Jox

Qi gong for kids

Working as a social worker at school ... I am in contact with various situations - school violence, emotional issues ...

What do you think about teaching kids, which needs professional help, some simple qigong as inner smile, 6 healing sounds and so on?

Any useful links/info, etc ...     

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

Kids have a lot of chi.

They are very easy to have chi.

They can have chi in one second.

But they can't last too long.

They even don't need any methods.

just concentrate in hands

Can have a feeling of electricity

Very soon

Some kids even can see bright light without any teaching

But when they grow up

They will lose the ability little by little

Edited by awaken
  • Like 2

Learn from Wu Liu Pai, they have (or at least their teacher) have great qigong for children. I wish they would make it public. :) or it is some potent neigong or even neidan. It's hard me to tell as I heard only some stories bout it. I think children from 5 of age can practice it. 

Edited by SeekerOfHealing

Oh, it will be very expensive.

I know someone in Taiwan teach wu Liu methods .

The teacher receive 50,000 Nt dollars for one method, the beginning level.

I don't know how much their price is in western countries.

• Like 1

Without strong buy in from the kids themselves, forcing kids to do strange (from there point of view) things usually back fires. 

Still if the kids are young, things like the 5 Animal/Healing Sounds might be a fun gamelike activity.  Likewise in the first couple grades letting them hear short guided meditations aimed at youngsters, gives the teachers a rest and lets them develop some skill in stillness, focus and imagination. 

So K through say 3rd grade might like- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwRp13WDIrMOSH7pzcrCME5e9TBaJ3wGs

Older kids might like https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuaZRqnBYUg5tCwrkcJd0wcbvkoaH8k6_ an entire hypnotic series based on Lord of the Rings.  If it proves popular you can transition into meditation classes. 

If professional qi gong teachers want to donate there time, that's great, but if its too foreign or ambitious, you'll have some parents up in arms. 

• Like 2

No, young kids should not do any qigong like five animals.  This is shaolin qigong and it's not joke even if it's looks playful. Children should practice standing meditation those who have super-active to focus their Qi one pointed or tai chi and light qigong to be one pointed with their over-activity - and I mean here neidanish taichi, not regular one. 

Edited by SeekerOfHealing
  • Like 2

... five animals.  This is shaolin qigong and it's not joke even if it's looks playful. 

More about this, please.

No, young kids should not do any qigong like five animals.  This is shaolin qigong and it's not joke even if it's looks playful. Children should practice standing meditation those who have super-active to focus their Qi one pointed or tai chi and light qigong to be one pointed with their over-activity - and I mean here neidanish taichi, not regular one. 

Have you ever taught young children, spent a few years teaching kids classes? 

Just wondering if you're speaking from theory or experience.

• Like 1

Oh, it will be very expensive.

I know someone in Taiwan teach wu Liu methods .

The teacher receive 50,000 Nt dollars for one method, the beginning level.

I don't know how much their price is in western countries.

That is a little of topic, but anyway, how many methods are in the wu liu pai?

50,000 TWD =  1,484.47 € for one method ... now, everyone who wanted to learn that stuff needs to be a millionaire ...  

Without strong buy in from the kids themselves, forcing kids to do strange (from there point of view) things usually back fires. 

Still if the kids are young, things like the 5 Animal/Healing Sounds might be a fun gamelike activity.  Likewise in the first couple grades letting them hear short guided meditations aimed at youngsters, gives the teachers a rest and lets them develop some skill in stillness, focus and imagination. 

So K through say 3rd grade might like- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwRp13WDIrMOSH7pzcrCME5e9TBaJ3wGs

Older kids might like https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuaZRqnBYUg5tCwrkcJd0wcbvkoaH8k6_ an entire hypnotic series based on Lord of the Rings.  If it proves popular you can transition into meditation classes. 

If professional qi gong teachers want to donate there time, that's great, but if its too foreign or ambitious, you'll have some parents up in arms. 

Thank you for links ... Ill take a look ...   :) 

Have you ever taught young children, spent a few years teaching kids classes? 

Just wondering if you're speaking from theory or experience.

I work with many people, kids (one was disabled) and there is adjustment with everyone. Kids should generate earth element mostly.

More about this, please.

Five animals it's for martial arts not for kids, it's advanced qigong which needs to be at least 14-15 to have developed good body to handle the qi without devation.

• Like 4

This is a timely post:

My sons Kung Fu master asked me if I was teaching my son Qi Gong - probably because my son has a ton of energy and rarely wears a coat even in the winter (he's nine).

Anyway - he suggested it is not a good practice for kids - a suggestion as SeekerOfHealing put it very well - they are not in the best position to "handle the Qi without deviation".

• Like 3

This is interesting. However, since we are always continually living in energy, we cant help but move it. Any physical exercise will stimulate this. Its odd to think that just moving your arms in a certain way will produce more acute results.

5 Animal sports is often presented as an exercise form. How does that differ from any martial art kata or routine? We can look at it just as physical movement. How can that possible be dangerous? When I read that I feel like we best stay in bed and never move at all lest we create 'qi deviations'.

Now, 5 Animal sports as spontaneous qigong is a different matter. The intent is different, and the results may be vastly different.

But...how different would this be to children merely playing at being a deer or bear or monkey? Kids do things like that to no ill effects. What has to change before childs play becomes energy possesion?

8)

Working as a social worker at school ... I am in contact with various situations - school violence, emotional issues ...

What do you think about teaching kids, which needs professional help, some simple qigong as inner smile, 6 healing sounds and so on?

Any useful links/info, etc ...

Generally I think this is good, but we need to look for age appropriate activities. There is a movement to add mindfulness training to early education. That usually involves relaxation, focus, breathing. Simple things like whole body breathing can work wonders. No need to focus on moving this or that energy--just breath, maybe open and close (like Spring Forest's 'breathing of the universe'). Even basic taiji form can be useful, without a need to delve into deeper meaning or application, like cloud hands. Goal being to calm and soothe.

I knew a girl who taught her Girl Guides Hakuin's Butter Pill meditation, although she didnt know it--visualizing a nice big egg melting from the head down. Different kids will have different needs, of course.

8)

• Like 1

The only thing you can teach kids is stillness practices and neigong and neidan, they do not need qigong or anything like that unless some of them have natural deviations or chronic sickness.

The only thing you can teach kids is stillness practices and neigong and neidan, they do not need qigong or anything like that unless some of them have natural deviations or chronic sickness.

How can you teach children neidan? Dont you need to be at least 16-18 to be able to begin such practice?

8)

I do not know about teaching kids qigong or enrolling them into classes, but I know my son is a super charged, little firecracker that loves to play with chi with me. He came upon it himself watching some cartoon (anime, I think) that talked about chi and he identified with it. We can never really know what kids experience until they are given the platform to talk about it.

Depending on the ages of the kids, I would go for a more generic approach rather than placing any labels to it.

Maybe a good stretch hands in the air and exhale bringing the hands to heart a couple of times if needed and then encourage them to pay attention to their body and how certain movements feel when we slow our minds and pay attention to our body-mind connection. Possibly have them journal about what they are experiencing and take it from there either individually or as a group?

Might be a good way for them to calm themselves- get the wiggles and/or frustrations out at the same time.

Just some ideas from a momma who dabbles in various forms of meditation, does yoga, plays with chi balls, shares and moves energy around with her family and friends.

Good luck to you, and thank you. We need more people like you in this world, Jox.

:)

• Like 1

There are some hand gestures which can generate earth element which can give good muscle tone. There are sounds which can make lower dan tien to vibrate and make boy smart and healthy beyond regularity. There are many things.

There are some hand gestures which can generate earth element which can give good muscle tone. There are sounds which can make lower dan tien to vibrate and make boy smart and healthy beyond regularity. There are many things.

Why is earth element important for children, relative to the others (5 elements right?)?

8)

Why is earth element important for children, relative to the others (5 elements right?)?

8)

because earth element is dominant while growing - weak earth element = retardation of growing and development of the body/brain structure.

Good luck to you, and thank you. We need more people like you in this world, Jox.

:)

Hahahaha ... thank you Kar3n ... Loving chi to you ...  :wub:  

• Like 1

Rather than qi gung, I`d suggest exercises from Zapchen.  These are natural things kids do anyway -- and are thus pretty safe -- that move people towards wellbeing.  

Things you might try...

yawning

sighing

jiggling

rocking

horse lips/ raspberries

stretching

getting up and lying down (precursor to prostrations)

stomping

Even better for adults.

Oh, here`s a video of a Zapchen coach demonstrating techniques to use when angry. Her remarks are directed towards adults, but can`t you see kids doing this?

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2