Shad282

Best way to stay warm in winter?

1 hour ago, Shad282 said:

does it work if more than 2 bodies? and has to be alive?

Being in a mass grave will not keep you warm, if that is what you ask. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ralis said:

I guess the OP is still not convinced. Best boiler money can buy.  :lol:

image.thumb.jpeg.d1d4334454c2ecda0ebfeb794dc65936.jpeg

Don't be materialistic!

1 hour ago, Shad282 said:

Don't be materialistic!

Requesting for ways to keep warm is materialistic! Figure it out for yourself. 

6 hours ago, dwai said:

Skip showers/baths for a few days -- that should keep you warmer. How people will react to you is a completely different story...

Really ?  I have a shower on a cold night and I dont need to light my inside fire .

Fire is also another good way to keep warm  ... if people did not realise .

4 hours ago, Shad282 said:

I don't believe in other people, they are all me and we are all one.

Actually, that relieves  ' me ' of SOOOO much responsibility  !

r0_55_1294_782_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Really ?  I have a shower on a cold night and I dont need to light my inside fire .

Did you mean drink some spirited stuff? :D 

8 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Fire is also another good way to keep warm  ... if people did not realise .

Agreed. I live a very cold part of the US and need centralized heating...using a fireplace is optional (for really cold days, or to make the living room cheerful on a bleak winter day/night). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shad282 said:

does it work if more than 2 bodies? and has to be alive?

I saw a doco on some Arctic explorer , cant remember who , but he seemed a smart one . He was worried about his men if something went wrong on an upcoming trip, so he went to stay with some  local indigenous to learn the skills needed for survival if something bad happened .   The natives where very obliging , a bunch of them took him out for a trek  in the snow and ice ;  dig a hole in the ice to catch a fish ,  find the right spot to make a shelter , how to cut ice blocks and form an igloo .  By now its night time. All the men are in the igloo and they put waterproof skins down first, then  furs , then fold out this giant sewn skin of two  layers sewn together around the edges .... just like a sleeping bag .

The men strip naked, smear seal fat all other each other and  squash into the bed like sardines .    ... Man, the look on that explorers face  !  :D

" Come on, get in . "

Shaking head , no .

" We will keep you warm  .... you can sleep in the middle . "

" Uh - a "   ( he still could not get any words out  ) .

" Why won't you get in?. "

" Ahem .... I will be fine , I will just sit in the corner and sleep there . "

" You cant do that you will freeze to death . "

"I'll be fine . "

So he sat against the wall,  all  rugged up in all his clothes and freezing his butt off  .

-  If his expedition did end up in trouble  ....  " Sorry Men , it looks like we are all going to die .  "      :D 

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, dwai said:

Agreed. I live a very cold part of the US and need centralized heating...using a fireplace is optional (for really cold days, or to make the living room cheerful on a bleak winter day/night). 

I live at 7000’ elevation in the high desert SW. It can be cold here at times and my light weight down parka does the trick. Win Hof breathing really takes the edge off. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, dwai said:

Even if it isnt cold enough to light the fire , sometimes I just put a lit candle in the fireplace .   A little fire going in the fireplace is like the heart and soul of the home .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP needs to read a few Jack London books which I read growing up. “To Build A Fire” is one that I recommend. 

Freezing your ass off when your hands are frozen, while trying to strike a match to start a fire, out in the middle of nowhere, is terrifying. One other thing to be aware of is the wood is not always dry. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QG05QG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ralis said:

I live at 7000’ elevation in the high desert SW. It can be cold here at times and my light weight down parka does the trick. Win Hof breathing really takes the edge off. 

Those cold desert environs fascinate me . I had a friend here from New Mexico that used to show me pics of her home .  I would like to try living in that environment .  She gave me a present , a chunk of rock from there , dont know what it is ; 3 layers , a pink crystalline one , a band of lighter green  and a white crystalline layer .

I guess its a  'dry cold'   .... not like here  ; cold and damp /wet .  Actually,  hot and damp/wet  as well .

We certainly dont have any high deserts here .

2 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Those cold desert environs fascinate me . I had a friend here from New Mexico that used to show me pics of her home .  I would like to try living in that environment .  She gave me a present , a chunk of rock from there , dont know what it is ; 3 layers , a pink crystalline one , a band of lighter green  and a white crystalline layer .

I guess its a  'dry cold'   .... not like here  ; cold and damp /wet .  Actually,  hot and damp/wet  as well .

We certainly dont have any high deserts here .

Santa Fe New Mexico. Dry and sometimes damp depending on the weather. 

10 hours ago, Nungali said:

I saw a doco on some Arctic explorer , cant remember who , but he seemed a smart one . He was worried about his men if something went wrong on an upcoming trip, so he went to stay with some  local indigenous to learn the skills needed for survival if something bad happened .   The natives where very obliging , a bunch of them took him out for a trek  in the snow and ice ;  dig a hole in the ice to catch a fish ,  find the right spot to make a shelter , how to cut ice blocks and form an igloo .  By now its night time. All the men are in the igloo and they put waterproof skins down first, then  furs , then fold out this giant sewn skin of two  layers sewn together around the edges .... just like a sleeping bag .

The men strip naked, smear seal fat all other each other and  squash into the bed like sardines .    ... Man, the look on that explorers face  !  :D

" Come on, get in . "

Shaking head , no .

" We will keep you warm  .... you can sleep in the middle . "

" Uh - a "   ( he still could not get any words out  ) .

" Why won't you get in?. "

" Ahem .... I will be fine , I will just sit in the corner and sleep there . "

" You cant do that you will freeze to death . "

"I'll be fine . "

So he sat against the wall,  all  rugged up in all his clothes and freezing his butt off  .

-  If his expedition did end up in trouble  ....  " Sorry Men , it looks like we are all going to die .  "      :D 

OK ! I M GOING TO THE ARCTIC !

Any videos!?!?!?! :o 

A part of the Wim Hof method that isn't often talked about, yet is widely practiced is acclimatization.  We all do it, ie by the end of winter what seemed cold, ie 40's and 50's suddenly seems warm after going through subzero weather.  Wim Hof, particularly the first 10 week course does it a bit more consciously.  When the weather turning colder, going for walks, meditation, getting outside w/ fewer layers and staying there increasingly longer in the cold. 

Gradual.  Nothing special.  It's really the norm in colder climates (and hotter).   It compliments the cold showers, especially the training to warm yourself up afterwards without covering up immediately. 

We lose something when we're conditioned to a constant comfortable temperature.  We become less adaptive, less tough.  

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, thelerner said:

A part of the Wim Hof method that isn't often talked about, yet is widely practiced is acclimatization.  We all do it, ie by the end of winter what seemed cold, ie 40's and 50's suddenly seems warm after going through subzero weather.  Wim Hof, particularly the first 10 week course does it a bit more consciously.  When the weather turning colder, going for walks, meditation, getting outside w/ fewer layers and staying there increasingly longer in the cold. 

Gradual.  Nothing special.  It's really the norm in colder climates (and hotter).   It compliments the cold showers, especially the training to warm yourself up afterwards without covering up immediately. 

We lose something when we're conditioned to a constant comfortable temperature.  We become less adaptive, less tough.  

In higher elevations with lots of sun wearing tee shirts is the norm. Yesterday it was a high of 60 deg and I wore a tee shirt all day. Felt really warm since the air is thinner with more solar gain.

Makes sense to acclimate while working on Wim Hof fundamentals.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 2