Sign in to follow this  
William

Hi, I'm William

I'm writting this from spain, I'm from there, so sorry for the grammar and ortography mistakes. 

I'm so interested since a few weeks ago about dao, and I bought some books that talks about it. I'm here because I'm having problems understanding the verses of the tao te ching. I know the book is not written to be understood, but... how should I read it, then? how to read beyond logic? you can call me stupid, but I don't know what that means that exactly.

Anyway, I'm so happy for found a forum where talk and know more about dao, and share our knowledge. A great salute!

• Like 2

Hello, William and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi William,

I always recommend reading the Tao Te Ching, then reading the Chuang Tzu, then read as many translations of the Tao Te Ching as you can to get a well-rounded understanding of Taoist philosophy.  Where you go from there will be based on your personal needs.  A good source for numerous translations of both can be found here:  https://terebess.hu/english/lexikon/c.html

You are welcome to jump right in ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forms to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Marblehead

On 1/14/2018 at 9:24 PM, William said:

I know the book is not written to be understood, but... how should I read it, then?

Hi William,

Read the Tao Te Ching as you would poetry. Read it. Think about it. Discover how it makes you feel. Discuss it with others. Come back to it again and again. Over time you may find your understanding of a verse, or a phrase, or even a single word changing. It gets deeper and richer as time passes. Eventually you may find it's just a book. To each their own.

Welcome to TDB!

• Like 3

On 1/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, William said:

I'm writting this from spain, I'm from there, so sorry for the grammar and ortography mistakes. 

I'm so interested since a few weeks ago about dao, and I bought some books that talks about it. I'm here because I'm having problems understanding the verses of the tao te ching. I know the book is not written to be understood, but... how should I read it, then? how to read beyond logic? you can call me stupid, but I don't know what that means that exactly.

Anyway, I'm so happy for found a forum where talk and know more about dao, and share our knowledge. A great salute!

There are many different views on the meaning of the Tao Te Ching, and you can find some very good discussion by various members in the TTC forum. But, I would say that it is not really possible to read beyond logic, as such meaning is found in the mind and mind is subject to your logic and frameworks. But, it is possible to feel more. Try reading, taste it and then try to take it into your heart. Trust in “God” or the universe itself for the understanding. Over time you will first begin to notice a little vibration or pressure at the heart, when you feel that, trust your instinct. Simply let it flow...

• Like 1

Hola William! Bienvenido.

It's not often that someone arrives here really interested in the daodejing, so, congratulations for that :) in my humble opinion you're aiming at the right target.

The DDJ is the book I offer the most always telling people: this isn't something for you to read, this is something for you to have! So, if someday you want to read it you already have it. Let me tell you why this is so: when I bought the DDJ for the first time it made no sense to me, so I left it on a shelf for two years untill the day (two years later) I picked it up again and fell in love with it. Sometime later e remembered a dream that I've had, years before buying the book,  with the clear simbology of the DDJ, So, I guess it was somehow "destined" for me :)

Read the book if you can, if you can't, nevermind ( as Lao Tzu suggests ) just don't be anxious about it.

All the best

oak

• Like 2

Welcome to the site.

If you want to go beyond logic.  Think of a question that's bothering you, then open the DDJ to a random page and read.  See what insights (if any) the passage has for your problem.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this