Sign in to follow this  
Ilovecoffee

Editing other's posts in PPF

1 hour ago, alfheim said:

He could have sent me a pm concerning it I wouldn't have minded to be guinea pig if I knew about it. The next option would have been to comment on doing so in the thread for everyone to see. The third option would have been to just hit save without adding his text. The fourth option would have been to add something like "this is a test".

But its not even about this specific case or if he had a reason or if it was just an accident. The whole idea of allowing normal users to edit every post with the label of other users is backwards. Just let them hide posts that's enough to keep threads clean.

I pretty much agree with what you are saying here.  I think that 小梦想  owes you and also us Mods, because we have had to deal with this, an apology for his actions.  I also don't think that editing should be alllowed, but it may not be possible to not give that along with the power to hide.  This is a recent upgrade and it was delayed longer than it should be because of ways in which it endangered such feature as these PPFs.  There has been a lot of tinkering with categories of moderation and how much is possible in any particular level.  We have worked out a lot of  problems, but some may remain, and it could be a choice of giving the editing power, or no PPFs, and we think that most Dao Bums would prefer having the PPFs.

1 hour ago, alfheim said:

True but how many do you believe will read my post and
1.see the small edit at the bottom isn't mine
2.make the conclusion from that most of the text in my post must be not from me

Even if the Edit function has to remain, I don't see this as a problem that ruins forum integrity the way the iceberg sunk the Titanic.  The vast majority of people here have been very reserved in their use of the powers which have been granted to them.  They come here to freely discuss matters and with rare exceptions, they tolerate the free expression of others.  Since this is the first time that this has happened, Mods and Admin will be discussing the issue internally, and more than likely, if the Edit function has to remain, future actions like 小梦想 did will not be treated lightly.

Zhongyongdaoist, Mod

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zhongyongdaoist said:

I pretty much agree with what you are saying here.  I think that 小梦想  owes you and also us Mods, because we have had to deal with this, an apology for his actions.  I also don't think that editing should be alllowed, but it may not be possible to not give that along with the power to hide.  This is a recent upgrade and it was delayed longer than it should be because of ways in which it endangered such feature as these PPFs.  There has been a lot of tinkering with categories of moderation and how much is possible in any particular level.  We have worked out a lot of  problems, but some may remain, and it could be a choice of giving the editing power, or no PPFs, and we think that most Dao Bums would prefer having the PPFs.

Even if the Edit function has to remain, I don't see this as a problem that ruins forum integrity the way the iceberg sunk the Titanic.  The vast majority of people here have been very reserved in their use of the powers which have been granted to them.  They come here to freely discuss matters and with rare exceptions, they tolerate the free expression of others.  Since this is the first time that this has happened, Mods and Admin will be discussing the issue internally, and more than likely, if the Edit function has to remain, future actions like 小梦想 did will not be treated lightly.

Zhongyongdaoist, Mod

"I also don't think that editing should be alllowed, but it may not be possible to not give that along with the power to hide."

Indeed it is possible, my PPF was set up so I could hide posts and lock topics, but not edit the content of other people's replies.

When I complained about 小梦想 editing the content of my posts, I was upgraded to be able to edit posts as well.

For the record, I do not want that ability, just 小梦想's ability to edit the content of other's messages removed.

Edited by Ilovecoffee

In some martial ways it's taught that hounding attack an enemy unless they are in your area of control. When they come into your "domain" you can own them, an what happens to them is usually a reflection of the aggression they attempted to show to you, redirection I think is the term.

A ppf is like a person's domain here on the boards, an if you go into their domain they can within the rules and power allotted them do as necessary . If it's an abuse of power and staff finds it as such then they deal with my, if it just sucks for you personally but hasn't broken any rules then it is something you should be aware of before venturing into anyone else's domain again. The universe is teaching you lesson. Whether you think it's fair or not doesn't matter, it's showing you how to survive.

An example is if I go to a church an disobey their rules,whether I know them or not. Those people might project negativity onto me, an ill have to do what I can later on to clean myself of it.

But if I go into a church where I don't know the rules, an proceed with caution, an make a mistake then quickly apologise, the people will be more accepting because they saw I took responsibility for my blunder and made an effort to correct it. They're projection towards me later on will be more favorable because they saw me screw up, but try to make amends.

Understand how this may be applicable in a ppf on the forums here?

Edited by Hancock

On 8/25/2017 at 11:36 PM, Ilovecoffee said:

Absolutely 100% certain, without any lie.

Ask Dawei to go review the logs and say otherwise.

I think as much as he hates us, he is still honest.

Where in the world could you show any demonstration by me of hate toward something called "us" ?  Have you seen staff discussion over the last 5 years to base that on?  Or you base that on banned folks?  Have you talked with those in your so-called group who are not banned... and they believe I hate them too ?  

Your thinking would not be effective as a team member of a work group, nor as a coach, nor as a teacher,  nor as a manager nor as a website admin.  There cannot be any hate towards any particular group to be effective.  I actually feel bad that your cultivation has lead to that idea. 

You have said elsewhere, you don't want folks coming to your website (I guess this is the 'us' again) to troll... yet I've allowed you to troll here... and you want to say I have hate against some group? 

You should seriously look at what your doing and saying and evaluate why you are here once you start accusing the admin of hating 'us'.

Let's stick to the issue...  but how is that for honesty :)

• Like 2

~~~ ADMIN COMMENTS ON PPD PERMISSIONS ~~~

This is a tale of two cities.  

1. This permission has always exited from time TDB immortal... at least since when PPDs were setup as a kind of blog space where a member can just about completely control content within their PPD.   So if a member utilized editing another's post, they were using permissions that were setup.

2. Should the 'edit another post' be allowed ?    

I'm going to say, NO to #2.   I think the permission as given because there is confusion on PPD permissions, even within the staff over the years.   There are some settings that are required to be set to allow the owner to even do something to their own posts and I think 'edit' got caught up in that understanding.    My feeling is the normal group permissions will allow someone to edit their own posts to cover what we need to provide.

The staff will work to remove editing another's post.

I will say, as I was asked to state something about whether it happened or not:  I can say there are logs that show an edit happened, just as the screen shot shows.  To know if there was an actual change would require comparing the current posts to backup logs that I am not going to ask the sys admin to attempt to find for comparison.    The permission was allowed, so it seems a moot point on some level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 小梦想 said:

I did not alter your words or even try to.

I have no idea why that says altered by me because I did not nor did I have any intention to. It is a glitch and nothing more.

Have a read of the post itself, does it seem like anything changed at all? Are those not 100% your words?

IMO... it is easy to have hit edit instead of quote... and then hit save instead of cancel...   despite folks who will laugh at it, Staff have done it too.

I've deleted accounts by mistake, etc. 

I think after so many years, it is likely good to focus on what permissions are allowed within a PPD and that is my focus. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dawei said:

2. Should the 'edit another post' be allowed ?  

I say no as well.

The title of a post can still be edited by the OP editing the first post of a topic. If there is something offensive about a reply, the OP can quote it and remove the what they do not want in their PPD (language, photo, etc.). In quoting and removing content, I think it is import to show some integrity, indicate that portions of the quoted post have been removed and then hide the original post. 

There is no reason for anyone to edit another's post without permission. (I edit Tom's stuff all of the time)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 小梦想 said:

That is a post I made in a different thread altogether.

It is 100% a glitch that it was added to your post in my PPD. I would never intentionally do such a thing but now I understand at least why there is so much anger.

I really do apologize but have no idea how that happened. I would never do such a thing. Making fun of Ilovecoffee is one thing, but being dishonest is not something that I do.

Did you intentionally edit my posts or accidentally edit my posts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 小梦想 said:

I had some time now to look through the thread to see what happened. 

I tried to quote that section of alfheims post and accidentally clicked edit. It was totally and completely by accident.

To shut mr coffee up about this.

Yes, I realized I could edit posts in the PPD and altered mr Coffees posts into posts apologizing for trying to derail the thread. he would not shut up and that PPD would have turned into me endlessly having to hide his constant posts about 2%. I left one of his posts because he is entitled to his say, but only once, not 50 times the same thing. He is a broken record who single-handedly destroys entire threads turning them into 40 pages of arguments. Proof can be found in the "mo pai" and "long men pai nei gong and mo pai" threads if anyone feels I was being too harsh on him. I figured this way he would end up being too scared to post seeing as I could alter them and say anything I wanted. He is a unique stubborn boy who deserves unique treatment to stop him from being annoying in threads and derailing them. 

I did not at all try to alter alfheims post nor will I do it to another member. As you guys can see, as soon as you click edit, your signature appears and it is clear to see whose words are written down. 

Even now as I type this I have seen 2 (before I could finish this paragraph it became 3) notifications that mr coffee is causing further disruption and derailing in the discussions on Jim's level 1 and 2 thread. He is a stubborn child and derails anything that mentions mo pai. I hope you guys can understand the drastic measures in drastic circumstances attitude that was taken solely with him. 

On 8/25/2017 at 11:35 PM, 小梦想 said:

I just checked and only see your own wording. Are you sure something like that happened?

Wouldn't be the first time you were caught lying about things.

Thank you. 

I am satisfied now that I am no longer 'lying".

I hope your life is long, and your practice fruitful.

• Like 1

I have sympathies.  After he complained that it was impossible to have a Mo Pai discussion here without 'haters', I created one in my PPF, and stated the rules clearly- No insults, no spamming, no discussion of the past, only Mo Pai techniques.  Each day ILoveCoffee would spam it with sarcasm.  Which I would hide. 

*Note I don't particularly care about Mo Pai, it was to see if we could have a discussion that was civil (we could), but somehow that was offensive to Ilovecoffee. 

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this