3bob

speed of light foray

2 minutes ago, 3bob said:

well dear wouldn't that mean that we too would be slowed down proportionally for mowing and such

Yes, yes it would. And probably more than we'd perceive! 🦋

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nintendao said:

So does this mean that the speed of light is inversely proportional to the speed of getting lit?

Oh that's good! :lol:

can we use trig to figure that out, I've never liked that inversely proportional stuff except when it comes to being exposed to gamma radiation...  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3bob said:

can we use trig to figure that out, I've never liked that inversely proportional stuff except when it comes to being exposed to gamma radiation...  

I cant anymore but you guys go right ahead, lol

Ruth+Orkin+-+Albert+Einstein+at+Princeto

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wandelaar said:

What's the problem?

take your pick, we are not picky.  btw. if gravity can bend light can it also slow it down besides accounting for the greater distance it has to travel while being bent?  (on it's way to Silent thunders lawn)

Edited by 3bob
  • Haha 1

The speed of light in vacuum depends on the observer, it's only c when viewed from an inertial frame. (That's what makes the special theory of relativity special, it only accounts for observers in inertial reference frames. For the case of observers in any type of reference frame we have the general theory of relativity.) For non-inertial observers the speed of light in vacuum may vary. A free falling "elevator cabin" in space can be considered as approximately constituting an inertial frame.

The effect of a slowed down speed of light is that electromagnetic interactions are also slowed down, which means that the processes of life (and thus our experience of time) also slows down.

• Like 1

The supposedly revolutionary TR is based on  antiquated measurements from 17th century,

https://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae22.cfm

whereas the speed of the moving earth was too small compared to the speed of light, hence it was not added or subtracted from c. Of course at higher speeds, comparable to c, this will not hold. Hence TR is a hoax.

• Thanks 1

@ Taoist Texts

You would do well to stop criticising scientific theories of which you obviously don't even know the bare essentials and which you don't understand at all. You're only making a fool of yourself, which is a pity because there are other fields of study in which you often have something useful to say.

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wandelaar said:

The speed of light in vacuum depends on the observer, it's only c when viewed from an inertial frame. (That's what makes the special theory of relativity special, it only accounts for observers in inertial reference frames. For the case of observers in any type of reference frame we have the general theory of relativity.) For non-inertial observers the speed of light in vacuum may vary. A free falling "elevator cabin" in space can be considered as approximately constituting an inertial frame.

The effect of a slowed down speed of light is that electromagnetic interactions are also slowed down, which means that the processes of life (and thus our experience of time) also slows down.

sounds very interesting...does that also mean that if we just stood still instead talking while walking (or driving) with our cell phones on that time delays in our conversations would be reduced? :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3bob said:

...does that also mean that if we just stood still instead talking while walking (or driving) with our cell phones on that time delays in our conversations would be reduced? :)

The situation has to be precisely defined before I can say anything about that.

- Are there two persons A and B involved?

- Is there a situation I where A and B talk to each other by cell phone and are standing still with a distance d between them?

- Is there a situation II where A and B talk to each other by cell phone while walking with the same velocity v and with the same value for the constant distance d as in situation I (but now as measured in the frame of A or B!) between them?

Edited by wandelaar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

WoW!  Caused me to wonder:  Does the speed of light slow down as the batteries in a flashlight grow weak?

No.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wandelaar said:

@ Taoist Texts

You would do well to stop criticising scientific theories of which you obviously don't even know the bare essentials and which you don't understand at all. You're only making a fool of yourself,

This is a very telling reaction. A religious person, when his religion is questioned never answers with a rational argument. Always with insults. In psychology it is called 

....cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort (psychological stress) experienced by a person who simultaneously holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values.

@ Taoist Texts

There is no way to deal with those who criticise things that they don't understand. When you explain why they are wrong they will not understand it either, they will just come up with more bull shit (of which there is plenty on the internet). It's a complete waste of time.

I studied both the Theory of Relativity, and the diverse criticisms of the theory, and alternatives such as Lorentz Ether Theory. The Theory of Relativity is no religion to me, and I wouldn't even be surprised when one day the Theory of Relativity will turn out to be wrong. So no cognitive dissonance here, and Taoist Texts is wrong again. But this is a silly discussion: it's like playing chess with somebody who doesn't know the rules of the game and makes up his own rules as we go so as to continue playing when he has already lost. Better not start at all.

Edited by wandelaar

12 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

@ Taoist Texts

There is no way to deal with those who criticise things that they don't understand. When you explain why they are wrong they will not understand it either,

Umm, I have a 5 year, magister level degree in semiconductor engineering. What is yours?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marblehead said:

WoW!  Caused me to wonder:  Does the speed of light slow down as the batteries in a flashlight grow weak?

....although there would be fewer electrons for current flow and a lower voltage, thus and probably resulting in a guys trip to home depot to get new battery's at a slower than light speed - Note: if the driver in said trip was being clocked for speed by someone standing on the moon then calculating his relative speed would be more complicated compared to that of the guys wife  standing still with her cell at home depot and mad as hell while waiting to get picked up;  in other words were the calculations thrown off by the guy  sneaking over to the tool department first before meeting her?   

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wandelaar said:

The situation has to be precisely defined before I can say anything about that.

- Are there two persons A and B involved?

- Is there a situation I where A and B talk to each other by cell phone and are standing still with a distance d between them?

- Is there a situation II where A and B talk to each other by cell phone while walking with the same velocity v and with the same value for the constant distance d as in situation I (but now as measured in the frame of A or B!) between them?

Let these be the two situation that we have to compare. Here on earth we don't have an exact inertial frame, but the tiny deviation can be ignored in most cases. So we suppose A and B to both carry their own inertial frame with them. This won't be a burden because coordinate system are weightless. :P

We now apply:

1. First postulate (principle of relativity)

The laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postulates_of_special_relativity

Now this means that the same time delays in their conversations will be measured by A and B in situations I and II because relative to the frames of reference of A and B their cell phones will be at rest with a distance d between them in both situations I and II.

(When a frame of reference U moves with a constant velocity relative to an inertial frame of reference V, than U must also be an inertial frame of reference.)  

Edited by wandelaar

22 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Let these be the two situation that we have to compare. Here on earth we don't have an exact inertial frame, but the tiny deviation can be ignored in most cases. So we suppose A and B to both carry their own inertial frame with them. This won't be a burden because coordinate system are weightless. :P

We now apply:

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postulates_of_special_relativity

Now this means that the same time delays in their conversations will be measured by A and B in situations I and II because relative to the frames of reference of A and B their cell phones will be at rest with a distance d between them in both situations I and II.

(When a frame of reference U moves with a constant velocity relative to an inertial frame of reference V, than U must also be an inertial frame of reference.)  

which sounds like it has similarities to the earlier case of the guy and his wife who are now sitting on the bench seat of his truck (after she was finally picked up at home depot) with the distance between them remaining the same on said seat while she chews his ass, even though he is driving the car at 30 mph.