thelerner

Real Little Siddhis

no matter how long i stretch going into full lotus always hurts my knees (not immediately it happens after).

max from kunlun said at one point that full-lotus was not meant for westerners, that our frame is different and therefore it can be detrimental to force it. I have this problem as well, I think my legs are just too long...

max from kunlun said at one point that full-lotus was not meant for westerners, that our frame is different and therefore it can be detrimental to force it. I have this problem as well, I think my legs are just too long...

It actually is only good if you want to bring energy up. Its good for sublimation of energy. It is not good for rooting nor being "here now" type of practice. It basically opens the nadis that go straight to Ajna Chakra. It is not a practice I do anymore cause I actually like leaving the channels in my legs un-cut or unimpaired. Lotus pose shuts down the minor chakras and legs and sublimates the energy to Ajna.

I would not recommend it to anyone who has to pay bills, a mortgage, take care of a family, etc

Focus more on standing practices or sitting like an egyptian in chair (Glenn's favorite pose).

Also Lotus takes about 5 years to master. But its a useless pose in the long run. It weakens the knees over stretches your ligaments

so if you are a martial artist an you haven't been traning lotus since child hood you might aswell stop if you want healthy knees till very old age.

Real lotus pose is to be done in higher bodies not something you need to do in physical.

If having weak minor chakras in your legs & being un rooted is you bag off tea then go for it .

Peace

Santiago

Edited by Vajrasattva

Santiago,

That makes alot of sense also what postures does the Egyptians use in a chair or what type of visualizations, chants they do?

Can you explain more about Egyptian spiritual practices and energy work?

regards

WYG

It actually is only good if you want to bring energy up. Its good for sublimation of energy. It is not good for rooting nor being "here now" type of practice. It basically opens the nadis that go straight to Ajna Chakra. It is not a practice I do anymore cause I actually like leaving the channels in my legs un-cut or unimpaired. Lotus pose shuts down the minor chakras and legs and sublimates the energy to Ajna.

I would not recommend it to anyone who has to pay bills, a mortgage, take care of a family, etc

Focus more on standing practices or sitting like an egyptian in chair (Glenn's favorite pose).

Also Lotus takes about 5 years to master. But its a useless pose in the long run. It weakens the knees over stretches your ligaments

so if you are a martial artist an you haven't been traning lotus since child hood you might aswell stop if you want healthy knees till very old age.

Real lotus pose is to be done in higher bodies not something you need to do in physical.

If having weak minor chakras in your legs & being un rooted is you bag off tea then go for it .

Peace

Santiago

Thank you. Glad to have some support on this issue. :D

Peace

Santiago

For 15 years I listened to the VERY VERY experienced people telling me that full lotus was not good, you will loose your grounding and that is bad, they said. And of course I believed them, they where a lot more experienced, spiritual, energetic insightful and wiser than me, until I tried it myself.

As for ungroundedness and full lotus I would say there are so many meditative techniques that are so much worse than full lotus. Like astral travel, any kind of beaming, or rising to higher dimensions, focusing too much on the third eye, etc etc. These techniques are ungrounding. Full lotus is not ungrounding. It only depends on what meditative techniques you use while you are in full lotus.

It could also feel like it is ungrounding if you leg channels arent open. Then you will feel pain, and when you feel pain the consciousness will try to leave the body. But if your leg channels are completely open, then this is not a problem. Full lotus does not cut the leg channels, it shows you they are not really open.

To do full lotus too much and too quickly is damaging. And I guess the people who told me it was bad actually tried to learn it too quickly and therefore got the idea that it was bad and ungrounding. If you do it correctly it is very very special. Nothing can compare. Nowdays, now that Ive learned it, there is nothing I want more than to master it. It is such a great help in my meditation.

But we dont NEED it. Only those with the dedication, will and interest in learning it should do it because it is very demanding. But full lotus is really worth it if you ask me.

Total BS. Body Geometry. Internal levers arte ion the pelvis. Early conditioning plays a part, gradual progress produces core results. Start with opening the hips outwards with butterflys. Then Pigion and King Pigion. Holding the Baby is a good one as well, cradling the foreleg in the arms and rocking it back and forth. Downward facing butterflys working towards getting the hips flat on the ground, feet together, legs in a diamond shape.

After the hips begin to open, work into half lotus, very gradually, start w/ putting the feet on top of each other, and pressing the knees down so the hips "open", very gradual and with the breath. Then like a sliding frame, gradually work up the leg. When you can begin to line up the forelegs on top of each other, work towards sliding the toes to behind the knee. After this there is the next goal of knee to hip. The ultimate goal being to work the feet into the crooks of the hips and "bind" the position by crossing arms behind the back and gripping the big toes.

Total BS.

I totally agree with you!

Max also said that the ones doing Kunlun are BEYOND full lotus....ehe he....

And visualizing full lotus in the bodies of higher dimensions...? Thats lazy....

I remember Dao Zhen wrote somewhere that he usually sits half lotus. But when he told this to his daoist friend, he was told "thats lazy"!

For 15 years I listened to the VERY VERY experienced people telling me that full lotus was not good, you will loose your grounding and that is bad, they said. And of course I believed them, they where a lot more experienced, spiritual, energetic insightful and wiser than me, until I tried it myself.

As for ungroundedness and full lotus I would say there are so many meditative techniques that are so much worse than full lotus. Like astral travel, any kind of beaming, or rising to higher dimensions, focusing too much on the third eye, etc etc. These techniques are ungrounding. Full lotus is not ungrounding. It only depends on what meditative techniques you use while you are in full lotus.

It could also feel like it is ungrounding if you leg channels arent open. Then you will feel pain, and when you feel pain the consciousness will try to leave the body. But if your leg channels are completely open, then this is not a problem. Full lotus does not cut the leg channels, it shows you they are not really open.

To do full lotus too much and too quickly is damaging. And I guess the people who told me it was bad actually tried to learn it too quickly and therefore got the idea that it was bad and ungrounding. If you do it correctly it is very very special. Nothing can compare. Nowdays, now that Ive learned it, there is nothing I want more than to master it. It is such a great help in my meditation.

But we dont NEED it. Only those with the dedication, will and interest in learning it should do it because it is very demanding. But full lotus is really worth it if you ask me.

I agree wholeheartly :)

It could also feel like it is ungrounding if you leg channels arent open. Then you will feel pain, and when you feel pain the consciousness will try to leave the body. But if your leg channels are completely open, then this is not a problem.

Agreed. But getting leg channels really open is at least five years' work, which many people think they've done and haven't. Physical flexing to make it painless is skirting the issue, imo.

Not denying that full lotus is very balanced and stable and potentially useful, lest I seem obsessive. :)

How do you know if you have?

Agreed. But getting leg channels really open is at least five years' work, which many people think they've done and haven't.

Agreed. But getting leg channels really open is at least five years' work, which many people think they've done and haven't. Physical flexing to make it painless is skirting the issue, imo.

Similar to the standing stake practices systematically flexing areas were tension is experienced/accumulated. Just part of the 'process' towards 'sung'. Often times thoughts will rise in parallel w/ the posture. Empti mind, empti posture, poised, ready, yet uncommitted. A tiger readying to pounce, a dragon coiling.

How do you know if you have?

Here is what I experienced with this: If the legs are stretched out properly the hurt will not happen as bad, but if it is still there after that initial 'hurt' (which i assume is a kind of ache?) the legs will eventually go numb, eventually no hurt, just the legs go numb, then the numb takes longer to onset. I don't know if the numb will ever not set in as it's a bound position. There is most certainly a geometrical significance to the position as your core doesn't have to work the same once you bind it. The breath is different, easier, if you will, the lower back and abs don't have to work as hard to 'support' the posture, rather the posture is almost 'floated' by the action of breathing when the spine is aligned. Also sitting on a small pillow will put an angle under the tail bone slightly and allow a little more slack in the low back and abs, and can make vertical alignment 'feel' easier... good fortune to your training. Experiment and find what works.

Edited by Spectrum