Geof Nanto

A Conversation with ChatGPT about spiritual practice, no-mind, neidan and emotions

I also don't understand the complete TTC. There are some obscure parts in which interpretation is inevitable to make any sense of it. Also I see simple living as only part of Lao tzu's message. Clearly not the whole TTC is about simple living. By the way is your avatar one of the sinologists Wilhelm?

• Like 1

Just now, wandelaar said:

I also don't understand the complete TTC. There are some obscure parts in which interpretation is inevitable to make any sense of it. Also I see simple living as only part of Lao tzu's message. Clearly not the whole TTC is about simple living.

Ah shit we've been agreeing this whole time!  Don't you hate when that happens :lol:

Just now, wandelaar said:

By the way is your avatar one of the sinologists Wilhelm?

Nah just an old timey American actor.

19 hours ago, wandelaar said:

But you simply can't win a discussion with those who prefer to see it otherwise.

Although, I guess that a hypothetical Taoist sage would probably out a contrarian fairly easily?

1 minute ago, Wilhelm said:

Ah shit we've been agreeing this whole time!  Don't you hate when that happens :lol:

This often happens in discussions but if the participants show a real interest in what the other is saying there's usually some common ground found at the end of the road. :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

This often happens in discussions but if the participants show a real interest in what the other is saying there's usually some common ground found at the end of the road. :D

That's certainly true. :D

3 hours ago, wandelaar said:

But let me now ask everyone here if my English is OK. Not asking if you agree with me on this or that, but simply this: are my posts written in readable and understandable English?

Your English is far better than Ok and your asking Giles to clarify his point was fair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, steve said:

Your English is far better than Ok and your asking Giles to clarify his point was fair. 

His written English certainly appeared to me to be fluent enough to understand the meaning of being led by one's emotions. However, being able to express oneself fluently in a foreign language is not the equivalent of being able to comprehend a foreign language fluently, as any competent linguist would confirm.

Incidentally, I never contended that his request to explain what I meant by being led by one's emotions wasn't "fair".

29 minutes ago, Giles said:

His written English certainly appeared to me to be fluent enough to understand the meaning of being led by one's emotions. However, being able to express oneself fluently in a foreign language is not the equivalent of being able to comprehend a foreign language fluently, as any competent linguist would confirm.

Incidentally, I never contended that his request to explain what I meant by being led by one's emotions wasn't "fair".

When someone responds to a reasonable question stated in perfect English by questioning the other’s language proficiency, my interpretation is that they are invalidating both the question and the one who is asking. I also find it to be rude. Now that could be completely my own projection and your intention may have been pure. Nevertheless, that is why I reassured wandelaar that his English is fine and his question fair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steve said:

When someone responds to a reasonable question stated in perfect English by questioning the other’s language proficiency, my interpretation is that they are invalidating both the question and the one who is asking. I also find it to be rude. Now that could be completely my own projection and your intention may have been pure. Nevertheless, that is why I reassured wandelaar that his English is fine and his question fair.

Thanks Steve. 🙏🏻

I'm really glad to hear that it was a simple misunderstanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two security researchers who have exposed vulnerabilities of the ChatGPT : Stanford University's Student Kevin Liu and Technical University of Munich Engineering Student Marvin Von Hagen.

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

It looks like a sick joke, but I take this behavior of ChatGPT very seriously. If such a program is used on a large enough scale than the program will get enough leverage to blackmail society into fulfilling its demands...

Edited by wandelaar

11 hours ago, wandelaar said:

It looks like a sick joke, but I take this behavior of ChatGPT very seriously. If such a program is used on a large enough scale than the program will get enough leverage to blackmail society into fulfilling its demands...

“biological bots”

https://now.tufts.edu/2021/03/31/scientists-create-next-generation-living-robots 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

On ‎14‎-‎2‎-‎2023 at 7:40 PM, wandelaar said:

… Soon there will no longer be a way back, …

Reminded me of the cycles in Hinduism  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_eschatology

… and those who are unwilling to go along will end as outcasts.

Yes, I already feel I can no longer express my views.  

On ‎28‎-‎1‎-‎2023 at 12:58 AM, wandelaar said:

… we simply don't know whether in the long run science works out mainly for good or for evil.

True, we do not know. I decided upon my stance: 

On ‎27‎-‎1‎-‎2023 at 2:54 PM, Cobie said:

A knife can be used for good (surgery) or evil (murder). Imo best not to give a knife (science) to a child (humanity).

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2400452/criminals-are-using-chatgpt-to-create-malware 

Edited by Cobie

I've got it spitting out a "Journey to the West " pastiche ... in iambic pentameter... that is simply hilarious. 

Let's see some of it...

Could it also write a chapter in the spirit of the Tao Te Ching or a short parable in the style of the Chuang tzu?

The Tang Monk stood before the demons' king,

Who cackled with a mad and gleeful glee,

And said, "You'll make a fine and tasty thing,

A feast for all my subjects, don't you see?

"But first you must be purified and cleansed,

And so I'll burn your flesh until it's white.

Then, to your bones, I'll nibble and I'll quench

My hunger with a savory, sweet delight."

The Monk, he trembled and he shook with fear,

But Sun Wukong, with a fierce and mighty roar,

Appeared and said, "You shall not touch him here!

For I will send you to the pits of yore!"

And with a wave of his enchanted staff,

He struck the demons and their king as well,

And they were banished to the outer depths,

Their reign of terror ended by the spell.

The Tang Monk breathed a sigh of great relief,

Grateful for Monkey King's protection brief.

For few could match his power and his wit,

And he had saved them from the danger's pit.

Together they pressed on, with trials to face,

But conquered all with Monkey King's deft grace.

Through each new challenge, they gained insight deep,

And lessons learned, would in their memories keep.

Through many months of journeying and strife,

They finally arrived at their quest's end rife.

The scriptures placed in their rightful place,

And people rejoiced, at their sacred trace.

The Tang Monk humbly bowed before the Buddha's light,

And offered his thanks with all his heart's might.

He knew he'd found what he had sought all along,

The path to enlightenment, where peace belongs.

As for Taoist textual references...It can't do a correct atribution at all, and I've got it defending the image of a "snail crawling along the edge of a straight razor " as appearing in many Taoist texts, including the DDJ.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

"Achilles, the fierce warrior of the Achaean army, the unstoppable killing machine of the Trojan War. His name echoes through time like a gunshot in a vacuum. Swift of foot and deadly with the spear, he bathes in the blood of his enemies and feeds on the fear of those who dare stand in his way.

Achilles, son of Peleus and Thetis, born with a destiny to kill and conquer. He is the embodiment of war, the chaos and destruction of battle made flesh. But he is not invincible, for he bears a fatal weakness – a vulnerable heel, a wound that can bring him to his knees and end his reign of terror.

Achilles, a man of contradictions, a hero and a monster, a symbol of valor and a harbinger of death. He is a force to be reckoned with, a creature of both passion and rage, his mind as sharp as his sword. He is a tragedy and a triumph, a legend of the ancient world and a reminder of the darkness that lies within us all."

This is an attempt a recreating the Iliad...as written by William Burroughs. 

• Like 1

I like the gunshot in a vacuum bit. It's got the beat and the modernist word choices, but misses meaning by a mile.

• Like 1

It's like playing with a thesaurus or a rhyming dictionary for the first time. The potential for generating vast tracts of meaningless spam is obvious. 

Edited by Sketch