Hannes

Happy Solstice 2023

It is that time of year again when the day is long and the sun reaches its zenith.

When we look at our current lives, and all the problems we face, remember that for millennia eyes have watched the skies and observed this phenomena.

Countless eyes observed,

countless lives been lived,

countless years go by,

the ticking of the clock

as the earth spins on.

Enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

and down south, it's deep Winter.

YinYang perpetually flowing, oscillating, ever shifting towards balance

without ever achieving complete balance

• Like 3

So as to escape   (  solstice and  doubling as my birthday ... and I KNOW what trouble can arise on this day ... from past experience ... so I told everyone to keep away  ) -  for the day I zoomed off out to the coast . On the way there ,  I ran into a distraught friend , " This and that happened to me .... I got injured  .... my boyfriend doesnt care , boo-hoo , he hasnt even given me a hug for weeks  and .....    "

Hmmm ... seems like this day can be rather intense for others too  . So I gave her big hugs, kidnapped her and took her  out to the coast with me ,  we stood up on the headland  and watched pods of whales pass by going up the coast , doing their route from Antarctica to beyond the Great Barrier Reef , as they do here in winter . There is something rather magnificent and special about seeing whales . A few others there where enjoying the experience too .  An old guy approached us  and asked if we wanted to look through his binoculars. 

Locally, its a great spot for it ,  there is an eastern intrusion of the coast , a few near shore islands  and near shore ocean currents that  divert the whales close to shore at this section .

It might seem a strange solsticial subject,  I know most people north may think of snow, rain and such for their winter solstice , but around here , its whales .  :) 

Annual Humpback Whale Migration - East Coast Australia | Ocean Life ...

Humpback whales put on a glorious display in Sydney Harbour as they ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

many years ago I was out surfing when a grey whale came close by, no problemo just stay well clear of their tail fin!

also surfing when dolphins came close by was pretty common and a good feeling since they kept sharks away!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old3bob said:

many years ago I was out surfing when a grey whale came close by, no problemo just stay well clear of their tail fin!

also surfing when dolphins came close by was pretty common and a good feeling since they kept sharks away!

I was watching a dive film once ,  a scuba guy came up behind a slow whale  and , I guess he could not resist  getting hold of the end of the tail fin . Immediately the whale pulled its tail away from laterally  and very fast . Visibility was not high , the tail soon faded out into the distance ..... then came flashing back like a freight train - nearly took the guys head off, just missed him.  I suppose the whale felt something take hold, and since it didnt know the guy was there  must have assumed it was some annoyance .... like we would swat at a mosquito or something similar .  Dont touch without introducing yourself first .  ;) 

Another time, my elder brother came home looking like he had seen a ghost .  He used to go out in the ocean crazily fishing in this small undersized boat . Apparently a whale had surfaced near them , slowly cruised by, rolled so its eye was  above the surface  and he was eye to eye with it , he said, about as big as a dinner plate ,   the eye  stayed fixed on them turning as the body went past.  He reckoned it was close enough to touch with an oar , then it just slid under and kept going .

I saw that 'ghost dolphins'  footage  the other night .... awesome !

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.M1SY2YEHfe7D94x20yuqlwHaEK%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=32ec807201f4c4be062a99bee088958d386801b2de4cdd24d1bf1a991258ca60&ipo=images

• Like 1