Sign in to follow this  
JerrySeinfeld'sLeftNut

Looking for a Practice

Your heart is open and you are beginning to feel/receive stuff there. Whatever you decide, I would suggest that some energy practices be part of it. With your starting to feel stuff, simple quiet meditation or mantra stuff alone might become a little "freaky".

• Like 3

Practice.. is actually a pretty big word.  What aspects does a complete practice need? 

A sitting meditation.

A moving meditation.

A standing practice.

A wisdom practice, ie listening to 'dharma' ie speeches on right living/thinking.

Energy practices including and beyond what is above.

I've always thought beginners should look around.  See if there are any local teachers from chi gung to yoga and what's inbetween.  Try things out, see what you like, give a chance to things you dislike.  Balance.  See what connects, what is fulfilling then marry it, and be willing to flirt with other practices every now and then.

Stuff I've done- Last year, after decades of mostly cerebral meditative practices, I did something hard and physical.  Wim Hof's 10 Week program.  Heavy duty breathing, loong breath holds, and amazing cold conditioning.  Very physical stuff requiring and developing good will power.  Now I'm back to 'just sitting', but using form and methods I learned in a seminar from Stillness Movement meditation with some standing and chanting mixed in.  Simple stuff, that helps me sit longer and better.  What do I get out of it?  I don't know.. peace, some sort of reset.

I

• Like 3

I remember my first practice was a short meditation where I followed my breath for 10 minutes each day. The first thing about this was that it was fairly easy for me to do it every day. This can be important because much of the mental and physical response to a practice is simply down to conditioning, or repetition.

The second thing about this practice was that I enjoyed it, which is vital in order to keep up motivation. However, every one finds different things enjoyable so there may be some experimentation required.

What also helped was that I was introduced to it by more experienced mediators, the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order. As I got more and more drawn into this sect, I started to feel more and more uncomfortable so I simply stopped going. After a bit of research I found that it was a bit of dodgy group and that my instincts were correct - however, their instruction in meditation was first class because it was really down to earth and accessible and helped set up an interest in meditation for the rest of my life.

Your heart is open and you are beginning to feel/receive stuff there. Whatever you decide, I would suggest that some energy practices be part of it. With your starting to feel stuff, simple quiet meditation or mantra stuff alone might become a little "freaky".

Agreed 100%

Simple quiet meditation, mindfulness of breathing, and undirected mantra, especially undirected mantra are likely to be a source of difficulty in the beginning.

Simple quiet meditation and mindfulness of breathing are anything but simple.

Undirected mantra like a thing called deep meditation alone like certain websites push has caused many people big problems.

Can you please expand on what you mean by 'energy practices'?   Spell it out in terms of practices, if you can.  Do you mean pranayama or breathing, or asanas or stretching?

What would be the practice(s) that you would advocate for 1) beginners? 2) some one who has done some kind of practices for a year or two? and 3) some one who has done stretching/breathing/awareness or some practice consistently over a decade or two?  I understand totally that it would be your opinion based on your experiences.  I realize that I am putting you on the spot here.  I will be happy to know, if you wish to share.  My question seems relevant to this topic also.  I don't know about others, but I don't care if any practice includes references, some religion as long as it is constructive.

PS:  Agreed on mantra part.  It does get "freaky" after a while, based on my own experience.  But, japa seems different.

• Like 1

Can you please expand on what you mean by 'energy practices'?   Spell it out in terms of practices, if you can.  Do you mean pranayama or breathing, or asanas or stretching?

What would be the practice(s) that you would advocate for 1) beginners? 2) some one who has done some kind of practices for a year or two? and 3) some one who has done stretching/breathing/awareness or some practice consistently over a decade or two?  I understand totally that it would be your opinion based on your experiences.  I realize that I am putting you on the spot here.  I will be happy to know, if you wish to share.  My question seems relevant to this topic also.  I don't know about others, but I don't care if any practice includes references, some religion as long as it is constructive.

PS:  Agreed on mantra part.  It does get "freaky" after a while, based on my own experience.  But, japa seems different.

My advice in this matter was really specific to the OP and current energy body configuration. I was not trying to make a generic suggestion. By energy practice, I meant something like MCO or some form of pranayama. Basically some type of consciously focused energy "movement". Other forms of quiet meditation would be useful too, but having a balancing component is particularly important for the current state of the OP.

On practices in general, I think it makes a big difference on the individual and their current state of relative "clarity" rather than just any sense of amount of time doing something. Rather than how long, I would base it more on how naturally quiet your mind is... How many "threads" or different thoughts do you normally have going on in your head at one time.

If you are specifically interested in some recommendations, just send me a pm.

• Like 1

My advice in this matter was really specific to the OP and current energy body configuration. I was not trying to make a generic suggestion. By energy practice, I meant something like MCO or some form of pranayama. Basically some type of consciously focused energy "movement". Other forms of quiet meditation would be useful too, but having a balancing component is particularly important for the current state of the OP.

I asked because "energy" is such a loaded word to me.  I confuse with physics and all.  I got confused for a moment what "energy practices" truly meant.  MCO was a terminology I think I have come across before.  But, I had to lookup what MCO was.  The first result that came up on goolge was "Orlando International Airport"  :)

I thought, I didn't realize there is an Orlando airport energy practice.  :lol:   Then I figured that can't be it.  Searched, "MCO energy practices" this time, the results came up with 'Microcosmic Orbit(Taoist) Meditation'.   wow, that took some time to even read it.  But, it sounded like a term I have come across before. 
Decided, best to put it to rest for now.  Let me not add more thoughts about MCO for now.  The only Tai Chi that I know is from youtube; a friend told me that these youtube lessons on Tai Chi are not so useful.

How many "threads" or different thoughts do you normally have going on in your head at one time.

Let me see.  Hmm, it might take forever to figure out the "how many thoughts part".  That counting process could produce more thoughts.  TDB forums show the number of threads/posts next to my name, so I don't need to count that part. Thanks to the TDB forum designers :).  Just to make it clear, joking.

I remember a term some one told me, "Grand Central Head" =  mind filled with various thoughts.  That is how it feels now, about the number of thoughts.  For that matter, I wonder if mind can ever figure out the number of thoughts.  except when the thought is not on thoughts.

If you are specifically interested in some recommendations, just send me a pm.

Your post made me realize, that I should wait for this "grand central head" to calm down, before I explore new practices.  For now, I should stick perhaps to what I do.

Many Thanks for responding.

Edited by Cauvery
  • Like 1

grateful for all the responses. I currently meditate on my breathing once or twice a day. I also sit with plant medicines whenever I am given the opportunity. I am currently reading Hua-Ching Ni's work to further develop my practice.

Energy practicing

I suggest that you start from standing and focus on your hands

See if any feeling? Electricity? Warm? Something flowing?

See if you can't stand still? Your body move by itself?

See how your feet try to look for a balance ?

Observe all of these and last at least one hour a day

Better in the morning

Don't do these just for 5 minutes

One hour at least

Don't "expect" what would happen

Just be patient and "observe"

Edited by awaken
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this