Sign in to follow this  
Cymro

Illness Interrupts Daily Practice/How to Deal

A few weeks ago I can down with a fairly serious respiratory bug. Nothing life threatening, but I've needed a lot more sleep and rest and have had to set aside some of my regular activities both professional and social. It's also affected my daily practice, eg I've been sleeping instead of doing and letting my body rest.

Any advice for dealing with this would be appreciated. How do I start/ease back into a routine? Should I take some intermediate steps before jumping back in? When do I start--I'm still coughing and wheezing a bit, particularly in the mornings. Let me know your thoughts, and herbal remedies are always appreciated.

Thanks!

It's a bit hard to really determine what is affecting you or the causality and the way to treat it without knowing your background, but your real best bet is to consult a TCM doctor or get a session with Eric Isen, medical professionals rather than people on the forum.

• Like 1

Ah, let me be a bit more clear: I'm in touch with my doctor and have seen/consulted her about this; I'm fine to resume a normal schedule as soon as I feel like I'm up to it. I'm more curious as to how you handle a health-related interruption in training and how you move back into a regular cycle. I hope that clears things up.

• Like 1

Oh, depends on what your routine and practices are, then.

For me, I just listen to the body and do what feels right. Sometimes it means I go right back into the hardcore, sometimes I may just do silk brocades, sometimes I’ll just rest and eat well.

Listening to the body is a key skill for training, even when not training, so to speak.

• Like 6

I usually keep it very quiet for a time after being down.

Illness is the body re minding me it's overdue for quiet and recharge for a time.

Bone broth (or vegan) and quiet mindfulness.

Walking through the neighborhood, but in bits at first.

Baby steps revisiting practice as vitality returns.

Stillness and breath awareness are foundationally potent.

Though listening to audio lectures, or reading is helpful I find when mind is stirring.

Best wishes on speedy recovery.

• Like 6

Thanks all!

I'm feeling about 80% today, so I may ease back into things tomorrow if improvement continues. I'm taking the advice to let my body take the lead; sometimes you just need rest. We'll see what happens from here.

• Like 4

Sometimes the illness is the cure.  ie telling us to slow down, stop taking one's health for granted.  A bug, some sort of cold been making its rounds through my family. 

Not too bad, cough, congestion.. no temperature.. takes a week for it to pass by.  In the meantime the fallen gets plenty of advice on zinc, sambucca/elderberries and plenty of chicken soup :)  . 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 6:18 AM, Cymro said:

Ah, let me be a bit more clear: I'm in touch with my doctor and have seen/consulted her about this; I'm fine to resume a normal schedule as soon as I feel like I'm up to it. I'm more curious as to how you handle a health-related interruption in training and how you move back into a regular cycle. I hope that clears things up.

Listen to your own body and think for yourself as opposed to soliciting medical advice on an internet forum!

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 11:46 AM, ralis said:

Listen to your own body and think for yourself as opposed to soliciting medical advice on an internet forum!

Wonderfully pragmatic and to the point, although as the thread has continued it seems to me the OP is being more conversational than deferential with the other members here - which is good imo. I trust he'll know when he's ready to continue his practice(s).

I've had something that sounds very similar. Started on the 29th and I've embraced being laid out. It's felt frustrating and depressing, but I've had no choice.

Today I have been able to move around and I decided to do some light taiji in the morning for no other purpose than to test my balance and see how I feel inside. Amazingly, with just 20 minutes, I am 500x more aware of what I am and am not capable of than yesterday.

So yeah, if you're at 80%, just have a go. You'll be doing good for yourself by just being present with your practice and when it's time to call it a day, do so with no shame :)

• Like 1

On 31/12/2019 at 8:40 AM, thelerner said:

Sometimes the illness is the cure.  . 

This bit belongs in your Best-of-the-Bums anthology.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this