Trunk

new COVID discussion rule/s

I'm abolishing the rule re: COVID discussion and PPD's.

Back to things as before:
Do whatever you want in your own PPD.

Credit goes to @zerostao for chewing over this issue, reaching out and talking to community members, and bringing points of view to my attention.

Briefly, reasons:

1. The sense of personal ownership and control of PPD is really important for community dynamics.  PPD's are carved out personal spaces in a larger more chaotic community.  It's important not to infringe upon the personal control of those spaces.

2. *If* someone presents COVID information that would be inappropriate for any particular member ... There are *lots* of places to get various COVID information, pts of view.  If you have the minimal tech skills to look at a PPD, you can find COVID information all over the www.  A COVID thread in someone's PPD doesn't reasonably bare the responsibility for anyone's total COVID view(!).

3. One good thing that has come out of all of this is the Current Events section.  It's not a rule, but I'm hoping that the bulk of COVID (and other controversial non-internal-arts topics) discussion will occur there.

- Trunk

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Thank you @Trunk

As you know, I consider TDB a vibrant community. And with COVID, our community, as the larger world community, was rattled by COVID. We reacted as was thought best. And upon further reflection understood that Personal Space has always been a fundamental cornerstone of TDB. There are rights and responsibilities that go along with that as well as being part of any community. 

I expect some criticism and feel free to express your thoughts and opinions. COVID has been rough and taken its toll on all of us, in some form or another. Respect each other is the core "law" of TDB.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Covid, like Trump, is a particularly thorny subject for online discussion.

Given the politicization, polarization, and evolving "post-truth" culture we are increasingly subject to, I foresee rocky times ahead for communities such as ours.

We are very fortunate to have a group of committed, experienced, and knowledgable practitioners; and the ability to connect to each other, unrestrained by temporal or physical distance. 

The only way to survive and thrive is for the leadership, and community, to remain flexible, open, and empathetic to one another.

It is very reassuring to see such qualities on display here.

Cudos to @Trunk @zerostao @dwai and @ilumairen for their wisdom and service. 

:wub:

My own approach to the Covid topic has been to make a decision for myself, as informed as possible, and to move on.

For me, continuous attention and engagement in such a difficult topic can be as harmful, if not worse, than the disease or related treatment...

:ph34r:

YMMV

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Now with CV-19 transforming into less dangerous omicron+ variants, I think the pandemic is soon going to transform into a new normal with progressively lower mortality rates (just my humble opinion, so grain of salt is recommended).

One of the things that this terrible disease has shone a light on, is whether we have the ability to discuss this topic (and extrapolating to other contentious topics like that) dispassionately, in a responsible manner. I hope now, we can all be more retrospective in our approach, eventually be able to have discourses in a respectful manner. 

Kudos are actually deserved by @zerostao and @Trunk on being thought leaders and decisive in their proactive and reactive measures. Also @ilumairen, and @steve  you should not shirk away from the yeoman service you’ve provided to this community amidst the chaos, when it was most needed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steve said:

Covid, like Trump, is a particularly thorny subject for online discussion.

Given the politicization, polarization, and evolving "post-truth" culture we are increasingly subject to, I foresee rocky times ahead for communities such as ours.

We are very fortunate to have a group of committed, experienced, and knowledgable practitioners; and the ability to connect to each other, unrestrained by temporal or physical distance. 

The only way to survive and thrive is for the leadership, and community, to remain flexible, open, and empathetic to one another.

It is very reassuring to see such qualities on display here.

Cudos to @Trunk @zerostao @dwai and @ilumairen for their wisdom and service. 

:wub:

3 hours ago, steve said:

My own approach to the Covid topic has been to make a decision for myself, as informed as possible, and to move on.

For me, continuous attention and engagement in such a difficult topic can be as harmful, if not worse, than the disease or related treatment...

:ph34r:

YMMV

Bravo !

• Like 2