Phoenix3

Does music deplete qi/jing?

On 4/7/2018 at 9:26 PM, DaoKeeper said:

I personally like to hear the music of the far gone Past. It could me Medieval rythm music or ancient Chinese flute or Christian Church Chorus.

As an example, please let me share this magnificent piece of the Art with you, which I personnaly very like ^^

Oh, Dear, this is Allegri's Miserere! Interesting enough, I have been listening to this piece of Art quite often lately. Listening to it is definitely cleanses a heart, for sure.

Edited by Kara_mia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kara_mia said:

definitely cleanses a heart, for sure.

Could you please  describe what exactly is happening during listening to this.
I mean can you feel your heart is cleaning?

Thank you.

Hello!
The time has passed,
Practice went well
I feel cleanness and fresh

Spoiler

And I don't need to listen to this Miserere song any more :P

Spoiler

Daoism rules! B)

High level and quality music - depending on the genre and artist - has the potential to heal, energize, calm, supercharge your meditation practice, even induce meditation/altered states of consciousness on its own, and so on.

Music is magic.

Edited by Ekstasis
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ekstasis said:

has the potential to heal, energize, calm, supercharge your meditation

Agreed with the first part - but the highlighted part I don’t agree with.

It depends on how you define meditation - nowadays its a catch-all term. But originally meditation was the practice of entering complete stillness.

Music on the other hand is an expression of movement. Sometimes quite deep and profound movement - but not stillness - not meditation.

And this relates back to the original post. The Dao De Jing, I believe, is a meditation manual... so not delighting in sensory pleasure (music, food etc) is used as a method to enter the profound states of inner stillness during retreat for example.

So this doesn’t mean you have to avoid tasty food and music in daily life :) 

Hey freeform,

Deep and flowing ambient music for example can deepen the meditation experience. But I agree, it depends on how you define meditation.

3 hours ago, Ekstasis said:

High level and quality music - depending on the genre and artist - has the potential to heal, energize, calm, supercharge your meditation practice, even induce meditation/altered states of consciousness on its own, and so on.

Music is magic.

I totally agree. Music has been a great spiritual healer for me over the years. My tastes are quite eclectic and I'm constantly discovering new music which in the past has passed me by.

My two loves in the world are spiritual cultivation and listening to quality music.

• Like 1