Sign in to follow this  
Immortal4life

Bill Maher is right- The wet markets plus the Wuhan lab

1 hour ago, SirPalomides said:

Of course if Walker wants to come out against the Wuhan lab conspiracy theory here, as you do, no one’s stopping him. As it is, he is defending blatantly racist comments about the cultural consumption of cats and dogs as if it has something to do with sanitation, corruption scandals, etc.

1. How the FUCK am I defending any statement made about cats and dogs? You make these comments and then substantiate them by quoting some guy called "Master Logray." I am not him nor have I anywhere put my stamp of approval on his posts. Your emotional relationship with the CCP is, once again, heavily blurring your vision. I have explicitly in this thread clarified that I am speaking about the Chinese Communist Party, not the PRC citizenry or people of Chinese descent anywhere outside of the PRC's borders. For fuck's sake, try to read at least as well as you write. Trying to put words in my mouth, what the fuck is wrong with you?

2. I have not come out in favor of the Wuhan lab conspiracy theory. I am not even particularly interested in it at this point, although that may change if I see more evidence one way or another. I will say this: I was employed by a biochemistry lab in a top US university in the 1990s, and I have been trained in labs in two CCP medical universities, one of which is a heavily-funded "Key University" in Beijing. Comparing a US lab and a PRC lab, the standards of dealing with biohazard waste were night and day. Put another way, there may as well have not been any standards much of the time in the lab in Beijing, whereas in the US things we ran an extremely tight ship. But here's the key: even in the US lab, accidents did happen. They always happen. There is a fucking sixty-year-old flock of green parakeets that lives in Chicago which might have escaped from U of Chicago labs, and there are similar examples all over the world. So, yes, sure, the virus might have been being studied in Wuhan, and the biohazard maintenance standards there are probably poor, and if so it could have escaped from a lab in some way or another. 

Is this sooooooo fucking mind-blowing? Is an idea fundamentally racist just because an avowed racist like Donald Trump exploits it in a racist way?

These aren't rhetorical questions, Palomides, but since I've noticed you have a shitty habit of ignoring all the questions I ever ask you, let me answer them both, emphatically:

No

and 

Fucking no.

Here's where you need to take off your strongman-fetish cap and put on your thinking cap for just a moment, Palomides, if you can bear to:

3. Right above I just said that I am not very interested in the Wuhan lab theories. Why? Because focusing on what is now mostly speculation strongly detracts from public discourse about a very real problem about which there is no need to speculate. And it is this problem which is really at the crux of the worldwide plague and its relationship with the CCP. What is this problem? It is very simple, and it is well-known, and I hope it will never be forgotten:

When the first doctors in Wuhan began to suspect that they had a SARS-like coronavirus on their hands and began discussing how to protect humanity from a potential pandemic in a small, private, doctors-only WeChat discussion forum, what happened? Anybody who reads the news and doesn't have CCP faff dribbling from the corner of his mouth knows what the fuck happened: those doctors were rounded up, threatened with punishment to be meted out with the force of a totalitarian dictatorship behind it, forced to sign confessions which were read on TV, and then summarily silenced. One of those doctors, as is well-known (and keep in mind that this issue caused tremendous anger amid PRC citizens in China, even though overseas herbs living in relative freedom in the US and Malaysia like Palomides and C T may not care) soon died from the very coronavirus he tried to warn us about.

Whose 

Fucking

Fault

Is

That?

Why harp on this issue? Because the way in which those doctors were immediately stripped of their human and civil rights the moment they tried to do the right thing represent the standard operating procedure of CCP governance. I have seen this SOP up-close and personal and met many of its victims. In some very tangible ways (including a huge scar on my body), am a walking victim of those SOPs. So yes, kids, I'ma fucking hammer on this point. It doesn't matter if the virus came from a bat bite, bat soup, a lab, a pet pangolin, or even a fucking US army cyclist. What matters is that when push came to shove and a few honest, upstanding doctors in China tried to figure out how to save their city and, by extension, they country, and, by extension, the whole fucking world from the travesty that is still unfolding, WHAT HAPPENED?! The CCP you so love humiliated, terrified, threatened, and stopped them from doing anything. Further coverups only ensued, including the ongoing and laughable (if you believe them, especially now that even the PRC government is up-adjusting statistics) lies about how many people have been infected and died in China. 

So no, Palomides, I am not spewing racism about what Chinese people eat (hell, I've eaten a duck's head, skull brain beak and all, in China). Nor am I spreading speculative theories about laboratories or even wet markets, despite that fact that any asshole who wasn't born yesterday can tell you both are often a huge mess in China as well as elsewhere. No, I am fucking livid about the egregious treatment of those Wuhan doctors and every other abused whistle blower in China (including the disappeared citizen journalists) and the constant stream of CCP propaganda lies, which you and C T so unfortunately are willing to repeat here like gospel

The stuff Walker brought up about, eg, that nightmarish powder milk thing(I was in Beijing when that broke) has nothing to do with the cultural mores of what animals are or aren’t acceptable to eat. 

Again your faulty reasoning is drawing connections where there are none. One, I did not make comments here about which animals anybody should eat, nor did I "like" posts that touch on such an issue. Two, I do not think that the melamine scandal that killed and poisoned countless infants has any relationship to gustatory preferences.

I brought up the melamine scandal because it reflects a culture of corruption, inhumaneness, greed, and coverups that is endemic in the CCP and those who do their bidding and follow their ways. And, by the way, since we're talking about the milk scandal, let's not forget what happened to one of the good, upstanding Chinese gentlemen in the PRC who stood up to warn his fellow countrymen and women about the chemicals causing their infants to suffer kidney failure: 

China Sentences Activist in Milk Scandal to Prison

Nov. 10, 2010

BEIJING A former journalist who became the public face of a campaign seeking justice for children harmed by tainted dairy products was sentenced Wednesday to two and a half years in prison on charges that his efforts disrupted social harmony.

Zhao Lianhai, whose own son was sickened in 2008 by baby formula laced with the industrial chemical melamine, had been accused of “inciting social disorder” for speaking to foreign reporters, publicly displaying magazine-size protest signs and organizing aggrieved parents through a Web site. His lawyer, Peng Jian, said he would appeal the sentence, which was issued by a court in suburban Beijing.

@SirPalomides: I have another question which is not a rhetorical question, but let me preface it with a rhetorical question: Do you have the guts to answer it fair-and-square like an honest man? Because the question is: Do you not see what is similar about the fate of Zhao Lianhai and the fates of the Wuhan doctors, including Li Wenliang??? If you cannot or will not see the similarity and extrapolate from that there is something extraordinarily terrible about the CCP, you are truly an obstinate and stubborn ethno-nationalist fanboy. 

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

I seem to have missed that point as it being "uniquely immoral, unsanitary, uncivilized,  as opposed to cow, pig, chicken, etc" on this thread, or I didn't read it that way at all.

Exactly. Palomides is continuously trying to paint me into a corner that my words here have never led me into. I remember this terrible habit of his was on display not long ago when he was in a discussion with Taomeow, and she had to read him the riot act. Dude needs to show some fucking respect and quit lazily indulging in logical fallacies and misattribution. 

Palomides: Stop putting words in my mouth. I don't know if you get so worked up when you see the CCP get attacked that you simply can't see straight, or if you're trying to play games on purpose. Either way, you are disgracing yourself and acting like a 小粉紅 snitch. 

To anybody who has a problem with my tone of voice: I'm glad you noticed. This is how I would talk to a Nazi apologist, a slavery/Jim Crow apologist, etc. I've even lost a solid 9-to-5 job for going toe-to-toe with a manager who was bullying the Chinese staff in a bank I worked in. I got nooooooo problem being an asshole to bigots and their apologists, no matter what color they are, and my money is mos def where my mouth is, online or off. 

The Newsmonger F2 - RIP Dr Li Wenliang, Inside makeshilt hospitals ...

Edited by Walker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would happily clear up the bullshit about Li Wenliang, fortunately others have done it for me. Even in lockdown I don’t have time to spend hours picking apart non-stop imperialist propaganda. 

EA04CC5B-ECBC-49F8-A692-C76110744286.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SirPalomides said:

I would happily clear up the bullshit about Li Wenliang, fortunately others have done it for me. Even in lockdown I don’t have time to spend hours picking apart non-stop imperialist propaganda. 

Yet again you ignore almost everything that is said to you and yet try to keep the discussion going in your favor. 

Considering that you have been putting words in my mouth, you can deal with the whole post above instead of just one little corner you've tried to latch onto, and then we will talk about the JPG you just pasted here. 

7 minutes ago, Walker said:

Exactly. Palomides is continuously trying to paint me into a corner that my words here have never led me into. Dude needs to show some fucking respect.

Yeah, nowhere have you ever shown you said anything of the like.

If anything, Taiwan would be considered racist for their rightful hate of the CCP--and this is what the CCP wants people to think. 

Walker- Let’s see: kuroshiro, who has been pushing the Wuhan lab theory, calls me a CCP troll in reply to a guardian article I shared disproving the claim that nothing is being done about animals allegedly running amok in Wuhan- you quote his post approvingly. You then quote me calling out Master Logray’s racist bullshit about cats and dogs and then try to defend him with unrelated rambling about corruption, sanitation, etc. My characterization of your remarks is completely fair.  

Historically, strident anti-communism tends to drive liberals into the arms of fascists. That sad trend may be observed here. There can be no dialogue with such people. 

• Like 1

Being able to whine and try to blow smoke up my ass at the same time is a fancy talent but the smoke ain't getting in.

11 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

Walker- Let’s see: kuroshiro, who has been pushing the Wuhan lab theory, calls me a CCP troll in reply to a guardian article I shared disproving the claim that nothing is being done about animals allegedly running amok in Wuhan- you quote his post approvingly.

I quoted ONE LINE of his post and commented on that ONE LINE.

Regarding that line,

Indeed, you do toe the CCP propaganda line here with almost religious zeal, and I can understand why he thinks you might work for them.

I quoted him to venture that I think you don't work for them, you just have a syndrome akin to some loser in London who thinks his life might get better if he moved to ISIS.

Like I said though, shitty way to live either way.

You then quote me calling out Master Logray’s racist bullshit about cats and dogs and then try to defend him with unrelated rambling about corruption, sanitation, etc. My characterization of your remarks is completely fair.  

I see your interpretation. Let me clarify: You have been striving to connect all anti-CCP statements made here to anti-Chinese racism for weeks now. My comment was, meant more generally, because you are generally playing games. If Logray is making *actual* racist comments he should stop,

Just as you should stop being the local CCP snitch. 

Historically, strident anti-communism tends to drive liberals into the arms of fascists. That sad trend may be observed here. There can be no dialogue with such people. 

THE CCP IS NOT COMMUNIST AND DOES NOT EVEN TRY TO BE EXCEPT IN NAME ONLY.

If you cannot see this, your reading of Marxism is inexcusably  facile.

Now:

Stop whining and go after the WHOLE post I made above.

47 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Yeah, nowhere have you ever shown you said anything of the like.

Thank you 🙏

If anything, Taiwan would be considered racist for their rightful hate of the CCP--and this is what the CCP wants people to think. 

Populists' racism games are multilayered. Easiest to spot, is, of course, blatant blame (ie, Nazis against Jews). Dog whistling is harder to see, but the world seems to be getting better at it.

But then there is also "nothing my adversaries say about me is true because they are racist"--there is now an army of PRC overseas embassy officials tweeting day in and day out in this strategy. Of course the irony is that they cannot even legally use Twitter while at home, where all adults are infantilized by the regime, but they wield it abroad to defend das Vaterland.

Indeed the CCP would love it if they could somehow paint all anti-CCP Taiwanese and Hong Kongers as somehow racist. That is difficult, since both places are majority Han. One strategy seems to be to paint TW and HK anti-CCP sentiment as either the work of the CIA (as though two of the most highly educated places on earth are full of people who simply mindlessly absorb CIA propaganda and themselves don't otherwise have countless other great reasons to loathe the CCP dictatorship), or else a product of racial self-loathing. I don't know HK very well but in Taiwan that's laughable. The people here tend to be justifiably proud of not having eviscerated traditional Han culture and replaced it with the CCP Mao-Xi living god cult.

Edited by Walker
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Walker said:

THE CCP IS NOT COMMUNIST AND DOES NOT EVEN TRY TO BE EXCEPT IN NAME ONLY.

Oof, Trotskyite confirmed. Now I know why you’re bitter.

Have y’all seen this one? It’s a classic 

44 minutes ago, Walker said:

Thank you 🙏

Populists' racism games are multilayered. Easiest to spot, is, of course, blatant blame (ie, Nazis against Jews). Dog whistling is harder to see, but the world seems to be getting better at it.

But then there is also "nothing my adversaries say about me is true because they are racist"--there is now an army of PRC overseas embassy officials tweeting day in and day out in this strategy. Of course the irony that they cannot even legally use Twitter while at home but they wield it abroad to defend das Vaterland.

Indeed the CCP would love it if they could somehow paint all anti-CCP Taiwanese and Hong Kongers as somehow racist. That is difficult, since both places are majority Han. One strategy seems to be to paint TW and HK anti-CCP sentiment as either the work of the CIA (as though two of the most highly educated places on earth are full of people who simply mindlessly absorb CIA propaganda and themselves don't otherwise have countless other great reasons to loathe the CCP dictatorship), or else a product of racial self-loathing. I don't know HK very well but in Taiwan that's laughable. The people here tend to be justifiably proud of not having eviscerated traditional Han culture and replaced it with the CCP Mao-Xi living god cult.

Hong Kongers as I mentioned above are already weird, but the people Palomides was referring to are still only a small minority compared to the rest. They have a big reason to fight to distinguish themselves from the mainland as their politics and status are far different from that of Taiwan. 

Here's an Asian American perspective I'll throw in as well: racism is too easy to shut down any dialogue used for the means of discovery and understanding. My problem with the racist angle the CCP is using and feeding Trumpsters and their own bigotry is that it diminishes attention for the actual racism worth getting pissed off about. This has been ongoing since the late 90s and early 00s, and to me, the outrage culture that's so prevalent now is actually what I already saw with some political-minded Asian Americans in college and white liberals in ethnic studies departments. People are more inclined to bitch about an ESPN sports commentator saying that "Jeremy Lin had a chink in his armor" and fire him rather than get mad that the NBA sold out in favor of commerce for one anchor's support for HK protests. In turn, if racism becomes associated with pettiness, actual racism such as hate crimes are ignored because what was once serious is now just considered petty!!!

There's something about the racism that creates this nationalistic pride when people want to reconnect to their motherland and confuse whomever is in charge or was in charge with their identity. I saw Filipino Americans who loved Marcos even if their parents escaped his dictatorship, fifth-generation Chinese Americans whose grandparents don't even speak Chinese suddenly learning Mandarin, listening to T-Pop, watching T-Dramas, and then bizarrely, going on cultural trips to China for a couple weeks and praising Mao. Even one guy in his 40s was so sold on it in the early 2000s that he was all about taking Taiwan militarily. When he came out of his phase, he said that that was one group the CCP really wants to bring into their fold: overseas Chinese, no matter how many generations removed, which they do through nationalism in being Chinese, patriotism in their state for making the CCP synonymous with being Chinese, shame at being a twinkie/banana, and fear of being oppressed either by the Japanese or the European allies post-Opium Wars, or their own narrative of racism in America/Europe/Australia. 

As someone who is only part Chinese and a minority within a minority (Shanghainese heritage Filipino in a majority Fujian-heritage community of overseas Chinese), I'm already uninterested in what they're selling simply because the few Fujian-heritage people I know would rather be Filipino than associate with the mainland again, and the few who are identified as supporters of the CCP have funding for their local businesses here that are already dubious groups. So....

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Thanks 1

Oof, Trotskyite confirmed. Now I know why you’re bitter.

Have y’all seen this one? It’s a classic 

It is time to talk about forgivable and unforgivable ignorance.

The forgivable:

At about this time in 2017, whilst I was still living in the capital of the so-called "People's Republic" of China, I made the acquaintance of a bright graduate student studying management who frequented the same noodle spot I did. We occasionally chatted when our mealtimes happened to overlap (sharing dining tables with strangers is the norm in China, and it's a good way to meet people), and one day we got talking about his heavy course load. As is generally the case in higher education in the PRC, this student was very busy because in addition to his major's courses he also had to attend nightly, mandatory political education classes. Naturally, the themes were Marxism, Leninism, Maoism, and the new-fangled Xitlerism. He was quite surprised when I told him I'd studied Marxism in college and in fact read Marx on my own in middle school. He asked me what I thought of Marx's writings and I immediately told him that I have a deep appreciation for Marx's discussions of alienation. As soon as I said this the young man stared at me blankly--"Alienation?" I repeated the Chinese word for it but he was still perplexed. When I tried to describe it it didn't ring any bells. I began to wonder if maybe I had the wrong word, so we got out our phones to check our dictionaries, and there it was, the word I'd just said. The man made a puzzled expression and looked back up at me, saying, "we've certainly never discussed this word. This is a part of Marxism?" Now it was my turn to be surprised, shocked even. To study Marxist theory for years for several hours a week and not encounter alienation? This is like studying Buddhism and failing to encounter the doctrine of reincarnation. The graduate student, being a sharp fellow, insisted that I explain the gist of what alienation means in Marxism to him. When I was finished, he could only shake his head, still not sure if I hadn't just made the whole thing up. I was flabbergasted, but then I thought about it. Of course the Marxism classes in the PRC cannot talk about alienation. Alienation to an extreme degree--far more extreme than was likely imaginable in Marx's own day--is forced upon the "People's Republic" by the false communists in charge. To educate the people in such a manner as informs them that they have been hoodwinked, how, and of what, that would be to initiate the ruling clique's own demise. And so, of course, they learn a castrated version of Marxism, and when ardent youths who despite these disadvantages nevertheless grasp the essence of Marx's teachings and stand up in attempts to put them into action, they are now crushed. (I predict Palomides will be too much of a gutless hypocrite to acknowledge the contents of this link in any meaningful way).

The unforgivable:

Being an educated adult in a country with free, unfettered access to information and still actually believing that the CCP operates in a manner that is not deeply antithetical to the tenets of Marxism, and on that basis carrying their water zealously on this website (Another link Palomides will lack the guts and discernment to avail himself of, despite it's being recommended reading from TDB's owner: Chuang Journal, devoted to in-depth and scathing Marxist critiques of the PRC under its current leadership)

Edited by Walker
  • Like 1

Try this:my friends and me when we went to Beijing for MUN back in high school, we had a friend whose parents were historians and literature teachers respectively from Taiwan in our group. We met a couple of university students who were with the youth group for the CCP, who quoted a lot of lines they claim came from Chairman Mao, and then we pointed out the sources they were referencing were a mix of Laozi, Buddha, Confucius, and even Abraham Lincoln. When we pointed it out to them, they got huffy and puffy and just said the phonetic equivalent of grass mud horse to us and our mothers. Talking to them was like talking to Scientologists. 

23 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Talking to them was like talking to Scientologists. 

Lol, don't know whether to laugh or cry about that story.

But still, I'd rather deal with a Scientologist than Palomides.

At least the former won't try to tell you the concentration camps in Xinjiang are "voluntary free education centers."

3 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

When he came out of his phase, he said that that was one group the CCP really wants to bring into their fold: overseas Chinese, no matter how many generations removed, which they do through nationalism in being Chinese, patriotism in their state for making the CCP synonymous with being Chinese, shame at being a twinkie/banana, and fear of being oppressed either by the Japanese or the European allies post-Opium Wars, or their own narrative of racism in America/Europe/Australia. 

Really scary, but also understandable that people fall into this trap. The CCP likely spends more money on any single day in pursuit of this goal than most of us will ever earn in a lifetime. To me, C T and Palomides' redeeming factor right now is that they, too, may simply be "going through a phase." May it finish soon.

I actually know a wealthy family, very well connected politically, who are involved in these international Han chauvinist identitarian efforts with PRC backing. They have members scattered around the PRC, Taiwan, and the US. Recently they'd been deeply involved in the presidential election campaign for Han Kuo-Yu, who is a Taiwanese wannabe populist strongman with blatant affection for the CCP (thank Guanyin, Laozi, the magic transforming fox genies, the UFOs, and the CIA that he was trounced in a landslide!).

Some of the members of this politically-connected family always struck me as off, but certain things were never said aloud in my presence. That was until January of this year, when a member of the clan who grew up in the US came and found me to divulge, literally in tears, the sick schlock he has to listen to some of his fanatical aunts and uncles rant about. We're talking about, literally(!): "Hitler was a great leader, did what he had to do to maintain power, nothing wrong when countries do that stuff, you need strong leaders like that;" " doesn't matter if it's the CCP, the KMT, or anybody else--as long as we Han people rise and the Americans fall, we'll make our ancestors proud and usher in a new world;" and "the opiate and synthetic drug crises in America is Chinese people making opiates and killing stupid Americans, it's revenge for the opium war, at last!" Whenever he argues with them they tell him to shut up and call him a stupid, fat American who's Mandarin isn't good enough for him to have an opinion.

Sickos can be found everywhere. There are no pure races, in any sense.

Edited by Walker
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

For those interested in the question of whether China is socialist, and unimpressed by the inconclusive anecdotes of US state department shills, a reading list: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16iw83noTdWvDiECaITX83rGhP_lros8QdBTrNnCoe6c/edit

Sorry, but the BRI portion is complete shit. I see what has happened in Sri Lanka and Cambodia personally from work there, and over here in the Philippines is something Duterte and others are disregarding entirely against overwhelming research showing the BRI sucks. Their expansion into the Spratlys and West Philippine Sea are a daily headache. 

6 hours ago, SirPalomides said:

The Dr. Li infographic is propaganda bullshit.

SARS stands for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome and the current coronavirus is commonly called SARS-CoV-2 and the like.

It always was perfectly reasonable by the good doctor to identify the disease by its syndromatic symptoms.

The name “SARS-Cov-2” didn’t exist in December. He obviously was talking about SARS of 2003. What’s propaganda bullshit is calling someone a “whistleblower” who was communicating to some friends in a private chat, and saying he was jailed or arrested when he was called in to sign a paper. Meanwhile there are cases of US medical officials being punished for actual whistle blowing yet this is not being plastered all over Western media as proof of the repressive nature of the US regime or whatever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Walker said:

I actually know a wealthy family, very well connected politically, who are involved in these international Han chauvinist identitarian efforts with PRC backing. They have members scattered around the PRC, Taiwan, and the US. Recently they'd been deeply involved in the presidential election campaign for Han Kuo-Yu, who is a Taiwanese wannabe populist strongman with blatant affection for the CCP (thank Guanyin, Laozi, the magic transforming fox genies, the UFOs, and the CIA that he was trounced in a landslide!).

Some of the members of this politically-connected family always struck me as off, but certain things were never said aloud in my presence. That was until January of this year, when a member of the clan who grew up in the US came and found me to divulge, literally in tears, the sick schlock he has to listen to some of his fanatical aunts and uncles rant about. We're talking about, literally(!): "Hitler was a great leader, did what he had to do to maintain power, nothing wrong when countries do that stuff, you need strong leaders like that;" " doesn't matter if it's the CCP, the KMT, or anybody else--as long as we Han people rise and the Americans fall, we'll make our ancestors proud and usher in a new world;" and "the opiate and synthetic drug crises in America is Chinese people making opiates and killing stupid Americans, it's revenge for the opium war, at last!" Whenever he argues with them they tell him to shut up and call him a stupid, fat American who's Mandarin isn't good enough for him to have an opinion.

It is indeed troubling.   There is a lot of implications.

9 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

TCM does use a lot of animal parts sadly in some practices like seahorses or bear bile, but that is also something that has been controversial historically and differing schools try to use more plants than animals. There is even a qigong system that forbids the eating of dog meat as it will diminish your power immensely. 

Master Logray I believe mentioned he was from Hong Kong before, if I recall correctly, so it might be more like Hong Kong-Mainland division if this is the case, but yes, it does sound pretty racist if it were said by a westerner. 

You should not remember me?  I have been away for real long, almost an ancient in this website.  So long that I have problems logging in and still figuring out how to navigate here.   

1 minute ago, Master Logray said:

You should not remember me?  I have been away for real long, almost an ancient in this website.  So long that I have problems logging in and still figuring out how to navigate here.   

It's in your brief member history: 

I saw someone looked in my PPJ once and didn't recognize the name, so I went to see if you were someone who just changed their username or something. 

Sign in to follow this