Sign in to follow this  
Taomeow

Sumer: the "black-headed" vs. the "red-faced"

7 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

What I find particularly intriguing is that (as per Sweatman's book) the signs of the zodiac were already being depicted on pillars found in Göbekli Tepe.

Those same zodiacal signs (for the most part) that have so far been considered an invention of the Sumerians.

The issue is that in 4450 BC a new world age started and things get hazy when we try to look back further than that.

Yes, that too.  Also, as a practitioner of taoist sciences, I've been having problems with things "invented" or "first introduced" by the Sumerians" for I don't know how long.  And consequently trying to chase down a common source, or else a transmission not from Sumer but to Sumer -- or else become one of them coincidence theorists whom I generally hold in low esteem for all purposes.

A number of official sources I've seen assert, e.g., that Sumerians were the first to develop astronomical observations and identify something like 12 constellations.  I looked at the same period in Chinese history -- they had been working with 60 constellations by then and since no one knows when at the time, and the 12 that became our "zodiac" (literally "circle of animals") weren't even placed in heaven, they were earthly "animals" (metaphors for particular types of earthly qi) -- then Sumerians somehow transported them to up above our heads, shuffled the animals a bit, added some human non-animals -- and all subsequent Western astrology (and its physical body disemboweled of its metaphysical soul that became astronomy) proceeded to work with those.  (Which is one reason I've never looked all that closely at Western astrology...  hey, what about Earth?...  Does our planet have a say at all in what concerns itself with human destiny?..)   

In systems of Australian Aboriginal 'astronomy' it is common for things to interchange between earth and 'heaven' . In some of the most common original creation stories ; heaven to earth  ( water spat by female black snake / 'Milky Way' / Wallenganda  )    and later (after creation but during 'Dreamtime' ) events on earth can transpose and  then get 'fixed' in the heavens ( current 'set ' reality )  .

2 dynamics   ;  One whole set is about the seasons and  everything associated with that,  hunting, gathering, movements around country , etc .  This is the 'what about earth' stuff' and modern western (tropical) astrology , being based on the every changing equinoctial point, being essentially a matter of 'seasons' , and not having much to do with the locations in space of asterisms ( and  less as time goes on as they move more out of sync )  is actually all about Earth.  So in traditional systems   animals and similar will be transposed on to marker stars and constellations .

The other, although related to the first, is  about  tribal mores and taboos, ways of behaviour  relating to environmental   and social laws , and marking the passage of development firstly  through individuation / initiation and then (if you make it ) as a 'magician'  , 'clever man' , kaidtcha, etc .  These are often enacted  first on earth, then projected into the heavens  ( during ;Dreamtime ) and then 'freeze frame ' they stay that way as the asterism pattern - that is the world has 'set' into the form we know now .  So people and events will be transposed onto stars.  We have to remember that the cosmos was equally a part of landscape . If one can imagine (or even do it yourself )  sitting outside under the stars every night  ( and no tv  :D )  it becomes just as familiar as the earth  / day landscape .

( One reason I study  this stuff is  these people show one the worlds last survivng cultures from very ancient times  - I am not saying its the same as Europe was 30,000 years ago , but I think it does give some indications )

Eg .

I'll mask it, as it is a  'special ' a initiatory story  and causes  shock and horror in those who hear it   ( and not just amongst Aboriginals )

Spoiler

Short general (kindergarten ) level  version, there are deeper and more advanced versions of all stories , most only hear the 'kids level'  .

How the stars of  ......  where formed .      (The name  change over different language  groups )

Once there was this boy coming into manhood. He had a much older very cheeky girlfriend  - trouble !   It came time for the boys initiation so the elder men told the girl to go away and leave him alone - go to woman's camp .  Then they took the boy and some others to the men's secret initiation ground .   But the gill hid and followed them .

:o

(first shock horror )

During the first part of the ceremony the boy/s where circumcised and told to stay in the circle for the night, the men would be back in the morning and the ceremony would continue .  The girl watched from some bushes and watched the circumcision .

(  :o )

After the elders left and the boys fell asleep she crept into the circle

:o:o

She woke the boy up and wanted to look at his freshly circumcised penis , and becoming fascinated with the injury,  wanted to have sex with , right there in the men's initiation circle

(  just consider  the :o   continuing all the way through the rest of this ) 

But, due to the injury the  boy;s member swelled up inside her and he couldnt get it out , he tried  but that caused him to  yell out in pain . Which awoke the guardians  sleeping nearby in their circle, so they rushed to see what had happened .  The girl, knowing  that both of them would be instantly  killed, lifted the boy up and held his thighs and the boy hung on around r hips with his  legs and held on with his arms around her neck and they ran off - stuck together,  across the desert  with  two guardians chasing them.

She ran all the way to the horizon and up into the sky, the guardians followed them.  She ran across the sky, carring the boy and the guardians threw a boomerang and a throwing stick at her   and   .....

< freeze   frame  >

(at this point the  front star of 'Scorpius'  are pointed to  " There is the boy ad the girl stuck together ", then the next two smaller ones , behind the 'head'  " ... and there are the boomerang and throwing stick  "   and the last two  " There are the two guardians chasing them ."

- end .

What is rather remarkable are the 'scorpionic  motiffs' obvious in this story ;   sexuality , unusual or perverse sexuality,  secrets and secrets spied on, magic, ritual and initiation , passion, power , retribution,  etc   in a culture that  diesnt even attribute that asterism to a scorpion !  

• Like 1

Historians credit Sumerians with many inventions -- among them, beer.  Archeologists have found beer-making equipment from the fourth millennium BC.  There's also written documents that seem to offer some evidence that Sumerians drank nothing but beer -- that they didn't drink water.  Beer was, hypothetically, their method of water treatment to make sure it's disinfected.  (Of course the problem didn't arise until the cities and sedentary agriculture.)  Sumerian beer was so thick that they used special filtration straws to drink it through.  They sucked.   

There's hymns to beer, which was supposed to give people "a joyful heart and a contented liver."  The hymns were dedicated to the goddess of brewing, Ninkasi, “one who waters the malt set on the ground.”  

A clay seal depicting beer drinking in a banquet scene dating from 2600-2350 B.C. (Credit: E. Jason Wambsgans/Getty Images)

A clay seal depicting beer drinking in a banquet scene dating from 2600-2350 B.C. 

(I have no idea why it posts twice and I can't remove the second image)

image.png

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Taomeow said:

(I have no idea why it posts twice and I can't remove the second image)

Beer tends to repeat on you  .

• Like 1

Four thousand years ago, students practiced writing by copying various exercises.  Some of the writings they left behind give us a glimpse into the life of a Mesopotamian student.  

“I went in and sat down, and the teacher read my tablet. He said: "There is something missing here."
And beat me with a cane.
One of the overseers said: “Why do you open your mouth without permission?”
And beat me with a cane.
And the one who monitors compliance with the rules said: “Why did you get up without permission?”
And beat me with a cane.
The gatekeeper said: “Why are you going out without permission?”
And beat me with a cane.
A Sumerian teacher said, “Why do you speak Akkadian?”
And beat me with a cane.
Teacher told me: “You have bad handwriting.”
And beat me with a cane. "

Sign in to follow this