Sign in to follow this  
Sharerp

What careers would help me with my taoist alchemy

Hey, im finishing highschool this year and im almost equally interested by all subjects. By helping me I speak about letting me free time/giving me enough money to pay for clases or resources/ helping me to find a teacher trought connections. I live in Spain if that helps

Something that gives you time or let's you at work at home, like in IT/software development. My opinion. Also, you can work at the pc while in horse stance and probably on a grounding mat. That would be pretty badass :)

I'm joking. Make money, don't seek to work for a company.Try to open something of your own, make sales, and get free time with it so you can practice/research a lot!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sharerp said:

Hey, im finishing highschool this year and im almost equally interested by all subjects. By helping me I speak about letting me free time/giving me enough money to pay for clases or resources/ helping me to find a teacher trought connections. I live in Spain if that helps

Try forest or park ranger if y'all have those. Helps with good areas of meditation an you don't deal with people much so after your duties you'll be able to meditate an cultivate

Starting a small online business. Gather things cheaply at garage sells, thrust shops, and sell them online. It's not a main source of income but it is helpful.

Taxi driving gives you time between fares to meditate or study, an you make decent money over time.

Another one is to find a temp agency and work as a day labourer.

Being a Security guard also gives lots of free time.

Edited by Hancock
  • Like 2

I've been self-employed ever since leaving university. I've bounced around from gigging music and working for promotional agencies on the side to present day where I've managed to hustle myself into a recruitment role where I can work from home (that took me 6 years to get to)

Being paid well for doing less hours is what you're after, but it will take time to build. But above suggestions such as temping usually pays well enough (because the agency will appreciate they can't offer work all the time)

Beware of cabin fever if you do work from home. I get very lonely these days so have to find new things to do! Thankfully I have a Tai Chi class and some old martial arts buddies who I see every week. Sometimes though, I have to go to the local shop and make small talk just to get me out of the house lol

Edited by Rara
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rara said:

I've been self-employed ever since leaving university. I've bounced around from gigging music and working for promotional agencies on the side to present day where I've managed to hustle myself into a recruitment role where I can work from home (that took me 6 years to get to)

Being paid well for doing less hours is what you're after, but it will take time to build. But above suggestions such as temping usually pays well enough (because the agency will appreciate they can't offer work all the time)

Beware of cabin fever if you do work from home. I get very lonely these days so have to find new things to do! Thankfully I have a Tai Chi class and some old martial arts buddies who I see every week. Sometimes though, I have to go to the local shop and make small talk just to get me out of the house lol

I cant let myself work from home, bcz i have always been antisocial, so studying/working away from home is a way to keep me connected with the world

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hancock said:

Try forest or park ranger if y'all have those. Helps with good areas of meditation an you don't deal with people much so after your duties you'll be able to meditate an cultivate

Starting a small online business. Gather things cheaply at garage sells, thrust shops, and sell them online. It's not a main source of income but it is helpful.

Taxi driving gives you time between fares to meditate or study, an you make decent money over time.

Another one is to find a temp agency and work as a day labourer.

Being a Security guard also gives lots of free time.

I always wanted to try being a security guard or a bouncer. Ill probably try those jobs part-time while studying. But long term im looking for a more academic oriented life

12 hours ago, Arramu said:

Something that gives you time or let's you at work at home, like in IT/software development. My opinion. Also, you can work at the pc while in horse stance and probably on a grounding mat. That would be pretty badass :)

I'm joking. Make money, don't seek to work for a company.Try to open something of your own, make sales, and get free time with it so you can practice/research a lot!

I actually have played LOL on horse stance XD

2 hours ago, Sharerp said:

I always wanted to try being a security guard or a bouncer. Ill probably try those jobs part-time while studying. But long term im looking for a more academic oriented life

If looking for long term I suggest you try a variety of jobs and decide which suits you best. Because people often think things are going to be great and find it's not, but they are trapped because that's all they know to do and it pays well. I suggest play the field a bit an experiment, try many temporary jobs. 

A life tip is never to leave one job even if you hate it, til you have secured a new job. An open a savings, 15 percent of your check goes into that and it's not touched for four years. It gives you something to have that grows over time to build your life however you want it in the future, when you want to transition into things or when things get rough an you need to pay bills but we're suddenly fired or an emergency or illness took you out of work. But hopefully that won't happen an at the end of four years you have a hefty sum that will assist with big life purchases or you can continue to grow. Whichever you decide.

Another life tip is to balance your meditation and cultivation with life experience. You go out and have fun and be human. If you don't have life experience then you will have regrets til you do an it'll interfere with your practices at some point. I took a couple years off because even though I was making progress, my teacher told me something was holding me back and sent me away.til I figured it out. I was a virgin, never had a real job, I was socially shy, I never drank, or smoked, or been to a party, I never had fun with. A group of friends, I never had a partner, all those things til my teacher came after my teacher said "keep our teachings filed in the heart , but go out there and live life because you've gone as far as you can til you do." 

It helped I travelled, I learned a lot, I was duped, great and terrible experiences. As my now passed on mentor would say, I had a wonderfully terrible time."

I went out a boy an came back as a man. Part of it was to learn how to continue practicing while interacting with the world we live in. I didn't have the benefit to go to a monastery an devote my life, so my teachers method helped me learn to find a balance and become more than just a spiritual.being, it helped me become a human being in every good and bad sense of the word.

Ultimately though people will give you answers, Damn good answers that worked for them,  but in your own heart you'll feel the way to go about things that are best for you personally.

I wish you well in whatever you do. An remember this, "No matter your spiritual attainment, no matter if you can do great things, no matter if you're more aware and perceptive than others, no matter what - you are still human." People who lose track of their humanity go insane thinking they become Gods or saints or even Buddhas when in truth they are just self deluded because of their growth has given them access to things most can obtain by continuing forward on a spiritual path.

Best wishes fellow traveler

• Like 2

How about a career in Chinese Medicine?

It will help you open many doors since you'll be working in the energy arts field.

Good luck! 

Perhaps a bodywork angle.  Like a professional masseur, combine that with teaching English.  

When I was backpacking in Europe and the Middle East I'd find people with relatively simple skills working and paying there way across the world.  One woman cut hair, she'd let it be known she was a excellent cutter and ask around, charged rather high too, but have scissors will travel.   Another had a suitcase of gold and silver cord, made and sold jewelry where ever they went.  

A couple guys here have lived in China while teaching English.  Its a possibilities in many countries, though its good to have contacts before hand.  

good luck, look for synergy-  your likes & talents combined with what may be in demand/monetized.   

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hancock said:

If looking for long term I suggest you try a variety of jobs and decide which suits you best. Because people often think things are going to be great and find it's not, but they are trapped because that's all they know to do and it pays well. I suggest play the field a bit an experiment, try many temporary jobs. 

A life tip is never to leave one job even if you hate it, til you have secured a new job. An open a savings, 15 percent of your check goes into that and it's not touched for four years. It gives you something to have that grows over time to build your life however you want it in the future, when you want to transition into things or when things get rough an you need to pay bills but we're suddenly fired or an emergency or illness took you out of work. But hopefully that won't happen an at the end of four years you have a hefty sum that will assist with big life purchases or you can continue to grow. Whichever you decide.

Another life tip is to balance your meditation and cultivation with life experience. You go out and have fun and be human. If you don't have life experience then you will have regrets til you do an it'll interfere with your practices at some point. I took a couple years off because even though I was making progress, my teacher told me something was holding me back and sent me away.til I figured it out. I was a virgin, never had a real job, I was socially shy, I never drank, or smoked, or been to a party, I never had fun with. A group of friends, I never had a partner, all those things til my teacher came after my teacher said "keep our teachings filed in the heart , but go out there and live life because you've gone as far as you can til you do." 

It helped I travelled, I learned a lot, I was duped, great and terrible experiences. As my now passed on mentor would say, I had a wonderfully terrible time."

I went out a boy an came back as a man. Part of it was to learn how to continue practicing while interacting with the world we live in. I didn't have the benefit to go to a monastery an devote my life, so my teachers method helped me learn to find a balance and become more than just a spiritual.being, it helped me become a human being in every good and bad sense of the word.

Ultimately though people will give you answers, Damn good answers that worked for them,  but in your own heart you'll feel the way to go about things that are best for you personally.

I wish you well in whatever you do. An remember this, "No matter your spiritual attainment, no matter if you can do great things, no matter if you're more aware and perceptive than others, no matter what - you are still human." People who lose track of their humanity go insane thinking they become Gods or saints or even Buddhas when in truth they are just self deluded because of their growth has given them access to things most can obtain by continuing forward on a spiritual path.

Best wishes fellow traveler

Wow... Thank you, now im trying to be more social and open beacouse i am in a similar situation of the one which you were

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sharerp said:

I cant let myself work from home, bcz i have always been antisocial, so studying/working away from home is a way to keep me connected with the world

Yes, absolutely. Good that you see that and are looking to balance yourself :)

I think I'm the opposite actually, hence my initial advice. Good luck, whatever you choose.

41 minutes ago, Sharerp said:

Wow... Thank you, now im trying to be more social and open beacouse i am in a similar situation of the one which you were

Then my suggestion is to take more time to figure your self out, an cultivate your self as a person. 

I also suggest to learn how to think for your self, meaning that you make your decisions. Others might advise you, but in the end for good or bad or inbetween, it is you who decides for yourself. Though at times you may choose to adhere to outside opinion, I suggest cultivating a sense of responsibility even there an to take the time to think things through to get the outcome you want.

Ex. Someone might say, "let's party" an when you say "hell yea!!" It's because you're choosing to put aside study or resting for work, to relax tension an engage socially. In your mind an heart, it's not something to beat yourself up over, because you know the ramifications of your action, you consider them, an made a final decision.

No regret, whether you party, rest, or study. So if you chose to party you won't feel guilty you're of studying or resting for work, or if you chose resting you'll not regret missing the party, or if you chose studying then you won't resent studying because you chose it over party. 

Deciding for your self, an taking responsibility for your actions keeps your mind clear and sharp, so you can focus on what you do an get the most from it.

Since you said you're trying to be more social, I suggest you go to places to just be around other people. Take a book or your laptop, sit there an get used to being comfortable in a room with a bunch of people.

Then next suggestion is compliment people when you're buying things from them, it helps you calibrate your social interactions by practicing with someone who you interact with already. You can get a sense of comfort of talking with others this way that will echo into your social life.

Another social tip is to not base things on necessity or desire, but somewhere inbetween. Like you mentioned you might be going to school soon, choose to go to a study group even if it's not necessary for you but it fulfills that desire to interact. An gives you an "in" with your peers, who may or may not become friends.

Another tip is if you get nervous, put your dominant hand on your chest,  An the other hand in your pocket, while standing at an angle. The nervousness will heat your bands up usually, an putting it to your chest will cause a selfsoothing response to occur. Hand in your pocket an standing kind of sideways, gives you a sense of style covers the fact you're hiding your nervousness.

casual-relaxed-stance-14452492.thumb.jpg.4fdfd8d11c6d609e124631600cb3be37.jpg

Or if no jacket, just put your palm to your chest anyway. 

Another social tip, develop a bit of style. Even if you're poverty stricken, style is like how you represent yourself. It's about being comfortable in your own skin while looking good. Style can be found In not only how we dress, but in how we stand and even how we handle what might be considered a negative situation. Style a d Charisma is just representing yourself somewhere between how you want others to see you, and what you really are. To that end go to great lengths to maintain personal hygiene. 

Being antisocial comes from nervousness an anxiety, but it can be overcome if you keep exposing yourself to social situations and interacting with others in small doses. It will be outside your comfort zone, but it'll open up your world. Be ready for change an be comfortable knowing I was similar to you, an I did what I suggested, I made the effort, an I'm more comfortable with myself in public because of it an even made friends, have had partners. It's like nothing was as expected, but it is worth it. Genuine connections to other people is something only done in person.

People will tell you to be confident, or be yourself. What that means is to be sociable, in a way that's not too fake or obviously not who you are. An to not waiver in that.

I suggest you message Earl Grey here on the forums , he has links to a website called the art of manliness that might be helpful. If you're female, ask Kar3n or qicat for advice. It may be socially taboo to say it, but regardless if straight or gay, men an women have different approaches. 

Good luck out there 

Edited by Hancock

Well, no one knows how advanced you are in Taoist internal alchemy.  You are practicing it because is a thing for you to do now.  If you really don't have the potential to advance further in the cultivation of the Tao, what you are planning to do in your career won't matter.  You would just become another wheel or gear in this society machine of yours.  Assuming you are going places with your Tao cultivation, you should work in area that won't hurt your body, no drinking and smoking.  With enough free time to engaging in healthy life activities..outdoor preferably.  Again, sometimes, you just don't have a choice given with your own life situation and financial outlook....     

Sign in to follow this