It is said that Om is the sonic representation of Brahman.

To chant Om /Aum is to go back in

A is expansion (10,000 things)

U is the retraction (senses falling backwards)

M is the collapse of the mind into the Source (reversing creation of the universe)

we are retracing our path back to the source...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, dwai said:
It is said that Om is the sonic representation of Brahman.

To chant Om /Aum is to go back in

A is expansion (10,000 things)

U is the retraction (senses falling backwards)

M is the collapse of the mind into the Source (reversing creation of the universe)

we are retracing our path back to the source...

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2017/04/10/idiot-s-guide-to-taoist-alchemy/ cites:

Cosmogony....nada-sadhana, with the help of a tanpura....Spandan that has emanated out of the trigunatmaka (relating to the three gunas), equipoise of Cosmic Nature - that alone is the AUM or OMkara. (p. 266)

Quest for Divine Music by Suresh Chandra Dey.

Tanpura is tuned as Perfect Fifth/Octave/Perfect Fourth.

Octave is Sattva, Perfect Fifth is raja, Perfect Fourth is tamas.

This is the same as Taoism: Octave is Emptiness, Yang is Perfect Fifth and Yin is Perfect Fourth.

In science it is called "noncommutative phase" or complementary opposites of being in two places at the same time - the 5th dimension - from Fourier of time-frequency uncertainty.

It's the infinite spiral of yin-yang-Emptiness or the three gunas as a "universal scaling system" that unifies relativity and quantum physics - as detailed by math professor Alain Connes.

More details in the free pdf.

• Like 2

When we want to buy time to understand something we go Ummn. 

In Hebrew the word for Universe is Olam.  Often used in chant and song, very Ommie :) 

Amen or AHhhmennn (so be it) also follows a very Om-ish path. 

I certainly enjoyed chanting Om in an ashram with a hundred people joining in.  Its not so shabby in the shower where the acoustics are particularly excellent and when you hit the right tone, the reverb is tonifying.  Good for most singing or chanting, but I particularly like Rawn Clark's canticle chant YHVH. 

• Like 7

and lets face it who wants to give up their identity as a particular mind, which is a step that only or mostly a renunciate will take.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 3bob said:

and lets face it who wants to give up their identity as a particular mind, which is a step that only or mostly a renunciate will take.

death. 

I get the feeling we give up our particular mind, one way or another.  my wondering is.. does some base awareness go on?  some aspect of soul? 

• Like 3

Master Nan, Huai-chin details how when the 2nd chakra opens up from jing converted to qi - a loud OHM sound spontaneously emits from the heart. I actually heard this during a strong ayahuasca full lotus session. So actually that is the right side vagus nerve to the heart being activated - kind of like the inner ear ringing and chills is from the vagus nerve. Only the heart vagus nerve is a much stronger energy - the source of the Yuan Qi beyond death.

• Like 2

I love OM. I used to practice Kriya Yoga, and used the mantra OM all the time. Probably chanted it millions of times.

Now I know OM is external to me. If I perceive it, it just can't be who I am.

It can't be Brahman. It might be Brahma (creator), as the OM sound is the primordial light-sound that is said to have created the Universe (big-bang).

OM

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nothingness said:

I love OM. I used to practice Kriya Yoga, and used the mantra OM all the time. Probably chanted it millions of times.

Now I know OM is external to me. If I perceive it, it just can't be who I am.

It can't be Brahman. It might be Brahma (creator), as the OM sound is the primordial light-sound that is said to have created the Universe (big-bang).

OM

There is Brahman and then there is ParA-Brahman. :) 

30 minutes ago, dwai said:

There is Brahman and then there is ParA-Brahman. :) 

How can there be two of them?  Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose/concept?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

How can there be two of them?  Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose/concept?

Indeed :)

Okay - these are just categorizations. parA-brahman means "beyond brahman". 

Adding more context here --

12. Brahman is manifest; Parabrahman is beyond or prior to that. Parabrahman is prior to consciousness or ‘I am’, it means the unborn state.

http://thenisargadattasadhana.blogspot.com/2012/07/parabrahman-tweets.html

Edited by dwai
  • Like 2

Sri Nisargadatta uses the name Brahman for Ishvara and Parabrahman for the Absolute while traditional Advaita Vedanta uses Brahman for the Absolute. This is the confusion, I guess.

• Like 1

Om (I'd say the struck and unstruck) goes both ways which is really a circle if you will, I'd also say there is no Absolute without Om and there is no Om without the Absolute, to say or venture otherwise is not of Vedic based Hindu teachings.... 

• Like 1