Julia Cobbett

Spiritual Qigong that develops Chi

Julia,

You are using stepping stones.  All entities, such as you or I, do that.  Eventually, given enough time, we will all have wordless passwords and transmissions etched inside of us.  We will not need it from anyone or anything else. Just remember this: If you feel the least uncomfortable, at or on any of these stepping stones, (no matter how valid you may have felt that stone is or was) this site has a huge supply of benevolent resources willing to help.

Edited by moment
comma
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, moment said:

You are using stepping stones.  All entities, such as you or I, do that.  Eventually, given enough time we will all have wordless passwords and transmissions etched inside of us

Hi moment,

Because we have found ourselves on roads less travelled?

- LimA

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 9:33 AM, Julia Cobbett said:

I’d like to introduce myself and get some advice.  I am 27 years old, healthy American woman, fairly new to Qigong and Taoism though not to meditation which I have been practicing for about 12 years from the Thai Theravada Buddhist school of thought.

I'd be interested in what you've learned or gained after 12 years of meditation?  Also, what position do you normally meditate in?

And another "thought" question in general is why even with great instructors, many students still fail to "get" whatever it is the Master has "gotten."  There are countless examples of students (of various internal martial arts, qigong, etc) dutifully mimicking their teachers and going through all the same motions, yet never actually attaining their same ability.

That was the time when I studied with Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido.

After one of us was thrown down by Morihei and rolled on the wooden floor, he would kneel and keep him down with a little finger, making no effort whatsoever. Sometimes he sat on his knees and let all of us try to push him down, he was so relaxed with a smile and it was impossible to move him an inch however hard we tried. I had no idea how this short man with a white beard could do such a miraculous thing, and there was no clue for me to get the secret of the art.

Billions of followers of Yeshua, yet how many of them could walk on water?

Meanwhile, there ARE some students who do "get it," and a rare few who even "get more" than their venerable teachers...

So the question becomes, what's the differences here?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff said:

A mantra or password is a concept or mapping in local mind. A true deity is not something that can be translated into words. This is why they say the Dao that can be named is not the Dao. Additionally, in most of the traditions you described (Christianity, Islam, etc...) they specifically say that one cannot name God. 

For a deity and mantra to be one, that deity would have to be a (local) mind conception. One can call spirit beings with a “phone number”, but must surrender (or open) to a deity, and the deity may come (or not).

not sure... I understand... when one surrender.. how does that? how can one know one really surrendered a deity and not an illusion... or mistakenly another entity?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, centertime said:

not sure... I understand... when one surrender.. how does that? how can one know one really surrendered a deity and not an illusion... or mistakenly another entity?

It is taught or described differently in each system, but access of true divine beings is well beyond what many call 3rd eye (or astral) stuff. Hence, one would already be familar with visions, energy and things like that. A divine being will be felt (or sort of stream in) at the crown. Additionally, it is not just an energy feeling (or seeing stuff), it will be combined with powerful mental clarity (or quieting of the mind). For those familar with more astral like experiences, the difference is very noticeable. 

• Like 2

Regarding the Pangu Shengong “password”, although it’s called a “password” it’s definitely not something that’s hidden, exclusive, or mysterious in anyway...it’s more that it’s like a “telephone number to energy” or a focused way to open your heart. It goes like this (see if you notice anything):

Take kindness and benevolence as basis,

Take frankness and friendliness to heart

As part of Pangu Shengong, you’re taught that reciting it (especially with the palms facing up) can help you open up to energy from the universe (aka Pangu). For what it’s worth, maintaining a calm, kind and benevolent mindset does this too - the password just gives some folks guidance for how to get there.

Hope this helps! Disclaimer: practiced PGSG for ~18 months.

• Like 9

I've found that most chi kung is pathetic in it's weakness and lack of methods, particularly the powerful methods of moving energy or cultivating chi power.  Most have very little clue as to what can help the spiritual cultivation part and are absolutely not organized to go in that direction.  If you meditate you might as well add some Taoist energy cultivation methods to the meditation because the Buddhists and Hindus are mostly clueless about it.  Sure, some of their meditations work with energy but in the weakest manner possible and lack the fundamental types of progression which leads to fast results.

Lot's of posters like to parade around with their systems or techniques which they think are powerful but in truth they only do that because they have nothing real to compare them to ... except for other wimpy chi kung and meditations.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Starjumper said:

I've found that most chi kung is pathetic in it's weakness and lack of methods, particularly the powerful methods of moving energy or cultivating chi power.  Most have very little clue as to what can help the spiritual cultivation part and are absolutely not organized to go in that direction.  If you meditate you might as well add some Taoist energy cultivation methods to the meditation because the Buddhists and Hindus are mostly clueless about it.  Sure, some of their meditations work with energy but in the weakest manner possible and lack the fundamental types of progression which leads to fast results.

Lot's of posters like to parade around with their systems or techniques which they think are powerful but in truth they only do that because they have nothing real to compare them to ... except for other wimpy chi kung and meditations.

Hello,

So what is powerful then in your experience?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, centertime said:

Hello,

So what is powerful then in your experience?

Some medical chi kungs are powerful enough for healing some things but the do not address spiritual cultivation or chi power.  Zahn Zhuang (strenuous standing meditations) is good for cultivating chi power but it doesn't 'work' with it in the way the ones which include movement do, and it also does not address spiritual cultivation per se, it depends on which posture is used, and for spiritual cultivation using chi power they really should be used in a certain progression which takes some decades to go through.

The types of chi kung for spiritual growth and chi power are the ones termed nei kung, but the real nei kung is extremely rare and generally hidden.  You have to watch out because now that people have learned the new words 'nei kung' in this age of kali yuga, there are all kinds of scammers, money grubbers, fools and the rest claiming to teach nei kung when they really are clueless.

In brief, if you find nei kung advertised anywhere, particularly if it is said to be quick and easy and not taking decades, then it is a lie, plain and simple.  Real nei kung teachers keep a pretty low profile and stay hidden, have very few students and they do not charge much.  They are wizards, top level kung fu masters with some Jedi abilities, and some have near miraculous healing abilities.  I appear to be the only one offering real nei kung to the public, and that is because my teacher asked me to teach and because I'm the kind of idiot who doesn't want to bastardize it like is done with the very few who know real nei kung but instead offer chi kung.  Chi kung being small sets of exercises taken from vast nei kung systems and then messed up to make the simple things seem deeper, making the teacher feel and look wiser and being a holder of 'things'.  The wise ones realize that 99% or more of 'seekers' don't have what it takes to go through with the real thing so they pander to the masses in order to make a living.  There is also the strong Chinese tradition of not teaching the real or deep things to most others, and particularly to round eyes.  My teacher was an exception to that rule.

Here is a good description of real nei kung in this brief video:

I have described nei kung here in a thread titled: 'The Ten Thousand Ways of Nei Kung, and scattered around here and there, like in this thread.

Edit, oh ya, I also have a thread about my hermitage.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2

I noticed the original poster said develop chi instead of develop chi power, but really, cultivating power is what it's all about, or should be.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:33 AM, Julia Cobbett said:

I would like to explore a more traditional Qigong/Neigong lineage and would like some advice as to where to begin. I live in the Austin, Texas area. Thanks.

-Julia

I have a couple of students who live near Austin Texas, you can learn more from them than from those who advertise, if you send me a PM I can refer you to each other.

Lee Holden is a kindergarten level money grubber and self promoter,  Terry Dunn has simplistic stuff and holds constant tension in his face.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

I noticed the original poster said develop chi instead of develop chi power, but really, cultivating power is what it's all about, or should be.

Can you explain to me the difference between developing chi and developing chi power? Thanks!

1 minute ago, Julia Cobbett said:

Can you explain to me the difference between developing chi and developing chi power? Thanks!

In my view they mean more or less the same thing but people could develop sensitivity to chi without developing any power.  Developing sensitivity to chi is the first step so you could say that it is a beginning level to developing chi power.  Most systems stop short at different points along the Way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

In my view they mean more or less the same thing but people could develop sensitivity to chi without developing any power.  Developing sensitivity to chi is the first step so you could say that it is a beginning level to developing chi power.  Most systems stop short at different points along the Way.

Thank you.  I already am sensitive and feel the movements of chi. It would be more accurate then to say that I’m interested in developing chi power, but doing so using moving forms (not standing still or sitting practices).  I already get a lot from my Buddhist sitting practices, but you are right in that they are not focused on developing chi power. For me the Buddhist sitting practices have developed concentration, mindfulness, sensitivity, compassion and insight. That is why I am looking into Taoist methods for developing chi power as that is mostly lacking in the Buddhist methods I am familiar with.

-Julia

• Like 2

On 11/18/2017 at 0:42 PM, gendao said:

I'd be interested in what you've learned or gained after 12 years of meditation?  Also, what position do you normally meditate in?

And another "thought" question in general is why even with great instructors, many students still fail to "get" whatever it is the Master has "gotten."  There are countless examples of students (of various internal martial arts, qigong, etc) dutifully mimicking their teachers and going through all the same motions, yet never actually attaining their same ability.

Billions of followers of Yeshua, yet how many of them could walk on water?

Meanwhile, there ARE some students who do "get it," and a rare few who even "get more" than their venerable teachers...

So the question becomes, what's the differences here?

The person I was 12 years ago before practicing Buddhist meditation seems very different than who I am now.  For one thing anapanna satti (breath watching meditation) and vipassana (observing the sensations in the mind-body as a witness) has helped me develop concentration and the ability to focus fully on any task I am doing with mindfulness rather than being scattered-minded as I was in the past.  That in itself is very useful in life. I also feel more loving and compassionate due to the practice of Metta (Loving-kindness) meditation and I sleep better. I am more relaxed.  Certain insights about the meaning of life have dawned on me through my practice. I am still practicing, one day at a time.

The position I normally meditate in? Well it’s usually the half-lotus (sidhasana) and when I’m feeling really enthusiastic then it’s the full lotus (padmasana) position. I find that I get my best meditation experiences in these two positions.

As to why some students get it or not, I have no idea. If I ventured to guess, I’d say their personal karma comes into play and how much merit they have accumulated in the past as well as the development of their morality/ethics.  Theravada Buddhism teaches that all these things are a necessary foundation for meditation and students will often engage in charitable acts to build merit as well as try to live an ethical lifestyle according to the eightfold path taught by the Buddha.

-Julia

Edited by Julia Cobbett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Starjumper said:

Lee Holden is a kindergarten level money grubber and self promoter,  Terry Dunn has simplistic stuff and holds constant tension in his face.

Lee Holden was a good intro for me to Qi Gong, but you are right that it was kindergarten level, which was perfect at the time I started because I knew very little as a beginner. Now that I have gotten my feet wet i’ve been looking into deeper and more powerful methods. I’m not going to comment on the money grubbing or self-promotion you state about him since I do not know him personally. His DVD’s were easy to understand and reasonably priced so it was a good start. But we all have to grow up sometime, and I think it’s time for me to do so also as far as my practice of Qi Gong. 😜  I am grateful to him for getting me started.

-Julia

• Like 2

22 hours ago, moment said:

Julia,

You are using stepping stones.  All entities, such as you or I, do that.  Eventually, given enough time, we will all have wordless passwords and transmissions etched inside of us.  We will not need it from anyone or anything else. Just remember this: If you feel the least uncomfortable, at or on any of these stepping stones, (no matter how valid you may have felt that stone is or was) this site has a huge supply of benevolent resources willing to help.

Yes, I think that I have been using stepping stones, which is fine for a beginner like myself. Direct access to deities or higher energies without mantras/passwords I’m sure is possible but it’s more advanced and one probably has to build up to that level, preferably with a good mentor to guide one. I’m working on that! 😁

-Julia

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nyerstudent said:

As part of Pangu Shengong, you’re taught that reciting it (especially with the palms facing up) can help you open up to energy from the universe (aka Pangu). For what it’s worth, maintaining a calm, kind and benevolent mindset does this too - the password just gives some folks guidance for how to get there.

Hope this helps! Disclaimer: practiced PGSG for ~18 months.

Thanks. I received my moving form correspondence course in the mail yesterday and started practicing Pangu Shengong last night for the first time after watching the DVD. I did feel the Energy strongly as it accumulated and circulated in me and I slept like a baby afterwards. It’s quite marvelous actually considering it’s simplicity.

-Julia

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jeff said:

It is taught or described differently in each system, but access of true divine beings is well beyond what many call 3rd eye (or astral) stuff. Hence, one would already be familar with visions, energy and things like that. A divine being will be felt (or sort of stream in) at the crown. Additionally, it is not just an energy feeling (or seeing stuff), it will be combined with powerful mental clarity (or quieting of the mind). For those familar with more astral like experiences, the difference is very noticeable. 

You sound like an advanced practitioner who can connect directly with deities and higher energies. I am happy you and others are here to explain some things to us newbies. Please excuse my neophyte ignorance.

-Julia

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Julia Cobbett said:

Lee Holden was a good intro for me to Qi Gong, but you are right that it was kindergarten level, which was perfect at the time I started because I knew very little as a beginner. Now that I have gotten my feet wet i’ve been looking into deeper and more powerful methods. I’m not going to comment on the money grubbing or self-promotion you state about him since I do not know him personally. His DVD’s were easy to understand and reasonably priced so it was a good start. But we all have to grow up sometime, and I think it’s time for me to do so also as far as my practice of Qi Gong. 😜  I am grateful to him for getting me started.

-Julia

Well there ya go, everything has it's good and it's bad side, and I often overlook that 'good' side' which you mentioned about Lee.  The way I heard it put goes like this.  "Some paths wander around the base of the mountain and drop you off at the base of the mountain.  Some other paths take you some ways up the mountain and drop you off where you might find another path that goes further up, and a few paths (very few) take you straight from the base to the mountain top."

The way of the world and of yin and yang make it so that the number of these paths follow an inverse proportion rule, and here for you consumption are a couple of inverse proportion graphs.

inverseAB_html_312c230d.png

1041354021974.9153_a9c9fc07a42e10e1b3200

In this last graph the vertical scale would represent quantity of schools (how many there are) and the horizontal scale would represent quality of teachings (how advanced they get) in the cultivation of spiritual growth and chi power.  How fat the middle part is, represented by the green arrow, would represent the general quality of the more common average types of chi kung.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Well there ya go, everything has it's good and it's bad side, and I often overlook that 'good' side' which you mentioned about Lee.  The way I heard it put goes like this.  "Some paths wander around the base of the mountain and drop you off at the base of the mountain.  Some other paths take you some ways up the mountain and drop you off where you might find another path that goes further up, and a few paths (very few) take you straight from the base to the mountain top."

The way of the world and of yin and yang make it so that the number of these paths follow an inverse proportion rule, and here for you consumption are a couple of inverse proportion graphs.

inverseAB_html_312c230d.png

1041354021974.9153_a9c9fc07a42e10e1b3200

In this last graph the vertical scale would represent quantity of schools (how many there are) and the horizontal scale would represent quality of teachings (how advanced they get) in the cultivation of spiritual growth and chi power.  How fat the middle part is, represented by the green arrow, would represent the general quality of the more common average types of chi kung.

You have spoken Wisdom.  Very good analogy with graphs to explain. Thank you Starjumper! 😍👍👍

-Julia

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julia Cobbett said:

You sound like an advanced practitioner who can connect directly with deities and higher energies. I am happy you and others are here to explain some things to us newbies. Please excuse my neophyte ignorance.

-Julia

No neophyte ignorance at all. You can feel that your heart is open and currently transmitting, so the divine is definitely accessible to you. While I am sure that you can feel your own local body energy movement, your next step is beginning to connect more broadly with others and your environment. In Taoist terms, you have filled the middle and it is now time to open the upper dantien. You could also describe it as starting to move on to shen, from your current chi. Pick your teacher wisely, as many talk about it, but few truly have refined it.

Maybe read chapter 28 from the Tao Te Ching and invert it a little. As you know the heart of a woman, but need to learn the strength of a man (balancing energy flows), before you can touch the stream of the universe (beginning divine). In Buddhist terms, you may want to consider some father tantras.

Also, I apologize in advance if I have been rude with saying too much with my comments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

No neophyte ignorance at all. You can feel that your heart is open and currently transmitting, so the divine is definitely accessible to you. While I am sure that you can feel your own local body energy movement, your next step is beginning to connect more broadly with others and your environment. In Taoist terms, you have filled the middle and it is now time to open the upper dantien. You could also describe it as starting to move on to shen, from your current chi. Pick your teacher wisely, as many talk about it, but few truly have refined it.

Maybe read chapter 28 from the Tao Te Ching and invert it a little. As you know the heart of a woman, but need to learn the strength of a man (balancing energy flows), before you can touch the stream of the universe (beginning divine). In Buddhist terms, you may want to consider some father tantras.

Also, I apologize in advance if I have been rude with saying too much with my comments.

No apologies necessary. You have given me much food for thought.  I will take your advice to heart and start applying it to the best of my ability.

Live long and prosper,

-Julia

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starjumper said:

XXX is a kindergarten level money grubber and self promoter,  YYY has simplistic stuff and holds constant tension in his face.

Good Morning Steve

Don't be cheeky. To each his own.

- Anand

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Chi power - positive or negative? For good use or abuse? ...?