEcan.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b4eaf29285bfb607973da2dd500e598249d0282e0a0b9955ec54eeee8e07cfbc&ipo=images

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

first song on my playlist when my wife told me she was pregnant with our son...

Oh ... another trinity

Momma Dadda Bubba 

20 minutes ago, Maddie said:

I've noticed that if I try to post a picture from my phone it doesn't work and I have to use my computer.

I always use a laptop .... some days images just go sproing ! and appear , other days

" and the wheel on the computer goes round and round ... round and round 

- which is a bummer as I am a visual communication type    :( 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

It's been a long while since i've perceived the world in terms of duality.

Everywhere i peer among the manifest, the duality nigh on instantly reveals/shifts into triad... and the triad, the resultant myriad.

yet always arising from one source.

awareness...

endlessly fascinating

Fuuny that  ... that seems exactly what the first part of  CH 42 is telling us   ;) 

53 minutes ago, Nungali said:

yep, that is where my paper  is heading .

One interesting aspect  in managing ourselves  internally , or externally in relationships is via the metaphor of the inner  planets representing personal aspects of the  psyche ;  Mars Venus and Mercury  :  active passive and reconciling .  if you get caught up in a Mars / Venus issue you  may never solve it  when you are ON that base line ;

Mars -------------------------------------  Venus ,  it could be endless conflictual ping-pong .    You need to 'rise above , observe both extremes , and  respond , rather then react ,  from the position of

Mercury

^

Mars ---------------------------------------------Venus

The outer planets have a similar dynamic in the 'transpersonal' aspect .

I have not seen the Gurdjieff view on this before ... it seems we came to the same conclusions .  Did he also realize how the primal triad forms a fourth principle ?

There are many 'three centers or aspects' in the person  including  fire, water , air, earth : the nervous systems, the circulatory systems, the respiratory systems and the bones muscles tendons etc .

I like this :  " affirmation, denial and reconciliation" .. a fe systemns teach to  'balance opposites'  ... but then what ?

reconcile ... of course  .

If you have not read about the "4th way's fragments" on "law of seven" that is also very revealing and explanatory... for a lot of or for most everything going on.  (for ups and downs and for possible progress; also beware that the 4th way at various times and places got caught up in several cults)

Edited by old3bob