interpaul

Is semen retention aligned with the Tao

I've read a lot online about the practice of semen retention as a tool for enhancing spiritual growth. I wonder if this practice of retaining sexual energy is contrary to Taoist principles as it seems like an unnatural channeling of energy.  

I think that’s the right correlation
We cannot pet anything much without doing it mischief. :wub:

8 hours ago, dosa said:

I think that’s the right correlation
We cannot pet anything much without doing it mischief. :wub:

I'm confused by your response. Are you saying semen retention is correlated with spiritual growth? My question is about whether semen retention is an unnatural retaining of the vital energy.  I assume your second sentence refers to masturbation as the problem.  If you are in support of the practice of semen retention do you feel it aligns with the principles of Taoism?  

4 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

I always thought The Daodejing suggested a balance of all things. 

Ahhhhhh  ....      a sensible person !

A person who has balanced emotions ... particularly when 'sexual function' is added to the mix -  is fairly accomplished and  rare IMO .

For some, the scales need to be balanced and this can create a 'tip and sway' before stability is found . 

;

• Like 3

On 9/28/2018 at 2:11 PM, Fa Xin said:

I always thought The Daodejing suggested a balance of all things. 

It does seem to but the intense energy needed to push against release of sexual energy seems contrary to the Tao.  The teachings of Mantak Chia seem to point to a place where you can have your cake and eat it to.   

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 2:36 PM, vonkrankenhaus said:

"Is semen retention aligned with the Tao"?

If the first semen was retained, who would be asking?

-VonKrankenhaus

True.  The question is does this fit with a practice, after the procreative years, that is balanced.  It seems semen retention at its core is about pushing against the momentum of the expression of sexual energy.  So far I haven't found the ability to truly channel those energies in a way that feels balanced and sustainable. 

13 minutes ago, interpaul said:

It does seem to but the intense energy needed to push against release of sexual energy seems contrary to the Tao.  The teachings of Mantak Chia seem to point to a place where you can have your cake and eat it to.   

Sexual energy is natural. It’s where it’s directed that’s important. Pushing against anything seems contrary to the Tao, as the Tao (as I interpret it) is about moving WITH the flow.

1 hour ago, Fa Xin said:

Sexual energy is natural. It’s where it’s directed that’s important. Pushing against anything seems contrary to the Tao, as the Tao (as I interpret it) is about moving WITH the flow.

I only became aware of the semen retention practices after discovering these practices as a recommendation from a Taoist.

1 hour ago, Fa Xin said:

I am trying to explore that as an option.  Since I came to trying this practice after someone recommended this Taoist practice it's only recently that I've come to question if it is truly in alignment with the Tao.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, interpaul said:

I am trying to explore that as an option.  Since I came to trying this practice after someone recommended this Taoist practice it's only recently that I've come to question if it is truly in alignment with the Tao.

Its a thin line to walk, sexual stuff with spiritual stuff can be confusing. Very confusing. 

I’ll give you my own thoughts on the matter:

Self control is good. I find if I take breaks from sexual releasing, my energy goes up and I feel strong. It’s good. But there comes a point where the urge is incredibly strong... and at that point, the distractions it causes and mental struggle is simply not worth it. Release and move on. This is the balance part I was talking about. Forcing it and trying to hold onto the energy is just as bad as using it up IMO. 

Edited by Fa Xin

4 hours ago, interpaul said:

The question is does this fit with a practice, after the procreative years, that is balanced.  It seems semen retention at its core is about pushing against the momentum of the expression of sexual energy.  So far I haven't found the ability to truly channel those energies in a way that feels balanced and sustainable. 

Reproduction is just the casting off of excess into another being.

Eating and Sexual Function are linked.

So to control and refine eating will produce sexual control too.

Then you do not need so much work to put this excess energy here, or there, or sublimate - why have it at all?

Better to understand the balance between the individual and the environment, and that "food" is the most concentrated form of the environment that we are taking in. 

-VonKrankenhaus

1 hour ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

Then you do not need so much work to put this excess energy here, or there, or sublimate - why have it at all?

Better to understand the balance between the individual and the environment, and that "food" is the most concentrated form of the environment that we are taking in. 

An interesting point.  I don't know that my wife would like the sentiment of"casting off of excess into another being."  I'd be interested in hearing how this practice plays out for you.  Are you a vegetarian?  Do you have a specific diet that you feel creates balance for you?  

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by interpaul
wrong placement of content

An interesting point.  I don't know that my wife would like the sentiment of"casting off of excess into another being."  I'd be interested in hearing how this practice plays out for you.  Are you a vegetarian?  Do you have a specific diet that you feel creates balance for you?  

3 hours ago, Fa Xin said:

Its a thin line to walk, sexual stuff with spiritual stuff can be confusing. Very confusing. 

I’ll give you my own thoughts on the matter:

Self control is good. I find if I take breaks from sexual releasing, my energy goes up and I feel strong. It’s good. But there comes a point where the urge is incredibly strong... and at that point, the distractions it causes and mental struggle is simply not worth it. Release and move on. This is the balance part I was talking about. Forcing it and trying to hold onto the energy is just as bad as using it up IMO. 

The more I've tried to explore this path the  more my experiences follow what you outline.  The prior path of releasing hasn't always been healthy for me either as there's a sense of it never being enough.  That is what has forced me to explore alternatives.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, interpaul said:

I don't know that my wife would like the sentiment of"casting off of excess into another being."  I'd be interested in hearing how this practice plays out for you.  Are you a vegetarian?  Do you have a specific diet that you feel creates balance for you?  

It is a fact though, that sex drive and actual reproduction both decline in starving populations, and that farmers generally have the biggest families by having immediate access to more food.

I have been studying Internal Cultivation and Qigong since the early 70s.

For the past 40 years, I have researched and studied also Chang Ming Shu - Long life techniques, including understanding the environment and "food" in relation to cultivation.

In terms of how important this is: There is not any part of us or any organ in our body not made of "food".

The brain we are thinking with is 100% made of food, which means made of specific parts of the overall environment.

So food is a way of working with the polarities we are in with the overall environment, and movement between the poles of any polarity is "energy" or "Qi", which is what we work with in Qigong and cultivation generally.

-VonKrankenhaus

On 9/29/2018 at 10:56 PM, vonkrankenhaus said:

-VonKrankenhaus

Absolutely diet and sexual balance are intertwined. Find your ability to control any appetite and you control them all. 

Nothing to obsess over. Be natural. Listen deeply to your body. Give it sparing what it wants, but always what it needs. 

Good luck on your path brother. 

Edited by yugenphoenix
Change
  • Like 1

All very good comments in this thread already. I personally think 'semen retention' is too broad and misleading of a term, not to mention sexist. That 'power lock' fiasco is possibly Mantak Chia's biggest downfall. Having to use force to contain sperms in a pressure cooker is folly. Sexual conservation is a different thing than all that. There's a word you don't see very often anymore, but that used to be a huge part of spiritual life: Chastity. Even that word has taken on some strange contexts, so to get the meaning across, they now call Chasteness.

Furthermore, in internal alchemy, male and female usually means some types of movement and stillness. Too many interpreters had their mind in the gutter. Even further still, remember that there are endocrine glands all over the place. Just because a pineal gland wants to squirt out some tryptamine, it's maybe reminiscent of an orgasm, but it's a totally different ballpark.

Now, i will never claim to have all the answers. Everything has its place! Also sex magic is a thing, but it's specific and risky. 

• Like 2