Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Don't Talk Trump

53 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Turned out to be a young rattlesnake.  The ranger explained that they are more dangerous than adults, because they can't control their poison -- an adult will bite just once, but a rookie will spaz out and keep biting and biting.  (Somehow this reminded me of what I like to talk about when discussing the martial power of taiji -- skill is acquired sooner than control is perfected...  a technique can be mastered but its practical use might be off limits for a prudent person who doesn't have total control of it yet.  Total spontaneous control is the ultimate skill.)

I love the this concept of the young, lethal-but-spazzy rattlesnake, and think we should apply the concept as a moderation tool here at Daobums.  Rather than suspending vituperative posters, we could segregate them in a cordoned off portion of the board to be called the "baby rattlesnakes den."

• Like 6

I've spent some time around snake handlers at work and met quite a few rattlers. 

When on certain locations here in SoCal, we hire them to care for the crew and the snakes while we are in their areas.

They learn as they grow to modify the amount of venom they use, as its not easy to produce I imagine, but until they have some experience, they just dump the entire reserve everytime they strike.

So much to be learned from that simple lesson.  It's always resonated with me.

And I've watched many times as the handlers have to dig and dig, and to fill their dens with water to flush them out... and then, even when rousted in this aggressive manner, I have yet to see any of them ever come close to striking... they really resist having any kind of contact. 

They seem so pure.  So seemingly unfettered by the clusters of mind stuff and illusion I juggle endlessly. 

Sniff, survey, react, stillness. 

(yoda voice) learn much from them I have

• Like 6

The thing about getting old is everything reminds you of something else.  Every object is a tunnel into the past:  Snake & Shade

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I love the this concept of the young, lethal-but-spazzy rattlesnake, and think we should apply the concept as a moderation tool here at Daobums.  Rather than suspending vituperative posters, we could segregate them in a cordoned off portion of the board to be called the "baby rattlesnakes den."

Great idea.  When asked what he was going to do with the rattler, the ranger told us he would take it to Snake Canyon and release it there, among its peers.  Apparently there's a local canyon that serves this purpose.  

Our "Poisonous and Spazzy Snake Canyon" could be situated below The Pit...

• Like 6

Humans might be better if we shed our skin more. 

I tell you, if I was ever voted king, instead of a Purge, I'd have a nationwide Burning Man.  For a week, a gift economy yet also radical self sufficiency.  Music, art, communal eating, drinking and celebration.  Each person finding and expressing there art.  More nudity too. 

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this