Chang dao ling

What are Buddha 's teaching on householders

On 3/27/2023 at 6:30 AM, Chang dao ling said:

What are Buddha 's teaching on householders. I also want know which heaven a good householders go after their death according to Buddhism 

I’ve never heard a Bön or Buddhist teaching that distinguishes householders from monastics in terms of fruition of practice. I’m not very scholarly so something like that could certainly exist.

• Like 2

At its most basic householders should follow the five precepts and earn merit with generosity.

• Like 2

Enlightenment does not see a difference between monastics and householders. I have met enlightened teachers from both. 

If you want to know which realm you will next incarnate in, look at how things are for you in this moment. Adjust your life accordingly. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, old3bob said:

"enlightenment" or the Spirit that is in all beings does not see a difference in any being for that matter...but it is  very obvious that the paths and dharma for householders and renunciates are very different besides basic or common ground precepts or practices!  A monk or nun in a monastery does not have a spouse and 6 kids to support with a 9-5 job (or longer for whatever type of work they do) in the world along with a private house to tend to and whatever involvement they may have in the mundane or private affairs of their extended family, neighbors and local community for things like local infrastructure or dozens of other  aspects of everyday living as a married householder often with children to care for and raise.  (thus taking close to 24/7 )

The path for EVERY person is different, monastic or householder. Being a monastic is no fast lane to an uncomplicated life, as anyone who knows monastics or has lived monastically will tell you. Interpersonal relationships where almost nothing is "owned" tends to mean that ownership moves to assigned tasks, methodologies, teachings, teachers, space, food, ANYTHING. Small disagreements and perceived sleights become inflated. I've seen people argue about how to feed the chickens and when or not a broom was put away right side up or upside down. It's no picnic.

Practice is the thing that needs to happen 24/7. Practices don't live in a vacuum separate from your "life". Everything you do can be done from the perspective of a practice, including sleep. How you do your job or run your married household and raise your kids IS the practice. It is adopting a different frame of reference and behavior that makes this possible. 

Life is the path. Difficulty with life shows you where you have attachment and aversion that builds "self", and points out where you have work to do and karma to clear. Every interaction in the world is an opportunity to adjust how you respond. How you respond is what dictates the karma you do (or don't) accumulate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, old3bob said:

mostly sounds to me like a side stepping the specific points i brought up

OR I could be just expanding on some of the points you made in agreement with you. :)

In Zen and the Tibetan traditions of Buddhism, my experience is that the experience of the paths will be different, yes, but the teachings and eventual realization are the same. My experience is that people often traditionally opt for one of the other, but in the West many will oscillate between the two, as I have.

4 hours ago, old3bob said:

in many Hindu traditions in India older householders move to renunciate life after having fulfilled all their responsibilities as a householder.

Yes. It is called " Vanaprastha "

• Thanks 1

There are many suttas directed towards lay people / householders, and there are compilations of such that can be found via Google or at Dhammawheel 

As some of the others have shared here, Buddha talks about the 5 precepts, as well as observing the 8 precepts on certain days and setting aside that day to practice meditation, the Buddha also shared a lot on how lay people should lead their lives essentially, how they are to interact with family, wife, husband, friends, workers etc. How they should spend one's wealth as well as earn it righteously so and so forth.

One sutta that springs to mind that is interesting is when one of the Buddha's lay followers was ill and possibly close to death, the Buddha sends one of his disciples to comfort and teach the Dhamma to him and the lay follower near the end says (paraphrasing) "Wow, I have never heard such teachings before from the Buddha or the Sangha, please share this with the other lay followers as they will surely gain great benefit from it".

This sutta showed that there may have been a clear difference in what the Buddha taught and shared with his monastics and lay followers (which makes sense) 

In terms of the heavens, that is highly dependent on the merit and virtue accumulated by the lay practitioner as well as if they had achieved any meditative attainments (or realizations in their life time) as there are heavens that only one may be reborn into if they had managed to enter the meditative jhanas. Other heavens require doing more good deeds than bad, and I suppose the greater the good karma, the "higher" in the heavens one would go

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2023 at 6:30 AM, Chang dao ling said:

What are Buddha 's teaching on householders. I also want know which heaven a good householders go after their death according to Buddhism 

I thought the teachings on house holders is the same for everyone. Be good. Do good. Live a good life. Practice meditation. As to where the house holder goes, I did not know there were different heavens. From what I see here today, the sun shines on everyone, the good, the bad, and the indifferent, everyone. Just like the rain, it falls on who is there. Is there someone at Saint Peter's gate to judge one's merits and atrocities? Can sinners at the last minute repent and find entry to Heaven? Personally, I believe, the place you go to is the same. It is just how you experience it is different. That pretty much depends upon the person.

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

One thing I like about Buddhism is they didn't overly dwell on metaphysics, tending to be focused on here and now.   

Can't help thinking after-life theology is mostly about conjecture and control.  

• Like 1