Takingcharge

What are the mechanics behind chanting?

Hey everybody,

so i saw that chun yi lin is doing some kind of thing where he and a group of  tibethan monks will do different chants twice a day fir 7 days. To bless in the  new year.

theyre doing a bunch 

-A prayer for all living bekngs

-diamond sutra

-heart sutra

-grand compassion sutra

-long gevity sutra

-medicine buddha sutra

-transforming all negative karma chant

so im wondering how do these work? Whats the mechanics behind them. 
how does a chant transform negative karma or open up uour heart centre etc

On 1/9/2023 at 7:10 AM, Takingcharge said:

Hey everybody,

so i saw that chun yi lin is doing some kind of thing where he and a group of  tibethan monks will do different chants twice a day fir 7 days. To bless in the  new year.

theyre doing a bunch 

-A prayer for all living bekngs

-diamond sutra

-heart sutra

-grand compassion sutra

-long gevity sutra

-medicine buddha sutra

-transforming all negative karma chant

so im wondering how do these work? Whats the mechanics behind them. 
how does a chant transform negative karma or open up uour heart centre etc

I have heard it said that only a fully enlightened Buddha really knows how chanting works.

With that being said there are some mantras that transform your karma be accelerating the working out of your bad karma faster and in the most gentle way possible. I can attest that when I have done these mantras that life gets very uncomfortable, but afterwards old patterns do seem to indeed change. As to how it works I have no idea.  

On 12-1-2023 at 4:10 PM, dmattwads said:

I have heard it said that only a fully enlightened Buddha really knows how chanting works.

With that being said there are some mantras that transform your karma be accelerating the working out of your bad karma faster and in the most gentle way possible. I can attest that when I have done these mantras that life gets very uncomfortable, but afterwards old patterns do seem to indeed change. As to how it works I have no idea.  

Interesting.. i just read online that deities are the power behind chanting. Well atleast some chants

Since the human energy system exists on many planes of Existence, it is possible for a refined human to propagate chants on various planes.

So the chant may:

- focus on a particular plane of Existence

- direct energy towards or away from a target entity/structure

- use frequencies/harmonics to produce particular changes

-  use intent to drive a process/relationship/outcome.

An obvious example of this is singing a baby to sleep - typically using etheric and emotional subplane substance.

The refined human may "sing" a new entity into existence.  Out-of-phase frequencies may take entities out of existence  if the human has sufficient authority.

Chants need not be physical sounds.

Edited by Lairg
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Takingcharge said:

Interesting.. i just read online that deities are the power behind chanting. Well atleast some chants

Yes that can be one explanation.

To me this is an interesting topic because even though I didn't expect things to evolve this way it seems that mantras have become my main practice. It really blows my mind how if you get the wrong mantra you can feel terrible and if you get the right mantra you can feel great.

I was taught a silent mantra that resonated in my chakras - a sequence from above my head down to the solar plexus

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lairg said:

… a sequence from above my head down to the solar plexus

Why stop there, why not go down to below the root chakra?

Edited by Cobie

The lower chakras may have complications.   For example the base chakra is open in women that have given birth naturally - connecting them to the Cosmos - but otherwise not open until first stage enlightenment.

For me a mantra has to resonate in all my chakras. A sequence from above my head down to below the root chakra, and up again. It’s an elevator, going up and down. :)

Edited by Cobie

On 1/14/2023 at 4:29 PM, Lairg said:

For example the base chakra is open in women that have given birth naturally - connecting them to the Cosmos - but otherwise not open until first stage enlightenment.

Just curious what you base this on?

On 1/14/2023 at 3:13 PM, Lairg said:

I was taught a silent mantra that resonated in my chakras - a sequence from above my head down to the solar plexus

Any chance you could share?

8 hours ago, dmattwads said:

Just curious what you base this on?

Observation of various women and men. 

My sample of caesarians is not great enough to be sure that it always leaves the base chakra unopened.  It was true for my mother.

Where the human female is a visitor to the galaxy and has not given birth naturally, it usually only takes a request to her higher identity to open the base chakra to the cosmos

Edited by Lairg

1 hour ago, EFreethought said:

Any chance you could share?

I learned in Transcendental Meditation when they used to give the advanced techniques.

There is some evidence that such mantras need to be passed through an appropriate lineage.  One school I knew of break-away TM teachers seemed to have a lot of failures in their teaching.

I think I'm finding that the vast majority of mantras actually let me feel pretty bad and there's a very few that actually do help me but the ones that do help me seem to help a lot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maddie said:

I think I'm finding that the vast majority of mantras actually let me feel pretty bad and there's a very few that actually do help me but the ones that do help me seem to help a lot.

Would you be willing to list the good mantras?

And how do you define "help a lot"? I think you have posted that the Cundi mantra makes you feel terrible while you are doing it, but it clears up karma and helps you in the long term.

About 12 years back I was repeating a mantra silently as a yogic meditative, concentration exercise. Sometimes this practice would make me sleepy, and I was at that point between being awake and falling asleep where dream type images arise and mix with wakeful consciousness where your wakeful mind identifies the images as unreal, dream images and says, - hey you’re starting to fall asleep again come back to the mantra.

All of a sudden something different arose that was not like the dream images  - a female presence who looked like images I had seen of Kuan Yin.  I don’t recall any words transmitted only feelings. It just made me smile and feel good. It was a feminine presence that primarily conveyed a sense of loving kindness and compassion but there was even a small portion of it containing a feeling of sensuality as well.  For a long time after this anytime I saw a picture of Kuan Yin or thought of an image of her I would get the same pleasant smiling experience  that would make me thankful for the experience and feel a sense of compassion towards others. Over the years since, this sense when viewing or remembering  her image has faded. The mantra I was doing at the time was a Sanskrit  yogic bija mantra (not a Buddhist mantra or dharani ). I was not looking for any experience like this at the time and really have no religious or cultural background to explain this experience.  The recurring pleasant feelings when seeing her image  did not involve practicing the mantra or meditation  just viewing or remembering her image. 

Curious whether this type of experience has any context within Buddhism that would help me understand it or  put it into perspective. 

I suspect there are various categories of mantra using inner/outer sounds that:

- activate various human/group/planetary chakras in positive or negative states/sequences

- connect the human to specific energy fields/entities with patterns/intents that are positive/neutral/negative to the human/group/planet

- activate/deactivate postive/adverse entities attached to the human/group/planet

- activate/deactivate particular future/past events for the  human/group/planet

- trigger/deactivate energy structures/devices attached to the human/group/planet

- contribute to the Song of Creation.

With the cosmic functionality implicit in the standard Earth human, it may be better to be well-informed when using mantras.  

Edited by Lairg

念佛,是佛陀送給我們的一份珍貴禮物,是一切法門的根本。 試問不念佛,如何學佛成佛? 念佛的初發心,就像衛星導航一樣,在修學佛道的過程中,會一路引導我們用功的方向,以及可能達到的狀態。 如果平常就以阿彌陀佛的極樂淨土為依歸,當心念相續不斷,念念都在佛號上,無論身心達到怎樣的境地,都只管一心念佛,必能滿願,歸向淨土。2016年5月24日

Chanting is a precious gift from the Buddha to us, and it is the foundation of Buddhism. Ask if you don't do chanting, how do you learn Buddhism to become a Buddha? The initial intention of chanting is like satellite navigation. In the process of cultivating the principles of Buddhism, it will guide us all the way to the direction of our hard work and the state we may achieve. If you usually rely on the pure land of bliss of Amitabha Buddha, be careful that your thoughts continue, and your thoughts are all on the name of the Buddha. No matter what situation your body and mind reach, just chant with all your heart, and you will be able to fulfill your wishes and return to the pure land.May 24, 2016

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Thanks 1

I notice consistently if I do a lot of mantras or chanting then life becomes very uncomfortable for a while.

Edited by Maddie

Speaking of if there's somebody that's very knowledgeable on chanting and mantras I would love to hear from you.