Toni

Upper back/lower neck problems

As I said in a previous thread I have some knots in my upper back and lower neck. It is in the area between shoulder blades and a little bit higher too. When i exercise this area i can hear a lot of craaacks craack, as when i squeeze shoulder blades together or when i raise my head stretching the neck. I think this problem is causing my tinnitus and poor blood circulation to my head. Any idea to fix this ?

Pd: i have tried a lot of different things in the last 3 years and nothing has worked so far. Several qigong systems, some tai chi, yoga, pilates, etc

Edited by Toni

Hi Toni,

Have you looked into your diet? Sleeping position? Are you staying well hydrated? What is your posture like when you aren’t exercising? Have you experienced past trauma in the region?

Personally, I have found Tsa Lung, a modified whole 30 based diet, and proper hydration therapeutic, but your own affinities and issues may be different.

If you are interested in Tsa Lung, 5 excercises are included in the last section of part one in this free course on starting a meditation practice:

https://ligminchalearning.com/starting-a-meditation-practice/

And the Whole30 elimination diet (which helps determine what is personally best for you to avoid) can be found here:

https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

• Like 1

A thought:

https://www.healthline.com/health/dowager-hump

In researching this for someone else, I saw some simple “stretch” which involved little more than laying with a rolled and properly placed towel.

However at one point I experienced a pinched nerve in my neck owing to my posture while driving a forklift - which I attempted to self treat for months before finally going to a doctor who easily diagnosed the issue.

Have you seen a doctor?

9 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

A thought:

https://www.healthline.com/health/dowager-hump

In researching this for someone else, I saw some simple “stretch” which involved little more than laying with a rolled and properly placed towel.

However at one point I experienced a pinched nerve in my neck owing to my posture while driving a forklift - which I attempted to self treat for months before finally going to a doctor who easily diagnosed the issue.

Have you seen a doctor?

Maybe a have a little bit of kyphosis. I have never seen a doctor for this. I saw a physioterapist who gave a massage one year and a half ago and he said my back was quite good. Maybe i should see a chriropractic

If i could stretch or exercise the area between my shoulder blades and my neck i think i could fix that

Lots of different treatment possibilities depending on many variables regarding your specific condition. Here are a few considerations.

One very common source of neck, upper back issues is posture. Particularly in the context of time spent on a keyboard or watching a screen, as well as reading. Attention to standing and sitting posture is a must for maintenance once some relief is achieved. Many have benefited from training in the Alexander technique

Another simple treatment that can be helpful is home cervical traction. It can stretch and release muscle tension and is simple and safe to do at home. 

Sleeping posture is important. Some folks use too high a pillow. Sleeping on the stomach is especially tough on the neck. 

Other helpful tools include a foam roller and self massage tool. Both can be very helpful to work on muscle tension in the upper back and area between the shoulders and shoulder blades. 

Some regular sessions with a massage therapist can work wonders! Especially one that brings other techniques into play like reiki and zero balancing. Chiropractic can be effective as well, although I've never derived much benefit from it personally. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

The knots in the upper back are a very common occurrence. Are you the kind of person who internalizes your emotions? 

If so, there can be knots formed around the shoulder blades, usually on the left side, often right below the shoulder blade. I find that it can asleep induce knots to form above the shoulder blades too. 

One trick my chiropractor told me is to find an empty space/isolated place outdoors and just scream or vocalize and express  your frustrations, and don’t suppress them. I found the issue going away.

The interesting thing to note is that a problem there often affects the jaw (TMJ),  lower back pain etc. 

5 hours ago, Toni said:

As I said in a previous thread I have some knots in my upper back and lower neck. It is in the area between shoulder blades and a little bit higher too. When i exercise this area i can hear a lot of craaacks craack, as when i squeeze shoulder blades together or when i raise my head stretching the neck. I think this problem is causing my tinnitus and poor blood circulation to my head. Any idea to fix this ?

Pd: i have tried a lot of different things in the last 3 years and nothing has worked so far. Several qigong systems, some tai chi, yoga, pilates, etc

A few things, do you believe you have tensions/weakness or improper usage of the hands/wrists? Do you struggle to relax your body easily? And do you want me to give you advice? A while back, you seem to have gotten angry for my own experimental physical issues and blamed me for whatever information i provided you. Also, it doesn't seem like you're grateful in any way for anything i've provided you since. If your answer to my first question is yes, then nothing anyone else has provided will give you a long term solution.

Your issue is most likely blockages going outwardly towards the ends of your body such as your head, hands, feet. And therefore, you most likely aren't able to utilize your overall body and specific muscle groups how they should naturally and easily. Whether you want my help or not, these alone should provide you with real solutions:

https://www.instagram.com/kinstretch/

https://www.instagram.com/docjenfit/

Thks all for ur suggestion. My tinnitus is due probably to my neck. I will do @Earl Grey neck and shoulder exercises in the next days and see if this helps. I have read in a tinnitus forum a person who fixed his tinnitus by doing neck and shoulder strenghtening exercises very similar to those posted in his program. I will try to do them everyday

Edited by Toni