3bob

home plumbing (can include carpentry, wiring, etc.)

the only problem with hiding your tools in a safe place where no one can see and then ask to borrow them (and who also forget to return them),  is that you forget where that safe place is and have to search every inch of the house or shed to find them again...:P

• Like 2

another tip: if you see a tool that you can not live without wait at least three days before you buy it...

(unless it is on sale  ;))

• Like 2

Always hire a trained licensed and insured arborist for tree removal. The video demonstrates the dangers of untrained persons cutting down trees.

• Like 1

I cut part of a tree down in my backyard about a month ago,  I tied one end of a rope onto a big limb and the other end to my neighbors 3/4 ton truck parked at about triple the distance that the limb could possibly fall,  he was was supposed to keep tension on the rope by gradually  backing up his truck as I then cut into the limb from up on a ladder...well he kind of lost his attention or something and didn't keep much tension on the rope to help direct the limbs fall away from my shed as I was cutting.  I had calculated the worse case scenario for a poor limb fall which then took place, resulting in a minor side swipe to my shed which incurred no damage...anyway even the best and safest laid plans are only as good as the actors involved.  (professional or rookie, which reminds me of a story about a runaway cement truck headed towards a neighbors house but I'll save that for another day) 

• Like 1

Ok, a few updates:

1.  Garage door sensors were replaced and then some.

We called out some to replace the sensors but they talked us into replacing the door motor, sensors and opener.  I wish I had thought of this many years ago as it solved a few problems:

a. sensors replaced

b. motor is smaller and stronger and quieter and moved closer to door; now the light which was too tight to the motor can be a bigger light.

2. Cabinet falls in kitchen

The unit we rent out... a cabinet, after 10 years, fell off the wall !  WTF :o    They lost some important stuff they kept in a cabinet... I don't know who keeps important stuff in a cabinet but they did.

I used some wood glue with straps to pull the cabinet broken parts together; then used right angle supports at all corners to reinforce it.  When I went to re-hang it, saw they did not even go into the second set of studs !   And the corner side, they got just 1 screw into a stud...   I got 6 screws into a stud now; I could sleep on top of this thing now.  Bad news is, I looked at my unit next door and my same cabinet shows signs of pulling away from the wall.  I reported this to the HOA...   I'll hold my breath and die.

3. Super Glue

If you read one of these items, this is the gem of history of invention... the guy who invented this should get the nobel peace prize as this has singularly kept my house peaceful more than any repair item ;)

Fixed a microwave handle... but that is not the story.

I have now fixed three computers with case, screws, or attachment issues that repair shops have said cannot be fixed.   

Get the new gell style as it does not run all over your hands and lock fingers together  :D 

Chuffed with my new flooded gum decking out from the front doors ...... crisp !    Especially after forking out a few dollars more for a countersink attachment ....

image.png.4bab3bc4243144cdd38441047afa0906.png

very neat appearance   :)

Next job , build a 'bathroom'  .   Got the 4 holes dug to subsoil for concrete pillars, got the HD stirrups, and two V large  floor bearers. Next, put the joists on, some  cement sheet bathroom flooring, covered in slate tile .  Walled in on  bad weather side, open to the bamboo and garden on the other side.  It will mostly be a shower and laundry room, I want to keep the outside garden bath with  fire  where it is and revamp that.   Its a luxury !

image.png.52a8bbb630a7afdb6b3460011947e5eb.png

'Bathroom' is so I can wash during the cold or bad weather  ... no more outside cold water hose showers, thanks. 

For privacy I think I go for a 'spiral' shower stall/ screen .

image.png.dfe76d1bcbecdf5f0574dd18f653a3bf.png

I can whip one up  out of sheets  of plastic roofing sheets  ( they bend in one direction easily and fairly rigid in other direction 

.image.png.de58802ab809c5dfc030e46edd91318d.png

You can use opaque , or two sheets together of clear, with layers of dried plant leaves and things in between .

The plumbing out?  A simple drain and pipe leading to a small swale  with  red and blue ginger and monsterio plants  - they seem to love 'grey water'   ( I use bio- degradable products) , 

• Like 2