CedarTree

Favorite Daoist Quote

12 minutes ago, OldDog said:

When you drink water, think of its source.  - Chinese proverb

Pee? 

10 minutes ago, Stosh said:

Pee? 

That's the destination.  Source is comets.  (Heaven)

Edited by Marblehead
Edit to add "Heaven".
  • Like 2

He whose law is within himself walks in hiddenness; his acts are not influenced by approval or disapproval.  He who walks in hiddenness has light to guide him in all his acts. 

• Like 4

But for these emotions I should not be. Yet but for me, there would be no one to feel them. So far we can go; but we do not know by whose order they come into play. - Chuangtse 

• Like 2

"Mountain trees plunder themselves. Grease fires broil themselves. Cinnamon is tasty, so the trees are hacked down.  Lacquer is useful, so the trees are cut open. Everyone knows that to be useful is useful, but who knows how useful it is to be useless? "

"Before I begin my practice, I am truly Yen Hui. But once in the midst of my practice, I've never even begun to be Yen Hui. Can this be called emptiness?" 

two parts I really like from Chuang Tzu: Inner Chapters :  - )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I know.  I have allowed myself to be useful lately so naturally I am being used.  But I am in control and can change things any time I wish.  Anyhow, what is being used is my excess so it really doesn't matter all that much.  And I am getting something back in return.

That useful/useless concept is very important.  Most rarely understand its significance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Therefore it is that there is often chaos in the world, and the love of knowledge is ever at the bottom of it. For all men strive to grasp what they do not know, while none strive to grasp what they already know. - Chuangtse

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marblehead said:

He who is controlled by objects loses possession of his inner self.

Is there a lost & found number I can call?  I need to find my inner self. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.

Where can I find someone who's forgotten words so I can have a word with him?..."

Well,  there are the " the doaist bum's" at lest one of them might have something to say about it.

• Like 4

That which man apprehends by observation is only outward form and color, name and sound.  Form and color, name and sound do not reach to reality.

• Like 4

Hexagram 56, the traveler.  walking the unknown road to no where in particular.  taking the trip, just to walk the unknown , not knowing road. 

• Like 6

To hold it upright and fill it is not so good as stopping in time; when you pound it out and give it a point it won’t be preserved very long. 

He who knows what it is that Heaven does, and knows what it is that man does, has reached the peak. Knowing what it is that Heaven does, he lives with Heaven. Knowing what it is that man does, he uses the knowledge of what he knows to help out the knowledge of what he doesn’t know and lives out the years that Heaven gave him without being cut off midway—this is the perfection of knowledge.

• Like 2

If a person thinks in terms of attaining something, that means he believes there is something to obtain or achieve external to his own nature. It means that he fails to realize that his own true nature is the integral nature of the universe itself. 

- Hua Hu Ching (Ni Hua-Ching)

• Like 3

I am no more a Taoist by virtue of reading the Lao Tzu than I am a physicist from reading Einstein's The Meaning of Relativity.

- Harold D Roth, Original Tao

• Like 1

The key to understanding the natural order of things is dissolving the barriers between subject and object; knower and known, seer and seen.

- Eva Wong, Lieh-tzu: A Taoist Guide to Practical Living

Edited by OldDog
Manually correcting the autocorrection
  • Like 1

It is ever so that in the life of man, Heaven produces his essence and Earth produces his form. - Neiye

• Like 2