DSCB57

Daoist attitude to diet in the modern world

90% of our energy comes from breathing 10% from food so choose wisely. Commercial foods have a low energy value.

Health care in america allows us to buy the most expensive high energy value organic foods and actually save money and not feel sick.

We are all worth it, get the good stuff. 

Food is medicine so do not put poison on what we eat and dont buy tainted foods made for profit.

Good products are not always expensive as well as expensive products are not always good. The same with the cheap ones. When I say good I mean are not empty and contain enough good energy. The secret is to feel this not obvious quality of goods, but such sensibility appears if you practice enough and are able to feel energy not only in yourself but elsewhere.

Rgrds, Ilya

• Like 2

I think the most important thing is to get the natural instinct back that little children have.I think you can do it through meditation, qigong , fasting etc.

I only planed to eat more natural like older grain forms, no white sugar, only meat from wild animals, etc. But then meditation made me go from vegetarian, to vegan ,to grainfree diet, to rawfood diet(i know some will say its too cooling but thats not true if done right), to spontaneously fasting every month etc. But also back again :) really a crazy feeling to eat meat after 10 years :)

I think its good to try different things and then look how they affect you.Fasting is a kind of shortcut to that.It just somehow activates your instinct.

Have a nice meal everybody!

On the subject of distilled water, I would just reiterate not to drink any other distilled water than steam distilled water. When you purchase the type of distilled water found in a pharmacy (chemist) or hardware store, there is always a risk that the plastic from the container may have leached into the water and contaminated it, or the actual purity of the water is not sufficiently high enough to begin with. Typically a steam distiller is also equipped with a secondary carbon filter which is ostensibly to improve the taste, but in fact it also serves to filter any heavy metals or chemicals light enough to be carried in the steam. a steam distiller is basically just a kettle with a cooling system on top to catch the steam and cause it to drip into the container. In the USA you are lucky enough not to be limited to only electric steam distillers, but you also have other types which can be placed over a stove, requiring no electricity (for when TSHTF). These are not available in Europe, sadly. The only downside in fact to my purchase of an electric steam distiller is the limit to the amount of water it can hold, which is only 4 litres. It would be far more useful to have sufficient distilled water to also wash vegetables or whatever, as 4 litres per day is just about sufficient for drinking and cooking purposes, and the distillation process is fairly lengthy - several hours for 4 litres. 

So you think that distilled water is picking up more plastic than regular and that's why it's dangerous?

Isn't all bottled water first distiled and then remineralized?

I was drinking distilled(the hardware store ones) for a few months and then stopped because jungle spirits told me to LOL. True story.

Yea for me it's important to drink mostly distilled and I came to that conclusion when I was learning nutrition therapy to treat the irregular heartbeat and my blood issues some years back.  Though I do not distill my own water, perhaps I'll look into that as well.

And one of the common responses I hear from folks regarding distilled water, is 'oh but that's dead water'.  My experience tells me otherwise.  But I am not a fundamentalist about it.  Nor many things these days.  I whisper to my water and all things before I consume them these days.

We are fortunate that here in Torrance, we have a 22 million dollar reverse osmosis plant that filters our tap water and our ground source is drawn from a wetland/marsh, one of natures finest filters, the entire bay that I live in, used to be covered in wetland before humans moved in... then for a century or so, it was home to massive citrus groves.

I tested our tap water out of curiosity and found it's ph slightly better than the filtered water we purchase.

Wow can you tell more about that plant? What does it look like? Must be huge.

Didn't you ever had deficiencies because of drinking distilled?

The argument is that being a perfect solvent it is potentially sucking out all your minerals, not just bad ones you know.

I've developed bad teeth(lack of calcium the dentist said) last year after several months of drinking distilled. But I also did a prolonged fast and later was on 100% fruit/raw vegs diet and didn't use toothpaste hehe. So I don't know what was the cause, but my joints have also became somewhat weaker after that.

I didn't notice any defficiency at all, just the opposite, my health and vitality bloomed while exclusively drinking it.  My blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol all dropped from treatment levels to normal levels in 3 months, drinking only distilled water, cutting out alcohol and sugar and replacing breakfast and lunch with my phytochemical intense smoothies. 

I haven't seen the treatment plant, but Torrance is spread out with a large industrial area, I imagine it's over in that way.  I always hoped my son's school would take them on a field trip there and I'd chaperone to go inside for a peek. 

Going into any diet just to follow our mind can lead to lack of elements in the body. Meat contains lots of energy and useful substances. The same with all other foods. That is why listening to the body is much better then going to diets just because it is popular.

Rgrds, Ilya

• Like 1

Going into any diet just to follow our mind can lead to lack of elements in the body. Meat contains lots of energy and useful substances. The same with all other foods. That is why listening to the body is much better then going to diets just because it is popular.

Rgrds, Ilya

Sounds quite reasonable. However, sometimes you just need to get rid of extra weight and you don't listen to your body any more ;) Anyways this is true in my case. My life is a constant battle between my love of food and wanting to keep my weight stable at 8.3 stone as it is

Sounds quite reasonable. However, sometimes you just need to get rid of extra weight and you don't listen to your body any more ;) Anyways this is true in my case. My life is a constant battle between my love of food and wanting to keep my weight stable at 8.3 stone as it is

I make two of you (plus some...)

Agree. But what is the borderline between normal weight and some extra? Of course if your weight would be far above 100 kilos them maybe its time to think about your appetites. But what about unobvious numbers? Then only your feelings can advice, but it would be true if you have enough sensibility of yourself, not mind. Otherwise its a risk of going into a trap of social stereotypes about the way of looking.

Edited by [email protected]

I think the following go a long ways:

Eat to sustain energy and to support health and energy levels for activity. Be in touch with your own body, everyone is different so pay attention to how you respond to different foods (more yin vs. yang foods). I tend to need a lighter diet for my body type (I find a lot of excess earth foods too 'heavy') and don't  touch meat or dairy the vast majority of the time.

Does that mean it is necessary to say you are a 'vegan' or a 'vegetarian' or a 'flexivegan' or 'flexivegetarian' or any other title that is out there? No. Does it mean to forsake alcohol or any even slightly more  extravagant food? No.

As with so many things moderation goes a long ways.

I'm convinced exercise as well is crucial not only for your health and strength of your body but also to avoid depression and other mental disorders, which many people are on pills on but could be cured with exercise.

'Eat half, walk double, laugh triple'

Edited by ganjaboy
  • Like 4

In some cases strong alcohol can activate qi and blood flow, so if you have yin dominant then in small doses it can be useful, but in case it does not harm heart (xin). Week alcohol like beer can neutralize yang dominant, again n reasonable volumes.

So even such arguable product can be useful if taken properly.

In some cases strong alcohol can activate qi and blood flow, so if you have yin dominant then in small doses it can be useful, but in case it does not harm heart (xin). Week alcohol like beer can neutralize yang dominant, again n reasonable volumes.

So even such arguable product can be useful if taken properly.

Good point. 

All foods could kill if are overdosed or cure if taken in the correct time and conditions in the appropriate quantities. In this case there are no toxic substances but there are toxic concentrations. So it vitally necessary to feel what is the best for the one in the particular moment.

Rgrds, Ilya

• Like 1

See if this seemingly unshakable truth about modern eating resonates with any of you...

It seems I can substitute the phrases "Fat Free", "Diet _____" and "Sugar Free" with Chemical Shit Storm. 

and be completely accurate...

Nowadays foods production is a heartless industry. The most importance now is the cost effective food production. But in this case producers need the foods to stay good for use, and this is a strongest impulse to add preservatives. But they make foods not so tasty... This is an impulse to add flavors. So here we are: chemically deeply adjusted food, and as a result - chemically adjusted people... It is a joke, our organism tries to get rid of all this stuff, but it takes additional qi to waste and leads to strong disharmony.

This is why its very important to understand good nutrition principles first - like Chinese nutrition system.

Rgrds, Ilya